X3 question

Forealz

Limp Gawd
I've seen the X3 series mentioned several times, and I think the idea of a trading combat space game seems really exciting. Hell, I even bought the pack sometime last year. Honestly though, I made it past the opening seen, saw my ship then became lost and never have played since.

Part of the problem is that there seems to be a hundred expansions or addons for X3:Terran conflict. I'd like to just play whatever the definitive one is, so should I just go buy Albion Prelude, the latest, and start there? The whole series confuses me from the outside looking in, but I'd like to give it another shot!

Play X3: Reunion
Then Terran Conflict
Then Albion Prelude.

The games chronologically go in that order (but you don't necessarily have to).

Is the confusion due to all the user mods out there? I played X3: Reunion stock but I do understand that the games, especially TC can be expanded significantly with user made content.

If they're sandbox games and take 1000 hours then I'd like to play whichever one has the most complete gameplay. Looking at the wikipedia page, I must have assumed there were more add on packs than there actually are.

I'm reading the wikia for story, so I don't really need to play multiple sandbox games to get the gist.

Honestly I'm kind of excited to get home and play it. I'm hoping I can play it with one monitor while doing productive irl stuff with my other monitor.

Do powerful enemies exist in this game that I can fight? I love the tension that is created when an overwhelmingly powerful enemy exists and I must build an empire to crush it. I definitely never bore faster in a sandbox game when I get a decent empire going and then realize that every enemy is either too dumb or feeble to resist my might.

the real problem with X3 is the beginning.. because of its sandbox nature from the get go you feel so overwhelmed that you will get frustrated.

the biggest thing is to not get frustrated, its a huge game with lots of elements.. Just take it a little at a time and you'll eventually get the hang of it..

also maybe check out this video tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTJNnSL1_YU

lots of flying around...even with a jump drive. I guess patience is the key. I didn't have any for the game. It does look very interesting though.

Arg I wish windowed mode worked better, this seems perfect to have running on one monitor while working on the other

I just purchased X3 Albion Prelude and its very addictive.
I went with the Humble Merchant since I want to conquer the
galaxies with trade and have my drones or hired gun do all the fighting for me.

When playing this route you need some very important upgrades -
Jump Drive which is very expensive about 100K credits.
Life support 5K, Command Expansion and you want to boost your
Engines and router to the max. The cargo space is expensive to upgrade.
With the life support you can make 100K - 300K in transporting people around.

Becareful when you are approached by some one who is looking to sell you his
ship very cheap. Chances are to get it back to its former glory you will
need to spend what the ship cost anyways.

This site has helped me a bunch - http://roguey.co.uk/x3tc/

Good luck!

It's a fun game for sure. I've been playing X3:TC with the xtended 2.0 mod recently. Pretty impressive changes. Thus far I've mostly been wandering the universe and getting into and out of trouble.

I'd recommend starting off with Terran Conflict rather than X3: Reunion. It's much more accessible than X3:R. Also, the story in these games seem largely forgettable (certainly was in TC, didn't play very far into the X3:R story) so I wouldn't even worry about that aspect personally.

I bought Albion Pride as soon as it was launched, but I still haven't really played it yet so can't comment on that one.

I'd say modding is both the greatest strength and biggest weakness of the X3 games. There is so much you can, and people do, do. But sorting through all the mods can be very daunting as well.

Go explore, fly around, see if you can get a good M3 or M6 ship and maybe blast some pirates or build an empire. There is no theme per say as you put it. All the expansions are just mods. One thing to do before jumping into the game is to do the combat simulations. A fun way to do it is not to actually fight yourself, but to program your ship to attack someone. and keep doing that. It will fight automatically for you. You will get better idea of the controls this way. (, and . are your best friends in this case)

Definitely visit Roguey's website, load some mods that offer more jobs on the bulletin board, and maybe some others that look like fun. There are new and very cool ships that people also have created.

I was seriously playing X2, but never finished it, don't know how many hundreds of hours later, same with X3. The original X though was brutal by comparison... you start off with a terran space shuttle :D

Arg I wish windowed mode worked better, this seems perfect to have running on one monitor while working on the other

the game does have a "run in background" option under gameplay i think so when you alt tab the simulation still runs in the background so if you want to work while you have SETA or on a long travel no jump drive you can atleast alt-tab without it pausing the game.

just make sure to save before hand incase the AI kills you. by slamming into another ship asteroid or you get ambushed by pirates.

window mode should work tho so you can still see whats going on. i honestly never tried it tho.

I was using a nifty rebalance mod that also included visible cockpits. Can't remember what it's called ATM. Also a few smaller mods and add-ons here and there just to add some more flavor and life to the universe.

180739BC2CB06DECFEA0DB0635C3A2B0E16D9DE6

I always wanted to get into this game but I just got overwhelmed or sidetracked on different games. I'm really looking forward to trying again with X: Rebirth, though.

Wow the inside cockpit view looks amazing.

Do you guys mind posting some of these mods , I have been to the site and like it was
said earlier there are just too many of them. I heard of scripts which can display different
views inside the ship as well.

I finally purchase my 1st Cahoona Bakery station, I had to hire a Mammouth Tanker which only charged 3k per gate, Of course Im playing as a transporter and have not seen any action.

I was reading GameInformer today and this game cought my eye it was in an old issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rb-8mYHE0
Star Citizen - focus more on battles , but its does also have a living economy.

imo if its ure first time playing the game dont worry about mods and play it vanilla.

only worry about pimping the game out after youve gotten a really good feel for the game and dont mind drastically changing the game balance, like the XRM Overhaul does alot of changes and requires a game restart any way.

Back