WoW; 5th expansion Warlords of Draenor

I returned at cata when I quit 2-3 months into TBC and only played for 2 months. Then played MoP for like 2 months. WoW gets boring real quick I doubt Ill ever resub at this point.

Haven't played since fall last year after killing the final (lightning?) boss in that island instance. Gee memory is failing me but this thread has suddenly reminded me I'm still paying Blizz every month. Just placed my preorder for the CE for WoD but not even sure I'll have time to play..

That's pretty much twitch in a nutshell, neckbeard dudebros galore.

Or big tits small brain Paypal wells. Can't not even begin to tell you how many girls now are on Twitch , regardless of whatever interest they have in gaming , just sit with their tits (big and small) in prime view of the camera wearing a low cut shirt and a push up bra. The sad part is that even if they are totally obscure they get money. They hang around long enough they get quite a bit of money. If they can withstand the torrent of insults and act "bubbly" the whole time they can make it an actual living. Saw one girl get partnered by Twitch within 3 weeks of starting their stream... the much better streams take months to get partnered.

There are gems though there (Dansgaming for example). But when Twitch is good its really fun to watch.

They need to quit making excuses. Character model upgrades were need back at Cata. World upgrades in textures is needed now. And from what I read, with them still making a Billion dollars a year on this game, they don't have the resources to get the Blood Elf models upgraded in time for WoD. Guys, that's disgusting and a slap in the face to WoW players period. The trees in WoW need upgraded badly. I know what the art direction is, but Papercraft Trees 10 years later look really bad. Like they did for water with the DX11 option, its time to give high end systems a real Ultra setting for background textures and little things like Tessellation in the streets of Stormwind City.

I loved the graphics the first 5-6 years, but really its time. Its time to quit soaking profits and dump money into giving WoW a facelift, not just upgraded characters and not just expansions. Because now the characters are going to look out of place in this Papercraft environment.

Blizzard's problem is project planning and management, no staffing levels or testing time. They are deep into the area where a team become inefficient because it is too large. Look how long it takes them to create content compared to other teams that are much smaller with way less subscribers, and they still push out stuff packed with bugs...

They need to quit making excuses. Character model upgrades were need back at Cata. World upgrades in textures is needed now. And from what I read, with them still making a Billion dollars a year on this game, they don't have the resources to get the Blood Elf models upgraded in time for WoD. Guys, that's disgusting and a slap in the face to WoW players period. The trees in WoW need upgraded badly. I know what the art direction is, but Papercraft Trees 10 years later look really bad. Like they did for water with the DX11 option, its time to give high end systems a real Ultra setting for background textures and little things like Tessellation in the streets of Stormwind City.

I loved the graphics the first 5-6 years, but really its time. Its time to quit soaking profits and dump money into giving WoW a facelift, not just upgraded characters and not just expansions. Because now the characters are going to look out of place in this Papercraft environment.

100% agree :)

I started playing at launch in November 2004 and LOVED the game the first few years, playing 5 or 6 nights a week, up to Wrath.

And then the lag between Wrath and Cat was sort of bad, and for the first time ever I unsubbed for a few months until Cat came out. And then the time between end of Cat and MoP was like 10 months of NOTHING new at all, I unsubbed at that time. And now with MoP and NOTHING new from September last year, until this November, will be 14 months of ZERO new stuff, I unsubbed yet again this Spring, out of pure boredom, of nothing new.

And yes the graphics blow chunks lately, WoW almost looks like it was from the Quake 3 era of graphics, buildings and mountain textures are so outdated it's sad. And character model revisions should have been in Cat like they originally said, or at least for sure ready by MoP launch. Now with WoD taking so long, they still can't get every character model completed on time :rolleyes:

Why pay $15/month and only get 1 years worth of expansion content, and then 10 months to 14 months of NOTHING, while waiting for the next expansion :rolleyes:

Speaking of graphics, it's a little thing, but it really irks me that they won't update the Moonkin graphic to the level of the cat/bear that they did way back in WotLK. Blowing off little details like that lessen the experience in my opinion.

Anyone still playing Wow? I recently resubbed to find my level 70 tauren shaman naked on some rp-pvp server. Leveled him through MoP solo, and am in need of a guild. Is there a H group or H members playing still? Are you in a healthy guild interested in taking on one more for the upcoming expansion?

lemme know!

The real rub is i am on the PVP portion of the epic cloak quest with no friends on the server :(

Anyone still playing Wow? I recently resubbed to find my level 70 tauren shaman naked on some rp-pvp server. Leveled him through MoP solo, and am in need of a guild. Is there a H group or H members playing still? Are you in a healthy guild interested in taking on one more for the upcoming expansion?

lemme know!

The real rub is i am on the PVP portion of the epic cloak quest with no friends on the server :(

queue for the bgs it has only taken at most 4 attempts each one to get a win, and I am on alliance side.

