X570 USB Issues: Keep or Exchange for Intel

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
Greetings, [H].

I know there's probably not a right or wrong answer here but seeking some input nonetheless.

I have a MSI X570 Unify and a Ryzen 9 5900x. Haven't opened them and can return/exchange both at Micro Center. Motherboard needs to be done by Tuesday because their return policy is 15 days on mobos.

We had the Ryzen 5xxx DOA thing kick up recently but it seems like that's not really an issue. The USB stuff is real though with AMD acknowledging the issue in the last few days. I've experienced it with my current Asrock X570 board. I can swap for an Intel Z590 board and a 10900 or 10850K without any hassle. I am fortunate that my employer picks up whatever hardware I want from Micro Center and I pay it back over time out of my overtime.

My sig rig is a Powerspec pre-built I got in November 2019 when I had just sold my previous i7 6700K/1080 build and didn't have time or energy to get up to speed on what was available then (I'm old). Some of that is coming to my new rig which I'm building because I can and because I want something that I can game with, process/stack astrophotography images, and also run Hyper-V to do lab and testing stuff for work (IT admin).

Would you stick with AMD or switch to Intel? I think AM4 is slated to be replaced so I'm done as far as CPU upgrades. With the Z590 we have Rocket Lake coming soon so I could upgrade CPUs down the road. I really want to build a foundation that will last me the next 3-5 years. Something I can upgrade GPUs in every two years or so.

I am fond of AMD and my 3700x is my first AMD CPU since the Athlon 64 days. But I manage hundreds of PCs, workstations, and servers at my day job and none of them are AMD. Brand doesn't really matter. Just want stable.

Apologies for the wall of confused text. Thanks for reading.

E

Last edited:

DiRtDoG

n00b
For me I would stay with AMD, for what you pay and get it the best bang for the buck imho. I currently have 3600 with MSI X570 and loving this thing, and I don't think I would look back at Intel until they start coming down in price. It also comes down to what your main purpose of your computer is it strictly gaming or you doing other things like video editing that can take advantage of AMD multi core cpu. BTW like you I am old :)

TD

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
Zero usb issues on my system (gigabyte x570, 5950x). I would say I have a lot of usb devices. Mic, kb, mouse, fulla, webcam, 2 monitors (for hubs), stream deck and a thumb drive here and there.

edit: I don’t have. Pcie 4.0 gpu running at 4.0

Last edited:

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Worst case scenario, even if AMD never comes out with a BIOS update that fixes the USB issues, you can just manually set your GPU slot to use PCIe 3.0.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
No, that is not an acceptable answer. Not running in PCIE 4.0 is absolutely ridiculous.

I said "worst case scenario". More than likely, we will get a BIOS update that fixes the issue.

But even if you had to set your GPU slot to PCIe 3.0, you would still have the benefits of a PCIe 4.0 link between the CPU and the PCH. You would still have the ability to run a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD. Setting the GPU slot to use PCIe 3.0 does not mean setting your whole system to use PCIe 3.0.

When your worst case scenario is an easy workaround that will result in a 0-5% performance decrease at most, I wouldn't call that a reason to freak out and start returning stuff, which was what the OP asked about.

thebufenator

[H]ard|Gawd
In other threads I have already posted that I don't have any USB issues with an X570, 5900x, and 6800 at PCIe 4.0. Includes overclocking all the things.

I would suggest testing what you have. Keep in mind the Intel hardware will pull more power and be hotter due to legacy nodes.

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
My return window for my MSI MEG Unify X570 board ended today. I arranged my work schedule so I could make the 35 minute drive to Micro Center. And I didn't go. Going to keep what I have and deal with any issues that arise (if any). Hoping the snag an RX6800 and/or 3080 soon so I can lock this 5900x build down for a few years. I've been at this as an enthusiast and professionally going back to the 486 days. My passion for the hardware stuff isn't what it was but I'm pretty excited for this build because I have rarely been in the position to splurge on hardware, usually settling for best bang for the buck. Grateful for this opportunity and for everyone who took the time to read and respond. Thank you.

E

Nasgul

Weaksauce
You're a brave man, but come back and tell more about the foreseen issues you will encounter. After all, it's not a stable platform and having to switch to PCIe 3.0 (going backwards although it was heavily advertised as being "1st") in order to make it work?
Then again! Stable will drive you crazy, with nothing to do or report on, nothing exciting! Boringly stable. Oh well!

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
Asrock X570 Taichi, 3900X, All 24 PCI-E lanes being used with both 3.0 and 4.0* modes, 7 of 8 SATA ports used, about 10 USB ports used, no usb issues at all. Recently transferred about 8TB over USB (which took hours, external hard drive) and it completed overnight. My system hasn't had a single crash that wasn't my fault (generally due to overclocking) since I moved to X570.

*Exclusively PCI-E 4.0 SSD because my videocard doesn't support 4.0

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
View attachment 332663
You're a brave man, but come back and tell more about the foreseen issues you will encounter. After all, it's not a stable platform and having to switch to PCIe 3.0 (going backwards although it was heavily advertised as being "1st") in order to make it work?
Then again! Stable will drive you crazy, with nothing to do or report on, nothing exciting! Boringly stable. Oh well!
Worst case I'll sell the AMD motherboard and CPU and go Intel.