xbox 360 is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
First xbox I bought off eBay red ringed out of the box, got a refund. Bought one in stores, later sold it to a forum member. GF bought me a brand new one for christmas, red ringed out of the box. Exchanged it, this one is was produced in August 2008. RRoD error 0103 about 4 months ago, did the penny fix and it worked for about 2 more weeks. Did the overheat trick (take apart and remove the fans) and it worked for about a month before I got the 0102 error. I did the heatgun trick and it worked for like a month before getting 0103 error again. Did the xclamp fix, worked for like another month. Started getting 0102 errors again, so I adjusted the screws on the xclamps and it worked for another week. Just fired it up again to get the 0110 RRoD. The xbox 360 is THE biggest joke of a console I've ever seen. Viva la PS2.

wow... un-lucky you!

I get the same luck in consumer electronics (really, have you ever seen a power supply catch on fire!?), but my game consoles (PS3, SNES!, and xbox360 (2)) have evaded my horrible luck, so far.

I agree with everything you said.
I got RROD, instantly did the xclamp fix, worked for about a month.
Got 0102 error, overheated the GPU for 25 min, let cool for about 5 min. Booted it up works fine. DVD drive getting stuck now, read it has something to do with the magnet. Been working fine for a few days now. Just can't switch games that easily. Fortunately for me I'm a big PC gamer and all I ever really use the console for is sports games which excel on a gamepad.

I think 360 would have dominated this generation had it not been for rrod

First xbox I bought off eBay red ringed out of the box, got a refund. Bought one in stores, later sold it to a forum member. GF bought me a brand new one for christmas, red ringed out of the box. Exchanged it, this one is was produced in August 2008. RRoD error 0103 about 4 months ago, did the penny fix and it worked for about 2 more weeks. Did the overheat trick (take apart and remove the fans) and it worked for about a month before I got the 0102 error. I did the heatgun trick and it worked for like a month before getting 0103 error again. Did the xclamp fix, worked for like another month. Started getting 0102 errors again, so I adjusted the screws on the xclamps and it worked for another week. Just fired it up again to get the 0110 RRoD. The xbox 360 is THE biggest joke of a console I've ever seen. Viva la PS2.

reliability wise and noise wise it is a fucking joke. it sounds like a hoover and it is a unreliable piece of shit. mine broke 6 times so you aint experience fuck all yet my friend.

the 360 forced me to buy a ps3 for fucksakes. i do like the 360 games though and xbox live so my only issue with this console is that it was made by dyson. ironically, dysons first few hoovers were unreliable :D:D

Between me and my brothers, we have 4 Xbox 360's. 2 purchased at launch, one purchased a year after launch, one purchased about 2 years ago. None of them have had the RRoD and most of them are playing games for at least 20 hours a week.
Out of the 3 Xbox 360's my friends own, they've all been around for over 2 years, and one of them got the RRoD and I fixed it...

so in my experience.. 7 Xbox 360's purchased at different times... 1 RRoD that was fixed in about 90 minutes (including driving to Home Depot and back) and $10 in bolts/washers to fix it. put it back together, and it's been working perfectly through some HEAVY usage for the past year or so.

I do have a cousin that the RRoD with his console about 3 years ago, and in less than 2 weeks, he was using his working Xbox 360 that he got shipped from Microsoft Repair Center, and they even gave him 1600 (around that number anyways) microsoft points to purchase stuff on the Live Market with... he said it was pretty painless.

Maybe I and the people around me have just had good luck with the Xbox 360's... and some people have just had bad luck...

but no doubt that negativity around a product is always more abundant on the internet than praise... so even if 1 in every 100 Xbox 360's (not actual valid data - just an example) RRoD'd outside of their warranty, with the rants, complaints, and general talk on the internet, it would seem as though the number was closer to 1 in every 10.

Yes, it's a problem, and it's a stupidly simple design flaw on Microsoft's behalf. But this doesn't mean that the "Xbox 360 is a joke".

Failure rate figures for the xbox say anywhere from about 25% to over 50%. And Im sure they won't officially admit a figure until it they've got it way down, 1 in 10 would probably be their hope for number at this point because it would make it closer to reports for PS3.