I'm struggling on the celestial stage right at the end, seems like everyone's already done it. I camped the zone about 8 hours and only got 2 boss kills.

I'm struggling on the celestial stage right at the end, seems like everyone's already done it. I camped the zone about 8 hours and only got 2 boss kills.

Hit "O", select raids, queue up for celestials. It'll take you an hour, tops.

lemme know!

You're SOL man. There's no way you'll complete it by the expansion.

Is there even a point into working hard for the cape anyway? It's not like it'll be useful beyond a piece of leveling gear at best in the next expansion, unless you're just trying to get it for the sake of having it.

I really didn't like the legendary cape...it turned into a requirement for many people to want to bring you to a raid that you could go to and do well perfectly fine without it. It's like an extension of ilvl to many players. To be fair it isn't hard to get, just a grind, but I got back into MoP over the summer and got to raiding around August. Even around that time it felt like I was too late.

It shows your dedication level to the game. That being said, I got mine tonight, and I'm thrilled. It's my first Legendary, and I've been playing since Vanilla.

I got the rogue legendaries it was my crowning achievement in wow no doubt, it was a pain in the ass soloing the bosses throughout the questline but man those daggers were badass back in the day!!!!

Last edited:
Hit "O", select raids, queue up for celestials. It'll take you an hour, tops.

Yep, if you want Celestials, log on Tuesday evening, hit O, Other Raids, check celestials and hit List my name. You'll get invite in list 10 seconds flat.

And/Or install oQueue addon.

You can get on Tuesday, the weekend, and Monday is also a decent time since people who missed it will be wanting to do it before the weekly loot drop resets, though I'm not sure about different server populations. That's just how it was on mine!

Yep, if you want Celestials, log on Tuesday evening, hit O, Other Raids, check celestials and hit List my name. You'll get invite in list 10 seconds flat.

And/Or install oQueue addon.

Thanks, I didn't realize anyone actually used this. Was able to get it done in about half an hour.

Also list is Greg Street "Ghostcrawler" who hasn't been with the game for over a year now. Just being listed in the credits doesn't mean he had any significant role in the design of the game.

I am looking forward to this expansion. Just started playing again for the first time in 18 months. Still hate PvP but this expac looks nice. I hope that garrisons will let you collect resources like ores and the likes.

I have enjoyed playing the beta. Leveling does not seem as grindy as past expansions. I went from 90 to 100 in about 12 hours of questing with a few zones left to go, getting experience from dungeons seemed a quite a bit slower though. I have dabbled with garrisons a bit and you can collect a limited amount of ore and such while not having the profession, but it is not a whole lot. It also seems like you can sink a lot of time in them if you are not careful

I have enjoyed playing the beta. Leveling does not seem as grindy as past expansions. I went from 90 to 100 in about 12 hours of questing with a few zones left to go, getting experience from dungeons seemed a quite a bit slower though. I have dabbled with garrisons a bit and you can collect a limited amount of ore and such while not having the profession, but it is not a whole lot. It also seems like you can sink a lot of time in them if you are not careful

I wouldn't base your leveling speed on anything encountered during the beta. They want you to experience the content or test a focused area. If I recall, previous betas had similar accelerated leveling rates, which were then doubled or tripled on release. The fact that you had several zones left reinforces this.

Regardless, with the new quest design and garrisons serving as a distraction, I wouldn't be surprised that it doesn't feel as grindy on release, even if it does take longer.

After 4 expansions of increasing complexity in the game, they are simplying in it by removing a lot of abilities (back to facerolling yo) and even some of the past innovation (reforge.) My guess is that this is so that they can have a road map to re-introduce these innovation back into the game for subsequent expansions...

When MoP came out it was great for the first year. There were so many raids being releases one after another that I didn't understand. Then the last raid was released September 2013. This was defeated by the top guilds within 1-2 months. So for the past years everyone was doing this raid... I took a few months break during this, otherwise I'm not sure if I could do it over and over for more than a year while waiting for the new expansion.

Blizzard definitely needs to get a grip on their release cadence. Everyone bitched about having to do Dragon Soul (which I hated) for a year at the end of Cata and what do they turn right around and do.... yep, another year-long raid tier in MoP :(

Glad they are getting rid of reforging though. It got to the point where I couldn't even realistically switch between Arcane, Fire and Frost as a Mage without going broke on stat reforging and re-gemming. And there really was no sane way to figure out exactly where to allocate the stats (optimally....) without resorting to askmrrobot, etc. You really should be able to enjoy the game without fretting over stupid shit like that so kudos to the devs for that change, among others.

Came back a few weeks ago when I saw the announcement about the warlock green fire quest going away. Never got around to it before. Was a fun quest, wish they could offer something like it for all classes.

