You Touch Your Phone 2,617 Times A Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to a new study, people touch their phones between 2,500 and 5,500 time a day. Those numbers sound pretty damn fishy to me, I don't know anyone that touches their phone every thirty seconds, twenty four hours a day. Insert your own "I don't even touch myself that much" joke here.

We’re obsessed with our phones, a new study has found. The heaviest smartphone users click, tap or swipe on their phone 5,427 times a day, according to researcher Dscout. That’s the top 10 percent of phone users, so one would expect it to be excessive. However, the rest of us still touch the addictive things 2,617 times a day on average. No small number.

I don't think it's impossible. I know people that text all day in addition to playing games, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. What they don't do is make phone calls.

Yeah, it's not the number of times you LOOK at the phone, it's the number of taps...every time you pull out your phone you probably tap it dozens of times just doing basic functions.

If people would let me play music all day without interrupting me with work, I wouldn't have to pause it every 10 seconds. ;) Sometimes it takes 20+ minutes to make it through a 3 minute song. My phone is my MP3 player and camera. I don't use it for much else, most of the time. At home, the computer is my MP3 player, so the phone collects dust.

not possible as that would not leave time for touching the woman ahahhaha

It's not like it is evenly spaced out. How many times do you tap your phone when typing a text? It's quite a few in rapid succession probably.

Play a game, type some texts, you probably blow through that rather quickly.

My wife and I probably come close. We use our phones a majority of the time as computer replacements for general Internet browsing. We primarily text people instead of actually calling them and actually meet face to face. Everyone in our families texts and it's more convenient for everyone. I probably make only 2-3 actual phone calls a week on my phone. Since Sunday, just one phone call to my sister for 15 minutes to troubleshoot a WiFi connection. My wife is about the same. I've gone a month without a actual phone call though and still keep in contact with who I need to keep in contact with.

While we are pointing fingers at this, lets talk about mouse clicks and keypresses.

They probably count each touch of any sort regardless of anything and in a way that overstates the number of touches. E.G. every 10 ms your hand is anywhere on the device.

Last edited:
I bet the cell phone engineers have these numbers worked out pretty damn well. They are the ones who have to design and engineer the devices and work out the mean time between failure, etc.

If people would let me play music all day without interrupting me with work, I wouldn't have to pause it every 10 seconds. ;) Sometimes it takes 20+ minutes to make it through a 3 minute song. My phone is my MP3 player and camera. I don't use it for much else, most of the time. At home, the computer is my MP3 player, so the phone collects dust.

Noise cancelling headphones will solve that problem. However it will introduce a new one (being fired) :p

The study doesn't mean you literally pick up your device that many times a day, it means you touch it that many times a day, or more, and a "touch" in this respect is every freakin' time you literally touch it, every tap on the screen or drag or swipe or zoom gesture or whatever.

I mean really, people didn't understand that from the gitgo? :D

The conducted their test on all <21 yo girls.... It's the only answer to how they came up with that number... I don't even know where my phone is half the day..

Back