Xfinity - Cable Modem question

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
I have always owned my own cable modem so I do not mind paying the extra cost as eventually you break even. Used to be able to get a cable modem on sale and with rebate making it like $40-$60 at bestbuy...

anyway...
xfinity upgraded my internet from 600mb down to 800mb down but my cable modem doesnt support it.. I am going 1.2gb anyway -.. simple reason why...
if you go over the 1.2gb data cap (which I do) extra charge... $5 for every 500gb... up to $25.. well for $30/m can go unlimited and 1.2gb...

so...
my dilemma - cable modem - do i go Motorola or NetGear?

Motorola - MB8611 - $150
NetGear - CM2000 - $199

My wireless router is NetGear x4s and it is ok... but it is simply a cable modem... so Motorola for the $50 cheaper???
thx guys...

after reading it up... seems all of them have the same innards, less pcb layout and case design. says Motorola is better at airflow...
so everyone recommended just buying the cheapest...
so motorola for the win.. AND

bought on amazon.. guaranteed delivery 2-6pm TODAY!!!!!

I do not know networking but i hope my netgear x4s gig wan port can handle higher than 1gb...
someone at work said it is full duplex so should be good to 2gb... will see.. i guess...

Get their modem/router combo and put it in Bridge mode so you don't have to pay extra for unlimited data, it has a 2.5Gb/s port that you can use with your router to get faster than gig speeds.

And your Netgear R7800 only has a gig wan port, so you need to upgrade your router as well to take advantage of the faster speeds.

Get their modem/router combo and put it in Bridge mode so you don't have to pay extra for unlimited data, it has a 2.5Gb/s port that you can use with your router to get faster than gig speeds.

And your Netgear R7800 only has a gig wan port, so you need to upgrade your router as well to take advantage of the faster speeds.

did not know about the extra xFi $5/m service...

what does putting in bridge mode do to get around that?

for now.. i am capping at 550mb on my sb6183 ... just found it on their site.. WOW!!!!
DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 400 Mbps

so i am at least getting 550mb lol...

going to this cable modem will get me my full 800mb or so on my current plan.. and maybe I will wait to go to 1.2gb as everyone mentions I will need a new wifi router. I do not like all in ones so will most likely get a new wifi router later when xfinity goes to implement the caps...

i figure at $5/500gb... i am only using 1.4tb or so.. so my bill would go up $5 or $10 on those occasions.. still cheaper than the $30 jump to 1.2gb with unlimited...

I don't think it does. Data usage is still tracked even when you provide your own modem, so I would be willing to bet they can still track your data usage with their own equipment in bridge mode.

I got the same message at one of our sites. We have a sb6190 that's more than capable of hitting the 800Mbs, so I think this is all just a push to drive modem sales and upgrades for no reason. Used modems like ours and the usr8200 are cheap in the used market.

I'm not changing anything at this site. I really didn't need the upgrade from 400 to 600 and now 800--what I need is better uploads speeds and less ping time, both of which aren't a priority with consumer internet.

did not know about the extra xFi $5/m service...

Putting it in bridge mode allows you to use your own router, but since the Advanced Gateway has a 2.5 Gbps ethernet port, you don't need to buy your own modem to use your own router.

xFi Complete includes the Gateway and unlimited internet for $25, where if you bring your own modem it's $30 a month. So it's $5 a month cheaper to use their equipment in bridge mode versus buying your own modem.

I don't get charged $5/mo extra with Xfinity Gigabit through my own modem. No xFi though.

so...
my dilemma - cable modem - do i go Motorola or NetGear?

Motorola - MB8611 - $150
NetGear - CM2000 - $199
after reading it up... seems all of them have the same innards, less pcb layout and case design. says Motorola is better at airflow...
so everyone recommended just buying the cheapest...
so motorola for the win.. AND

bought on amazon.. guaranteed delivery 2-6pm TODAY!!!!!

I know social media can give people a warped sense of how quickly to expect a response, but you waited less than half an hour from the time you made the thread to the time you decided to buy a modem anyway. Seems kind of pointless to have even started the thread at all if you weren't willing to wait for any actual advice...