But from personal experience, my brother bought one..didn't like it enough so he gave it to me to mess around with until he wants it back. So far I've experience screen freezes in various games, which if you read about them seems to suggest that they are lead in to the RROD error. It's a new Jasper unit, only 3 months old...and yeah Im a bit pissed they lowered the price on them 100 bucks then offer a 50 dollar mail in rebate only 2 months after the brother bought it. In fact Im trying to see if MS or the retailer that sold it will offer some games or live subscription cards to make up for the fact that it's worth 100-150 less now than it was a month ago.

I have one friend who hasn't had any problems with his xbox 360, but has recently had his PS3 die on him...they want something like 100-150 bucks to repair it. I told em to give it to me and I'd try to figure it out if he ain't gonna take em up on the offer, we'll see. As for other friends, I don't know who has what anymore...people are too busy worrying about other stuff to talk about their game consoles.

And Wii, I got some family who own em, most I've heard about em is people bust stuff with the controllers never heard of em failing.

But I'd say Xbox having a 1 in 10 failure rate in warranty is probably what MS is shooting for. And outside of warranty, they probably don't care...and it's probably going to come up closer to 30-50% range.

I'm an xbox fanboy, but in your situation Sir I would just get the new PS slim and be done with it.

Let's spend lots of money on a console to fix it/make sure it doesn't break that should work out of the box! Yeah...

Let's spend lots of money on a console to fix it/make sure it doesn't break that should work out of the box! Yeah...

Agreed, it should work out of the box. BUT it's called longevity, making it last. Obviously MS needs help with that...:rolleyes:

Plus it would just be kinda cool, lol.

Agreed, it should work out of the box. BUT it's called longevity, making it last. Obviously MS needs help with that...:rolleyes:

Plus it would just be kinda cool, lol.

Yes, it would be cool. Darth-something (I think...) has pics over in the picture thread with his water-cooled/custom case 360, and it looks great really..but to spend all that money on a system just so I know it will work when my PS3 has been working second hand for 2 years now (since I've had it)....nah.

It is a joke,

So an Xbox 360 and a PS3 walk into a bar, the bartender says, "We don't serve your kind here." The consoles look at each other and say, "which one of us don't you serve?" The bartender says, "neither, your games are too expensive."

I didn't say it was a good joke.

viva la PC w/360 controller

Better than the 360 anyday, looks and performance!

Sorry bout your luck though!

I'm hardly a fan of the Xbox360 or indeed any consoles, but if you're getting hardware faults you should return the console to the manufacturer for a repalcement rather than taking pennies/heatguns/screwdrivers to it. :eek:

I find it funny how you never sent it in to MS to fix when it has a RROD warranty and could be fixed by professionals who most likely would have just sent you a new console but instead you try to do some of the fixes off the internet which almost all of them are just temporary fixes and are very rare to work long term. Truthfully it is your own fault for not using the warranty to get it fixed in the first place. :rolleyes:

Between me and my brothers, we have 4 Xbox 360's. 2 purchased at launch, one purchased a year after launch, one purchased about 2 years ago. None of them have had the RRoD and most of them are playing games for at least 20 hours a week.
Out of the 3 Xbox 360's my friends own, they've all been around for over 2 years, and one of them got the RRoD and I fixed it...

so in my experience.. 7 Xbox 360's purchased at different times... 1 RRoD that was fixed in about 90 minutes (including driving to Home Depot and back) and $10 in bolts/washers to fix it. put it back together, and it's been working perfectly through some HEAVY usage for the past year or so.

I do have a cousin that the RRoD with his console about 3 years ago, and in less than 2 weeks, he was using his working Xbox 360 that he got shipped from Microsoft Repair Center, and they even gave him 1600 (around that number anyways) microsoft points to purchase stuff on the Live Market with... he said it was pretty painless.

Maybe I and the people around me have just had good luck with the Xbox 360's... and some people have just had bad luck...

but no doubt that negativity around a product is always more abundant on the internet than praise... so even if 1 in every 100 Xbox 360's (not actual valid data - just an example) RRoD'd outside of their warranty, with the rants, complaints, and general talk on the internet, it would seem as though the number was closer to 1 in every 10.

