X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

I have tried mobo with new 16GB non ecc and will not boot. Just want to be sure it is the ram before I have to buy another module to get into bios for upgrade. This mobo has no power led light so hard to tell if something else not right, plus have no case yet.

Are the PCI-e bifurcation options still available in the 1.40 BIOS?

I can confirm that BIOS version 1.40 works fine with Corsair LPX 2x16GB 2666MHz (non-ECC).

Yes I have those DIMMs, but my mobo is factory default (presumably) and will not start with them inserted so far; so did you use those DIMMs from the start or did you use other ones to update the bios first?

Last edited:
Yes I have those DIMMs, but my mobo is factory default (presumably) and will not start with them inserted so far; so did you use those DIMMs from the start or did you use other ones to update the bios first?

I didn't bother since I knew it wouldn't POST. Used some.other RAM to POST and flash the BIOS from USB.

Has anyone got any results from LinX or IBT with this board? With a 5960X preferably.

I'm seeing a drop in Gflops from my old system and wondering if this is due to dual channel in lieu of quad? The reviews of this board seemed to think there wasn't that much difference...

Current results FYI:

5960X @ 3.8ghz - 16GB quad channel @ 2400mhz - 334 Gflops
5960X @ 4.2ghz - 16GB dual channel @ 2400mhz - 303 Gflops

i, and going by asrocks forum a lot of other users have also had issues with the wifi card where it would suddenly stop responding, changing it out with an intel card fixed the issue

What's an ideal replacement card? Mine randomly seems to not start.

Debating on this board - looking through the anandtech review and it mentions the board is limited to 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU (down from the usual 40 from full sized x99). Does that mean that if you hook up a PCIe M.2 (x4), that will eat up 4 lanes and the GPU will only get 8 or 12 lanes? Prob will go with a reference GTX980 + a Intel 750 NVMe SSD

At any rate, it's really a question in my mind re: this board, a xeon e5-1650 v3 and ECC RAM vs. a Skylake Z170, but can't find any ITX skylake boards w/ ECC :/

That is incorrect. You will get a full 16 lanes on the PCIe slot and 4 on the M.2 slot. I'm running a very similar setup myself with a Xeon, ECC RAM, GTX 970, and an Intel 750.

can't find any ITX skylake boards w/ ECC :/
Probably won't be any until Skylake E3 Xeons (E3-12xx v5) are announced, along with the associated C230 chipset (Xeons might work with ECC in regular Z170 boards, but as always that's an unofficial it-might-work-but-there's-no-guarantee). No official ETA, but leaked slides indicate releases around the end of this year.

Hey chemist_slime,
Did your 2676v3 work with this board?

Yup, worked fine, but installing the OS X on it will be a challenge that I'm still looking into as it's a 12 core processor and all other guides are either 6 or 8 cores. So not sure if the kernel supports it and also that it's a v3 processor xeon, not v2 like in the current mac pro.

I did find someone who did it but on a diff mobo, you can see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/170818-12-core-x99-hackintosh-pro-build.html

Yup, worked fine, but installing the OS X on it will be a challenge that I'm still looking into as it's a 12 core processor and all other guides are either 6 or 8 cores. So not sure if the kernel supports it and also that it's a v3 processor xeon, not v2 like in the current mac pro.

I did find someone who did it but on a diff mobo, you can see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/170818-12-core-x99-hackintosh-pro-build.html

Excellent, good to hear! What is the max turbo and max single core turbo on this CPU?

As for getting OS X support, you should check here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...830k-and-5820k-1010-10101-yosemite/?p=2168460

It looks like 4, 6, and 12 core Xeon v3's are now completely native, try without the kernel patch or legacy kexts!

I'm still waiting on the narrow mounting brackets for my C14, so in the mean time I decided to get my new system up and running using the cooler supplied with the ASRock board. Holy crap that thing is loud :D

One thing I noticed was with the mounting holes located so close to the heat sink, the screwdriver inevitably scrapes the heat sink during install, and for me this created some metal dust that needed to be carefully cleaned up. Probably not a problem most people will run into as I doubt many are using the stock cooler at all.

I'm still waiting on the narrow mounting brackets for my C14, so in the mean time I decided to get my new system up and running using the cooler supplied with the ASRock board. Holy crap that thing is loud :D

One thing I noticed was with the mounting holes located so close to the heat sink, the screwdriver inevitably scrapes the heat sink during install, and for me this created some metal dust that needed to be carefully cleaned up. Probably not a problem most people will run into as I doubt many are using the stock cooler at all.