Motorola modems are trash now. For years Arris made the Surfboard line using the Motorola name under license. This made the "Motorola Surfboard" modems the go-to modems for years and gave them a well-earned reputation for rock-solid reliability. But then the license Arris had to use the Motorola brand name expired. The Motorola brand was Licensed to Zoom instead. These modems, such as the MB8611, are trash compared to the previous modems made by Arris. Zoom is milking the good reputation that Arris created by selling cheap modems using the Motorola name. Most people just think "That Motorola modem worked great for me in the past, I'll go ahead and get another one", not knowing that the company making the current Motorola modems (Zoom) has nothing to do with the company that made them previously (Arris). Arris sells modems under their own name now. If you want a good modem, buy an Arris. The SB8200 is hard to beat IMO.

Also, I wouldn't get too worked up about needing more than a gigabit port, at least not for a while. You aren't going to get more than gigabit speeds over WiFi, even with the latest WiFi standards, regardless of how hyper-inflated the marketing claims of speed have become. The only way you are getting more than gigabit over wired Ethernet is if every link in the chain between the modem and your computer supports 2.5GbE or greater. Also, more often than not, with gigabit internet, most places you download from won't even be able to max your download speed anyway.

DOCSIS 3.0 modems are capable of Gigabit download speeds. With DOCSIS 3.1 you get a lot more channels. While you don't technically need more downstream channels than what DOCSIS 3.0 can provide in order to achieve gigabit speeds, having more downstream channels can help to maintain higher speeds during peak hours if network congestion occurs.

Last edited:
I do not know networking but i hope my netgear x4s gig wan port can handle higher than 1gb...
someone at work said it is full duplex so should be good to 2gb... will see.. i guess...

Full duplex just means that the ethernet port can transmit and receive at the same time. You could transmit data at 1Gbps, and receive data at 1Gbps at the same time, but never more than 1Gbps in either direction.

WTF? Another good reason NOT to use xFI service. Sounds like a "pertection" racket to me.
All ISPs are pretty much rackets now. Everything is slowly turning third-world unfortunately.

Reactions: File
like this
I know social media can give people a warped sense of how quickly to expect a response, but you waited less than half an hour from the time you made the thread to the time you decided to buy a modem anyway. Seems kind of pointless to have even started the thread at all if you weren't willing to wait for any actual advice...

Agreed 100% but my ADHD kicked in and I do not post here much. I know a few times I have posted and got no results in days and at times I get replies back in moments...
Amazon said if I purchase soon (forget how long) i would have it delivered today so I figured, if the wrong choice, will just return it. No biggie...

I do appreciate everyone's responses...

While I posted this, I did go to google and search up and read articles on reditt and xfinity forums where people said that all of the cable modems are basically the same as in internals; however, the difference lies in the PCB layout and the case which can alter heat and Motorola was listed as someone testing with the best air flow and cooler. Where I have it, I need that.

Plus, threads usually lead to more discussions, not derailing, but still pertaining... like my nighthawk x4s will go to 1gb only and full duplex not meaning 2gb...

fwiw - I hate wireless and my cell phone (note 20 ultra) was only getting 250mb down and is now getting 600+ down!!!!!

my PC's are all connected via 10gb with very OLD connectx-1 cards with a funky connector called CX4 and not to be confused with ConnectX-4 cards...

so I have 10gb NIC then cable goes to an HP Procurve 6400CL to which feeds into a brocade that ties my 10gb and 1gb network together...
Gaming rig, plex, server 2019 for plex storage with sata pool and ssd pool, esxi 6.7 are all near each other and my esxi 7 no longer supports these cards so gonna have to start looking at newer 10gb nic's

my cell was 550mb down... now... faster

Screenshot_20210831-071827_Speedtest.jpg

and pc over my 800mb speed upgrade to where my docsis 3.0 sb6183 got me 550 as well...

20210830_215320.jpg

Just don't try to watch Plex outside of your network, Comcast upload is terrible.

