WoW: Mists of Pandaria releasing September 25

yea when will they introduce the rmah into wow or are they still waiting on titan for that?

I saw an idiot pay $250 for an axe in D3.
GOD I just thought people were stupid now I know
No RMAH for WoW just yet.

You say that like $15 is a lot of money.

Yep, $15 is clearly a fortune for a monthly fee for something that gets expanded over time, maintains 24/7 massively-multiplayer servers, and offers a solid service.

/sarcasm

I still am amazed that people would rather pay $50 in microtransactions/month to "keep up with the joneses" instead of just pay $15/mo for a level playing field and a proper service. 15 really isn't much for what you're getting...

You rang?

You're supposed to say, "Yes, my son?" :D.

You say that like $15 is a lot of money.

Over time I have maintained 2 accounts including box sales, expansions, realm transfers AND that teeney tiny monthly sub of $15...no wait $30 a month. I added up what I have spent on WOW all in total at one time, and it was well over $1500. After I realized what I was wasting on it I dropped my subs, and haven't looked back. There are just too many better b2p games out now that I can simply buy and be done with *cough*GW2*cough*. I can say with absolute 100% certainty I will NEVER go back to a sub based game ever again.

so in the end no $15 a month isn't much money, but $15 a month over several years is, and is simply not worth it to me.

Over time I have maintained 2 accounts including box sales, expansions, realm transfers AND that teeney tiny monthly sub of $15...no wait $30 a month. I added up what I have spent on WOW all in total at one time, and it was well over $1500. After I realized what I was wasting on it I dropped my subs, and haven't looked back. There are just too many better b2p games out now that I can simply buy and be done with *cough*GW2*cough*. I can say with absolute 100% certainty I will NEVER go back to a sub based game ever again.

so in the end no $15 a month isn't much money, but $15 a month over several years is, and is simply not worth it to me.

But you had fun right? For me that determines whether or not I'm in a game, not the cost.

I figured it out that over the course of several years it came out to about 25 cents an hour for myself at one point. Any of my other hobbies are way more expensive, the amount I spent on WoW over several years wouldn't pay for all my paintball equipment, it might pay for my paint for the summer. So I see it as a pretty good value for all the entertainment I get. I have no problems paying for subs for games for that reason.

How many hundreds(thousands?) of hours of entertainment did you get out of that paltry $1500 dollars? I doubt Guild Wars 2 will last years, like WoW has.

mmorpg groups seem to fall into 2 groups - the hardcore stance against paying monthly fees for games while telling others how paying monthly fees is dumb and the other group that will be pay 15/month a month

theres no middle ground lol

Honestly I don't care what other people think of me and my spending habits. I like WoW so I play WoW. In order to do that I pay something so cheap as $15 a month to be able to play WoW.

Most of the hate twords WoW is mostly from people who either A) couldn't figure the game out so they trash talk it or B) Wasted their life playing the game so much that when they looked back and realised what happened the only way to pull out was to hate on it or anyone who plays it.

People who don't play it are a little vocal about it, but they don't care. Its easy not to get hooked, infact its much more fun if you aren't hooked.

LOL @ saying GW2 is a better game than WOW. I'm not a WOW fan at all, and even I know that's not true. GW2 in about a month from now will be down to a small hardcore base of die-hard fans. WOW in a month from now will be booming, as it always has been ;). P.S. $1500 over the course of 7-8 years is not excessive for a hobby. If you think it's not worth it to you, then don't subscribe, but if you were having fun while spending that cash, it was worth it at that point (clearly it was or you wouldn't have kept paying).

How many hundreds(thousands?) of hours of entertainment did you get out of that paltry $1500 dollars? I doubt Guild Wars 2 will last years, like WoW has.

Exactly.

I just don't see why $1500 seems like a lot of money when spread over what, 5-6 years? Even 3? I was a very hardcore WoW player from 2005-2007, so all through vanilla when raiding was much more of a challenge (40 people, way less understanding of the game mechanics and mods), I had a PVP rank 14 rogue, etc. All in all I put over 5000 hours into WoW in 3 years. During that time I paid 36*14.99, plus let's say $60 for gold, and call it an even $600. Now, not including the $500 I sold my account for, that would $600/5000 = $0.12 an hour for entertainment.

My other hobby, working on cars, for example - my exhaust system on my STI alone was $1499. So the amount of money I spent on that one part could have been spent on playing 7.5 YEARS of WoW. Obviously this is a really dumb comparison, but 'm just making the point that MMOs are super cheap if you spend enough time in them. $600 spread over 3 years would only buy you ten other AAA titles at 59.99.

I just don't see why $1500 seems like a lot of money when spread over what, 5-6 years? Even 3? I was a very hardcore WoW player from 2005-2007, so all through vanilla when raiding was much more of a challenge (40 people, way less understanding of the game mechanics and mods), I had a PVP rank 14 rogue, etc. All in all I put over 5000 hours into WoW in 3 years. During that time I paid 36*14.99, plus let's say $60 for gold, and call it an even $600. Now, not including the $500 I sold my account for, that would $600/5000 = $0.12 an hour for entertainment.

