WU #3065

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
I checked the project page and the 3065 WU weighs like 2144 pernts and according to FAHmon 2.3.2b it's getting 2720.14 ppd on a Q6600 OC'ed to 2.8 GHz and only running 1x F@H client in Ubuntu v8.04 Linux.

Does this sound like it's in the "ballpark" or should I run a VM in native Linux (I had planned to after it gets H2O) ? :confused: This boxen is pretty much a dedicated 24/7 folder, ATM air cooled, but soon it'll be under water like it's brother (I'm waitin' on another mobo in the mail). :D

The reason I'm asking is should I wait for the FahCore_a2 thing to come out or maybe it's already out :confused:? I only plan to run 1x client on my winders Q6600 boxen because ATM it's my main boxen and I like the expression "it's better to be safe than sorry". I've read too many stories about the nightmare of running F@H and using some memory intensive programs. :rolleyes:

Would one of the very experienced folders on this teriffic forum please chime in? I'm in a quandary about the FahCore_a2 thing and if the future WU's are going to make runnung VM on a quad redundant? :eek:

I have a 3065 running on 1/2 a Q6600 @3Ghz. I'm getting ~1850 ppd on it. (this is one of my headless/diskless boxen)

For me if you only going to run 1x client the VM is not worth the extra RAM it eats up.

I know Tiger and some others are going to say otherwise, but like I said, IMO

If it is a dedicated folder I say go headless/diskless, but you can't use it for anything else if you do that.

(btw, see ya in 2 months ;))

:rolleyes:
I have a 3065 running on 1/2 a Q6600 @3Ghz. I'm getting ~1850 ppd on it. (this is one of my headless/diskless boxen)

For me if you only going to run 1x client the VM is not worth the extra RAM it eats up.

I know Tiger and some others are going to say otherwise, but like I said, IMO

If it is a dedicated folder I say go headless/diskless, but you can't use it for anything else if you do that.

(btw, see ya in 2 months ;))

Thanks for the quick reply Kendrak, at the "tune" of 13 thou + pernts ppd you'll probably mow me over before 2x months (just wave as you go by) :D

When you say headless/diskless you mean no monitor or HD right? :confused: If so, I've had some bad experiences with flash drives (used as HD's) and I've read using a optical drive as HD you stand to loose your work if you have a power failure (of course I have an old battery backup)

I want the option of playing with the boxen (I only have 2x quads and I'll probably not do anything with the Ubuntu quad except fold and look at it, so not having the monitor wouldn't work for me ATM. (I have 4x boxen on one KVM switch)

Do you think it would be advantageous to go ahead and VM the boxen :confused: A couple hundred pernts is no big deal to me, but thanks to Tigerbiten's sticky on VM's it's easier to install VM on a quad (and who knows if I'll ever see a 3065 WU again ) :confused:.

All my 6600's are usually OC'ed to 3.0 GHz, I just cut them all back from 3.0 GHz to 2.8 GHz due to summer time temps)?

The thing I do when I get a new protien is go over to Fah Info and look ups it PpDpGhz value.
On a Kentfeild p3065 is worth 232 PpDpGhz.
So 232 PpDpGhz x 2.8 Ghz x 4 cores = ~2,600 PpD.
So you are in the right ballpark.

Its worth 274 PpDpGhz on a Conroe.
So 274 x 2.8 x 2 = ~1,530 PpD or about 3,060 PpD on two clients.
So you would only get ~460 PpD extra running 2 copies vs 1 copy.
Thats fairly low when seen against some of the other protiens out there.
p2605 runs about double that.

As for how long running VM's is going to pay off, I dont know.
With the new a2 core the advantage will be smaller.
Its a question of will you staturate the memory bus running two client.
If you do then the advantage will soon turn to a disadvantage.

Luck ............ :D

Any word on when the A2 will get released to us common folks? :confused:

Tiger has about everything correct. I usually end up crunching one of them along with a 3062 or 3064 on the two native Linux clients running on my main machine and the PPD figures seem to be about what I get if I wasn't running two clients.

Sadly enough, half the time I would get the same PPD or close to it if I was only running 1 native client. One of these days I'll get around to installing a single VM for folding on the machine and have it snag the 2605 and 2653s along with the 306x work units for a bit better PPD. I lose about 800-1000 PPD running two native clients instead of two VMs as I have another [email protected] running dual VMs. It does around 4800PPD with the dual VMs.

Any word on when the A2 will get released to us common folks? :confused:

No word yet. We didn't get a new version to test yet and like I said in another thread, they have their hands a bit too full right now (for a good reason, bear with them) ;)

I hope their hands are full dealing with final testing on the Nvidia client. :D

Back