Hahah yep that stock Dynatron cooler sounds like a jet engine at full speed! You can get it to a bearable level near idle with the fan profiles though.

For those wondering if the Noctua Narrow ILM brackets can be used on their other heatsinks.... they CAN!

I used the bolts from the included Dynotron cooler as the Notcua ones are longer clash with the heatpipes, but otherwise they're a straight swap over and currently cooling my 5960X.

How did you get all the screws tightened down? I can barely access the lower screw by the heatpipes with a screwdriver, the other one closer to the top of the case I can tighten by hand only. I have tightened those two screws down all the way, but I can't flex the mounting bracket enough to tighten the other two screws. Loosening the screws by the heatpipes might let me get the other two started, but I wouldn't have a chance of tightening the two by the heatpipes the rest of the way.

2015-09-24%2020.05.41.jpg

Thanks for the photo. I was also curious as to how csd was able to get these screwed in with a regular long-handled driver. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but if I can't get it to work, I was thinking about picking up a set of these Anex 6102T Ultra Low Profile Screwdrivers (sorry, site is in Japanese, but you should be able to find them through Amazon or other online retailers). They are cheap where I live, and look like they would do the trick.

products_image_15.jpg

Update: I was able to get all four screws tightened down all the way. I had to use a pair of pliers to compress the four springs to permanently 'bend' them to be a few mm shorter. This gave the screws a little extra clearance under the brackets and made engaging the threads possible. There is also a washer on the screws riding up against the spring (I used the screws from the included ASRock cooler as csd recommended) you could remove to get even more clearance if needed. For the screw on the heatpipe side closest to the bottom of the case, there is an opening on the back of the case I was able to get a screwdriver through. I engaged the threads of this screw first, but only about half a turn. Then I moved to the screw diagonally opposite, and engaged the threads of that screw by about a turn while holding the bracket down with a screwdriver. Next I moved back to the heatpipe side, and was able to use my fingers to thread the screw closest to the top of the case in all the way. I then went back to the bottom screw on the heatpipe side and used a screwdriver to thread it in all the way. To tighten the last two screws I used a small ratchet which barely fit under the heatsink. It's a tedious process that took me a few hours. Here's to hoping I don't have to remove it any time soon :)

2015-09-24%2022.07.00.jpg

120mm fan on bottom:
2015-09-24%2022.42.41.jpg

140mm fan on top:
2015-09-24%2022.58.37.jpg

I'm now running much quieter than with the ASRock cooler :cool: I'll post back with some temperature updates in a day or so.

The C14S is slightly taller and will only be able to accommodate a top fan if it is no more than 14mm thick.

Anyone try the SM951 nvme? Getting some weird writes on AS SSD, only 30MB/S! have tested AHCI model on an older mobo and was getting proper speeds.

Probably depends on the case. Bottom 140mm fan hits the PSU in NCASE. The mounting brackets should work though. Noctua sent me NM-XFB4 as well as NM-XFB5 brackets. XFB4 was the ticket.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo. I was also curious as to how csd was able to get these screwed in with a regular long-handled driver. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but if I can't get it to work, I was thinking about picking up a set of these Anex 6102T Ultra Low Profile Screwdrivers (sorry, site is in Japanese, but you should be able to find them through Amazon or other online retailers). They are cheap where I live, and look like they would do the trick.

products_image_15.jpg

Those look like they would work well.

I'm now running much quieter than with the ASRock cooler :cool: I'll post back with some temperature updates in a day or so.

Epos7, good to hear (no pun intended), thanks. I'd be grateful if you would include your impressions on the 140 / 120 combo in terms of noise, as well. Are you getting any weird turbulance due to the size differential, or harmonics ("singing") at certain loads?

I will be attempting to run a 140 mm NF-P14r redux-1500 on top and a 120 mm NF-F12 industrial PPC-2000 on the bottom, both PWM, to cool a 5820K, a similar setup to yours. I'll have to experiment with different headers and fan profiles. If I go through with the Anex drivers, I'll update with my thoughts. Your solution with the pliers may be the more practical for most people.

How did you mod bios for xeon es support? CPU is just displayed as 'Genuine Intel' here.