Yes, it's a problem, and it's a stupidly simple design flaw on Microsoft's behalf. But this doesn't mean that the "Xbox 360 is a joke".

just based off your sample, that's a 25 percent failure rate (2 out of 8), so I have no idea why you bothered to try defending ms here.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Darth-something (I think...) has pics over in the picture thread with his water-cooled/custom case 360, and it looks great really..but to spend all that money on a system just so I know it will work

I modded a new (been used for 2 weeks) 360 for a friend, with the 12v Fan mod hoping it would stop his RROD ever happening, it was as loud as hell but sucked a lot of heat out the console.......sure enough 5 months later RROD, so it would be interesting to see if this helps or not.

not only that but the scratching it did to my game disks was so bad it made a few completely unreadable!! (no i don't move the console or have it standing up)

I modded a new (been used for 2 weeks) 360 for a friend, with the 12v Fan mod hoping it would stop his RROD ever happening, it was as loud as hell but sucked a lot of heat out the console.......sure enough 5 months later RROD, so it would be interesting to see if this helps or not.

The x-clamps are the main problem, they need to be removed. Did you remove them also?

I added a fan after doing the x-clamp removal, and it is louder but it was always flipping loud as hell anyway.

Water cooling is way overkill though. At which point does console gaming suck enough for people to just play PC games.

XBOX 360 #1
P1010471.jpg

My biggest complaint about the xbox is that their support sucks. I mean sure you can call them most hours of the day or night, but the people you email/call/whatever don't understand most questions you ask. They send you back responses that don't have any bearing on what your problem is. And if you get the chance to talk to them, you'll enjoy asking them the same question a few different ways so you can hopefully get them in the same ballpark as you in terms of your questions topic.

I've had to call them three times now, 1) problems with bundled game - ended up fixing it by exchanging it at walmart. XBox did not help in anyway. 2) price drop question - they told me the new price drop was a temporary one, when I pointed them to their own xbox website they said price matching has to be done via retailers........so no help there and retailer wouldn't price match. 3) Xbox live question - I spoke with this guy probably 30 minutes and asked 2 questions about 15 different ways to get some kind of useful information. In the end they couldn't do anything to address a single issue I was having except put me on the phone with someone who spoke English but didn't understand questions I was asking in English.

Now keeping this in mind, that their support is just terrible for anything that doesn't deal directly with the RROD error (it has it's own ticket system you can fill out yourself......Im guessing because their crack support team can't handle it)....then you look at Xbox Live.

1) Pay for gold if you want to play any multiplayer at all.
2) Points, points are basically xbox gift cards. But it has a deceptive title to it. If it were called Xbox cash or something at least those not paying for it would realize it has some kind of monetary value.
3) Trivial stuff is charged for on xbox, themes, avatar customization, gamertag changes. I can understand arcade games being charged for, but a lot of that other stuff seems pretty greedy considering you are already giving them a yearly amount of money for the gold subscription most of the time. It's kind of like buying a 300-400 dollar ticket just to get nickel and dimed until the console dies or you stop using it.

Im not saying 50 dollar yearly cost is too much, but with how much they charge for everything......you can't shop around. You buy points...you can shop around for these but there's hardly ever deals on them. Then beyond that, anything you buy with the points..the prices are set by MS and rarely changed or lowered. And if it happens to be something with multiplayer like BF 1943...you have to keep a subscription to gold to use it.

Then the way their gold subscriptions work is a racket if you ask me. It's tied to a gamertag. Now I don't own halo but Im told it will allow multiple people from the same xbox console to connect and play on a MP server which is nice. But a game like 1943, I have not confirmed this to be true....so if you wanted to play with a different nickname on there. You need another gamertag...and it will only be a silver subscription which can't play MP games until you upgrade to gold. You can't use the gold subscription of another account on the console in anyway for it, at least that's what the XBox live rep told me and I'll believe it when I can confirm it from another source.

I like the xbox more than I thought I would, but everyday I find another reason to hate it again.

I don't know how they can make something as great as the original Xbox and turn around and release the 360 which looks to be the biggest piece of crap I've ever laid eyes on. Why can't they just make it work?

I, too, am curious why you didn't send in your Xbox that had a date of August 2008 to get it fixed. You have 3 year warranty on those suckers, why would you not get it fixed for free?

Why didn't you just send it back and get another one from Microsoft, instead of applying fixes that void your warranty?

