Xbox Next Specs

Well it looks like the preliminary specs were correct. The hardware in the XBOX 2 looks amazing, I sure cant wait to get one of these.

From First Link said:
CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

THere is more, but its really just the guys reaction about this hardware. Im sure we can all generate our own reaction based on the above specs.

Munhihausen said:
I always hear about the "specs", but what about the price?

No doubt it will be the same price as previous consoles when it is released.

On the three CPU cores...is it three cores each operating at 3ghz each, or does each core operate at 1ghz?

Also, I'll bet the price will be in the $300-400 range.

Note there will be 2 versions .. one with a hard drive --- the other without. SO there will two versions which will both have their own associated cost.

I think the real question is ... can we mod the no hard drive version, and install our own.

:D

Looks good. Now I want to see the specs of the ps3 and the next gamecube. I personaly will be getting a hd with the next xbox.

Sounds to me more like the hard drive is going to be pitched as an add-on (possibly external) accessory.

HaMMerHeD said:
Sounds to me more like the hard drive is going to be pitched as an add-on (possibly external) accessory.

I saw somewhere, definatly in rumour form (and I can't remember how credible) that the HD would be a sort of module that attaches to the top of the console, it was described as being like the hood scoop on a car, rather than a slot in one like the PS2, and that it will be availiable as a separate purchase if you buy the non-hd version at the outset.

It seems feasible, MS might sell different packages (with/without HD), but they aren't going to want to run two production lines, so it'll be one base model+accesories.

I am thinking it will be a slip-in thing, like the PS2 had. As an external one wouldn't lend itself to well for the caching of files while playing.

As for prices, probably won't here anything til E3, if even then.

E3 should be the best ever! All three makers showing off for us. SHOWDOWN!

im ready to preorder.

the mandatory xbox live and mandatory 720p got me hooked.

Garage81 said:
im ready to preorder.

the mandatory xbox live and mandatory 720p got me hooked.

Exactly! Same here. Although it is only Mandatory "LIVE AWARE", still cool!

Also, the mandatory custom soundtrack option!!!! Does this mean no more hearing the same 9 dumb songs from EA!?

But the wording confused me:
All Xenon games can be played using custom soundtracks. Owners can also play their own music directly. Supported formats are MP3 and WMA. Files can be encoded up to 320Kbps CBR or VBR stereo. The system is branded a Music Player Service.
What does that all mean?

Also:
Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

I must have skimed over that part! Am reading that right? 1gig for a memory card!? Since the interface is USB2, how long before someone has a mod to use any USB2 stick on the market?

Tiny said:
...As an external one wouldn't lend itself to well for the caching of files while playing.

Why not?

It won't be of course, but all the "internal" drives in PCs are still at the end of a cable...

No, the with/without HD thing will be part of the marketing campaign for the two versions, so it won't be something invisible like a slot in the back, plus I don't think they'll want to have a big gaping hole in their shell like the PS2, I'm still voting for a 2.5" or low profile 3.5" drive in some kind of sleek, curvy blister that attaches directly to the outside and fits in with the design.

Tiny said:
Also, the mandatory custom soundtrack option!!!! Does this mean no more hearing the same 9 dumb songs from EA!?

But the wording confused me:
What does that all mean?

Doesn't the current X-Box sort of do that already?

Nice specs. I won't really believe them until it's actually slated for the shelves and is out there. I'm sure the reason the alpha versions are they way they are now is in part the cost to put that kind of machine together in that manner. Either way it will all be interesting to see where this goes.

Keep in mind too that consoles MUST be "one step ahead" of the PC industry at launch because they're destined for 2-4 years of operation. As per usual these hardware specs are marginally better than your top end PC today.

Another thing to note is the RAM. Keep in mind their mention that this should not be equated to PC RAM which is very true. They don't need to load up a bloated OS along with all the other crap that you put onto a PC thus, you keep an exceptionally small footprint for the OS and leave a ton of RAM available for your games.

As I said...I won't really believe it until I see it however, these rumors are fairly convergent as of late and things are looking good that the Xbox2 will be a kick ass platform.

I think Gates owes us an amazing gaming platform for a good price, after how many version of windows, and countless MS titles that have been, well ..... less the stellar.

A total of 9 ghz of cpu power and graphics that are more powerful than a x800 series card? I'll believe it when I see it instead of getting off to rumors. ;)

Also, only 8mb of memory? There is no bloated OS, but I don't see how any game would run with 8mb of ram. I guess they could use the drive like a page file but, if the hdd is optional..........
It is a bad sign when your graphics card has more ram than your system.

I wonder how big and hot this thing will be. Sounds expensive to what with three CPUs.

big deal about the specs. all about the games. everytime specs come out a pissing contest ensues. specs don't make a console, games do. meh

No mention of backwards compatibility... :(

I sure do hope its there. While my XBOX game library is small (SC2, Halo, Halo2, Ghost Recon2), I hate to see MS loose this round again because they don't have a substantial library for the first six months.