It would be nice for a lot of people if they had a better schedule. Doesn't bug me much. I get tired unsub and play something else, always have a backlog of games.

Looking forward to the new stuff....and old! I love that they are taking us back to MC.

I've said it for years - they really, really need to simplify the understanding of stats. Every major encounter in the game is based on "optimal" gemming/reforging/understanding of stats etc.. and its insane. For instance as a Tank one needed Defense to be to a certain cap at which point raid bosses can't crit/crushing blow against you. This is not taught anywhere in game, what the number is for a given class, the importance of said number etc... yet it is "expected". Likewise, Haste and Expertise caps for DPS etc... Even "more basic" stats like Attack Powers and Critical Strike require spreadsheets per class to undestand what is better.

It has come to the point that lots of players who aren't hardcore enthusiasts just see "number soup" whenever they go to upgrade their gear - and this is even before reforging/gemming/enchanting is taken into account. Unless you have several UI mods (ie Pawn etc..) that were made by the "Spreadsheet Type" its hard to even decide what is better to pick up when you're leveling. Its never a clean and simple choice. Maybe something has more STR but less Attack Power for instance. Hell, its never clearly described that certain talent specs mean focusing more on certain stats than others and which those may be. For instance a Paladin sees plate gear that seems paladin focus dropped with Intelligence on it; is it better for them as Ret? Maybe so, maybe no.

Most stats are class and talent based derivatives of the Core stats and seem to be there for no reason but to give more impressive sets of numbers around and the illusion of choice, when in truth there is always a "right" way the game expects you to do things. Thus, simplification is the best way to go about it. Provide proper tutorials in game for stats and make it easy for players to understand at a glance if Item X is better than Item Y for a given spec etc... it doesn't need to be a confusing mess thanks to "stat complexity creep".

Long time players may just think "this is the way things have always been done", having to look up Elitist Jerks or some calculator on MrRobot, use mods, or otherwise learn from players who already did these things... but I've seen many players who are "casual", who would like to raid, like to run more dungeons, PVP etc... yet are put off because they just see a mass of complexity to gearing for these tasks...so they don't do them! Some will say "but they need to work harder and get informed", but I'll object to that statement as this is meta-knowledge that is only gleaned outside the game world itself; not taught properly in the game in any sort of tutorial, despite encounters being balanced for perfection.

Remember how years ago the Talent Trees allowed you to put points into all three of them? There was no place to tell you that it was "wrong" to do so, yet if you tried to balance your character into all 3 of them, you were completely ineffectual! Blizzard finally understood they had to take away the tree structure entirely...which was the right hting to do, but they forgot the other two facets of the game - teaching, and balancing. Simplicity is great, but even when things are simplified a game should have in-game methods to learn how to play properly, Since Cata, they've been doing better in this regard and maybe WoD will be a major step forward. Finally, now with better tutorials and simplification players will have a better understanding of what is expected of them, but throughout WoW history Blizz has balanced the game on "optimal" play, to the point that "average" play especially when it came to gearing, was out of the question. Yes, it may be too easy for an "optimal cookie cutter" type in the minds of some if they make "put points all throughout the talent tree" builds viable, but there has to be some middle ground.

Needless complexity is not the same as "difficulty or skill", its simply obtuse. Likewise, players should be able to have a good idea what is expected of them in game to succeed and learn the skills and methods to go about doing so, without opaque judgements and out-of-game requirement. It seems like WoD is finally doing something in this regard and I'm eager to see the result.

Edit: Green Fire going away? That doesn't make sense, unless they're replacing it with another. Honestly, I find it unfortunate that they'd remove the Legendary quest line either etc... but I thought only the Legendary and Brawler's Guild would be going away, along with a handful of high end Medal Run rewards from Pandaria.

Came back a few weeks ago when I saw the announcement about the warlock green fire quest going away. Never got around to it before. Was a fun quest, wish they could offer something like it for all classes.

It would be nice for a lot of people if they had a better schedule. Doesn't bug me much. I get tired unsub and play something else, always have a backlog of games.

Looking forward to the new stuff....and old! I love that they are taking us back to MC.

They are just taking away the feat of strength and title you get for the quest when 6.0 hits.

I've said it for years - they really, really need to simplify the understanding of stats. Every major encounter in the game is based on "optimal" gemming/reforging/understanding of stats etc.. and its insane. For instance as a Tank one needed Defense to be to a certain cap at which point raid bosses can't crit/crushing blow against you. This is not taught anywhere in game, what the number is for a given class, the importance of said number etc... yet it is "expected". Likewise, Haste and Expertise caps for DPS etc... Even "more basic" stats like Attack Powers and Critical Strike require spreadsheets per class to undestand what is better.

