XFX 5970 at Newegg NOW!

Aw man..and I just ordered the Saphire 5970 when it came available this morning.

I watched this card come in at 6:20 and put it in my cart immediately and they were already gone.

Darn, I missed it again. Ah well, on the plus side, maybe that one is defective. After all its max resolution is 2500x1600 and I'm planning to play with eyefinity which has a much higher resolution ;) I'm thinking 3600x1920 :D

Ohh and you get free 'Grah-pics' with it too :D

That is 2560x1600 for one output. Eyefinity uses multiple outputs.

I think the trick is to get it in your cart the first time, and when it is back in stock hit the submit button as quickly as possible.

Damn I missed it :rolleyes: Been checking the whole last week for the XFX version, I even checked at 5am this morning, and all day today.

Then played some WoW, and just checked again, they finally had it listed on the newegg page, but of course it is gone. What they get like 10 only :rolleyes:

Im sorry but $629.00 plus for a video card............makes no sense.

Overclocked it equals the performance of two 5870s.. which would cost $800, more at the current rate. I don't think it's a bad price at all, not for this level of performance.

It's only $5 more than the other brands. If I didn't already have a 5970 I'd certainly have jumped on it. The one drawback to being a 5970 owner... my room feels like a furnace now after playing Aion for a few hours. The benefits - I had Aion maxed out at 8xAA and top image quality settings and I was able to see EVERYBODY in the fortress raid while battling with the fort general. That was pretty awesome performance!

Aion Boss fight
Aion0249.jpg

Aion Boss dead
Aion0250.jpg

Im sorry but $629.00 plus for a video card............makes no sense.

Still less than what the GT 280GTX debut at $650 when Nvidia thought there would be no competition. If Fermi wasn't delayed and delayed of course then you know the rest.

justifying a ridiculous price for a video card by comparing it to another ridiculously priced video card doesn't make sesne either, lol.

justifying a ridiculous price for a video card by comparing it to another ridiculously priced video card doesn't make sesne either, lol.

How is ~$600 a ridiculous price? It outperforms the GTX 295 by 20% or more, has DX11, and Eyefinity. The 295 retails for ~$500 and it's old tech.
Fermi will probably cost $100-150 more than the 5970. Will you say it has a ridiculous price then? Methinks you're just trolling here.

No not everybody can afford a 5970. But considering it's $200 cheaper than 2x5870. The price seems to be just about right.

How is ~$600 a ridiculous price? It outperforms the GTX 295 by 20% or more, has DX11, and Eyefinity. The 295 retails for ~$500 and it's old tech.
Fermi will probably cost $100-150 more than the 5970. Will you say it has a ridiculous price then? Methinks you're just trolling here.

No not everybody can afford a 5970. But considering it's $200 cheaper than 2x5870. The price seems to be just about right.

Well not many people are into games to the point where a 5970 @ $650 can be remotely considered. Most people are pretty practical in that regard, and why consoles sell like hot cakes. But come on man, real talk, $650 is pretty ridiculous for a video card. I mean 99% of the people out there would probably consider a $650 video card insane for it's intended purpose...to play games. Heck $330 for my gtx 295 is going to be ridiculous to most people.

Nice to see that you are happy with your purchase though regardless of what you paid. It's a great card that I would love to have. It's just way beyond my price range right now. Gaming would have to be my #1 priority at that price point, and it just isn't.

Damn I missed it :rolleyes: Been checking the whole last week for the XFX version, I even checked at 5am this morning, and all day today.

Then played some WoW, and just checked again, they finally had it listed on the newegg page, but of course it is gone. What they get like 10 only :rolleyes:

Starting to wonder if maybe they are just waiting for Christmas to come around, and bam...a bunch of 5850/5870/5970s will come into circulation.

1 thing to consider about the supply, I just configured an i7 960 system at Alienware (Dell), and you have the option to choose two 5970's in CF. It had a delivery date of 12/14 - at a price for the system for like $6500 (does not include monitor), yikes. 12GB of memory, BD reader/writer, 1.2 TB drive w/ an SSD as well, but no monitor. To be fair they have it setup with liquid cooling. Still I think I could build the same system for less then $4k.

