XP, Vista now Windows 7......Ugh(rant)

Another Windows? but I just brought Windows Vista!....ah Bull$$$$$$$$$$hit! :(

I got a feeling that this may have been done intentionally to con more money from the consumers, by purposely making Vista bulky and then decide to release a more efficient version in which will be Windows 7.

No, n00bie. They've "done it" because they release new Windows versions every 3 years. The only reason they didn't release a new'n 3 years prior to Vista is because they fucked up, and had to end up releasing it as a service pack instead :D

Well I can get Server 08 for free through MSDNAA, I should grab the x64 and give it a whirl.

To you guys out there who do this ... "installed the Desktop Experience feature under Server 2008. We also enabled SuperFetch and the Indexing services on the Server 2008 installation (both are disabled by default) and adjusted the "Processor scheduling" option to favor Programs" ... is there anything else I should adjust to make it more like Vista at home?

I also read they said to turn on Hardware Virtualization and turn on the Hyper V service to use this. Why would I have to use this other than to just test some things?

Also, do you just use Vista drivers for it?

Can you use SLI on server 2008?

Cat, you've made some excellent points, however Windows 7 will be considered a major release. Basically its built up from Server 2008 (which is about good step up from vista stability / performance wise).

Got Service Pack'd Vista?

If so, click on start, type 'winver' (without the quotes) and then hit <Enter>

That'll show Vista's current NT build number to be 6.0.6001, which means it's running the exact same kernel as Server 2008. Windows 7 will be a further refinement, but the move to the Server 2008 codebase happened with SP1 just as Microsoft said from the outset it would.

Server 2008 could reasonably be called 'Vista, Server Edition', because they're built on the same chassis and engine, my friend. The initial RTM Vista release used NT 6.0.6000, but it was stated from the outset that when the improvements for Server 2008 were completed and that product ready for release Vista would be updated to ensure the two products were using the same codebase. :D

My friend just left 2000 last year, when I showed him how easy it was to break into his PC over the internet.
He had some pirated copy of Win2k from 8 years ago that didn't even have Sp4 on it, so I bought him a copy of XP SP2 and made him install it (His computer is a dual core T9400, 4 gigs of ram and a 8800GT M mind you). It came with Vista Home Premium x64, and he formatted it and installed Win2k on it. No joke.
He didn't want to make the switch to x64 even after I told him about it, but hey, at least he's able to use 3.5gb of his 4gb memory, and he's pretty happy playing CS:S on it.

I still run 2000 on an old Athlon XP machine 8 years for an OS isn't bad lol

went straight to Vista from 2K and never regretted it

2.6 years and orpanDy still only has noobie status? How many posts do I need to make before I can say goodbye to that insult beside my name?

10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5.... 2001-2008?

XP came out in 01, Vista came out in 2006, and 7 has a couple years to go. Mac OS X were all really similar though the different versions, XP vs Vista? Worlds apart.

I am a PC and I wear HEADBANDS

article-headbands-hats-complete-outfit.jpg

2.6 years and orpanDy still only has noobie status? How many posts do I need to make before I can say goodbye to that insult beside my name?

Some people don't need to post every single day, most people are lurkers, register to comment on something and are done. I've been a member for 3 years with only 666 posts...

Besides, being a [H]Gawd after a week of membership looks worse IMHO

Well I threw Server 2008 x64 on my box. Went through the workstation convertion process. Think I'm going to fraps this vs my Vista. Both OS are on the same type of HDD, so it should be fair. Thinking Bioshock, Clear Sky, Crysis, and maybe Vegas 2 with PhysX on and off. Nvidia 178.24 w/PhysX installed flawlessly and SLI is on.

I was thinking of just installing it and loading graphics drivers then going right into the games, but then I started to think about it. I would never use this with the default base UI with all the features chopped down, so whats the point of even bothering since nobody would use it as a normal station.

Now I'm just waiting for it to forget the folder views I set up.

