X570 USB Issues: Keep or Exchange for Intel

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
Greetings, [H].

I know there's probably not a right or wrong answer here but seeking some input nonetheless.

I have a MSI X570 Unify and a Ryzen 9 5900x. Haven't opened them and can return/exchange both at Micro Center. Motherboard needs to be done by Tuesday because their return policy is 15 days on mobos.

We had the Ryzen 5xxx DOA thing kick up recently but it seems like that's not really an issue. The USB stuff is real though with AMD acknowledging the issue in the last few days. I've experienced it with my current Asrock X570 board. I can swap for an Intel Z590 board and a 10900 or 10850K without any hassle. I am fortunate that my employer picks up whatever hardware I want from Micro Center and I pay it back over time out of my overtime.

My sig rig is a Powerspec pre-built I got in November 2019 when I had just sold my previous i7 6700K/1080 build and didn't have time or energy to get up to speed on what was available then (I'm old). Some of that is coming to my new rig which I'm building because I can and because I want something that I can game with, process/stack astrophotography images, and also run Hyper-V to do lab and testing stuff for work (IT admin).

Would you stick with AMD or switch to Intel? I think AM4 is slated to be replaced so I'm done as far as CPU upgrades. With the Z590 we have Rocket Lake coming soon so I could upgrade CPUs down the road. I really want to build a foundation that will last me the next 3-5 years. Something I can upgrade GPUs in every two years or so.

I am fond of AMD and my 3700x is my first AMD CPU since the Athlon 64 days. But I manage hundreds of PCs, workstations, and servers at my day job and none of them are AMD. Brand doesn't really matter. Just want stable.

Apologies for the wall of confused text. Thanks for reading.

E

Last edited:
For me I would stay with AMD, for what you pay and get it the best bang for the buck imho. I currently have 3600 with MSI X570 and loving this thing, and I don't think I would look back at Intel until they start coming down in price. It also comes down to what your main purpose of your computer is it strictly gaming or you doing other things like video editing that can take advantage of AMD multi core cpu. BTW like you I am old :)

TD

Zero usb issues on my system (gigabyte x570, 5950x). I would say I have a lot of usb devices. Mic, kb, mouse, fulla, webcam, 2 monitors (for hubs), stream deck and a thumb drive here and there.

edit: I do have. Pcie 4.0 gpu running at 4.0

Last edited:
Worst case scenario, even if AMD never comes out with a BIOS update that fixes the USB issues, you can just manually set your GPU slot to use PCIe 3.0.

No, that is not an acceptable answer. Not running in PCIE 4.0 is absolutely ridiculous.

I said "worst case scenario". More than likely, we will get a BIOS update that fixes the issue.

But even if you had to set your GPU slot to PCIe 3.0, you would still have the benefits of a PCIe 4.0 link between the CPU and the PCH. You would still have the ability to run a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD. Setting the GPU slot to use PCIe 3.0 does not mean setting your whole system to use PCIe 3.0.

When your worst case scenario is an easy workaround that will result in a 0-5% performance decrease at most, I wouldn't call that a reason to freak out and start returning stuff, which was what the OP asked about.

In other threads I have already posted that I don't have any USB issues with an X570, 5900x, and 6800 at PCIe 4.0. Includes overclocking all the things.

I would suggest testing what you have. Keep in mind the Intel hardware will pull more power and be hotter due to legacy nodes.

My return window for my MSI MEG Unify X570 board ended today. I arranged my work schedule so I could make the 35 minute drive to Micro Center. And I didn't go. Going to keep what I have and deal with any issues that arise (if any). Hoping the snag an RX6800 and/or 3080 soon so I can lock this 5900x build down for a few years. I've been at this as an enthusiast and professionally going back to the 486 days. My passion for the hardware stuff isn't what it was but I'm pretty excited for this build because I have rarely been in the position to splurge on hardware, usually settling for best bang for the buck. Grateful for this opportunity and for everyone who took the time to read and respond. Thank you.

E

Asrock X570 Taichi, 3900X, All 24 PCI-E lanes being used with both 3.0 and 4.0* modes, 7 of 8 SATA ports used, about 10 USB ports used, no usb issues at all. Recently transferred about 8TB over USB (which took hours, external hard drive) and it completed overnight. My system hasn't had a single crash that wasn't my fault (generally due to overclocking) since I moved to X570.

*Exclusively PCI-E 4.0 SSD because my videocard doesn't support 4.0

View attachment 332663
You're a brave man, but come back and tell more about the foreseen issues you will encounter. After all, it's not a stable platform and having to switch to PCIe 3.0 (going backwards although it was heavily advertised as being "1st") in order to make it work?
Then again! Stable will drive you crazy, with nothing to do or report on, nothing exciting! Boringly stable. Oh well!
Worst case I'll sell the AMD motherboard and CPU and go Intel.

Rocketlake does come out in a few weeks so maybe return the 5900x and go for a z590 i7 combo, the rumors are that they match Ryzen in ipc again which is ridiculous because they are still on 14nm vs 7nm... power though is obviously higher. I think there is a new Ageis firmware in the wild that may fix your issues too if you look. Came out like 4 days ago: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/meg-x570-unify

I built this 5600X on an Asus Rog Strix B550-I Gaming, no issues after getting a new board. I covered my issue in the PSU thread, but a Cooler Master V850 SFX took out my last board. This is my first AMD machine since a 486 back in the day. Still getting used to OC though, the PBO can be intricate.

No, that is not an acceptable answer. Not running in PCIE 4.0 is absolutely ridiculous.
I wouldn't either, but you are talking about turning to Intel, which you may be in the same boat.

Intel only has pcie3 currently.