So no doubt the PC manufacturers are getting their fair share as well.

Overclocked it equals the performance of two 5870s.. which would cost $800, more at the current rate. I don't think it's a bad price at all, not for this level of performance.

And 3 years from now, worthless.

So no doubt the PC manufacturers are getting their fair share as well.

The do. The 5000 series supply problem are made much worse by being spread way too thin.

I mean the main problem is that TSMC fails at their 40nm process. They way over promised and under delivered on it. They forged ahead with their own process smaller than the ITRS node, and it didn't work near as well as they wanted. Doesn't seem to be getting much better, either. Hopefully ATi and nVidia go with Global Foundries 32nm for the next set of cards.

The next problem is, of course, the rabid demand. People really seem to want some DX11 cards and this is all you can get right now. As such the heavy demand makes the supply issues hurt more.

However a final problem is that the supply there is is being spread real, real thin. It isn't being used in 1 product, it's being used in 5 (5750, 5770, 5850, 5870, 5970). Those products aren't being sold just in major retailers to consumers, they are being sold in major retailers, and online shops, and minor retailers, and OEMs and so on.

Well this all translates to very little of any given product being in any place. I actually found my 5870 in a small store here locally. Kind of place that doesn't even have a website.

So how thin the products are spread makes the shortage all the worse. There may well be cards available, just not in places that you are looking or are willing to buy. After all if you want a card for an upgrade, cards that OEMs have do you no good. Likewise if you are in New York, a card that is at a small retailer in Arizona does you no good.

I imagine it'll continue to be a pain for buyers for some time to come yet.

I gotta say it was the first time in a long time that I've wanted something that was on the market and not been able to just buy it immediately from whatever I pleased.

And 3 years from now, worthless.

Ya but you can't look at it like that. If you are buying to future proof, well you are dumb. I mean you can NEVER buy future proof graphics since the features change. No matter how powerful you get, in a few years the new stuff will have new features that you don't have.

However, he's right that it is good for the performance. So if you want good performance right now, it is worth it. What might you need it for? Large displays mostly. If you want to do Eyefinity, it is probalby worth looking at. 5760x1200 is a lot of pixels to push. For high intensity games, you might want more muscle than a single 5870 has.

It is most certainly not for everyone, but then even a single 5870 is not for everyone. If you look in to things, you discover that the majority of gamers use mid range hardware, and generally are a generation out of date. So any time you start talking high end cards, you are by definition talking about a minority group of gamers. An important one to companies, since they tend to spend a lot of money, but a minority none the less.

Well same deal here. I certainly don't see most people needing or wanting this card. I certainly don't, would be a waste of my money, I like my 5870. However if you have a high rez display and if high frame rates and FSAA are your goals, then this offers the best you'll get for the dollars.

Typical broke people talk.

:rolleyes:

Well not many people are into games to the point where a 5970 @ $650 can be remotely considered. Most people are pretty practical in that regard, and why consoles sell like hot cakes. But come on man, real talk, $650 is pretty ridiculous for a video card. I mean 99% of the people out there would probably consider a $650 video card insane for it's intended purpose...to play games. Heck $330 for my gtx 295 is going to be ridiculous to most people.

Nice to see that you are happy with your purchase though regardless of what you paid. It's a great card that I would love to have. It's just way beyond my price range right now. Gaming would have to be my #1 priority at that price point, and it just isn't.

It's only $5 more than the other brands. If I didn't already have a 5970 I'd certainly have jumped on it. The one drawback to being a 5970 owner... my room feels like a furnace now after playing Aion for a few hours. The benefits - I had Aion maxed out at 8xAA and top image quality settings and I was able to see EVERYBODY in the fortress raid while battling with the fort general. That was pretty awesome performance!