The gap between XP and Vista is the exception, not the rule.

If you look back at Windows operating systems, they've generally been replaced every three or four years.

Windows 3.1 was released in 1992. Three years later, we had Windows 95. Three years after that, we had windows 98. Two years later, now in 2000, we saw Windows ME. Due to that operating system's horrid design, we were all granted Windows XP just a year later, in 2001.

So, why are we all complaining about Vista's relatively short lifespan?

I'm not complaining. Microsoft made it quite clear when Vista was released that they would be releasing new versions of their OS more frequently. If some people missed the memo then that is their problem.

XP was an exception. It was released in 2001 and was the "flagship" OS until 2006 when Vista was released. Even after Vista was released, in remained on shelves for quite a while.

Other Windows versions have had much shorter shelf lives. Take the 9x OS's for example - from 1995 to 1999 we went through Win95 (+several "OSR" versions), Win98, Win98SE and Win ME. On the NT side, Windows 2000 was replaced by Windows XP within two years. Even Windows 3.1 was replaced by Win95 after about three years.

Also noone is forcing you to buy Windows 7. The same people who swear by XP now will probably refuse to buy Windows 7 when it's released, claiming Vista is more stable, less bloated and faster... Some people just don't like progress. :p DX11 will be available for Vista so there's no real need to upgrade. Windows 7 is just a minor upgrade to Vista anyway, while Vista was the major release.

I can understand some peoples complaints. Microsoft should not force older OS's to be removed from store shelves so that you are forced to buy the latest version. Wouldn't they make more money if they kept selling XP at a reduced price with a disclaimer on the box that the OS is no longer supported with updates? I don't see why allowing purchasers to make that choice can't be an option.

Dead on, dont jump on the bandwagon, try vista, tons of people like it fine, Vista is no diff then when XP came out and people said they would NEVER leave windows 2000.....:rolleyes: This happens, exact SAME thing every time MS release or mentions a new OS.

Over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.......:p

While I can't wait for Windows 7 to come out because I'm skipping vista I do think that Microsoft should keep a tighter lid on Windows 7 because it might hurt Vista sales.

Vista is great the only problem is that people don't need it, and hopefully it will stay that way until 7 comes out. Many people didn't go to XP until they needed to, and many business are still using 97 and 2000 due to that same fact.

I would have jumped on Vista on release date if DX10 would have done something cool or groundbreaking but in gaming it hasn't done much yet and I don't really have a need for vista until it does.

I don't expect to see Window 7 until sometime 2010.

Anyone care to guess how many of these posts we will see between now and then?

Not to mention we all know what to expect once it has been released.

The BS that surrounds Microsoft when releasing a new OS is almost as bad a US presidential elections.

If Windows 7 is released before my next major workstation upgrade then that is what it will run. I don't typically upgrade my OS unless I am building a whole new PC. If hardware failure forces me to upgrade before 7 is out then it will be some time before I move to it.

Anyway my point is, for me hardware upgrades dictate when I upgrade my OS and nothing else.

I can understand some peoples complaints. Microsoft should not force older OS's to be removed from store shelves so that you are forced to buy the latest version. Wouldn't they make more money if they kept selling XP at a reduced price with a disclaimer on the box that the OS is no longer supported with updates? I don't see why allowing purchasers to make that choice can't be an option.

That doesn't make much sense. That's like Adobe selling CS3 when they release CS4. . . it's the new product, deal with what you need or stay with what's old.

IMHO selling last gen's Operating System along side the current is just bad for business. Leaving an unpatched unsupported peice of software out in the wild is just suicide. The ignorant Joe (Plumbers) would stick with XP because theyre unwilling to learn, and have host machines for all sorts of evil. .

why did you chuck your xfi?

Coz over time Creative has become a shit mob to rely on?

I didn't even get an XFi. Ditched Creative well before Vista even appeared, because they just don't 'play the game' in concert with anyone else or with even their user base.

Coz over time Creative has become a shit mob to rely on?