Not saying the Xbox 360 has a good track record but to summarize your post:
Unit 1) Purchased a used unit off of ebay that RROD out of the box: Could be the seller was pawning off a defective unit or it was damaged in transit.
Unit 2) Purchased one and sold it. Unsure how this ties into Xbox 360 being defective, outside of you wanting to sell it.
Unit 3) RROD out of the box. Exchanged it
Unit 4) RROD, less than one year warranty and you took it upon yourself to mod the console vs getting MS involved for free.

I agree MS should make a better system, but it appears some of these actions are a little questionable. PS2 was not any more reliable in my group of friends. Burned out DVD readers or Powersupplies pretty much affected all my friends on the early PS2s. The xbox 360 on the other hand I have about 10-15 close friends and only one required a replacement for RROD.

I'm sure my dreamcast, genesis, and NES will power on and they have been in storage for several years. Guess there is something to said with the older systems and no moving parts.

Although you story is not uncommon, I would agree staying away from the xbox 360 is the best thing to do in your case. Makes you wonder if the people that experience multiple failures have something in common. Example smoking, placement, humidty, power, and etc. Not blaming you as the fault, but MS should have built a better system. However I'm enjoying mine (Elite and Arcade) for 2+ years.

My reasoning for voiding the warranty was that I could either wait 5 long, 360-less weeks, or fix it myself in 10 minutes with just one trip to home depot.

@Georgexi: I forgot all about that, lol.

My reasoning for voiding the warranty was that I could either wait 5 long, 360-less weeks, or fix it myself in 10 minutes with just one trip to home depot.

@Georgexi: I forgot all about that, lol.

Well there you go the problem is you and not the 360 because you could not spend two weeks away from you 360 to get it fixed from MS. :rolleyes:

Dirty Disc Error --XBOX-1

i never owned a XBOX so i can't comment on that. but me and my roommate both had launch-day PS2's that fell victim to DRE. of course since it happened after the warranty expired, Sony didn't give a damn and we were SOL. the 360 may be shitty hardware but at least Microsoft acknowledged it royally fucked up and will repair defective 360s FOR FREE FOR 3 YEARS. they get props in my book for that.

i never owned a XBOX so i can't comment on that. but me and my roommate both had launch-day PS2's that fell victim to DRE. of course since it happened after the warranty expired, Sony didn't give a damn and we were SOL. the 360 may be shitty hardware but at least Microsoft acknowledged it royally fucked up and will repair defective 360s FOR FREE FOR 3 YEARS. they get props in my book for that.

Yeah, I agree the PS2 had big problems, as did the XBOX1 Really the failure rate was probably very close for both those. MS if my memory serves me correctly didn't do squat for the disc read problems on that first gen either.

The RROD failure rate is WICKED high, and that is the only reason they are doing anything about it.

MS doesn't deserve too much credit for the 3 year warranty, they were forced to do it. They should have recalled them, and any other company probably would have lost a class action lawsuit and had a recall. They might have anticipated that they could have had a forced recall and extended it for that reason.

At any rate, its all good as they say. This whole console failure thing should be a lesson for people going forward though. DONT TRUST either ms or sony to deliver a trouble free console on launch day.

Yeah, I agree the PS2 had big problems, as did the XBOX1 Really the failure rate was probably very close for both those. MS if my memory serves me correctly didn't do squat for the disc read problems on that first gen either.

The RROD failure rate is WICKED high, and that is the only reason they are doing anything about it.

MS doesn't deserve too much credit for the 3 year warranty, they were forced to do it. They should have recalled them, and any other company probably would have lost a class action lawsuit and had a recall. They might have anticipated that they could have had a forced recall and extended it for that reason.

At any rate, its all good as they say. This whole console failure thing should be a lesson for people going forward though. DONT TRUST either ms or sony to deliver a trouble free console on launch day.

Bingo, UCC code mandates under the implied law of merchantability and implied warranty that a merchant meet reasonable standards of quality and fitness for a good's original purpose. They would have to either repair, replace, or refund for material defects. If a court action came to publish the extreme failure rate, MS could have been ordered by the court to attempt replacement or refund, which would have been FAR more expensive than repairs since they at least already had a system for that.

Giving people 3 years additional warranty was the best way for them save on court, lawyer, and judgement fees. Parties settle when they know they're going to lose because it's cheaper than fighting and losing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back