Wow losing ground?

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
So the cat is out of the bag and the 3rd expansion has been announced. Big changes across the boards and it looks like another good amount of content for us wow players. Despite all of this, something feels missing. Something that I remembered from the last few expansions. I think its the level of excitement from the general public.

Remember when they announced BC? It was HUGE! Remember WOTLK? I even saw the announcement on my local news station talking about it. It was diggs number one article for the day.. people were excited to say the least.

Fast forward to yesterday. The expansion was announced and..... not much happened. I even called my good buddy who I play with (who has been playing since beta) and told him about it. His replies weren't as exciting as I thought they would be. If anybody would be excited I thought it would be him, but instead I got a very "meh" response.

Has anybody else noticed this?

***Please don't post your "wow ruined my life so I quit" story. If you want to do that, dig up one of the 100s of threads here or make a new one. I don't want this thread to turn into one of those.***

I recently started playing WoW. I look forward to Cataclysm, but I'm not caring about it too much right now since I'm sure it's not coming out till a year later. Right now I'm enjoying ToC and levelling up other characters. In preparation for the expansion pack. I think it's just that some people still hold grudges about the expansion pack providing better uncommon (green) items that beat their old epic gears that they worked hard for in the previous expansion. But that doesn't bother me though, so I don't know about you...

peoplw are going to realise that paying on average $180/yr just to play one game is plain nutz

peoplw are going to realise that paying on average $180/yr just to play one game is plain nutz

I have already realized that and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. This is coming from a guy who spends ~$250 on 1k rounds of 7.62x39 frequently.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer for the new expansion is how it was all gameplay footage, which is cool in it's own way I guess. But what always got me really excited were the classic Blizzard cinematics. Those things are awesome, and those are usually what get me excited.

I like how they take mechanics from other games and put them in there game to try and draw customers away from other companies.

Ya I think so. After 4 years I'm no longer interested in it neither are my friends. The sad truth is while I did have fun I must say the overall experience is a negative. Way to many hours doing tedious tasks and no feeling of completion (finishing the game). So no it didn't ruin my life but looking back on it I wish I didn't play it so long.

I've been doing some catch up on single player games and WOW what a breath of fresh air! ;)

Last edited:
Ya I think so. After 4 years I'm no longer interested in it neither are my friends. The sad truth is while I did have some fun I must say the overall experience is a negative. Way to many hours doing tedious tasks and no feeling of completion.

Well in a way its testament to the appeal of the game that people actually play it for four years. Anyone playing it for that long is going to be getting a little bored with some aspects. But that doesn't mean there aren't new players taking the place of those leaving. I've played for 3-4 years and still enjoy it. I know someone that stopped playing, after having done most of the content (lots of free time!) and so was getting bored with not much interesting to do. But now he's come back to the game after about a month trying other games- because none of the other games he tried were as enjoyable.

Personally I still think its a decent game. Yes I know, you can call me a fanboy. :)

Not really. I find spending 180 on 3 or 4 games that only see about 50 hours of game play(if that in most cases) to be more nuts honestly. I don't play wow, but if someone is getting 100+ hours of game play a year out of it I can see the appeal and the way it sounds, most people are probably doubling or tripling that.

$180/yr for many hours of entertainment compared to 1 night of drinking for over $180
but yea it's not that wow is bad game its just getting old in my opinion

I'm looking forward to it. I don't care about having the best gear to show off and all that bullshit. As usual, people continue to falsely compare WoW with real life and get upset when their "accomplishments" suddenly become obsolete or don't persist.

I play to experience the artists' enviornment, the music, and all the neat nuances they add to the game. I also like to make my character stronger so I can do more damage! That's it really.

I'd say there's probably not a whole lot of buzz around these times because most people around here have moved on. But everyone that I know who play regularly are very excited.

hell, a lot of WoW players probably easily top 100 hours in 2 weeks, not a year. i haven't played since early 08 and hearing about this new expansion makes me want to resubscribe even less. i read about how they'll have to backtrack on the lore since they ruined the progression, and things like enabling dwarf shamans and tauren rogues makes it laughable. they're truly running out of ideas but still trying to milk a 5 year old graphics engine for even more.

