WoW; 5th expansion Warlords of Draenor

Picked it up today after hearing mostly good things. I quit towards the end of WotLK, and have been enjoying myself for the hour or 2 I've played so far. Still getting used to all the changes, but so far so good.

I think Blizzard went full retard this time with hidden treasures and rare mobs. There is way too many of them. The only solution is an addon like HandyNotes + Draenor Treasures plug-in.

But... finding all those treasures and killing all those rares will give you a nice boost in garrison resources / enchanting mats.

As someone who doesn't go around purposefully searching for rares to kill, but just kills them when they cross my path, I've been enjoying it. I wouldn't really call the rares all that rare though. Faction tagging (not sure what it's called, but it lets you count as though you tagged the mob if you damage it) has been awesome this expansion.

Going to give Gladiator Stance a shot tonight. It'll probably blow since I only have Fury/Arms gear, but I have a shit ton of gold, and the AH helps.

I think Blizzard went full retard this time with hidden treasures and rare mobs. There is way too many of them. The only solution is an addon like HandyNotes + Draenor Treasures plug-in.

There's a map vendor in Ashran that you can purchase treasure maps for each zone once you complete the main storyline for it. It marks your in-game map with every treasure in the zone. Using an addon is just cheating :p

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=88253

Lies. Seriously, when I get focused, I can blow through the quests quickly enough, but you'd have to had been online every available minute to go through the content that fast. When I talk about the sub zone quests, I'm referring to the little crossed swords on the map... there are almost a dozen in every zone, and they do take time as well.

Would it be more accurate to say that you burned out a bit in the rush to 100?

I did all the bonus areas, they weren't hard. I played a good 16 hours on Thursday, Friday I played even more until the 3 am saturday restart. saturday all day but i lost 2 hours getting a new tire. all day sunday.

Going to give Gladiator Stance a shot tonight. It'll probably blow since I only have Fury/Arms gear, but I have a shit ton of gold, and the AH helps.

That's one of the big things I like about WoW: making tons of fictitious money! Then spending it like it's nothing.

There's a map vendor in Ashran that you can purchase treasure maps for each zone once you complete the main storyline for it. It marks your in-game map with every treasure in the zone. Using an addon is just cheating :p

I did not know that. Anyway, I've collect most of it, only some hard to reach (via glider or rockets) are left, but they can wait. The only reason I collected them was the number of garrison resources. Just got all my buildings to level 2 this morning.

I've finally got some time to play and it looks like server queues have died down at prime time. I only got to 93 and finished off the Frost Fire Ridge story line. So I'm not far by any means but so far my feelings have been mixed

I thought the initial quest through the dark portal and after was kinda cool.

I'm mixed on Garrisons. Once up and running, the little quests and stuff are interesting but the initial time at lvl90 to get it up and running will be very tedious when I go to level my other characters. In-fact, so will the portal quest if there's not a way to skip it. It's interesting having your own base but for an MMO, I feel secluded from the rest of the people. Not to mention for being on a server with a queue time, I've hardly seen anyone.

Frost Fire Ridge feels very small and from the world map view the other zones look comparable. Factor in there's an entire zone still closed I have to wonder if I'll feel cheated once I see the rest of Draenor. I only played through the first 2-3 zones of panda land prior to this and they felt much bigger.

Overall the questing is great, very story driven and that's what lured me back this time around.

My big complaint though is everything is faceroll level difficulty. I don't have much gear since I played virtually no end game in panda land but I'm still roflpwning everything. Even if aggro ranges were comparable to past expansions, I wouldn't have to worry about pulling an entire group. I'd say its because I'm a druid but our damage isn't the OP part, its the self healing, which when questing I'm not even using.

I also am curious, are we in a past Draenor right around the time the original dark portal was going to open or are we in like an alternate but current reality of what draenor would have been if not for the orcs drinking the blood of mannoroth. Either way there are tons of plot holes and questions but I choose to ignore them. Otherwise I'd drive myself crazy with frustration.

It's interesting having your own base but for an MMO, I feel secluded from the rest of the people. Not to mention for being on a server with a queue time, I've hardly seen anyone.

This is my thought on the Garrisons as well. Pretty neat overall, however it is just something I could do in a single player game and it doesn't encourage me doing anything with other people.

I like the hub cities in WoW, I presume I will run into one in WoD? I just started playing last night.

I've finally got some time to play and it looks like server queues have died down at prime time. I only got to 93 and finished off the Frost Fire Ridge story line. So I'm not far by any means but so far my feelings have been mixed

I thought the initial quest through the dark portal and after was kinda cool.

I'm mixed on Garrisons. Once up and running, the little quests and stuff are interesting but the initial time at lvl90 to get it up and running will be very tedious when I go to level my other characters. In-fact, so will the portal quest if there's not a way to skip it. It's interesting having your own base but for an MMO, I feel secluded from the rest of the people. Not to mention for being on a server with a queue time, I've hardly seen anyone.