It will be interestiing to see if someone gets linux up and running on that thing and runs OSX using MoL.

I also hope to see KB/Mouse support because of the MCE version. MMMMmmm.... Halo3/GR3/etc with KB/Mouse.....

MartinX said:
Why not?

It won't be of course, but all the "internal" drives in PCs are still at the end of a cable...

No, the with/without HD thing will be part of the marketing campaign for the two versions, so it won't be something invisible like a slot in the back, plus I don't think they'll want to have a big gaping hole in their shell like the PS2, I'm still voting for a 2.5" or low profile 3.5" drive in some kind of sleek, curvy blister that attaches directly to the outside and fits in with the design.

Good point on the design part. Makes a lot of sense.

As far as the external/internal HD performance, I just thought that the USB interface wouldn't allow for the needed read/write duty that it would intel. But I guess a game wouldn't even begin to saturate the channel specs for either.

Good thinking on the design part, I didn't even begin to think of that. Along with the marketing too.

markt435 said:
big deal about the specs. all about the games. everytime specs come out a pissing contest ensues. specs don't make a console, games do. meh

Well, it is a good thing that they are landing all these highly regaurded Japanese game makers then.

Indeed it is the games that make or break a console, but it is nice to have hardware that allows for the games to become more and more purtty and immursive.

Dew said:
No mention of backwards compatibility...

I sure do hope its there. While my XBOX game library is small (SC2, Halo, Halo2, Ghost Recon2), I hate to see MS loose this round again because they don't have a substantial library for the first six months.

I don't understand this. Well, I understand the wanting to use one console to play different generations of games for the sake of shelf space and TV ports. I don't understand why it is so important, you still have your Xbox. When you buy the Xenon, they don't take your Xbox away.

It would be nice, but I personally don't find it a make or break feature. Plus support of legacy usually impeeds inovation, 'cept for the PS2. However, being that the architectures of the two are so different I don't see it happening. I don't see it happening for the PS3 either.

Yiffy said:
I wonder how big and hot this thing will be. Sounds expensive to what with three CPUs.

It is 1 CPU with 3 cores. Also, MS (read Steve Balmer) has stated that the Xenon will be smaller than the Xbox. How much so will be seen at E3.

GlobalFear said:
A total of 9 ghz of cpu power and graphics that are more powerful than a x800 series card? I'll believe it when I see it instead of getting off to rumors. ;)

Also, only 8mb of memory? There is no bloated OS, but I don't see how any game would run with 8mb of ram. I guess they could use the drive like a page file but, if the hdd is optional..........
It is a bad sign when your graphics card has more ram than your system.

that 8mb is not ram, it's memory, like a memory card for game saves. so it has the same 8mb as current xbox memory cards, plus a bunch for user data, i'm guessing that means mp3's, etc.

It will be interesting to see how this compares to the PS3 in real gameplay. Does anybody know if the controller will be the same?

influx said:
It will be interesting to see how this compares to the PS3 in real gameplay. Does anybody know if the controller will be the same?

I hope so. I know everyone and their dog, hated the large bulky controller that the first one had. Myself on the other hand, have rather large hands, well if you can call them that .... they are more like meat hooks really.
Anyway I really liked the old controller, and I hope they dont go with a new danty, Marry why dont you take your purse off and play, little tiny thing that I feel like im going to break everytime I pick it up.

MartinX said:

Yes and no. The capability is indeed there, but not every title envokes it. EA is a glaring example of the need to make it mandatory. I just wonder how well it will sit with them. Is the money from the music deals enough to make them pull Live Support? Or will the added sales from having online play be enough to make them go along with the madatory custom soundtracks?

Time will tell, and I am already sick of waiting. :)

influx said:

I also hope, as broken does, that they have a larger verson of the controller. I too have the meathooks.

I have read a comment by Balmer (the link is escaping me now) that stated that the controller would be much the same 'cept for the following: The black/white buttons....GONE. Added are 2 addtional shoulder buttons, ala PS2 controller.

I heard some rumblings about being wireless out of the box, but I heard that once and not since, so take that for what it is worth (not much).

Tiny said:
I don't understand this. Well, I understand the wanting to use one console to play different generations of games for the sake of shelf space and TV ports. I don't understand why it is so important, you still have your Xbox. When you buy the Xenon, they don't take your Xbox away.

I was just asked this question about backwards compatability yesterday. Not by a potential new console customer, but by my local video store owner. Backwards compatability is a big deal to her as it allows her current stock of Xbox games to continue to have some rental value for a while longer. It's a small store with limited space and having to stock an entirely new seperate line of games while losing rentals from the old ones would be very expensive to her. She even mentioned the fact that if they are not backwards compatible (PS3 and Xenon) she might have to chose to liquidate her current stock of games or not stock the new ones. Backwards compatability is important to some people.