Dwarf Shamans have always existed in the lore (Wildhammer clan) and there are no Tauren Rogues. There are however Tauren Pallies/priests coming, but that's *not* based off of lore. It's an active evolution of the Tauren culture itself, not something that was "set in stone" 10,000 years ago.

A Tauren Rogue would remind me of a 2 handed axe wielding assassin from DAoC back in the day. Instant stealth 1 shots anyone? Those were the days back then haha.

life is too short to play the same game constantly for 5+ years...how long can they beat a dead horse...and its not like its getting better either. however, i read they make 100million dollars every month from wow so yea, someone's still playing it...lol

i'll be curious what their next mmo is

If for some reason people are starting to bore of WoW, I'd say 5 years was a damn good run for a subscription game. Anyone wanna do the math as to how much WoW has profited from all those subscriptions? Yikes.

If WoW is on a decline, this would be a first. Even up into WotLK, the player base was still growing. It'll be a long time before it'll actually start "dying off." I bet Blizzard's next MMO will be there to fill its shoes.

If for some reason people are starting to bore of WoW, I'd say 5 years was a damn good run for a subscription game. Anyone wanna do the math as to how much WoW has profited from all those subscriptions? Yikes.

Yeah not shit :eek: It's at least over $5 BILLION :eek::eek::eek:

If WoW is on a decline, this would be a first. Even up into WotLK, the player base was still growing. It'll be a long time before it'll actually start "dying off." I bet Blizzard's next MMO will be there to fill its shoes.

Yep...If at launch of WoTLK last year they had their highest base ever of 11 million people, they have a long way to go be the #2 MMO on the market :p

I mean what is the 2nd most popular MMO currently ? LoTR-online or AoC ? Or maybe that super hero MMO ? But still none of those even have 1 million player base. So WoW will not be "losing" ground for quite some time.

The only game to possibly compete with WoW is the new Bioware StarWars game, but that is not due out until Fall 2010 at the earliest, and then they would need to have over 10 million players to beat WoW, that's a pretty daunting feat for any game to accomplish.

$180/yr for many hours of entertainment compared to 1 night of drinking for over $180
but yea it's not that wow is bad game its just getting old in my opinion

Where do you go drinking?

Even at state college I can drink for <$80 a night. While getting totally smashed.

I'm looking forward to it. I don't care about having the best gear to show off and all that bullshit. As usual, people continue to falsely compare WoW with real life and get upset when their "accomplishments" suddenly become obsolete or don't persist.

I play to experience the artists' enviornment, the music, and all the neat nuances they add to the game.

Woohoo. Someone like me in WoW. Like I said in another thread, I like to just take time to ride across the land and "soak" up the enviroment. Questing/raiding/pvp gets boring and just for pure enjoyment love being able to ride across whole continents without a loading screen. Really, look how freakin massive the continents are and how far you travel. Its still pretty amazing, and still nobody can match that in any MMO.

Sure I take the summers off from WoW, but being someone that was in playing in the beta all the way till today, I can still find plenty to do in this game. I wish others would actually learn from how WoW is setup.;)

Woohoo. Someone like me in WoW. Like I said in another thread, I like to just take time to ride across the land and "soak" up the enviroment. Questing/raiding/pvp gets boring and just for pure enjoyment love being able to ride across whole continents without a loading screen. Really, look how freakin massive the continents are and how far you travel. Its still pretty amazing, and still nobody can match that in any MMO.

Sure I take the summers off from WoW, but being someone that was in playing in the beta all the way till today, I can still find plenty to do in this game. I wish others would actually learn from how WoW is setup.;)

I totally agree :cool: Been playing since November 2004, and not one 80 yet. I have a Level 78DK, 70 Paladin, and several 50's. I like how big an open ended the game world is, and nothing beats a fun instance with your friends

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1034521802 said:
The first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer for the new expansion is how it was all gameplay footage, which is cool in it's own way I guess. But what always got me really excited were the classic Blizzard cinematics. Those things are awesome, and those are usually what get me excited.
Yeah I always thought the CGI cinematics were better. I played WoW for a long time as well (starting with closed beta) and I am "meh" about this expansion. It is just a mass recycle of content. They are taking bosses from the original WoW and putting them in fights again, Redoing the original WoW areas, and really dubbing the game down to make it further EZ mode.

