Xbox 360 Guitar Hero II Whammy Bar problems

EvilNotion

Limp Gawd
Last night on the way home from work, I stopped buy Worst Buy and picked up GH2 for the Xbox 360. (Yes, I already have it for my PS2, but I'm addicted to the game and I'm looking forward to downloadable content.)

So I get home, plug everything in, and get to playing... only to find my Whammy bar is somewhat unresponsive, and occasionally doesn't work at all.

This morning, I come in to work and check out my RSS feeds -- What do I find?
http://feeds.joystiq.com/~r/weblogsinc/joystiq/~3/106471813/
I think Joystiq can stop calling this a rumor.

Unfortunately I can't actually get to Joystiq through my work Firewall to read the comments or even check the official GH forums (Stupid blocking of game sites). Has anyone here at the [H] had this problem with their GH guitar on the 360?

That's disappointing.

Half the reason I held out for the 360 version of GH2 was because of the poor quality PS2 controllers, including the whammy bar. I was hoping this new one would be built better.

To be honest, I think the quality of the guitar is way better than the PS2 version -- however, I think either they used bad potentiometers or they used the wrong potentiometers in them.

The guitar feels much more sturdy. I'm rather disappointed in the size of the select and start buttons, however. They're very tiny, makes wanting to pause the game during a short break difficult. Of course, it could just be that I have to get used to it.

I thought i noticed my whammy bar on the 360 GH2 was slightly unresponsive. Seemed like i had to wiggle that mofo like crazy to get it to work.

I thought i noticed my whammy bar on the 360 GH2 was slightly unresponsive. Seemed like i had to wiggle that mofo like crazy to get it to work.

Mine isn't even slightly unresponsive.. Sometimes, even if I whammy like crazy, it wont kick in until the 'line' is almost gone. Makes the game unplayable.

I have a co-worker that moonlights at Best Buy. He's going to call this afternoon and see if they've heard anything. I'm returning mine until they get these issues fixed. (Or I find a way to identify which guitar is in which box so I can buy the good guitar).

Best Buy may not allow me to return it because of it being software and it being opened. They may exchange it, but it wont do any good. Unless the stores get word from corporate that they're crappy guitars and to allow people to return them. *sigh* What a pain.

I played for about 6 hours straight (first GH game ive ever owned) and i havent noticed a single problem ever.

I think its on the side, next to the cord that goes into the 360. (not sure, im not home right now)

I'm curious to hear. Would definitely confuse the issue even more if some guitars (with the jack on the same side as the USB cord) work fine. :)

I haven't had any problems with my guitar with the port on the side.

Getting an exchange shouldn't be too bad considering a lot of guitars are fine.

When you do try to return it, ask about getting the price match. Circuit City is selling the Guitar Hero 2 and a 1600 Xbox Live points card for $89, making the game $69 and the card $20 when purchased together.

For the record, this has NOTHING to do with where the pedal plugs in. I have two guitars, both have the plug on the bottom. One works like a champ, the other has lots of lag.

Last night on the way home from work, I stopped buy Worst Buy and picked up GH2 for the Xbox 360. (Yes, I already have it for my PS2, but I'm addicted to the game and I'm looking forward to downloadable content.)

So I get home, plug everything in, and get to playing... only to find my Whammy bar is somewhat unresponsive, and occasionally doesn't work at all.

This morning, I come in to work and check out my RSS feeds -- What do I find?
http://feeds.joystiq.com/~r/weblogsinc/joystiq/~3/106471813/
I think Joystiq can stop calling this a rumor.

Unfortunately I can't actually get to Joystiq through my work Firewall to read the comments or even check the official GH forums (Stupid blocking of game sites). Has anyone here at the [H] had this problem with their GH guitar on the 360?

That sucks I just bought GH2 for the 360 for my son for Easter. (nothing says Easter like Devil worshiping acid rock lol) I hope my whammy bar works but will not kinow until Sunday.... BTW work blocking game web sites, you don't happen to work for Sunoco? (I know we are not the only ones)

Damn right there's a problem!