It has come to the point that lots of players who aren't hardcore enthusiasts just see "number soup" whenever they go to upgrade their gear - and this is even before reforging/gemming/enchanting is taken into account. Unless you have several UI mods (ie Pawn etc..) that were made by the "Spreadsheet Type" its hard to even decide what is better to pick up when you're leveling. Its never a clean and simple choice. Maybe something has more STR but less Attack Power for instance. Hell, its never clearly described that certain talent specs mean focusing more on certain stats than others and which those may be. For instance a Paladin sees plate gear that seems paladin focus dropped with Intelligence on it; is it better for them as Ret? Maybe so, maybe no.

Most stats are class and talent based derivatives of the Core stats and seem to be there for no reason but to give more impressive sets of numbers around and the illusion of choice, when in truth there is always a "right" way the game expects you to do things. Thus, simplification is the best way to go about it. Provide proper tutorials in game for stats and make it easy for players to understand at a glance if Item X is better than Item Y for a given spec etc... it doesn't need to be a confusing mess thanks to "stat complexity creep".

Long time players may just think "this is the way things have always been done", having to look up Elitist Jerks or some calculator on MrRobot, use mods, or otherwise learn from players who already did these things... but I've seen many players who are "casual", who would like to raid, like to run more dungeons, PVP etc... yet are put off because they just see a mass of complexity to gearing for these tasks...so they don't do them! Some will say "but they need to work harder and get informed", but I'll object to that statement as this is meta-knowledge that is only gleaned outside the game world itself; not taught properly in the game in any sort of tutorial, despite encounters being balanced for perfection.

Remember how years ago the Talent Trees allowed you to put points into all three of them? There was no place to tell you that it was "wrong" to do so, yet if you tried to balance your character into all 3 of them, you were completely ineffectual! Blizzard finally understood they had to take away the tree structure entirely...which was the right hting to do, but they forgot the other two facets of the game - teaching, and balancing. Simplicity is great, but even when things are simplified a game should have in-game methods to learn how to play properly, Since Cata, they've been doing better in this regard and maybe WoD will be a major step forward. Finally, now with better tutorials and simplification players will have a better understanding of what is expected of them, but throughout WoW history Blizz has balanced the game on "optimal" play, to the point that "average" play especially when it came to gearing, was out of the question. Yes, it may be too easy for an "optimal cookie cutter" type in the minds of some if they make "put points all throughout the talent tree" builds viable, but there has to be some middle ground.

Needless complexity is not the same as "difficulty or skill", its simply obtuse. Likewise, players should be able to have a good idea what is expected of them in game to succeed and learn the skills and methods to go about doing so, without opaque judgements and out-of-game requirement. It seems like WoD is finally doing something in this regard and I'm eager to see the result.

Edit: Green Fire going away? That doesn't make sense, unless they're replacing it with another. Honestly, I find it unfortunate that they'd remove the Legendary quest line either etc... but I thought only the Legendary and Brawler's Guild would be going away, along with a handful of high end Medal Run rewards from Pandaria.

Quoted for Extreme Truthery.

I've been on both sides of the fence, the EJ-type back when life was a lot simpler and I could devote 12 hours a day to farming / levelling alts / raiding, and now I just want to log in for an hour or two a week and do something interesting, which may or may not involve raiding. Good that one no longer needs to spend hours outside the game learning how the game works to be effective in the game.

To my knowledge Green Fire isn't going away, but they are giving an achievement and title to those that completed it pre-6.0.

Quoted for Extreme Truthery.

I've been on both sides of the fence, the EJ-type back when life was a lot simpler and I could devote 12 hours a day to farming / levelling alts / raiding, and now I just want to log in for an hour or two a week and do something interesting, which may or may not involve raiding. Good that one no longer needs to spend hours outside the game learning how the game works to be effective in the game.

I might be an aberration, but I miss the customisability some of the really old spec trees had. Atleast in pvp. In TBC they got a bit cookie cutter, especially for some classes, but pre-tbc warlock had a lot of flexibility and I had a lot of fun back in the day messing around with talent points.

I agree with the number soup thing, especially when it came to reforging. I'm really glad reforging is gone, as well as hit; getting a new piece of gear then having to get some addon to get you as close to the base hit cap (not going over too far) and reforging/gemming your gear was a pain. Not only that but you had to gem, enchant, and reforge depending on the piece. Simplification will be good for the game.

The only issue I have is with their ability purge. I think the ability pruning is a great thing but I think they're targetting a lot of the wrong abilities. I'll use warlock as an example as that's my primary class. Mages kept getting more roots and freezes so melee needed more mobility to get to their target, now warriors have a 12 second charge plus heroic leap and intervene and they've taken away casting while moving. Warlocks will never be able to kite effectively at all. They also left in burst of speed, as well as a 30 second berserker rage while making psychic scream a talent AND nerfing it to 45 second cooldown. The disarmament doesn't quite seem equal to me but I guess we'll see how it plays out, so far in the WoD beta melee have been too strong.

Back