My other hobby, working on cars, for example - my exhaust system on my STI alone was $1499. So the amount of money I spent on that one part could have been spent on playing 7.5 YEARS of WoW. Obviously this is a really dumb comparison, but 'm just making the point that MMOs are super cheap if you spend enough time in them. $600 spread over 3 years would only buy you ten other AAA titles at 59.99.

Good point. Ten games at 6-10 hours per game average nowadays... so let's be generous and say 100 hours, versus.... yeah, I don't think many people play WOW for less than 100 hours over the course of three years of being subscribed.

WoW really helped with my game spending habits. I pretty much gave up buying full games from 2004-2012 outside of expansion sets because I didn't have time for WoW and other games. I used to buy 3-4 games a month for my video game consoles before then. $15 a month for a sub with an occasional expansion, or $240 per month for other games that I would beat in 20 hours and never touch again.

As a WoW Beta player, up until a few months ago, I can say that I've had the proverbial sheet over my head for what seems like 8 years almost. Pass on that shit. Granted, if you have a solid amount of people to play with, any game is fun, but WoW is certainly a rusty wheel with a deflated tire on it. Also GW2 and TSW are MUCH better games than WoW is at the moment. Would I have choose WoW if it just came out over GW2 and TSW? Probably. Maybe. But at this point in time? I don't think so. No reason to unless, like I said, a lot of people you may know are playing it, and you can all enjoy it together. But then again I'm not sure what I'm trying to get at exactly, since if you've got a group of friends, any of the three mentioned games will be great. I suppose it also depends on how you feel about $15-30 a month, as opposed to possible and optional micro-transactions.

I've got to also add in that a lot of people see the monthly payments as moot, because the amount of play time and fun they've gotten out of it is more important. I'd have to agree on the fun part, but disagree on the monthly payment part. Looking back at the raid nights for the past few years, I'd gladly go back in time and slap the shit out of myself for thinking that hardcore crap was fun, and the cost was justified. But if you think differently, hey, more power to you I suppose.

Last edited:
Quick question: If I don't even have a Blizzard account and yet I get what's obviously a fake phishing scam email trying to represents themselves as Blizzard in regards to said nonexistent account...who should I report it to? The real Blizzard should be made aware of this for starters. It's a pretty good looking fake.

Quick question: If I don't even have a Blizzard account and yet I get what's obviously a fake phishing scam email trying to represents themselves as Blizzard in regards to said nonexistent account...who should I report it to? The real Blizzard should be made aware of this for starters. It's a pretty good looking fake.

I think I definitely have a fake email here, so what do I do with it now?
Well, the first thing you should consider doing is forwarding the entire email to our [email protected] email address.

Please also copy and paste the email header into the message body in order to ensure that we can fully identify the source of the mail, and hopefully help prevent future phishing mails of the same type.

That should do it. :)

Also if you care about it more, go here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641151

If you keep reading, it'll show you how to check it's information etc.

Blizzard will never send you an email with any links, unless you specifically asked/requested. Plus they won't let you know about any banning or warnings or let you know you are being inspected for such actions.

Over time I have maintained 2 accounts including box sales, expansions, realm transfers AND that teeney tiny monthly sub of $15...no wait $30 a month. I added up what I have spent on WOW all in total at one time, and it was well over $1500.

Save up that $1500, get a good bike, and undo the damage that WoW did to your health over that time. That's the route I'm going. GW2 play time is a reward for a good long bike ride these days.

Save up that $1500, get a good bike, and undo the damage that WoW did to your health over that time. That's the route I'm going. GW2 play time is a reward for a good long bike ride these days.

That's a good idea...I want a nice road bike, but never really thought about it too much. *light, ooh'ing noises*.

You know the Pandaren have been around since the early Warcrafts right? I mean move on if the game bores you, but if it's the lore, that's a different thing entirely.

You are correct, Pandaren have been around for awhile now. But the depiction of the panderan is very much like Kung Fu Panda. (From what i've played/seen)

That's a good idea...I want a nice road bike, but never really thought about it too much. *light, ooh'ing noises*.

Do it. The game play is even better when your muscles are nicely sore. I picked up a Marin Palisades on closeout, and love it.

The whole $15 a month argument gets brought up in EVERY thread about world of warcraft. It usually goes like this.

Side 1 (anti WOW): I added up the amount I spent on the game over the last X amount of years I have been playing it. The amount I paid blew my mind. I can't believe I spent that much on a video game.

Side 2 (pro wow): Well, if you figure $15 a month.. me and my (wife/dog/friend depending on status) spends that much alone going out to (insert activity here) once a month.

Neither side is wrong. People are going to spend their money on things they enjoy. I spent over $2000 last year on league hockey. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean that "OMGZ HOCKEY SUCKS!!" or that basketball is better. Want to argue about pandas? I've seen some hairy bastards on the ice that would put panda bears to shame..

Yeah a quit a few years ago. Tried cataclysm to 81 when they did that shin dig, then I bought it made it to 83 and decided the game had nothing left for me. Part of me wants to try MoP, but only in a nostalgia sense. I know i'd get bored quickly. I hope titan is all it's cracked up to be.

Back