The game engine is also getting really crusty. I played the Aion beta recently and that game looked MUCH better and I was getting a much better frame rate as well.

Oh and just wanting to point this out, WoW is not the #1 played MMO in the world.

I will not listen to the WoW Fanboi nation. I was in Alpha, Closed Beta, and played in Open beta. Not until 4 months ago did I decide to purchase the game. The game is fun for what it is, but you would have to be blind to not see what blizzard is doing...

They raise the level cap once a year to keep people paying and playing. I find this ridiculous....

Add content for the players to have instead of adding more grinding/questing so players can achieve a higher level just to use the added content.

This is why I am hoping Aion can pull through and have some big numbers to shut the fanboi nation up. As of right now Aion has over 3.5million subscribers in asia alone...

I give it 6 months before it breaks 7 million total, but that is huge, and should worry Blizzard to some degree.

When does Aion officially launch in America ? I might try it out then...does it have things like Auction Houses, Professions, Cool gear ?

It has an auction house, professions, and cool gear. Also they are adding Legion (Guild) and player housing to the game. The PvP By far trumps WoW's pvp.

Also, I am by far an Aion Fanboi, I just completed closed beta testing and it was AWESOME. I have previously been in:

LoTRO
WoW
DAoC
Auto Assault
Champions Online
Lineage 2
Aion
Warhammer

Closed Beta's. I love MMORPG's and I will continue on my quest to find the ultimate MMoRPG. After Dark Age of Camelot there has been nothing that caught my eye PvP wise, Aion has that glimmer that gives me hope that there will be a GOOD, active PvP oriented game.

EDIT:
The official American launch is on 9/21/09

It has an auction house, professions, and cool gear. Also they are adding Legion (Guild) and player housing to the game. The PvP By far trumps WoW's pvp.

Also, I am by far an Aion Fanboi, I just completed closed beta testing and it was AWESOME. I have previously been in:

LoTRO
WoW
DAoC
Auto Assault
Champions Online
Lineage 2
Aion
Warhammer

Closed Beta's. I love MMORPG's and I will continue on my quest to find the ultimate MMoRPG. After Dark Age of Camelot there has been nothing that caught my eye PvP wise, Aion has that glimmer that gives me hope that there will be a GOOD, active PvP oriented game.

EDIT:
The official American launch is on 9/21/09

That is almost exactly one year after the WAR launch last year. Real shame about that game, I had such high hopes WarHammer Online would be the "WoW" killer, not in subscribers obviously, but in a better game, oh well...Lets see if Aion can take that crown ?

Yeah I always thought the CGI cinematics were better. I played WoW for a long time as well (starting with closed beta) and I am "meh" about this expansion. It is just a mass recycle of content. They are taking bosses from the original WoW and putting them in fights again, Redoing the original WoW areas, and really dubbing the game down to make it further EZ mode.

What are you talking about? There's about 5 brand new zones to level from 80-85 and 2 starter zones for the new races. Well, Hyjal was actually there for a long time but was never an official zone. There's also like 4 or 5 raids planned and from the looks of it, at least 2 of them are large-scale (not 1-boss encounters). All this revamping is on top of the new content. The entire flow from 1-60 is being reworked.

I still think its a great game. It just doesn't have the old school wow feel to it. I think thats why they are taking it back to the old world instead of another new area. It reminds me of Final Fantasy where they had to really look back to their roots with FF9 because it was getting way off track. I just hope that blizzard can keep it on track.

I still think its a great game. It just doesn't have the old school wow feel to it. I think thats why they are taking it back to the old world instead of another new area. It reminds me of Final Fantasy where they had to really look back to their roots with FF9 because it was getting way off track. I just hope that blizzard can keep it on track.

I think that "magic" is never going to come back. The game is completely fleshed out now, and incredibly technical. That's where the focus will be, from now on IMO.

The only time I think Square brought back some old-school magic was in FFIV: The After Years for Wiiware. That one brings back memories.

I still think its a great game. It just doesn't have the old school wow feel to it. I think thats why they are taking it back to the old world instead of another new area.