Just don't try to watch Plex outside of your network, Comcast upload is terrible.

works great for me... I have 2 people that do and I also have one person that watches live tv through plex that utilizes an HDHomerun Prime card.
former neighbor that just moved from NJ to SC and cannot get the Phillies games anymore.
Before my upgrade, he could only watch 240p which is pathetic on his 55" LG tv but he said it did not matter as he would listen to the game and clean the kitchen, cook, etc...
but now after this new cable modem.... he was able to get 720p with no issues and no lag and HDHomerun Prime only does 720p...

so my gaming rig had issues where it has been powering itself off every so often... like every 5 minutes. Just got back from vacation and really havent done anything to it and been trying to figure out wtf is going on. the 844mb was on that machine and I just did a restore point back to 8/19 - day before vacation. I powered my machine off while on vacation so I do not get it but now my machine is up and running just fine and now Speedtest is reporting 944mb down!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOT!!!!!!

Glad you're happy with your choice. :) You've got a nice network there and love how you used the older CX4 10Gb--I never thought of doing that!

works great for me... I have 2 people that do and I also have one person that watches live tv through plex that utilizes an HDHomerun Prime card.
former neighbor that just moved from NJ to SC and cannot get the Phillies games anymore.
Before my upgrade, he could only watch 240p which is pathetic on his 55" LG tv but he said it did not matter as he would listen to the game and clean the kitchen, cook, etc...
but now after this new cable modem.... he was able to get 720p with no issues and no lag and HDHomerun Prime only does 720p...

Could you imagine if you could only get Netflix or Disney+ at 720p though, you'd be complaining that your download speeds are too low. Comcast is doing the same thing to your upload speeds capping your Plex experience everywhere outside your home. Hopefully they'll get with the program one of these days.

Could you imagine if you could only get Netflix or Disney+ at 720p though, you'd be complaining that your download speeds are too low. Comcast is doing the same thing to your upload speeds capping your Plex experience everywhere outside your home. Hopefully they'll get with the program one of these days.
Cable modems by their asymmetrical nature are never going to compete. Some isps will give some decent upload speeds like 50Mbs, but xfinity is very stingy with theirs, actually dropping it from 35Mb to 15Mb and just now getting back up to 20Mb and 35Mb is the max on their gigabit package. They have a 2Gb symmetrical package, but I believe it is something like $300/mo.

Cable modems by their asymmetrical nature are never going to compete. Some isps will give some decent upload speeds like 50Mbs, but xfinity is very stingy with theirs, actually dropping it from 35Mb to 15Mb and just now getting back up to 20Mb and 35Mb is the max on their gigabit package. They have a 2Gb symmetrical package, but I believe it is something like $300/mo.

DOCSIS 3.1 is capable of 1Gb+ upload speeds and 3.0 is capable of 200 Mbps. It's just Comcast has to support it which they don't seem to care about except for their Gigabit Pro service which is fiber not cable.

DOCSIS 3.1 is capable of 1Gb+ upload speeds and 3.0 is capable of 200 Mbps. It's just Comcast has to support it which they don't seem to care about except for their Gigabit Pro service which is fiber not cable.
Yep, but they're not the only one--most isps don't care about upload speeds. Comcast goes far enough to even remove technically compliant modems just to feed the planned obsolescence cycle. And that would be okay as those modems are perfectly fine for most people that don't even have such high plans--unfortunately, most people don't buy used so a lot of working equipment gets trashed and adds to the growing e-waste problem.

I think the next few years as 2.5Gb becomes more prevalent and symmetrical cable services become available there might be some better upload speeds, but it will be interesting to see if cable ever goes fully symmetrical.

[ .. ] Comcast goes far enough to even remove technically compliant modems just to feed the planned obsolescence cycle. [ .. ]
SamirD

So I have Comcast, but I can't remember the plan details right now. I don't have/don't need/don't want X1, and I have a separate, paid for, Arris cable modem. Are you saying that Comcast might "remove" that modem? What does that mean, it stops working? As long as that modem works, I have no plans to replace it.

