Xbox 360 Top Console Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
For the twenty ninth consecutive month, the Xbox 360 is the top selling console in the country.

According to the software giant, it sold 114,000 Xbox 360 units in the U.S. in May, leading all other console makers. By beating its competitors, Microsoft was able to nab its 29th consecutive month as the leading console seller in the U.S.

It's still not a bad console. It could use a really good Outlook-style app though so you could schedule your agenda and answer a few e-mails efficiently on it, but it's otherwise not really bad.

The new one...I dunno what they're thinking with doing the online requirements though.

Probably not in the same category with the 3DS but what I find fascinating is how PSN+ now imo is actually better than Live, and how console sales worldwide have now went Sonys way even though they released at a much higher price and a year later.

Probably not in the same category with the 3DS but what I find fascinating is how PSN+ now imo is actually better than Live, and how console sales worldwide have now went Sonys way even though they released at a much higher price and a year later.

How is PSN better than live? Crappy UI (It takes 5 button presses to view or delete a message for gods sake!), no parties or party chat, etc. The simple things PSN is lacking makes XBL far superior.

With respect to the next generation, PS4 seems to have taken the momentum for now.

How is PSN better than live? Crappy UI (It takes 5 button presses to view or delete a message for gods sake!), no parties or party chat, etc. The simple things PSN is lacking makes XBL far superior.

Party chat is a biggie... I completely agree with you about that. As far as the UI... that has nothing to do with the network itself. Personally... I miss the blade UI for 360. I find the latest UI to be sort of hard to find things in (I normally just use the 360 button to get to menus/settings I want)

Honestly though, outside of that, I honestly prefer PSN over live for one major reason. Ad's

When I'm not playing my 360 online, I keep it off the internet to keep from having Ad's forced down my throat.

Besides that, I don't find much of a difference between the two in terms of reliability or transfer speeds (and I use both pretty often). That wasn't always the case though

With the announcement of the xbox one, im sure people that were waiting are saying screw it. ill just get a 360.

Anyrate, i also hate the xbox user interface. I used my xbox 360 or PS3 for media streaming and i found the xbox to be a cluster F$#@!. Plus, I have to pay a fee just to use netflix or stream youtube? really?

If it wasnt for forza motorsports id have no reason to stick with an xbox

I think people over-estimate the masses...

Many people will get the XB1 because they have the 360... They already have live, friends etc etc etc.

Sure people that follow the news and assign value to voting with their wallet to show their disapproval for [insert your XB1 displeasure here] will refuse to buy. Though as with most everything else, this will be a small minority because lets face it, many people do not care about always connected etc, because their boxes are always connected now.

I suspect the bigger issue might be used games, but just like Steam digital store/distro may add more value then "buying used" for the customer. Also being able to share with 10 friends...

Even I don't really care about some of those same issues with Steam because it hasn't impeded me from playing my games yet (I am sure it will at some point when a publisher messes it up like Sim City/Diablo etc).

If all things equal, I would choose not always connected requirement but that is only if all things being equal...

Dan

I will add the price will shift customers to one console or another more then connect every 24 hours etc.

Sony learned their lesson the first time:)

I suspect the bigger issue might be used games, but just like Steam digital store/distro may add more value then "buying used" for the customer. Also being able to share with 10 friends...

Even I don't really care about some of those same issues with Steam because it hasn't impeded me from playing my games yet (I am sure it will at some point when a publisher messes it up like Sim City/Diablo etc).

The difference between Steam and XBL though is that Steam has game sales. XBL pretty much keeps all content on their store at full retail prices (from what I've seen at least, I haven't been on XBL in almost a year though). If they had games sales on XBL like Steam does, then the used game issue would be negated, IMO, because the whole point of buying used games is to pay less for them. If gamers have the option to wait out for seasonal game sales, then that would be much more inticing for them.

The difference between Steam and XBL though is that Steam has game sales. XBL pretty much keeps all content on their store at full retail prices (from what I've seen at least, I haven't been on XBL in almost a year though). If they had games sales on XBL like Steam does, then the used game issue would be negated, IMO, because the whole point of buying used games is to pay less for them. If gamers have the option to wait out for seasonal game sales, then that would be much more inticing for them.

XBL has weekly game sales. has had them as long as I can remember.

I agree... but you cannot automatically assume that prices will not change. I think MS and Sony will be pushing digital ALOT more with this generation. With that, the sales model may change to be more like steam (notice I didn't say like steam:).

From what l have heard is that XBL will sort of work like some games in steam where if you buy a disk and install it, it will add that game to your XBL acct allowing future digital downloads etc. Basically giving the disc the role of "faster install" avoiding some downloads possibly.

Pushing digital more, publishers will probably do the math to determine if prices should be lowered after a time. I don't think we can expect PC type sales as fast because the customer base for console is much larger. Though I do think prices will drop, how soon will depend on the sales, the number crunchers will figure out exactly when.

Useless PR.

Now anytime people see the Xbox brand they giggle and remember how terrible the One is. :D

Maybe there is something I'm missing about the online requirement bit. Who doesn't have internet? If you can't afford internet, I would suggest not spending $400-$500 on a console. I think it is too early to try and dispute which system will have more marketshare. I'm willing to bet that people who buy an XBOX ONE are very happy with their purchase, and people who buy a PS4 will be really happy with their purchase.

A lot of people drinking the Haterade and both consoles doesn't even exist yet.

Oh rearry..? Are they ever more than 20% off like Steam sales? 50+%?

Yeah man, you can get Alan Wake American Nightmare for $10 right now!

Wait

GoG has the whole series for less than $5...never mind :D

They can't even beat PS+ sales.

Having put a lot of time into both of my consoles

PSN = XBL

With the small exception to cross game chat.