Frost Fire Ridge feels very small and from the world map view the other zones look comparable. Factor in there's an entire zone still closed I have to wonder if I'll feel cheated once I see the rest of Draenor. I only played through the first 2-3 zones of panda land prior to this and they felt much bigger.

Overall the questing is great, very story driven and that's what lured me back this time around.

My big complaint though is everything is faceroll level difficulty. I don't have much gear since I played virtually no end game in panda land but I'm still roflpwning everything. Even if aggro ranges were comparable to past expansions, I wouldn't have to worry about pulling an entire group. I'd say its because I'm a druid but our damage isn't the OP part, its the self healing, which when questing I'm not even using.

I also am curious, are we in a past Draenor right around the time the original dark portal was going to open or are we in like an alternate but current reality of what draenor would have been if not for the orcs drinking the blood of mannoroth. Either way there are tons of plot holes and questions but I choose to ignore them. Otherwise I'd drive myself crazy with frustration.

Don't worry later on you will run into mobs that are tougher. Things need to be tweaked a bit here and there tho. As an example my lvl97 affliction lock was able to solo level 101 rares in frostfire. Yet there are some level level 100 and 100+ mobs both rare and normal that I have to pay attention with. One rare took 4 of us to kill and another killed 3 of us. But yeah most of the leveling content is easy.

As for population I find myself alone or swamped with people. Did the daily for apex crystals yesterday evening and people were standing around hoping to get a tag in on the mobs before they died, started todays over lunch and didn't see anyone else. My hunter fresh to frostfire is hardly seeing anyone around.

I think once people get their garrisons up and running they will move back into the world and ashran will be the spot since it seems to have everything a major city does.

One thing, which I am finding really confusing, after coming back to WoW from a hiatus since BC was released ... is item stats.

The old BWL gear I have has stats which are nearly identical to the stats I have been finding on items dropped (I am level 85). Armour may be slightly higher and there may be a +1 stat difference but the real difference is the item level. The item level is much higher on the newer gear .... however the BWL gear still results in more base DPS.

Now my understanding, regarding the LFG finder thingy is that it groups up PUGs based on item level ... if this is the case the BWL gear is not going to cut it.

One thing, which I am finding really confusing, after coming back to WoW from a hiatus since BC was released ... is item stats.

The old BWL gear I have has stats which are nearly identical to the stats I have been finding on items dropped (I am level 85). Armour may be slightly higher and there may be a +1 stat difference but the real difference is the item level. The item level is much higher on the newer gear .... however the BWL gear still results in more base DPS.

Now my understanding, regarding the LFG finder thingy is that it groups up PUGs based on item level ... if this is the case the BWL gear is not going to cut it.
Using shoulders as an example, because Blackwing Lair's Tier 2 shoulders were amazing. Assuming you're a rogue:

Bloodfang Spaulders
17 Armor
+17 Agility
+13 Stamina
+8 Dodge (0.05% @ L100)
+7 Fire Resistance
Durability 100 / 100
Classes: Rogue
Requires Level 60

vs. random BoE world drop green level 84 shoulders:
Ravenholdt Shoulders of the Windflurry
24 Armor
+22 Agility
+32 Stamina
+14 Critical Strike
+14 Haste
Durability 70 / 70
Requires Level 84

You should be getting a LOT more damage out of the level 84 shoulders, and your health should go up significantly if outfitted in Cataclysm greens. Blues or purples? "Fagidaboutit"

I was finally able to get online last night for a few hours and hit 91 on my Hunter, as well as starting my Garrison. Thus far, I'm happy with the new content. My only complaint is random disconnects and the large number of cinematic scenes drops my FPS to about 30.

Looking forward to this keeping me busy for quite some time. I have not had the time for marathon WoW sessions in a long damn time.

Yes, there may be a small stat difference because of the stat squish, but what matters is your level * stats vs level of your target.
Level 60 player would do much much less damage against lvl 63 boss comparing to level 100 player wearing the same gear. (actually I wanna test that).

Wow. 5 WHOLE days? I've got a mildly bad taste in my mouth still, but this helps alleviate it somewhat I suppose.

Wow. 5 WHOLE days? I've got a mildly bad taste in my mouth still, but this helps alleviate it somewhat I suppose.

ummm has the game even been out for 5 days yet? I havent had any issues the past few days which means theyre compensating for more than the time lost, bitter much?

ummm has the game even been out for 5 days yet? I havent had any issues the past few days which means theyre compensating for more than the time lost, bitter much?

People feel entitled to more than they deserve. On some of my downtime at work I was seeing wow forum posts demanding a free 30 days or the expansion for free. Was Blizzard at fault for their botched launch? Yup. Are people entitled to compensation for losses? Eh, idk I guess. Anything greater than what they realistically lost out on in game time? F no.

That 5 days works out great for me, I didn't even touch the expansion until yesterday. I avoided all the frustration :)

So I still haven't got to play yet.. they still haven't chare my card back. So I was like screw it I'll buy it again. Well now it's a 1-3 day processing for them to charge my new purchase. . FML

Blizzard used to give out free days all the time in vanilla.