SamirD

So I have Comcast, but I can't remember the plan details right now. I don't have/don't need/don't want X1, and I have a separate, paid for, Arris cable modem. Are you saying that Comcast might "remove" that modem? What does that mean, it stops working? As long as that modem works, I have no plans to replace it.
I'm in the same boat as you. And they've upped my plan again, now to 800/20. I don't need the 800 so I'm not worried about the speed there (will enjoy the boost to 20), but what I've noticed is that now I get email messages every so often about an 'unsupported modem'. How ironic since my modem is good to 1Gb, but is an older one, and another isp where I have the exact same modem on a 500/50 plan keeps reminding me that I can upgrade to 1G/50 (which I don't need) and tells me my modem is perfectly fine.

I think this is more about network management than anything else since they have to provision and keep firmwares for all the modems that people use. But then why not just give the modems for free like Charter/Spectrum does? Then you can control how many models of modems you have and the management of them. Different isps, different management styles I guess.

But I too plan to stay on my current modem (sb6190) until they force me to get off. Hell, if I was on a slower plan, I'd just use my sb6183 even though it's supposedly not supported either.

I have seen instances of comcast spontaneously removing a modem from an account, but I don't know how often that happens.

SamirD

No one ever accused Comcast of having superior network management.

So far I haven't gotten any "unsupported modem" emails. I get lots of spam about upgrading my email account settings. :ROFLMAO:

SamirD

No one ever accused Comcast of having superior network management.

So far I haven't gotten any "unsupported modem" emails. I get lots of spam about upgrading my email account settings. :ROFLMAO:
I don't think any isp could be accused of that. :ROFLMAO:

I only got one or two emails about it so far.

I'm in the same boat as you. And they've upped my plan again, now to 800/20. I don't need the 800 so I'm not worried about the speed there (will enjoy the boost to 20), but what I've noticed is that now I get email messages every so often about an 'unsupported modem'. How ironic since my modem is good to 1Gb, but is an older one, and another isp where I have the exact same modem on a 500/50 plan keeps reminding me that I can upgrade to 1G/50 (which I don't need) and tells me my modem is perfectly fine.

I think this is more about network management than anything else since they have to provision and keep firmwares for all the modems that people use. But then why not just give the modems for free like Charter/Spectrum does? Then you can control how many models of modems you have and the management of them. Different isps, different management styles I guess.

But I too plan to stay on my current modem (sb6190) until they force me to get off. Hell, if I was on a slower plan, I'd just use my sb6183 even though it's supposedly not supported either.

I have seen instances of comcast spontaneously removing a modem from an account, but I don't know how often that happens.

i thought my old cable modem was faster than it was. I was getting 550mb down on the 800mb plan and after placing the topic here and googling, I then realized mine said capped at 400mb!!! so to get 550mb was great.
After going with this cable modem (Motorola), I am getting 944mb and loving it. No issues so far and certain things are even faster than they used to be.
Like I think I mentioned above..

my ex neighbor hits my plex server that has an hdhomerun prime box. He used to only be able to get 240p resolution but said he mainly just listened to it somewhat on his 55" LG tv.

Now he can hit 720p and says it is so clear.

I have been downloading things like drivers, etc and WOW the speed!!!! most things are INSTANT!!!

i thought my old cable modem was faster than it was. I was getting 550mb down on the 800mb plan and after placing the topic here and googling, I then realized mine said capped at 400mb!!! so to get 550mb was great.
After going with this cable modem (Motorola), I am getting 944mb and loving it. No issues so far and certain things are even faster than they used to be.
Like I think I mentioned above..

my ex neighbor hits my plex server that has an hdhomerun prime box. He used to only be able to get 240p resolution but said he mainly just listened to it somewhat on his 55" LG tv.

Now he can hit 720p and says it is so clear.

I have been downloading things like drivers, etc and WOW the speed!!!! most things are INSTANT!!!
Nice. I'm curious if your upload speeds also increased over your older modem. That would explain the plex changes.

Nice. I'm curious if your upload speeds also increased over your older modem. That would explain the plex changes.
no it did not.. i was getting 17mb up then and that is all I am getting now... so I too do not understand what else has changed...

no it did not.. i was getting 17mb up then and that is all I am getting now... so I too do not understand what else has changed...
Hmmm...maybe the route changed to your neighbor so there's less ping or maybe there was packet loss before. Who knows. Definitely doesn't make sense that a modem would change anything.