Haha nice pic of my Sorcerer Chyna! I had a blast there also :). Almost have my mobo and proc sold so I might be stepping up to an i7 soon hopefully.

Cagey

I have determined that there are three types of hardware enthusiasts. The Leaper, the Looker, and the Lagger. The Leaper pays $600 for new hardware the minute (nay, the second!) it comes out. Everyone depends on the Leaper for benchmarks, impressions, etc. We need the Leaper. The Looker waits for the Leapers to be finished, and then buys the new hardware when it drops to $400 or $500. The Looker is very valuable, also, as their buying rate determines how long the second price drop will last. Lastly, the Lagger knows that once the Leaper and the Looker have finished feeding, the now-not-as-new hardware will be well-tested, updated, reviewed, and stable. The Lagger will buy the same hardware a year later for $200. Are any of these people idiots? I don't think so.

I look at it the same way I look at buying Apple hardware. You pay for what is important to YOU. Apple people like smooth, pretty, things that do what they ask, and also (perhaps by coincidence) provoke some envy. So they often get less performance, but they did not ask for maximum performance. Leapers most likely do not get the best bang for their buck, but they don't want that. They just want BANG. And they want it right now. Sure, it's an indulgence, but it's their hobby/passion/guilty pleasure. Why do people buy a Lexus instead of a Hyundai or a Honda? They have the money, and that's what they want. Now, if we want to get all moral, there are certainly more responsible ways to spend $500+, but the same could be said for any of our silly expenditures. I see no problem with the pricing on the 5970, and it seems a lot of people feel the same way. Would I buy it? No, I'm a bit of a Looker. But I'm also kinda broke, and it excites me to see new hardware in the forums, especially because I could probably never see it any other way. [/RANT]

Anyway, whatever. :p

P.S. The XFX model looks verrrry nice.

Last edited:
I just received my XFX HD5970 card this morning. Looks sweet, still have to remove my 5870 to install it. One thing to note, the overvolting tool is not available for the plan jane version, just the black edition (which is BS!!) and no game bundle. Not even Dirt 2!:mad:

Heck $330 for my gtx 295 is going to be ridiculous to most people.

Wow, you managed to include your GTX 295 and its cost even in this thread. You seem to have a serious issue with justifying your own purchases if you have to post it in literally every thread on the 5970. Amazing.

I just received my XFX HD5970 card this morning. Looks sweet, still have to remove my 5870 to install it. One thing to note, the overvolting tool is not available for the plan jane version, just the black edition (which is BS!!) and no game bundle. Not even Dirt 2!:mad:

Yep, worst bundle yet. Does the generic overvolt tool work for you or are we going to have to flash to different bios and use a specific oem one?

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1699/ATI_HD_5970_Overvoltage_Utility.html

Or maybe Afterburner 1.4.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-AfterBurner-1.40-download-2410.html

Yep, worst bundle yet. Does the generic overvolt tool work for you or are we going to have to flash to different bios and use a specific oem one?

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1699/ATI_HD_5970_Overvoltage_Utility.html

Or maybe Afterburner 1.4.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-AfterBurner-1.40-download-2410.html

I'm just starting to play with it, but the overvoltage works with it. Afterburner 1.4 works as well but only has the GPU voltage. Right now I'm just struggling to get it up and running. I tried the latest beta from AMD (8.663.1_Beta5_Hemlock_VistaWin7_Nov11) and it seems to lock up my system no soon after it loads to desktop. I've loaded the drivers from xfx disc, so far so good.
The other thing I dont like is there is no fan control.

How the hell did you get a 5870 and then a 5790? Give us your hookup.

Haha nice pic of my Sorcerer Chyna! I had a blast there also :). Almost have my mobo and proc sold so I might be stepping up to an i7 soon hopefully.

Cagey

Hehe. Oh yeah, I see you in the second pic. Radeon 5000 series really is awesome for playing Aion with everything maxed out. With a faster CPU you'll see even better performance because I think you really need a fast CPU and OC it so as not to bottleneck the power of the 5000 series video cards too much.

Back