Bought two Xbox 360 guitars, both of them with useless whammy bars.
gh2-1.jpg

I'm running out of space in my house to store these things.

Yep, they're both the ones with the pedal port next to the USB cable.
gh2-2.jpg

Disappointment all round. It's hard to describe the unresponsiveness. The whammy bar does work to a certain extent... but it doesn't reflect what I'm actually doing with it. With the PS2 guitar I can create a perfect oscillating wave on the screen, but with the Xbox 360 guitar the "wave" sometimes is too thick, too thin, or completely random. It does work, but not like it should. I'm sure a lot of first time Guitar Hero players won't know that something's wrong - but ex-PS2 players will be driven crazy by this, myself included.

Here are mine. Both with the port on bottom. One works, one does not. The working one was purchased at Meiers, the bad one purchased at Target.

guitar003-1.jpg

Here are mine. Both with the port on bottom. One works, one does not. The working one was purchased at Meiers, the bad one purchased at Target.

Does it work at all, or is the whammy bar completely dead?

Does it work at all, or is the whammy bar completely dead?

It's problematic. Sometimes it wont work at all, sometimes it seems to lag. It wont make the wave according to how I am moving the bar, and usually doesn't start until about a second after I start hitting it.

I have one of both revisions, the newer model works fine, and the older model is finicky.

Model 95065 is the one with the data port next to the headset port, and came in the extra guitar controller box.
Model 95055 is the one with the data port next to the USB cable, and came with the game.

Either way, it's weird that a company would ship two models at release. They had to know about the problems with the first batch of guitars, and decided that pushing back the release so they could fix the already manufactured guitars was not as important as getting the game out.

sometime my whammy bar isnt responsive is there any thing we can do or are we just supposed to suck this up and take it?

I have one of both revisions, the newer model works fine, and the older model is finicky.

Model 95065 is the one with the data port next to the headset port, and came in the extra guitar controller box.
Model 95055 is the one with the data port next to the USB cable, and came with the game.

Either way, it's weird that a company would ship two models at release. They had to know about the problems with the first batch of guitars, and decided that pushing back the release so they could fix the already manufactured guitars was not as important as getting the game out.

Where did you find an extra controller?

I have one with the data port on the side and don't have any problems. My friend also has one with the data port on the side and we noticed a lot of problems with it when we were playing 2-player (and in single player, just happened to notice it when we switched guitars).

Disappointment all round. It's hard to describe the unresponsiveness. The whammy bar does work to a certain extent... but it doesn't reflect what I'm actually doing with it. With the PS2 guitar I can create a perfect oscillating wave on the screen, but with the Xbox 360 guitar the "wave" sometimes is too thick, too thin, or completely random. It does work, but not like it should. I'm sure a lot of first time Guitar Hero players won't know that something's wrong - but ex-PS2 players will be driven crazy by this, myself included.

Mine "works" too, but in the way you described it. It doesn't work well at all.

It seems RedOctate has acknowledged it, here's what they said to the bloggers at kotaku:

We have isolated this issue to two model numbers that can be found on the guitar's packaging. The numbers are 95065 and 95055. We are asking that customers who puchased their items from a retailer perform an exchange with that respective store (for a model number other than the defective two listed above). Customer's who purchased through our online story can complete an rma request for their defective item and we will exchange it for a fully function guitar controller. We do apologize for the inconvenience and will [resolve] these matters.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/red-octane/red-octane-responds-to-defective-360-guitars-250451.php

I have a 065 BTW.

That's disappointing.

Half the reason I held out for the 360 version of GH2 was because of the poor quality PS2 controllers, including the whammy bar. I was hoping this new one would be built better.

whats wrong with the ps2 guitar?? that thinks is the best!!!! my old black one from gh1 is so broken in, all you have to do is strum, the guitar takes care of the rest!!

I have two 065's and noticed a slight lag, I guess I will need to do more testing.

Also I bought both of mine direct from RedOctane

Back