I am afraid that WoW will lose that old school feel once they redo Azeroth ? It won't be so innocent anymore after the Cataclysm, the changes will freshen up the old world for sure, but will it still have that awesome feel I felt back in 2004 leveling up my Night Elf throughout Kalimdor ? Those early years from launch in November 2004 right up to TBC in early 2006 were the best year of WoW to me. I also thought Outlands was pretty cool too, well certain zones only. Hellfire + Zang are classic as is the last zone Shadowmoon. Don't understand all the Outlands hate. I love the Blood Elf race addition to the game, they should have had more Blood Elf specific quests and towns, and large cities, too bad Silvermoon is a ghost town, what a waste for a major faction city. Actually I think WoTLK is a much worse expansion compared to TBC. Too many winter zones and dark and depressing looking.

I will try one more character from Level 1 again once this expansion release, will be cool to have a Blood Elf Warrior. Or maybe try the Worgen Warrior ? I wonder which new race will get the better starter zone, and which faction will have the best leveling 1 - 60 through new Azeroth ?

The problem with wow is that it has reached the limit of its pve mechanic, and so I don't see any game surpassing it until they have a better pve mechanic. Because people might pick a game because of PVP, but they will stick around for the PVE. Any population imbalance, or low pop server, inevitably kills the PVP to a point it can't recover.

WAR had the potential to do that, but the PVP sucked in low pop or unbalanced servers (no one is going to stick around in a game where there's no one to fight), and the PVE was non-existent. With its collision detection, it could have brought something new to the PVE table, but it didn't.

The WoW killer will be the game that has a solid PVE that goes beyond the same old "threat" mechanic of wow. At this point, wow has reached its limit in terms of PVE encounters, and the only way to make things more difficult are more stringent gear checks.

The problem with wow is that it has reached the limit of its pve mechanic, and so I don't see any game surpassing it until they have a better pve mechanic. Because people might pick a game because of PVP, but they will stick around for the PVE. Any population imbalance, or low pop server, inevitably kills the PVP to a point it can't recover.

WAR had the potential to do that, but the PVP sucked in low pop or unbalanced servers (no one is going to stick around in a game where there's no one to fight), and the PVE was non-existent. With its collision detection, it could have brought something new to the PVE table, but it didn't.

The WoW killer will be the game that has a solid PVE that goes beyond the same old "threat" mechanic of wow. At this point, wow has reached its limit in terms of PVE encounters, and the only way to make things more difficult are more stringent gear checks.

wow hit the pve limit a long time ago, probably in sunwell. everything from lich king release onward has been dumbing down the pve experience so that 'everyone can be a hero'. now with cataclysm they are removing so many item stats from the ame, gearing up will be as difficult as stacking single stats with little regard for any thought. wow is no longer a game meant for gamers, its finding its best success being the special olympics of mmos and appealing to casuals and bad players.

wow hit the pve limit a long time ago, probably in sunwell. everything from lich king release onward has been dumbing down the pve experience so that 'everyone can be a hero'. now with cataclysm they are removing so many item stats from the ame, gearing up will be as difficult as stacking single stats with little regard for any thought. wow is no longer a game meant for gamers, its finding its best success being the special olympics of mmos and appealing to casuals and bad players.

the limit that I am talking about is not about difficulty, it is about game mechanics. There is only so much variation you can create with a threat mechanic. In fact, Sunwell is precisely what I said above about creating difficulty by strict gear requirements. None of the mechanics there were really new.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with the endless hardcore v casual debate. It is about the basic fight mechanics from instances to end game raids.

the limit that I am talking about is not about difficulty, it is about game mechanics. There is only so much variation you can create with a threat mechanic. In fact, Sunwell is precisely what I said above about creating difficulty by strict gear requirements. None of the mechanics there were really new.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with the endless hardcore v casual debate. It is about the basic fight mechanics from instances to end game raids.

only brutallus was a gear check in sunwell. success and fialure in the other 5 fights was completely dependent on coordination and player skills in reacting and not making mistakes.

wow did not invent threat and won't be the last game to use it. this feels like complaining that fps game will not adavnce because they still use guns for a mechanic.

Last edited:
Back