XBox 360 launch: success or failure thus far?

finalgt said:
I'm pretty sure you didn't read that. Let's think about the companies that are based in Japan / Asia. Honda, Samsung, Sony, Sanyo, Daewoo...those are the ones that just jump out at me; asian names that have become part of US household knowledge. The consumer tech industry in particular owes a ton to Japan specifically.

X360 is a spectacular success. People are punching themselves in the face for the chance to buy a $400 system, and are disgusted at the $300 alternative. Even if people are eventually forced to buy the $300 system, they'll probably buy all the $150 worth of extras that come with the Premium...MS actually found a way to convince people that $450-500+ is a bargain for something people have traditionally paid no more than $300 for.

yea i know.. but what i'm saying is.. for example.. the (silicon) transistor was invented in america.. and so was the television.. the japanese have made them much better.. you get me? the orginal inventers are american.. a crap load of things in industry that the japanese dominate in were invented in America.. so it seems.. i don't knwo whatever..we should let this get back on topic

then again.. you can never place credit for the invention of something on one person..

finalgt said:
I'm pretty sure you didn't read that. Let's think about the companies that are based in Japan / Asia. Honda, Samsung, Sony, Sanyo, Daewoo...those are the ones that just jump out at me; asian names that have become part of US household knowledge. The consumer tech industry in particular owes a ton to Japan specifically.

X360 is a spectacular success. People are punching themselves in the face for the chance to buy a $400 system, and are disgusted at the $300 alternative. Even if people are eventually forced to buy the $300 system, they'll probably buy all the $150 worth of extras that come with the Premium...MS actually found a way to convince people that $450-500+ is a bargain for something people have traditionally paid no more than $300 for.

So what major INVENTIONS have those companies provided the rest of us? The radio? TV? Automobiles? Computers?

Hvatum said:
Middle of the page.

http://www.forbes.com/business/global/2005/1003/036A_4.html

Microsoft's gaming division has lost $4 Billion dollars and that division is bolstered by profitable PC games so the XBOX has probably lost even more. Microsoft obviously doesn't release specific information on how much money the XBOX has lost. Feel free to sift through their quarterly report though. :p

I don't even have to look at the qrtly rpt to know that in spite of their losses, they have a huge cash warchest. Immense amount of money. Double digit figure in the billions. So there's that.

I just hope the ps3 is manufactured in japan and not china. Everything I've had manufactured in china is shit.

cypher22 said:
I just hope the ps3 is manufactured in japan and not china. Everything I've had manufactured in china is shit.

LOL... you know..

those a lot of made in china stuff is cheap and a piece of crap.. it's putting them in a position where eventually they will be able to get enough market share to start putting out good products and really compete...

all they have going is cheap prices.. but eventually they will be able to up their quality..

this reminds me of what the chairman of our electrical and computer department told us once.. he told me that when he was fresh out of college.. I think he worked at bell labs at the time.. they all use to make fun of cheap japanese transistors... well.. look at where japan is now.. i think the same can happen to china..

America needs to get on the ball.. that's all i'm saying..

cypher22 said:

They will likely do the same thing they did with the PS2 and the PSP. Sony will manufacture it themselves for the first few months, and then send off mass production to the "wonderful" plants that make the current PS2 and PSP... Yay for hardware issues :rolleyes:

The Japanese still will be pointing and laughing at the smaller white box on the 10th, though.

holyroller1 said:
So what major INVENTIONS have those companies provided the rest of us? The radio? TV? Automobiles? Computers?
And how old are those INVENTIONS? What companies are introducing all the new panel technologies, like SED and OLED? New RAM specifications?

finalgt said:
And how old are those INVENTIONS? What companies are introducing all the new panel technologies, like SED and OLED? New RAM specifications?

NUTZ!!! you got me

steviep said:
The Japanese still will be pointing and laughing at the smaller white box on the 10th, though.

And we all know how much that correlates to the enjoyment that we, in North America, get out of our games.

The fact that the Japanese are too close-minded to accept the cultures and styles of other nations doesn't really change the fact that I enjoyed the Xbox. It's really just a testament to how ridiculously nationalistic and biased against the West they still are, despite the fact that their grudge against us is around sixty years old.

steviep said:
They will likely do the same thing they did with the PS2 and the PSP. Sony will manufacture it themselves for the first few months, and then send off mass production to the "wonderful" plants that make the current PS2 and PSP... Yay for hardware issues :rolleyes:

man.. you really have it for all things not nintendo huh?

If I did, I wouldn't own a Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, or a gaming PC for that matter.
I just think that the PS2 is poorly built. That's not exactly a revelation.

And it is fact that there aren't many Japanese interested in the XBox nor the X360. That's not a revelation either. ZX6Master certainly points out one of the reasons, on top of the other reason (lack of games that appeal to them).

finalgt said:

My point has apparently escaped you.

Back