Xbox Series S

Nightfire

2[H]4U
yup.

Like an xbox one x. MSFT hyping this as a 1440p next gen console seems... off to me

The console is 4 TF. If you thought that this was a 1440p 60 fps console on most titles, you probably thought that the One X would be a 4k 60 fps title as well.

Like anything else being sold, you have to look past the first page of the brochure.

Axman

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone know if you can plug a USB optical drive into this? Also, for older gaming support, can you use a USB drive for storage?

I only have a 1080p TV, so if I can make this work and save a couple hundo that'd be cool, although I'm perfectly fine with spending more for legacy gaming if that's the way things do.

Derangel

Fully [H]
Anyone know if you can plug a USB optical drive into this? Also, for older gaming support, can you use a USB drive for storage?

I only have a 1080p TV, so if I can make this work and save a couple hundo that'd be cool, although I'm perfectly fine with spending more for legacy gaming if that's the way things do.

You cannot plug in a USB optical drive. You can use a USB drive to store and play Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games, as well as store (but not play) Series games (including games that have gotten a Series specific version like Watch Dogs or AC).

Nightfire

2[H]4U
You cannot plug in a USB optical drive. You can use a USB drive to store and play Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games, as well as store (but not play) Series games (including games that have gotten a Series specific version like Watch Dogs or AC).

No XBOX 360 HD DVD support??!

Here is a review of the system from digital foundry:

A little disappointing on some of the support for older titles. X360 era games should be able to run at the same 9x upscaling as the Series X, even with the weaker hardware. One S games should get a much bigger boost as well, ie 4x upscaling at 60 fps.

Other than that, it seems like a solid machine for casual gaming.

Nightfire

2[H]4U
Borderlands 3 looks to be the most impressive Series S showing yet and hopefully a sign of things to come.

The first few games that Digital Foundry tested had the Series S running at 1080p 30 fps or sub-1080p at 60 fps. Given the same game, these results were always worse than the One X.

Here the game runs a solid 60 fps at 1440p dynamic on the Series S while the One X ran 30 fps at 1800p dynamic or a very unstable 60 fps at 1080p.

Nightfire

2[H]4U
Grabbed one for $400, which is about $70 over retail (9% tax).

Not terrible but the first time I bought something over retail so it feels a bit crummy. Coming from an Xbox one, it should be a nice boost. I will see once I am done with the local transfer.

The internal drive is small, but I still managed to get 2 esports plus a few AAA titles in there. Best Buy had external wd black game drives on sale so I picked up a 5 TB for $130.

Nightfire

2[H]4U
Great so far. Man this thing is small, and no power brick. If you factor that in, it's about 1/3rd the size of a my XB1 making it great for travel.

Silent as well, averaging 70w on Apex Legends.