x399 motherboard

resle

n00b
According to AMD, Threadripper 2 CPUs support "up to 2tb ram".
However, most of the TR4 motherboards I read the specs of, declare support for "up to 128gb ram".

Are you aware of any TR4 motherboard that will support more than 128gb ram?
If not, has anyone tried to install more than 128gb ram anyway?

Thanks

There isn't a single motherboard maker that has an X399 motherboard that supports more than 8 DIMM slots. Since DDR4 is pretty much unavailable at a density of 32GB per stick, the limit is 128GB (8x16GB dimms). Even with all dim sockets loaded, don't expect the system to be stable at all with overclocked memory.

There isn't a single motherboard maker that has an X399 motherboard that supports more than 8 DIMM slots. Since DDR4 is pretty much unavailable at a density of 32GB per stick, the limit is 128GB (8x16GB dimms). Even with all dim sockets loaded, don't expect the system to be stable at all with overclocked memory.

Right - I was, in fact, thinking of an 8 x 32gb configuration. I have actually seen 32gb sticks for sale since this summer, both ECC and not. I have no intention to overclock.
What I wonder about is: why the 128gb limit then? Given the memory controller is actually on the CPU, not the motherboard itself, and the CPU states support for "up to 2TB ram"?

I may be wrong here but I suspect when the processors were released the max density of a ddr4 stick was 16GB which would top it out at 128gb. the announcements of 32GB dimms is a very new thing and I am not sure they have actually started selling them. I suspect that if you populate all the slots with 32gb sticks, you might conceivably get to 256GB, but to be honest with you I would hold off on any purchases until you see the QVL lists updated with 32gb dimms in all 8 slots - they aren't today. Threadrippers are very finicky with the memory amount and quality they are paired with.

I may be wrong here but I suspect when the processors were released the max density of a ddr4 stick was 16GB which would top it out at 128gb. the announcements of 32GB dimms is a very new thing and I am not sure they have actually started selling them. I suspect that if you populate all the slots with 32gb sticks, you might conceivably get to 256GB, but to be honest with you I would hold off on any purchases until you see the QVL lists updated with 32gb dimms in all 8 slots - they aren't today. Threadrippers are very finicky with the memory amount and quality they are paired with.

Makes sense. In this case, would be a wiser choice to populate 4 slots only with 32gb sticks - and wait to upgrade? By going for the full 8 x 16, I would have no room for expansion later.

Back