Jailer said:
I was just asked this question about backwards compatability yesterday. Not by a potential new console customer, but by my local video store owner. Backwards compatability is a big deal to her as it allows her current stock of Xbox games to continue to have some rental value for a while longer. It's a small store with limited space and having to stock an entirely new seperate line of games while losing rentals from the old ones would be very expensive to her. She even mentioned the fact that if they are not backwards compatible (PS3 and Xenon) she might have to chose to liquidate her current stock of games or not stock the new ones. Backwards compatability is important to some people.

Good point.

Gotta go with the times though. Business is a pain sometimes.

influx said:

I suspect that they will end up being quite similar, both companies are committed, (now) experienced and have deep pockets.

Technologically, I think the PS3 is a bit more interesting and has the potential to steal it through efficiency, but the grunt of the 3x3 X-Box sounds pretty intimidating.

Regardless, the most important thing is, whichever console is better, IBM still wins...

Jailer said:

I read somewhere that backward compatability is one of the big bugbears and something they're working really hard on, Blockbuster is a pretty powerful force.

The difficulty is that PPC and x86 are totally incompatable ,It's literally the same as trying to get PC games to run on a Mac, which is a pretty high hurdle, unless you come up with the mother of all emulators, and figured out how to integrate it.

It gets worse...

Remember also, if you don't have a hard drive the OS (and any emulator software) actually has to be on the game disk, and I'm pretty sure that X-Box games don't do that, so MS would be left with a hardware emulation solution (but if you're doing that, why not put an most of an original X-Box into the Xenon case as well...) or you only make backwards compatability availiable to the HD version users.

It's definately desirable, but the cost and effort would be huge.

MartinX said:

Yes, but many game makers don't use it because they're trying to promote the music they license (EA, for instance).

Apparently, Microsoft wants it to be a mandatory requirement for all X2 games to have this option, which is pretty fucking awesome if I do say so myself (There are quite a few games, such as Jet Set Radio, that would be infinitely better with the custom soundtrack).

Global Fear said:
A total of 9 ghz of cpu power and graphics that are more powerful than a x800 series card? I'll believe it when I see it instead of getting off to rumors.

These are the specifications that were given at the GDC.

bonkrowave said:
I hope so. I know everyone and their dog, hated the large bulky controller that the first one had. Myself on the other hand, have rather large hands, well if you can call them that .... they are more like meat hooks really.
Anyway I really liked the old controller, and I hope they dont go with a new danty, Marry why dont you take your purse off and play, little tiny thing that I feel like im going to break everytime I pick it up.

Me too. I have small hands, but I like having a nice heavy, sturdy controller in my hands. I like the placement of the buttons much better on the original controller. I always manage to hit the black and white buttons on the small controller when I don't want to.

tiny said:
As far as the external/internal HD performance, I just thought that the USB interface wouldn't allow for the needed read/write duty that it would intel. But I guess a game wouldn't even begin to saturate the channel specs for either.

I think it would be a better idea for them to use SATA interface (it would probably have a propritary SATA interface just to be difficult :() on the external drive. Hotswappable and you'd be loosing no badwidth. There would also be no need for the extra converter to change the drive from ATA to USB making in not only faster but cheaper.

WickedAngel said:
Yes, but many game makers don't use it because they're trying to promote the music they licenses (EA, for instance).

Apparently, Microsoft wants it to be a mandatory requirement for all X2 games to have this option, which is pretty fucking awesome if I do say so myself (There are quite a few games, such as Jet Set Radio, that would be infinitely better with the custom soundtrack).

Indeed, how cool would it be to play Splinter Cell with The Caprenters in the back ground? Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.....

Awsome.

Posted by: Tiny It would be nice, but I personally don't find it a make or break feature. Plus support of legacy usually impeeds inovation, 'cept for the PS2. However, being that the architectures of the two are so different I don't see it happening. I don't see it happening for the PS3 either.

We'll just to inform a few of you on the issue of backwards compatibility. The PS3 is said to be 100% backwards compatible with the PS1 & PS2. It's said the PS3 will use an emulator to emulate the PS1 & PS2 software boot sequence in order to load the games. Sony has stated several times that they will include this support and that's it's very important to them.

On the issue of the XBOX, noone is sure if Microsoft will support backwards compatibility between it and the new XENON / NEXTBOX / XBOXNEXT, whatever they decide to call it. lol.

JonnyK said:
that 8mb is not ram, it's memory, like a memory card for game saves. so it has the same 8mb as current xbox memory cards, plus a bunch for user data, i'm guessing that means mp3's, etc.

Uh, yah. They're talking about reserved space on memory cards there. Read a few paragraphs up where it talks about actual system memory:

System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

I saw on TechTV today, a spokes person from Microsoft and he was talking about the next X-Box. He said that the removable harddrive will be able to function like an Apple I Pod. Microsoft would love to dip into Apples profits. Also there is a 1.3 megapixel camera built into the Box, witch will be used for video conferencing, setting up avatars .etc.
I cannot wait untill the new hardware arrives, Hopefully it will be a big difference from my P.C. graphic wise.

Back