WoW; 4th expansion Mists of Pandaria

You sound butthurt that you never got it, it wasn't even that hard to get if you shared accounts, and guess what, you could have a job too!

I don't think your reading comprehension is where it needs to be...nowhere does it seem like I'm butthurt. If that's what you got from what I said, I'm sorry, but no. Just no.

There's a lot of things I wanted to do back when I played, but nowhere on that list of tasks did it say "Get Rank 14 in PvP". Just wasn't something that I thought was worth doing, I'd have rather done a good amount of both, to the point where it didn't get ridiculously monotonous. A little change isn't bad.

Trust me you didn't think that at the time. Sure they might have been job less. Hell a lot them wrote memoirs like crack addicts, but when you were in AV with a High Warlord that guy was totally badass. Especially if he had both weapons.

Except that my little MC/BWL geared mage would win every time. Rank 1 frostbolt kiting = win :D

I should mention that with the exception of a couple priests, the only other GM/HWL players I ever saw in BGs or dueled were warriors & rogues, though I think there was a ret paladin also...

Except that my little MC/BWL geared mage would win every time. Rank 1 frostbolt kiting = win :D

I should mention that with the exception of a couple priests, the only other GM/HWL players I ever saw in BGs or dueled were warriors & rogues, though I think there was a ret paladin also...

the one from our guild was a Hunter.
The guy was a machine. I considered myself pretty good but he mopped the floor with me :p

I don't think your reading comprehension is where it needs to be...nowhere does it seem like I'm butthurt. If that's what you got from what I said, I'm sorry, but no. Just no.

There's a lot of things I wanted to do back when I played, but nowhere on that list of tasks did it say "Get Rank 14 in PvP". Just wasn't something that I thought was worth doing, I'd have rather done a good amount of both, to the point where it didn't get ridiculously monotonous. A little change isn't bad.

You list all your "credentials", "top of the line guild", "gladiator in bc" blah blah and then try to talk shit about those who got r14 as jobless bums - that's butthurt.

You list all your "credentials", "top of the line guild", "gladiator in bc" blah blah and then try to talk shit about those who got r14 as jobless bums - that's butthurt.

I agree with you. I mean when he mentioned top of the line guild I am thinking top 100. We had TG and Aurora on Arthas. TG is still around. Aurora disbanded.

I think Aurora got as high as like in the 70s. TG was always around the top 50 or 100. But that was back then. Anyways those people had to invest a significant amount of time into the game just to be in those guilds.

I agree with you. I mean when he mentioned top of the line guild I am thinking top 100. We had TG and Aurora on Arthas. TG is still around. Aurora disbanded.

I think Aurora got as high as like in the 70s. TG was always around the top 50 or 100. But that was back then. Anyways those people had to invest a significant amount of time into the game just to be in those guilds.

Nurfed on Blackrock was definitely top 100 (US at least), disbanded quite a while ago, unless a few happen to still be around. Gladiator was easy shit, and we were well known for having several gladiators. Vanilla raiding took the grinding up a wall, I won't lie, but the monotony of HAVING to play constantly to keep a rank in battlegrounds? Please.

It was definitely a unique guild...we had 30'ish people on at all time (After TBC here), and we only raided a few hours over the course of 2 days, yet still had server firsts all year long. The best part? It felt like a picnic, no one felt burdened or anything along those lines. I'll admit to my mistake of saying Vanilla wasn't time consuming earlier (or at least implying it), I'll catch myself in my own bullshit every once in a while (hell, even more often). There was grinding, and a lot of it. But what infuriates me is the fact that not only did Rank 14 require so much time (what DOESN'T require time in WoW though?), but an unbelievable amount of time, being borderline ridiculous. Yet people still did it...I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Nurfed on Blackrock was definitely top 100 (US at least), disbanded quite a while ago, unless a few happen to still be around. Gladiator was easy shit, and we were well known for having several gladiators. Vanilla raiding took the grinding up a wall, I won't lie, but the monotony of HAVING to play constantly to keep a rank in battlegrounds? Please.

Watching Indalamar's warrior video from beta was pretty epic and was actually the reason I first made a warrior at release, an Undead Warrior at that. Nurfed did have a good reputation for a while so that's cool if you were actually a core member, but I know alot of guilds would invite a bunch of people who didn't really contribute to the guilds reputation.

As far as having to play constantly, you only had to do that to acheive the ranks themselves, once you got to a rank and got your items or whatever you had them for life. The only annoying part was that the amount of time you had to play was relative to what everyone else on your server was playing. Many people in my dedicated PVP group were sharing accounts to get to rank 14. I mean it's whatever but most of us worked. We also had an addon that told us how much honor we had and we would purposefully calculate it out to let the "next person in line" get rank 14. I personally didn't share my account or bot and only made it to rank 12 before stopping. Yeah it was tons of grinding, but the title and rewards were awesome at the time.

