WTB X299 or Threadripper System

DeChache

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm in need of a new workstation. I would be interested in a X299 or 2/3 gen Threadripper. I only need CPU and Motherboard. Budget will depend on what is offered. Ideally at least 24 threads (I'm coming from Dual 1366 6 core Xeons)

Heat is DeChache
Ebay DeChache87

I have two 7960x (one is delidded, the other is not) and an ASRock X299 OC Formula that are going to be coming out of my desktop this week. Feel free to send a PM or publicly post an offer. It's a lot easier if you'd put what you're loosely looking to spend per platform in the orginal post: $W-X X299 and $Y-Z Threadripper . If we're so far off on pricing I would've read it in your post, never bothered posting this, and it'd save you time reading a potentially pointless response and replying.

Thanks

Someone has a pretty solid deal for a TR 1950x combo on Anandtech. I know it's first gen, but it has some significant money savings baked in and you could upgrde to a 29xx CPU in the future.

Remember that 1/2 gen TR use the same STR4 boards where 3rd gen TR moves to sTRX4 and a new platform with PCIe4, more PCIe lanes, etc. The cost goes up quite a bit. Also, TR begs for water cooling but Noctua has a solid air option. No All In One coolers for threadripper that are worth a damn yet so keep that in mind.

Thank you for the information. I am well aware of what I'm getting into with both platforms. Though I do appreciate the confirmation of my research.

2nd Gen TR probably doesn't make the most sense but if I could find a decent deal it would still be faster than these X5660's :) I wish I didn't need greater than 64gb of ram otherwise Ryzen 3000 would probably be more than enough and way less cost... Beaflag VonRathburg Google tells me that board has 4 RAM slots? If so thank you for the offer but I will pass. I want to be able to expand to 128GB at some point.

Last edited:
I may have an EVGA x299 dark mobo freeing up soon. Going to matx setup. If you have any interest shoot me an offer.

Back