I've had 4 different x570 boards and 3 B550 boards, with many many USB devices. I havent had a single issue. And I have run a 2700x, 3600x, 3600, 5600x, and now a 5800x.

Last edited:
I have 6 different AMD rigs right now and no issues whatsoever with any of them or any usb devices. Two gigabyte and four msi boards but only one running gen 4 graphics but still no issue.

USB issues are hit and miss. This is why its still being investigated. I have all my USB devices used up in the back of my mobo, even running monitor hubs and usb hubs for the extra devices. Not a single one has given me an issue. Would be weird if my usb mic cut out or my sdac cut out for sound but it has been rock solid for me.

There was one issue with a bad bios update that did give me the usb issue; it was an asus one that ended up being pulled by asus for causing problems, one of which was introducing the usb bug I think. That version bios also cost me some performance in my cpu so I ditched it, but I did notice my sdac cutout while I was on that version (I saw it was unavailable as an option while testing cpu performance).

X570 user here with a 3900XT CPU, no known chipset related USB issues here.

My motherboard is an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact mDTX X570 (BIOS version 3204, released late January to early February timeframe). I have an RTX 3090 FE running as PCIE 4.0 with no problems along with two PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD drives and 3 SATA SSDs. As far as USB connections, I have: a Valve Index, Xbox controller, Razer Black Widow Elite Keyboard, Razer Basilisk Ultimate mouse, Razer Firefly V2 mousepad, Razer Kraken Ultimate USB headset, Razer Chroma base station, Razer Chroma mouse dock, and a Corsair Commander Pro.

The only issues I run into are not chipset related, but known issues with Razer and their Synapse software.

You people are funny. You cry that changing to pci-e 3.0 is unacceptable but switching to a Intel system that is 3.0 anyway. Yes it is shitty but no reason to avoid it. It doesn't seem to be a that prevalent of a issue.
I am guessing OP thought Intel was on pcie4.0, since AMD has been using it for years.

but nope, Intel is very far behind with this. In fact PCIE 5 may become mainstream before Intel releases functional stable products on 4.0

I am guessing OP thought Intel was on pcie4.0, since AMD has been using it for years.

but nope, Intel is very far behind with this. In fact PCIE 5 may become mainstream before Intel releases functional stable products on 4.0
and neither standard will really be applicable beyond the enterprise market anyway for many years. Not to say that it isn't necessary to advance the standard, but in my opinion shouldn't really be a consideration for home use.

If you want to use fast m.2 drives in future for directstorage gaming, then a working pci-e 4.0 board is a must. Intel is behind on this. Beyond that, there's no reason not to employ the pcie 3.0 workaround for your gpu at the moment. My 3090 was reglated to pci-e 3 on my intel board and I have the SAME gpu scores for gpu limited games as I did on my amd pcie 4 system. A 3090 doesn't tax pcie 3 at the least.

and neither standard will really be applicable beyond the enterprise market anyway for many years. Not to say that it isn't necessary to advance the standard, but in my opinion shouldn't really be a consideration for home use.
I wasn’t commenting on how useful it may or may not be. It’s unusual for one of the two companies to offer something newer, and the other not release the same, especially when it’s a long standing standard such as PCIE.

It is funny also how the Intel shills are ripping AMD but completely ignore the issues Intel has with the I225-V ethernet nics on z490 boards.

I'm curious statistically how many of these folks having issues are using AMD VS Nvidia graphics and if there's an issue with either graphics manufacturers spec compliance.

Dark Hero 3204 bios / 5900x / Strix 3090 / Sabrent nvme 4.0 SSD. No issues detected here. Probably a very limited occurrence rate.

Why would you guess that? I never mentioned PCIe 4.0 and it was not a major deciding factor in my purchasing decision. Intel will get there.
Nor would I. The real answer is he should have tested the board within the return window like most people do. If this rare usb bug was present he’d know on the first day.
Yeah, that would be ideal. But not realistic. Storage, RAM, video card coming over from my 3700x box that I need for remote work. And days off are all but non-existent right now.

If you would like to make any more assumptions or further instruct me on what I should be doing, you have my attention.

3700x & ASRock x570 Steel Legend & 2 x 16GB 3200 & RX 580 4GB .. no USB issues
5600x & ASRock x570 Taichi & 2 x 16GB 3200@3600 w/fclk 1:1 & RX 5700xt .. no USB issues

Both running latest BIOS's to date (AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.0)

As for me I went to AMD Ryzen last September. Right now I'm rocking a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU with an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero mobo. I've had 0 problems with the USB issues reported on my own system. I think what has helped is every couple of months I've kept the BIOS and chipset driver current. This May I'll be upgrading to the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU. If you can hang on long enough, AMD is releasing a fix to this issue with new BIOS revisions that include AGESA 1.2.0.2 which should fix the issue. For now though, so long as you flash to the most current stable BIOS and install the newest chipset driver for X570 from AMD (make sure to get it from AMD's website because they make a driver revision that will give you custom Power Management plans for your system that do help quite a bit) you'll be just fine. Thanks and until next time I am out!

The "issue" has a simple fix, go into the network control panel and turn it on and off again, and that's only in the STRIX boards (not other brands). Unlike amd which you're stuck with a platform with a plethora of issues, not just USB or ONE brand.
Besides, it's not a chipset issue but a network issue, unlike amd, which is as a whole. Then again, not even their video card drivers have ever been reliable.
https://www.pcinvasion.com/x570-and-b550-motherboard-usb-issues/
Don't forget to report to amd guys, they depend on you! Because they can't even find their own errors.
Meanwhile.........Intel fixes their own "issues": https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html
I'm certain this was helpful in some manner?

Back