I didn't even get an XFi. Ditched Creative well before Vista even appeared, because they just don't 'play the game' in concert with anyone else or with even their user base.

Well, they play the game pretty damn good on my Vista 64 system. I have 3 friends with X-Fi's and they all work just fine... two friends with Dell XPS machines with the cards stock and my 3rd friend has one in her self built rig.

Some people don't need to post every single day, most people are lurkers, register to comment on something and are done. I've been a member for 3 years with only 666 posts...

Besides, being a [H]Gawd after a week of membership looks worse IMHO

Yikes!!! :p

Seriously, you got it right. I tohught I was never gonna get the status I have now, and I have been here well over 8 years....post count isn't everything.

That's a suprisingly good question. If they can significantly improve on Vista, I will be amazed. Since I've installed Vista x64 in feb. 08, I have no crashes (except when I installed a buggy nvidia forceware driver, but I just installed a different version and that went away), no malware, the system is lightning fast, all programs/games run great and aero looks very sleek. If W7 lives up to the hype, I will be in computing heaven. :)

Wow... lets see

Unifying the gui, Constitancy finally
Make windows explorer easier to use and information arrangement aka Library (This has been my biggest beef in VISTA)
Tweaks to make wide screen usable, many changes to windowed mode and the taskbar
UCI tweaks
Dependant services with behavior prediction, less crap running unless you REALLY need it to run
Virtual desktops

I could go on, but this is just a few of the changes coming.

And YES windows 7 is going to be a much more consumer friendly OS.

Being consumer friendly was not something that was high up on the priority list with Vista.
It is priority number 1 on Windows 7, priority number 2 is to fix the largest functionality complaints that are in Vista.

Most of what is wrong with Vista is useability, which kills functionality. Vista works, but its such a pain in the Ars that many people do not want to use it.

Windows 7 will have some quirks, but it will be miles of improvement down the proverbial human interface road compared to Vista.

Get a clue and take a look: http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

Wow... lets see

Unifying the gui, Constitancy finally
Make windows explorer easier to use and information arrangement aka Library (This has been my biggest beef in VISTA)
Tweaks to make wide screen usable, many changes to windowed mode and the taskbar
UCI tweaks
Dependant services with behavior prediction, less crap running unless you REALLY need it to run
Virtual desktops

I could go on, but this is just a few of the changes coming.

And YES windows 7 is going to be a much more consumer friendly OS.

Being consumer friendly was not something that was high up on the priority list with Vista.
It is priority number 1 on Windows 7, priority number 2 is to fix the largest functionality complaints that are in Vista.

Most of what is wrong with Vista is useability, which kills functionality. Vista works, but its such a pain in the Ars that many people do not want to use it.

Windows 7 will have some quirks, but it will be miles of improvement down the proverbial human interface road compared to Vista.

Get a clue and take a look: http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

That was one of the things that really killed Vista. Being able to make Explorer as busy (or unbusy) as I wanted. Single window as a default, not with the "Folders" menu forced as the default. Movable toolbars, URL bar, etc. - all gone in Vista.

Plus, any word on signed driver nonsense carrying over? I'm only interested in one version - 64-bit. Hell, why make 32-bit even available, how many dual-cores don't have the extensions these days?

I suppose this is aimed at the Netburst legacy more than anything else, fuckin' Intel :(

Plus, any word on signed driver nonsense carrying over? I'm only interested in one version - 64-bit. Hell, why make 32-bit even available, how many dual-cores don't have the extensions these days?

I haven't heard anything about 64 bit driver signing, but harassing users that they are not using signed drivers is alot like the UCI issue, its something that is center stage at the moment. On the flipside have drivers that do not run in kernel mode is something that has been improving at a steady rate and Windows 7 will not change in that regard.

So....the final answer is: Dunno.

To answer your second question:

Windows 7 will arrive in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Server 7, which is in fact Server 2008 R2 abit renamed, will be 64 bit only.

