Xbox One's 20 launch day games revealed

Kinsaras

2[H]4U
Microsoft has unveiled the list of 20 games that are "targeted" to become available on the still-unspecified launch date of the Xbox One.

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive)
Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)
Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)
Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)

It's a pretty standard launch lineup. There's a few I'd be interested in, but not enough to make a purchase at this point.

No Titanfall? That's the only launch title on either console that looks remotely interesting.

Some good stuff on there, but nothing stands out that I won't be able to get for the PC.
It'll be interesting to see if Sony's looks similar.

Some good stuff on there, but nothing stands out that I won't be able to get for the PC.
It'll be interesting to see if Sony's looks similar.

I think Sony's list will have Killzone and maybe Infamous, and some racing game (I don't like racing games, so I never learn the names).

I'm interested in Forza 5, and Dead Rising 3. It's a shame Titanfall isn't a launch title.

I'd rather have a game when it's done, rather than crammed into a launch window half baked.

You'll get no argument from me. It just would have been nice if it made the launch, since it's one of the games I'm most interested in, from the titles they showed off at E3.

You'll get no argument from me. It just would have been nice if it made the launch, since it's one of the games I'm most interested in, from the titles they showed off at E3.

I agree, but I find that most games that come out during a console launch tends to be dissapointing. Most console launches tend to have only a small amount of decent games, and the chances are, the game you're interested in isn't one of them. That's my experience, anyways.

9 exclusives.
Only two I am interested in: Forza and Ryse (now that we know it's more than just QTE the game).
But I am kind of over Forza as I am getting deeper into PC racing sims. So really just Ryse.

This console is still a pass for me.

Dead Rising 3 is all I see. Everything else doesn't interest me, or it's available on PC.

Dead Rising 3 is all I see. Everything else doesn't interest me, or it's available on PC.

Here's a link to a new trailer, on IGN. NSFW (naughty language and lots of gore)... no gameplay footage though.

In other news, if you're a big fan of soccer, the 360 and Xbox One versions of FIFA 14 will have legendary players in the "Ultimate Team" mode. If that wasn't enough, if you pre-order the Xbox One, in Europe, you'll get FIFA 14 for free.

At first I wasn't going to spend the money, but now that I have found out Zumba Fitness will be a launch title I think that I can't resist.

That and Battlefield 4....

I want Forza and would buy the system just for that. But I already spent a lot of money on the last wheel and supposedly it won't work on the new system? I doubt I would buy an Xbone now. I think they screwed that part up.

Cool. Plenty to keep my happy/busy. Then next year I'll get a PS4 and all the fanboy crap will be ignored entirely this generation as I get to keep up with both platforms.

I want Forza and would buy the system just for that. But I already spent a lot of money on the last wheel and supposedly it won't work on the new system? I doubt I would buy an Xbone now. I think they screwed that part up.

I have the 360 wheel too, but it's already sitting and collecting dust regardless. After I got a G27, the MS wheel felt terrible. It was actually more comfortable for me to just go back to a controller and take a more casual approach to racing games on consoles, and save the wheel use for PC.

But yeah, the X1 won't support old peripherals. Not surprisingly, really. The only console I can think of that ever supported the previous generations controllers was the PS2 (I don't count Wii since the GC ports were only for GC games).

Cool. Plenty to keep my happy/busy. Then next year I'll get a PS4 and all the fanboy crap will be ignored entirely this generation as I get to keep up with both platforms.

That's kind of my plan as well. I know I'll be getting both, because both have a lot of exclusives I will want. The biggest question that remains to be seen is which console offers the better online experience (thus far MS has always dominated here, but Sony seems to be learning), and which will provide the better experience with multi-platform games. In the previous generation the 360 was heavily favored by devs and was pretty much always the lead platform. This showed, and the 360 versions of games often had a slight graphical or performance edge (and sometimes a huge one, look at all the trouble Skyrim had on PS3). It'll be interesting to see how thats going to change now that Sony's console is much more developer friendly.

Peggie 2 is considered a title?

Why not? It's a ton of fun. It may not be a system seller, but it can certainly be a positive note in a long list of pros and cons to the gamer who will only end up with one console.

You have to consider that this is the first major console launch (I'm excluding the Wii U and handhelds) to happen in the modern world of digital distribution and indie games. Look at how huge of a deal Sony is making over being indy friendly... that's never been a factor in a consoles launch before now. But as we are now, indy support as a whole could easily be a deciding factor in the coming console war.

i'm pre-ordering forza, just so I have the special launch version for when I can get an X1.

Dead Rising 3 producer: No two zombies are the same

Dead Rising 3's zombies are beautiful and unique snowflakes, each bloodied and gussied up in different ways. Capcom Producer Mike Jones told CVG that players will never see the same two zombies twice.

"It's all procedurally generated: hair styles, clothing, colors, textures," Jones said. "And the gore is, too: missing jaws, missing eyes ... it's all totally dynamic. That's a whole system that we built. We didn't just model the zombies, we had to model the pieces and the system puts them together."