Oh rearry..? Are they ever more than 20% off like Steam sales? 50+%?

Yes. Can be 50% or more.
This weeks XBLA sale is on PopCap games, all 50% off.

Alan Wake was recently on sale for $5.
The Assassins Creed Ezio trilogy was on sale last month for $20.
Fable 3 is currently free.

Cross party chat couldn't be added and I agree it's a big one, Sony tried to get it working but iirc there was a hardware problem.

They have their differences and PSN 1.0 was garbage compared to Live at first but MS has been going backwards for awhile now while PSN has been doing a lot to improve.

As they stand today, I truly believe that PSN+ is the better of the two. Live nowadays is an utter bitch to get around in.

It's still not a bad console. It could use a really good Outlook-style app though so you could schedule your agenda and answer a few e-mails efficiently on it, but it's otherwise not really bad.

The new one...I dunno what they're thinking with doing the online requirements though.

That while they enjoy designing the hardware, they don't want to have to worry about those pesky customers and manufacturing large quantities, and selling lots of hardware and software.

XBox - Very close, but probably #2 console of it's generation.

XBox 360 - #1 console of it's generation (which is amazing considering how much catching up to the Wii it had to do to get there).

XBox One - Probably the #3 console of it's generation. And that's saying a lot considering the Wii U.

I wouldn't use game sales or free games as an argument that Live is better than PSN+ or Steam.

I mean when Sony gives away Uncharted 3 I don't care what Microsoft puts up, it's not going to be a better download than that game.

That while they enjoy designing the hardware, they don't want to have to worry about those pesky customers and manufacturing large quantities, and selling lots of hardware and software.

XBox - Very close, but probably #2 console of it's generation.

XBox 360 - #1 console of it's generation (which is amazing considering how much catching up to the Wii it had to do to get there).

XBox One - Probably the #3 console of it's generation. And that's saying a lot considering the Wii U.

How do you figure it's #1? What metric are you using because it's certainly no worldwide sales.

How do you figure it's #1? What metric are you using because it's certainly no worldwide sales.

In the US market (largest video game market in the world) that is a few weeks away from being correct.

although I think the XB1 will do just fine in the US as well.

90% RROD replacements?

2006 launch 20GB and a 2007 120GB Elite, both still going strong. The Elite started to overheat recently so I tore it down, vacuumed/blew out the dust, put it back together and it's running fine now (6 years of dust/cat hair clogging up the heat sinks LOL).

That's called a computer.

Yes. Can be 50% or more.
This weeks XBLA sale is on PopCap games, all 50% off.

Alan Wake was recently on sale for $5.
The Assassins Creed Ezio trilogy was on sale last month for $20.
Fable 3 is currently free.

Do you have to be a Gold member to take advantage of those sales? Because that's an additional $60 expense. No additional expenses on Steam Games.

I dont know how it is elsewhere, but I have seen the 360 for below $199 and at times below $150. I almost got one on kijiji the other day for $40

I find it ironic that the people complaining about the internet requirements are getting online to bitch about it.

This happens every release. The haters come out in force then the consoles get released and the haters buy the very things they spent 6 months raging about. In 5 years a new console will come out and they'll argue that the XB1/PS4 were perfect the way they were and complain about the XB2/PS5's new features. People are retards whose lives aren't complete unless they have something to complain about.

Maybe there is something I'm missing about the online requirement bit. Who doesn't have internet? If you can't afford internet, I would suggest not spending $400-$500 on a console. I think it is too early to try and dispute which system will have more marketshare. I'm willing to bet that people who buy an XBOX ONE are very happy with their purchase, and people who buy a PS4 will be really happy with their purchase.

A lot of people drinking the Haterade and both consoles doesn't even exist yet.

I don't think its about the cost of internet per se.

Part of the anger is a single player that doesn't require online access to actually play, requires online access to "play". It is sort of the idea behind it.

Some people in rural areas can still only get 56k or satellite. Maybe they hvae 56k and the wife won't let them play a game because it takes the like (stretch I know)...

Some people like the option of playing games when the internet/dish is out... can't watch netflix, can't surf the web, may as well play a game. Its sort of funny, the internet is becoming like electricity for me, when its out, don't really know what to do... Every idea that pops in my head requires internet, like when you walk through a dark house still flipping switches by habbit even when you know lights won't work lol.

Some people may want to NOT connect the xbox to the internet, for limiting their kids access etc

The point is there are a few reasons that can make internet connection DRM annoying. I agree those cases are a small minority but its all the worse because many of these games do not require the internet to actually play... Just another small penalty for actually buying a game.

It is for Gold members, but membership is only $60 for the stupid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103258

and if you wait for a sale on Gold, you can get it for as low as $35.

Indeed. I just got a 12-month XBL card for $20 off e-Bay. It was posted in [H]ot Deals, but the thread seems to have been delete now for some reason. It was a legit deal though because I already got my card and activated it.

Usually every year I can find a deal for $35 or less though.

Just another reason to play without internet...

At a lot of the beer festivals/lines... people bring out consoles and TVs to play while they wait hours for a specialty beer... Again very small minority but then again its pretty cool to be drinking and playing video games in a 5 block long line. don't know why but it is.

Just another reason to play without internet...

At a lot of the beer festivals/lines... people bring out consoles and TVs to play while they wait hours for a specialty beer... Again very small minority but then again its pretty cool to be drinking and playing video games in a 5 block long line. don't know why but it is.

The worst part about it IMO is the soldiers that like to deploy with their consoles. There was a bunch of guys that I deployed with that took their 360 with them. So MS is essentially screwing the troops over by requiring this online check and keeping them from gaming while defending our Country, lol. I would love to see this PR nightmare come true! :D

Back