X: Rebirth official thread.

The modders have already fixed a number of issues, but nothing can save this game short of major updates from the devs. The "Worth A Buy" link posted earlier sums it all up. I'm stepping away from this title for awhile (or longer), which is a shame. It should have been able to tide people over until SC came out.

I'm really bummed by this. X3:TC is my most played single player game. I was a huge fan of just about everything in it. The huge learning curve was tolerable compared to how much you can actually do in the game (I consider becoming proficient with the UI to be a part of the learning curve). I had weekends where I would sit down at my joystick friday night and only get up for bathroom/food until Sunday evening.

Rebirth is just disappointing. Guess I'll just start a new empire in TC...

So, it's been a few months since this came out. I still haven't bought it. I see the devs have put out some patches and whatnot, is the game worth getting now? Or is it still just a crappy game? I'm hankering for a space sim with some sexy graphics, should I give Rebirth a shot?

Yea I'd like to know this too. I was ready to buy until I read day 2 user reviews. Has it gotten any better ?

I think the main problem with this is just that the mechanics themselves did not work. I'm not sure any amount of patches will fix that, sadly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd like to know for sure, but it seemed like there was more than just performance issues and bugs.

There are core game engine issues. This was a total let down, you are better off picking up, or reinstalling X3:TC or Albion.

Yeah this is still trash, according to some friends who fired it up a week or two ago. Not only is it mechanically broken, but there's not much content to go through.

Would probably pick it up for $5 though

If you go into X:R without any previous knowledge of X3 games, then it maybe not so bad. If you put more than 5 hours into the X3 games. Skip it because you'll just be irritated at what they took out of the series.

If you go into X:R without any previous knowledge of X3 games, then it maybe not so bad. If you put more than 5 hours into the X3 games. Skip it because you'll just be irritated at what they took out of the series.

I would have to agree with this. There would still be some glaring bugs and issues, but if you have no other X game experience it could still be an ok space game. The actual flying around in the Skunk is not that bad, and that part of the game looks great as well. Just download a mod that allows you to skip the horrific space station hatchet job and a virgin X game player may have a enjoyable experience.

I'd wait for a steam sale though. The game is barely worth 9.99. Sure as hell not 49.99.

Yeah, I wasn't going to pay $50, but I figured I might put it on my wishlist so I'd be notified if it goes on sale.

I haven't actually played the other X games, I got put off by people suggesting it's very time consuming if you want to enjoy it, I more wanted something I could play for a couple of hours a week and actually still have fun with it.

X Rebirth looks to have had a big update and is going for half price. Worth getting now, or still avoid it?

Egosoft is extremely pleased to finally announce the release of X Rebirth 2.0 - Secret Service Missions. After considerable effort and with an eye to all the great feedback we've received, X Rebirth 2.0 represents a major update for a wide variety of gameplay mechanics.

• New Feature: Three new gamestarts, each with a new cockpit configuration.
• New Feature: Rebalanced combat with three difficulty settings.
• New Feature: Additional commands for your ships.
• New Feature: Autopilot can fly your ship while you are busy.
• New Feature: All new highway flight model.
• New Feature: Most tasks can now be performed without landing on stations.
• New Feature: Full screen HUD detail monitor option.
• New Feature: Clicks on event monitor now open relevant menus.
• New Feature: Map/radar on event monitor.
• New Feature: New ships in Omicron Lyrae.
• New Feature: Huge new Xenon ship.
• New Feature: Four new missile types.
• New Feature: Improved graphics for an even more beautiful universe.
• New Feature: New graphics options and presets.
• New Feature: New start menu scene.
• New Feature: New Steam achievements.
• Added support for up to 8 input devices (now even your pet octopus can get the most from the game).
• Added option to buy replacement player ship cockpit layout from certain traders.
• Added shield damage for collisions.
• Improved responsiveness of main menu and dialogs.
• Improved event monitor with more space for important information.
• Improved positioning of interface elements in first person mode.
• Improved production logic now skips products where the station has too much stock.
• Fixed gamepad mode switching on when axis has non-zero value while at rest.
• Fixed problem with wrecked state of ship/station surface elements not always being loaded from savegames correctly.
• Fixed collectable objects not showing a target element.
• Fixed gates not showing a target element.
• Fixed info points not being displayed at drone launch pads.
• Fixed cases where clicking on larger targets didn't work.
• Fixed rare instance of mission objective bar being stuck on screen.
• Fixed text field not being reset when closing and reopening trade menu.
• Fixed problems with overlapping/truncated text on first person event monitor.
• Fixed cases resulting in jumping target elements.
• Fixed incorrect text in certain conversations.
• Fixed icon size in licence encyclopedia entry.
• Fixed distance sorting in trade menu.
• Fixed capital ships becoming invisible when boosting while player is close.
• Fixed cases where build icons were displayed without a builder ship in the player squad.
• Fixed missing trade offers for architects with no money.
• Fixed rare case of missing target elements (usually build locations or player owned cap ships).
• Fixed cases where targeting objects using gamepad/joystick controls did not work correctly.
• Fixed trade restrictions menu getting stuck.
• Fixed several causes of occasional crashes.
• Various optimisations resulting in small performance improvements.

I too, would like to know if this is now worth getting after that big patch and 1/2 off.

I don't know if its possible to make x rebirth a good game. or at least a better game than x3

Lipstick and pig come to mind.
Looks like a fresh coat of paint on the same flawed concept.

Aka the big huge detractor is still there: You're stuck to the one ship and can't switch to something else.

I likely wont have time to try out the new patch prior to this weekend, but I did fire it up for about 15 minutes yesterday. Seemed a bit more laggy than it was back in November at release. Frame rate seemed to be about 15-20fps on my fairly high end machine. I can't comment on the new content/features or anything because I started a new game and didn't really get anywhere to determine anything.

The new radar and stuff though was pretty awesome and really well done.

If X:Rebirth is flawed, I am eager to see how Limit Theory ends up. Limit Theory is shaping up to be a X series killer.

Back