• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

wow SSD are awesome

ebduncan

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
2,009
So i finally bit the bullet and decided to get a SSD. My mobo being sata 3.0 capable and the new sata 3 drives read/write speeds looked promising.

I have been rocking 2 western digital Black 7200rpm drives in raid-0 for nearly 3 years.

I removed them from the raid setup, and they are now just storage drives. With my new Mushkin Chronos 120gb sata 3 drive now taking the role of primary boot drive and gaming drive.

All i can say is wow, boot speed is awesome, loading speed is awesome. Such a big difference. I can honestly say it was the best upgrade i've done to my pc in years.

Guess i'm on the SDD bandwagon now. Death to Mechanical drives!! ok maybe not, but soon as the higher capacity drives come down from their stupid high prices, those spinner drives will be gone for good.
 
I have been voicing the view that SSDs are not an improvement. Over the past couple weeks I have been "playing" with our computers.

My daughter's computer old computer had gotten too slow for her preferences so I replaced it with a new computer with a SSD. I did not notice a big difference.

This past week I took a new HD and placed it in the old computer, reloaded windows and whatever software I needed to use. With the new HD Windows loads and is ready to run much faster and runs as fast or fast than any other computer we have. (And the comparison includes 3 computers with SSDs).

On the other hand I replaced the server OS and data drives with one SSD. That machine is much more responsive. But it only has a 7 year old low level pentium.
 
I have been voicing the view that SSDs are not an improvement. Over the past couple weeks I have been "playing" with our computers.

My daughter's computer old computer had gotten too slow for her preferences so I replaced it with a new computer with a SSD. I did not notice a big difference.

This past week I took a new HD and placed it in the old computer, reloaded windows and whatever software I needed to use. With the new HD Windows loads and is ready to run much faster and runs as fast or fast than any other computer we have. (And the comparison includes 3 computers with SSDs).

On the other hand I replaced the server OS and data drives with one SSD. That machine is much more responsive. But it only has a 7 year old low level pentium.

You are apparently doing something way wrong then...... they are a large improvement indeed. Either that or you bought crap SSDs. You must also realize that older computers may not do as well because of the SATA controller you have as well.
 
Every PC that I put in an SSD has resulted in a massive improvement. Even an X25-M in a 2nd gen Asus EEE Netbook and a PC that I used to boot with RAID0 2x1 TB WD Caviar Blacks had a massive improvement. Something is wrong with GeorgeHR's setups.
 
The X25-V in my netbook was a noticeable improvement even tho it's sequential write speeds aren't much better than a cheap 2.5mm laptop drive's speed, random write speeds are still a big improvement and the netbook tends to page a lot of smaller fragments out to virtual memory when it runs out of RAM (grr, Firefox)...
 
Back
Top