Windows 8 and all OS's afterward will be 64bit only. Think 2013.

Keep in mind long term (PAID) support for Windows XP expires 2014.

I 'll drop two more easter egg here for you guys. Paul Thurrott hinted at it, Wordpad is no longer castrated. It's now more like Microsoft Word extra lite edition.

The new Paint is close to the functionality of Paint.net in version 2.0.

Honestly doesn't matter to me as version 4.0 of Paint.net will be a big improvement over the currently released version. (3.36)

is the vista to 7 upgrade free?

I guess not, the vista to XP upgrade wasn't

I have 3 computers with creative cards. Man the positioning in games is the best, never had any problems with drivers either.

I 'll drop two more easter egg here for you guys. Paul Thurrott hinted at it, Wordpad is no longer castrated. It's now more like Microsoft Word extra lite edition.

The new Paint is close to the functionality of Paint.net in version 2.0.

Honestly doesn't matter to me as version 4.0 of Paint.net will be a big improvement over the currently released version. (3.36)

Hmm that's not really a plus for me. I used Wordpad b/c I didn't want the distracting GUI nonsense that Word provides. I am a pure minimalist, which is why a FULLY customizable Explorer is such a big deal. E.g. That annoying "burn" icon in Vista for example - it's like the Go Button, except that shit can't be turned off with a single-click! *shaking head*

Allow anything and EVERYTHING to be customized, I think is the key for 7.

Hmm that's not really a plus for me. I used Wordpad b/c I didn't want the distracting GUI nonsense that Word provides. I am a pure minimalist, which is why a FULLY customizable Explorer is such a big deal. E.g. That annoying "burn" icon in Vista for example - it's like the Go Button, except that shit can't be turned off with a single-click! *shaking head*

Allow anything and EVERYTHING to be customized, I think is the key for 7.

This was covered in the Windows 7 engineering blog, so go read that.

My take is that although Windows 7 will be more customizable then any previous Microsoft OS, I doubt you will be completely pleased with the changes as you are a minimalist.

on a side note: I will think of you everytime I see "progman.exe"

I ask this each and every time this is mentioned, but without ever getting an answer back. That "nonsense" in designed to make your system more stable and safer. That "nonsense" hasn't prevented me from using any software or hardware in almost two years of using Vista x64. That "nonsense" isn't nearly as big of an issue as anyone makes it out to be. So, in the spirit of being constructive, what software or hardware can't you use because of the driving signing requirement, that you haven't been able to find an alternative for?

Microsoft can kiss my butt if they think they can force Windows 7 down our throats. Windows Vista is way better, it runs leaner, has better UAC, better GUI, takes less RAM and doesn't have that new file system crap. And who needs DX11 anyways, and you know they could if they wanted to port it back to Vista. I heard that dude that pirated Creative drivers, Danny or someone, said that they could port DX11 back to Vista if they wanted.

In fact when I order my new Dell, I am gonna tell Dell that I want Vista and they can keep that Windows 7 junk. My friend's Dad said that you can't even network printers with MP3 players unless you have a special cable for your monitor, that's another reason why Vista is better than Win7.

Oh, and Halo 4 being only a Windows 7 game is BS!!

:D

Microsoft can kiss my butt if they think they can force Windows 7 down our throats. Windows Vista is way better, it runs leaner, has better UAC, better GUI, takes less RAM and doesn't have that new file system crap. And who needs DX11 anyways, and you know they could if they wanted to port it back to Vista. I heard that dude that pirated Creative drivers, Danny or someone, said that they could port DX11 back to Vista if they wanted.

In fact when I order my new Dell, I am gonna tell Dell that I want Vista and they can keep that Windows 7 junk. My friend's Dad said that you can't even network printers with MP3 players unless you have a special cable for your monitor, that's another reason why Vista is better than Win7.

QFT :p

How do you know Vista is better than 7? Do you have 7 already? Uh huh..... you are just upset because Vista is being phased out because its overhyped crap. LOL

Back