XFX HD6990 *in stock* at TigerDirect

Supplies were gone about a minute after they went in stock. All your buying now is a pre-order for the 30 cards they're expecting next week which are already taken.

He's right. They're out of stock.

There are few things in life that angers me more than a company that takes orders for a product claiming its in stock, authorizes your card immediately, and ties up your money for up to a week. Seems so sketchy.

He's right. They're out of stock.

There are few things in life that angers me more than a company that takes orders for a product claiming its in stock, authorizes your card immediately, and ties up your money for up to a week. Seems so sketchy.

lol... I have plenty of beefs with TD over similar things :p
Namely their scam protection, seems to mostly just block my account from ever purchasing anything more than once. So I have to create a new account each time. Discourages me from ever buying from TD. To date, I've only bought from them, I think, twice (yet I already have issues with something as simple as, "is their In Stock, really in stock?")

Had this same backorder issue with TD twice. Will never buy from them again. Never.

fastest card in the world eh, what does NVIDIA have to say about this!

This was my first attempt at purchasing from TD. Lost me for good.

Your giving up on a store because they ran out of stock before you could order an incredibly high demand/short supply item?

TD isnt that great, but sheehs..

Makes me wonder if I should sell my 6990, think I could get a grand for it? Haha but in all seriousness I'm glad I got one while I could (HIS from Tigerdirect). Their shipping was speedy and they had the lowest price, I have no beef with them.

Your giving up on a store because they ran out of stock before you could order an incredibly high demand/short supply item?

TD isnt that great, but sheehs..

I'm giving up on a store because they took my information and preauthorized the entire amount of sale (tying the money up) on a product they didn't actually have, despite listing it as in stock on the website at the time (as well as throughout the rest of the day). It's either piss poor inventory management, or it's a backdoor way to capture accidental preorders. I don't want a part of either.

I'm giving up on a store because they took my information and preauthorized the entire amount of sale (tying the money up) on a product they didn't actually have, despite listing it as in stock on the website at the time (as well as throughout the rest of the day). It's either piss poor inventory management, or it's a backdoor way to capture accidental preorders. I don't want a part of either.
Agreed.

When this happened to me with a Lian Li case, they said it was on back order 2 days later. Well, I needed the case sooner than they would be able to get me one. Customer service had no idea when more would be in. So I told them to cancel the order and give me my money back. They said they won't actually charge my card until it's delivered. That turned out to be false. And thinking the order was cancelled I placed an order through Newegg. Both cases from TD and the Egg showed up the same day. Now I had two of the exact same cases...

So not only did TD charge me for a product they didn't actually have just like the OP, but also they lied about saying they don't charge until it is delivered and didn't cancel my order when I told them to.

That whole fiasco in combination with their slow shipping and 'meh' pricing, I'm done with them. I'll stick to the Egg and all the fine traders here on the [H].:D

Best card on the planet, best Bitcoins card on the planet. It's normal. :)

AMD are making so much money with the 6990 and 6970 that are all back order in less then 1 minute after beeing in stock. :)

More money to invest in making the 7xxx serie better. :)

To be fair, a preauthorization isn't technically a charge, but it has the same effect on your bank account. And preauthing the full amount before checking if you have the product is sketchy.

Agreed.

When this happened to me with a Lian Li case, they said it was on back order 2 days later. Well, I needed the case sooner than they would be able to get me one. Customer service had no idea when more would be in. So I told them to cancel the order and give me my money back. They said they won't actually charge my card until it's delivered. That turned out to be false. And thinking the order was cancelled I placed an order through Newegg. Both cases from TD and the Egg showed up the same day. Now I had two of the exact same cases...

So not only did TD charge me for a product they didn't actually have just like the OP, but also they lied about saying they don't charge until it is delivered and didn't cancel my order when I told them to.