Full JoyStiq Article

I'll be the first to say the whole "never see the same two zombies twice" comment is probably bull. I don't know how many different combinations they have (faces, hair, clothing, scars, etc.), but I'm sure at some point there are going to be identical zombies. Still, it's cool to hear that there's a whole dynamic system in place to make a large pool of zombies, different from each other.

I'll be the first to say the whole "never see the same two zombies twice" comment is probably bull. I don't know how many different combinations they have (faces, hair, clothing, scars, etc.), but I'm sure at some point there are going to be identical zombies. Still, it's cool to hear that there's a whole dynamic system in place to make a large pool of zombies, different from each other.

Capcom said something similar about Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube. Technically it was true, but then there was only what, 40 zombies in the whole game?

Proceedurally generated zombies... interesting. If the different decomposition levels affects the zombie's abilities to some extent, that might be pretty neat, actually.

All I see is Killer Instinct o_o

I may buy an Xbox One for KI only. I must play it.

I really feel like the ship has sailed for me to ever understand the appeal for the KI games. Oh well.

Really its the nostalgia factor for me, I grew up on Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat in the Arcades, but the first time I heard that Killer Instinct arcade from across the room I was blown away! I spent hours and countless quarters playing it with friends amongst crowds of people cheering & clapping at each Ultra Combo victory, it was an event & it was the best looking and sounding fighting game I had ever seen, and imo with the new one around the corner it still holds true to this day.

Check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THusLG54RGQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=354

A couple of things have changed in the game though, the bloody text has been changed to a more metallic look and you can now do a Ultra-Finisher move. But you can see just how intense the fighting is.

Last edited:
Really its the nostalgia factor for me, I grew up on Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat in the Arcades, but the first time I heard that Killer Instinct arcade from across the room I was blown away! I spent hours and countless quarters playing it with friends amongst crowds of people cheering & clapping at each Ultra Combo victory, it was an event & it was the best looking and sounding fighting game I had ever seen, and imo with the new one around the corner it still holds true to this day.

Check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THusLG54RGQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=354

A couple of things have changed in the game though, the bloody text has been changed to a more metallic look and you can now do a Ultra-Finisher move. But you can see just how intense the fighting is.

I didn't grow up in an area that had any arcades, so I'd imagine that was a big factor for me.

The only next gen game i want is plants vs zombies, games really don't interest me anymore. I'll go next gen this time next year

I didn't grow up in an area that had any arcades, so I'd imagine that was a big factor for me.

I did and I don't remember having much appeal for long. Once you got over the “OMG! TEH GRAPHIX!” moment it was a pretty subpar fighting game with poor balance, like overpowered fighters everyone had to use. Button mashers could easily pull of 50+ hit combos. People in my arcades quickly fell back to the SF and MKs series of fighting games.

so 16 of the titles are sequels and people complain about other consold not having more exclusives for launch lol....

so 16 of the titles are sequels and people complain about other consold not having more exclusives for launch lol....

So Sony fans complain about Microsoft not having new IP's and yet are basically begging naughty dogs to make another Uncharted or TLOU sequal

Fuck the new Killer Instinct. The new Glacius makes me want to puke.

Machinima to launch Xbox One companion app on November 22

Machinima has partnered with Microsoft to produce an upcoming Xbox One-exclusive companion app offering in-game guides, reviews, and video content alongside gameplay.

By using the Xbox One's "snap" functionality, players will be able to pin the Machinima app atop gameplay, giving access to game-specific help and other site content.

Full JoyStiq Article

Could come in handy, especially if you want to see a video on accomplishing something, and you don't have a second device and screen.

Project Spark won't require Xbox Live Gold on any platform

Project Spark, Microsoft's game-creation app for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC will not require a Gold-level Xbox Live subscription to play. The news comes from community manager Mike Lescault, who said in a Reddit thread...

Full JoyStiq Article

I'm guessing you'll need gold to actually create, but it's cool it's not required to play.

Microsoft to offer dedicated servers for all Xbox One games

Dedicated servers will be offered for all Xbox One games, Microsoft has announced. Dedicated servers for the Xbox One versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts and Titanfall were previously confirmed.

Senior Xbox director Albert Penello shared the news on Twitter, simply stating "yes" when asked if the Xbox Live Compute resources include dedicated servers for all Xbox One games.

The Xbox Live Compute service is a means to allow creators to utilize scalable, cloud-based computing resources that Microsoft manages within its regional datacenters. This is meant to extend the technical limitations of what is traditionally possible through the finite resources of one console.

Full GameSpot Article

I can't remember if this was a given before, but maybe it just wasn't confirmed for all games. Either way, good news.

Even though it's not a launch game (It's a "launch window" title), I figured I'd post this here. It's a 20 minute Titanfall presentation at the EB Expo Arena, in Australia. It happened earlier this month, but I hadn't seen it before and there's some new footage. Click here to check it out.

Back