I have Xfinity 1.2Gb down and 50mb (lol) up.
I actually get 950~ down (my switch is limited to 1gb) and about 45 up.
Running an Arris SB8200 because they wouldn't let me stick with my SB6190.

I do run a plex server and have multiple people watching at a time, however they don't seem to care about going higher than 720p, probably because going any higher than 720p requires changing a single setting on their end and no one seems to care enough to do that. *giant shrug emoji*

I have the same plan and pretty much the same speeds as you. My SB8200 seems to have started losing lock randomly about a week ago after having been solid for about 3 years. I just picked up a Netgear CM2000 to replace it and I'm hoping it gives me more years of solid service.

I have the same plan and pretty much the same speeds as you. My SB8200 seems to have started losing lock randomly about a week ago after having been solid for about 3 years. I just picked up a Netgear CM2000 to replace it and I'm hoping it gives me more years of solid service.

still 950 down?
at the top of my thread here, i started asking as I was going to go to the 1.2gb plan.. still going to as that includes the unlimited plan... vs the new bullshit charge you for overage caps.... while it would be cheap each month.. $5 or $10 or $15 here... straight up $30 to go unlimited...

I am getting 944mb down on the 800mb plan but my 18mb up... is worth paying the $ to get up speeds going... heavy gaming, lots of online streaming and outside plexin... wish comcrap would go higher like my bud with fios
he is on 1gb u/d and he gets 750 u/d...while not 1gb he is getting 750mb up!!!!

I only had a 1gb plan when I bought it and they upgraded me to 1.2gb along the way... Nothing in my setup (modem, router, other router, switch, Ethernet ports, etc.) Are rated for over 1Gb so I'm not surprised that's where I'm capped.

I'll upgrade in a few years, but that'll involve rewiring the Ethernet for the entire house so I'm fine where I'm at for now.

I need to see if I can get rid of the unlimited /extra modem fee, as those are quite a bit of my monthly bill right now. Fucking Xfinity.

I only had a 1gb plan when I bought it and they upgraded me to 1.2gb along the way... Nothing in my setup (modem, router, other router, switch, Ethernet ports, etc.) Are rated for over 1Gb so I'm not surprised that's where I'm capped.

I'll upgrade in a few years, but that'll involve rewiring the Ethernet for the entire house so I'm fine where I'm at for now.

I need to see if I can get rid of the unlimited /extra modem fee, as those are quite a bit of my monthly bill right now. Fucking Xfinity.

yeah i am wired cable into house into cable modem in basement... cable modem to family room (1gb wired) netgear nighthawk x4s... then all the way back to the basement into a brocade 48 port to which i have a few 1gb then rest 10gb...

i bet i will be limited to 1gb as well, thus why i may not go up... comcrap is going to charge $5 for every 500gb overage, max $25... so i may say screw it as the unlimited plan is $30

I do run a plex server and have multiple people watching at a time, however they don't seem to care about going higher than 720p, probably because going any higher than 720p requires changing a single setting on their end and no one seems to care enough to do that. *giant shrug emoji*
How did they keep you from running the sb6190? Would they not allow you to have the 1.2/50 plan unless you changed the modem? If you changed back to your 6190 do you think they'd even notice?

still 950 down?
at the top of my thread here, i started asking as I was going to go to the 1.2gb plan.. still going to as that includes the unlimited plan... vs the new bullshit charge you for overage caps.... while it would be cheap each month.. $5 or $10 or $15 here... straight up $30 to go unlimited...

I am getting 944mb down on the 800mb plan but my 18mb up... is worth paying the $ to get up speeds going... heavy gaming, lots of online streaming and outside plexin... wish comcrap would go higher like my bud with fios
he is on 1gb u/d and he gets 750 u/d...while not 1gb he is getting 750mb up!!!!
Upload can help with anything that's exiting your network like plex and to a certain extent helps keep the 1.2 speed running at that speed because without the ack from your end, the server on the other side doesn't know to continue sending, so it does help--just not in a big way unless you're doing a lot of uploading.

You can probably move up to 2.5Gb without rewiring anything. Hence the newest modems are shipping with 2.5Gb ports.

Back