That whole fiasco in combination with their slow shipping and 'meh' pricing, I'm done with them. I'll stick to the Egg and all the fine traders here on the [H].:D

I too recently had a bad experience with Tigerdirect.. I tried to buy an ASUS 6970 DCII a few weeks ago to play during the BF3 Alpha. I ordered it on a Saturday didn't say it was backordered until Tuesday. Furthermore nobody there could really tell me when I was suppose to get it. One gentlemen said it was going to ship the Friday. Another dude claimed that they are no longer expecting any shipments/products from that manufacturer (ASUS? LOL!!!). Even one black lady was emphatic with the phrase,"You learn, when we learn about yo item." the lulz... Well two weeks went by and I finally got an answer and they weren't going to have the card in stock until August 10th.. the failz.. By this time the Alpha was already over.. I ended cancelling my order and getting an ASUS GTX580 Matrix on eBay. But who cares right? The whole purpose of me getting a new card was to be in awe with BF3..

Mind this is the first time this has ever happened to me while purchasing from TigerDirect. I actually ordered an ASUS Crosshair V Formula after I got the GTX580 and received the motherboard the next day. And going out of stock on items happens...

I just guess that I was more pissed at the fact that while my 6970 was on backorder, they absolutely failed on showing the product as "out of stock" on their website... And I see the only way of them thinking they could get away with that was that it says under availability that it would ship 7-12 days... fuck that...

I am attempting to sell my two gently used 6990s. A forum member wanted to know if I could beat tiger's price. I laughed, and said that if he couldn't get any from tiger he could always send another PM.

In all seriousness I am probably going to end up keeping these things. 45 dollars in paypal fees plus 30 dollars shipping to insure. Even attempting to break even on the cards makes me look like an asshole...

Not totally since there is a high demand for these cards...

I dunno bout that. With bitcoins going down to $6 a coin now (was around $20 when the mining phenomenom started) I got a feeling alot of people will be getting out of the mining thing.

With the difficulty at 91% couple days ago down to 89%....This shows people are starting to pull out.

Might see some nice juicy sales on the hardocp forums with 6990 and 6970's soon 0_o

Might see some nice juicy sales on the hardocp forums with 6990 and 6970's soon 0_o

Doubtful your going to see any sales on the 6990 or 6970 soon. Bitcoin mining isn't the main reason for the shortage of the cards we're seeing right now. The 6990's haven't been in stock anywhere since July 4th at Newegg (TigerDirect doesn't count) so unless the miners are all buying them direct from the distributors which is an unlikely case since the distributors aren't going to sell all their cards to a bunch of random people over major vendors like Newegg then the demand is due to lack of supply from AMD/ATI. This is also why AMD/ATI's reported sales for the last quarter are actually down from last year instead of up due to the miners because they're just not manufacturing that many cards. Because of this the price isn't going to go down on 6970's and 6990's until the next generation cards hit.

Last edited:
this thing cost the same as my older mac mini. if i had the money i would buy it now.

Just managed to trade a 5870e6 for another 2408wfp panel. Looks like the 11.8 drivers are going to bring 5x1 portrait back in force. Fuck it I think Ill keep mine and rock the 5x1 again. 2 6990s should push it better than 2 5870e6 cards. good thing that guy didn't take me up on that offer.

Just managed to trade a 5870e6 for another 2408wfp panel. Looks like the 11.8 drivers are going to bring 5x1 portrait back in force. Fuck it I think Ill keep mine and rock the 5x1 again. 2 6990s should push it better than 2 5870e6 cards. good thing that guy didn't take me up on that offer.

You cant expect to break even on used cards

Seems strange to go for this when the new 7k cards are around the corner

The new 7k cards aren't going to be available to the average Joe until early-mid 2012. Bank on it. So, if 6 months is "around the corner," and you should wait to purchase when a new card is around the corner, then you really shouldn't ever be buying a new video card.

Anyway, I purchased a 6990 from a member here. Now I'm in the market for an MSI 6970 Lightning, and my gaming beast will be complete.

Shipping in Q4 (which is rumors and speculation, afaik) doesn't mean shipping to retailers or consumers in Q4.

Only 1 DVI port?!?!? BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! - lol, on a serious note... look at all those Mini display ports!!! MMMMMMMMMMM... Mini splay pooooooooooort... *drool*

I thought about waiting for this card, but decided to say screw it and just saved some money on my GTX580 and am very happy.

Back