How did you mod bios for xeon es support? CPU is just displayed as 'Genuine Intel' here.
They didn't. Ones that display that are much earlier steppings (and may be missing features). Ones that display a model followed by "(ES)" are generally the last pre-production samples and identical to retail. You're pretty much stuck with it like that.

Epos7, good to hear (no pun intended), thanks. I'd be grateful if you would include your impressions on the 140 / 120 combo in terms of noise, as well. Are you getting any weird turbulance due to the size differential, or harmonics ("singing") at certain loads?

I will be attempting to run a 140 mm NF-P14r redux-1500 on top and a 120 mm NF-F12 industrial PPC-2000 on the bottom, both PWM, to cool a 5820K, a similar setup to yours. I'll have to experiment with different headers and fan profiles. If I go through with the Anex drivers, I'll update with my thoughts. Your solution with the pliers may be the more practical for most people.

You will still need something like those Anex drivers or a small ratchet to access the screws. The screws to mount the brackets to the cooler also thread in from the top, and a ratchet/90 degree driver is handy for those as well.

Noise levels are pretty good so far. I am noticing a faint high pitched noise for 10-20 minutes after the computer wakes or turns on, and I haven't nailed that down yet, but I don't think it's coming from any of the fans. I'm coming from an Antec P182 (this is a pretty big step down in size :) ) and even with the vibration dampening panels in the Antec, the NCASE build sounds no louder. I thought my NCASE build had gotten noisier this morning, with a strange oscillating sound, but that was the clothes drier :eek:

I'm currently running just the C14 with the P14 on top, P12 on bottom, and no case fans. With the 5820K at stock, idle temps are around 32C. I have an old 3.5" SSD mounted on the bottom of the case for the time being, but once I start tweaking the 5820K I may remove that and experiment with some case fans.

First build in a long time (posted also in Ncase M1 thread and here for completeness):

Ncase M1 v4
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
Core i7 5820K
[placeholder] bundled ASRock fan
EVGA GTX Titan Z SC
Samsung SM951 256GB NVME
[placeholder] Silverstone SX500-LG
[placeholder] Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB
Silverstone PP05-E

To fit it all, the PSU is in back-to-front and the PP05-E cable kit was absolutely necessary to connect the motherboard to the PSU. The backplate on the Titan means its a bit of a squeeze to get your cables around but can be done. Additional SSD's will probably require Silverstone CP11 cables as the r-angle SATA connectors on the motherboard are almost blocked, again by the PSU.

[GRIPE]
Just one query though, the system boots in about 28 seconds! I transplanted the SSD from an ASUS VII Impact with a 4790K (and internal GPU) and that booted in ~6s. I'm running Ubuntu and I am currently planning on re-installing the OS, updating the BIOS. Any ideas on how to solve the MUCH longer boot?

I get that there are more drivers to load for the GPU and the clock speed is lower on the 5820K, but wtf?
[/GRIPE]

First build in a long time (posted also in Ncase M1 thread and here for completeness):

Ncase M1 v4
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
Core i7 5820K
[placeholder] bundled ASRock fan
EVGA GTX Titan Z SC
Samsung SM951 256GB NVME
[placeholder] Silverstone SX500-LG
[placeholder] Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB
Silverstone PP05-E

To fit it all, the PSU is in back-to-front and the PP05-E cable kit was absolutely necessary to connect the motherboard to the PSU. The backplate on the Titan means its a bit of a squeeze to get your cables around but can be done. Additional SSD's will probably require Silverstone CP11 cables as the r-angle SATA connectors on the motherboard are almost blocked, again by the PSU.

[GRIPE]
Just one query though, the system boots in about 28 seconds! I transplanted the SSD from an ASUS VII Impact with a 4790K (and internal GPU) and that booted in ~6s. I'm running Ubuntu and I am currently planning on re-installing the OS, updating the BIOS. Any ideas on how to solve the MUCH longer boot?

I get that there are more drivers to load for the GPU and the clock speed is lower on the 5820K, but wtf?
[/GRIPE]

How's your ssd doing? Mine only got 30MB/s writes so returned it. Might not be properly supported on this mobo.

How's your ssd doing? Mine only got 30MB/s writes so returned it. Might not be properly supported on this mobo.

Not done any benchmarks, but it should be supported. Got this in a reply back from Asrock tech support:

"I expect that it will work if you set:
BIOS > Boot > CSM > Storage OpROM Policy > UEFI only."

The systems boots, it just boots slow, and occasionally likes to stall on shut-down. Weird.

Back