Botched maintenance? World server down? Can't log in? Free day for everyone!

Well then. Because you haven't had any issues at all, that must mean the game's had a rock solid launch, and everything's been perfect. Take a look at the past few years worth of issues, on top of what's happened for this expansion lunch YET AGAIN, then maybe we'll get somewhere.

I don't feel entitled at all, I couldn't care less if they gave me one day, or 10 days. The money's not the issue, It's the fact that they refuse to listen to people at all times. But what do we care, we'll keep playing it because we like it. I was more so being sarcastic and mostly a prick with my comment, but hey, frustration is normal (for me anyway).

While I was frustrated with the launch. Blizzard did manage to fix the login issues and queues fairly quick. It was my understanding that Blizzards launch was complicated by a distributed DDos attack originating in China. Additionally, I could have sworn that Blizzard gave 5? days playtime for the problems.

sure .. launch issues were a pita.. but really.. got solved pretty quickly. I will say I dont buy the ddos story though.
got 100 yesterday. lacking resources to get my garrison to teir 3 yet though. I think I wasted too many resources keeping my follower army busy all the time. going to chill on that and look for resource rewarding missions. for this reason got one alt to garrison level, and finishing getting a second alt to that too. I believe they will continue to gather resources, so if I leave em be for a week after they start, that should help.

will take some time to craft some tailored stuff... hexweave cloth isnt fast to create. grr. I should have logged in during coffee this am, to just start more work orders. couldnt get the silver level on dps with the green gear I have yet, so, working that too. Im told the pvp gear is decent 600+ for even pve, so may camp bg's for a bit and replace some greens that way.

I think they have made a effort to slow the game down some with WoD, and I like it.

So it's not a good idea to keep your followers busy on those missions all the time? I've been sending them out non-stop D: Could explain why I only have 40 garrison resources...

Currently 96 on my Shaman but I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. The last expansion I played was WotLK for about a month at launch. Debating whether or not to level my mage instead just so I have access to a billion portals - sitting around for zeppelins or boats is zzzzzzz especially with so many new zones.

The 2k to upgrade to level three kinda sucked. I had around a 1000 at the time I got the quest. Did a few missions for resources and then the last 600 or so I got impatient so installed handynotes. Puts little icons on your map for where all the resources, rares and fun things are.

i dont know what you guys are experiencing but zones are still going down and random DC's for everyone still.

DK Frost :cool: :D

I've been a Blood tank Death Knight since Cat, and just got burned out on Tanking for two expansions, so I wanted to try a DPS character again.

And Frost DK's kick some major butt it seems, and very simple easy rotation. I am only Level 91, but I seem to wipe out enemies questing with ease. Even large mobs are a breeze, and when my health goes down, I use Death Strike every now on then, and stay alive.

How are Frost DK's for end game in WoD ?

DK Frost :cool: :D

I've been a Blood tank Death Knight since Cat, and just got burned out on Tanking for two expansions, so I wanted to try a DPS character again.

And Frost DK's kick some major butt it seems, and very simple easy rotation. I am only Level 91, but I seem to wipe out enemies questing with ease. Even large mobs are a breeze, and when my health goes down, I use Death Strike every now on then, and stay alive.

How are Frost DK's for end game in WoD ?

Decent but could use buffs. UH is also now extremely viable so I may swap my alt DK from frost to UH. Can finally use a badass 2H instead of trying to farm 2x 1H. Especially with the new random stat rolls on weapons :mad:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/19/7250737/world-of-warcraft-warlords-draenor-10-million-subscribers

WoW subscribers went from 6.8 million to 10 million with the release of Warlords of Draenor. By contrast the Kung Fu Panda expansion saw subscriber numbers go from 9.1 million to 10 million. 3.2 million in sales within the first 24 hours is pretty darn brisk!

That sorta explains why there has been so many technical issues at launch. Look at how high the spike is basically overnight. The hardware doesnt come cheap, overestimating can be costly too. You have to use previous trends for any guess. If you estimated the uptick relative to MOP release (900k ~10% the largest uptick from any expansion) and use numbers near the end of MoP and even DOUBLE the uptick (20% up from 7.4million is still only 8.9 million) you're still short over a million of what you need to be. Even TRIPLING estimates relative to the MOP release still misses needs of Warlords numbers by almost half a million.

Might have to fire this up again my brother has been raving about this expansion. Have not played since BWL was in style. Anyone here play on old school Nerzhul?

Love the sound of Ashran, like an open rvr style zone. I only ever played wow a little during burning crusade but I very well may try it again due to that, and the rest of what it offers. Sure it'll be a rough climb to try to catch up at all though.

Anyone know how much I'd be in for to buy the expansion(s) needed to go from a BC-played account (with WOTLK active) to get to a fully-enabled account with Warlords of Draenor, and what I'd need to buy? :)

Back