Looking back I kinda wish I would have shared my account for the last two ranks, but I didn't want to get banned and also wanted to do it all myself. That was my choice though and r12 + Spinal Reaper was still enough to bash face so I was happy.

i remember doing warsong gulches against a warrior who had thunderfury...

Watching Indalamar's warrior video from beta was pretty epic and was actually the reason I first made a warrior at release, an Undead Warrior at that. Nurfed did have a good reputation for a while so that's cool if you were actually a core member, but I know alot of guilds would invite a bunch of people who didn't really contribute to the guilds reputation.

As far as having to play constantly, you only had to do that to acheive the ranks themselves, once you got to a rank and got your items or whatever you had them for life. The only annoying part was that the amount of time you had to play was relative to what everyone else on your server was playing. Many people in my dedicated PVP group were sharing accounts to get to rank 14. I mean it's whatever but most of us worked. We also had an addon that told us how much honor we had and we would purposefully calculate it out to let the "next person in line" get rank 14. I personally didn't share my account or bot and only made it to rank 12 before stopping. Yeah it was tons of grinding, but the title and rewards were awesome at the time.

Looking back I kinda wish I would have shared my account for the last two ranks, but I didn't want to get banned and also wanted to do it all myself. That was my choice though and r12 + Spinal Reaper was still enough to bash face so I was happy.

I hear you, and I apologize if I made myself out to be some kind of dick. I just lash out when I don't understand things...I'm working on it (seriously). I was never a big fan of sharing accounts, but I did since I was a priest, and when I couldn't be on we used my guy to buff the raid. It's nice to be able to trust people from across the world with your shit, that's another +1 to the guild. It was very unique and it made you feel at home. I like to speak highly of it, since it was the first big community I ever joined, and I was around since Beta with them, plus we were highly respected for our short raid times and ability to get shit done in that short time (2 raid days a week). We only carried the amount of people we needed, +1 or 2 to warm the bench.

I'm still not agreeing here, rather laughing. I was in a TOP of the line guild since Vanilla (hell, Beta) and I can't count how many times we laughed at people that put in a lot of effort and time into doing shit in this game. We raided maybe 2-3 times a week and cleared content, got solid ranks (10) and later on in BC got Gladiator ranks for several seasons in a row. There's no point in playing 15 hours a day to get the rank and gear that THAT specific shit required. Nobody thought THAT guy was a badass, unless you were, yourself (not saying YOU exactly), job-less and really had nothing else to aspire to.

All in all, I miss Vanilla. A lot...ignoring the PvP aspect of course, because it sucked dick.

Well hold on man. I was a guild leader of a top 5 guild. It took ALOT of time and effort to stay on the top spots for even a few months. What is your definition of top? Top 10? 20? Top on your server? You did not remain top end by raiding 2-3 days a week in Vanilla.

The PvP crap. I thought was laughable. We had a guy that played damn near 24 hours a day it seemed to get his title. He was a maniac. He quit WoW like a month after. Burned to cinders.

Well hold on man. I was a guild leader of a top 5 guild. It took ALOT of time and effort to stay on the top spots for even a few months. What is your definition of top? Top 10? 20? Top on your server? You did not remain top end by raiding 2-3 days a week in Vanilla.

The PvP crap. I thought was laughable. We had a guy that played damn near 24 hours a day it seemed to get his title. He was a maniac. He quit WoW like a month after. Burned to cinders.

See the last post I had, I wasn't being very clear. :cool:

The PvP comment you made, lmao. A maniac, that's a good way to describe the 24 hour/day people.

rejoin the game after 1.5 year absence, pretty fun so far

as to people declaring Vanilla WoW as the best.. may i ask why?

here's what i remembered playing vanilla wow:
1. Gold was UNpossible to farm, (i didnt get my 100% mount till BC)
2. Gimmicky raid fights - requiring certain amount of tanks or healers to succeed... or certain class are absolutely useless in some fights. Which created a false sense of extreme difficulty
3. Classes pigeon hole into certain roles - Druid wanted to DPS? yea right lol
4. PVP was stupid dumb - without resilience classes with high burst damage are OP
5. Attunement grinds (well this existed in BC but it was finally removed later on)
6. 40 man raids? No thanks
7. Only 1 Tank was available
8. Doing a 5man instance took literally HOURS to complete.
9. Grinding stupid reps (rep tabards didnt exist)
10. Grinding for pvp ranks - no skill.. just grind grind grind
11. Farm Farm Farm.. did i mention Farm? farm those resist gear, farm rep, JUST FARM.

Vanilla wow was EPIC and AWESOME back in the day... but that was in 2004.. i would never want to go back to that ever again.

Just had the exact same experience you did. All those things made me think WoW was a drug addiction back in the day. Of course, I had the time to blow to do that at the time. Now, though, the game is much more compatible with life. I can enjoy the story and play at my own pace and still actually see all the content.

Just had the exact same experience you did. All those things made me think WoW was a drug addiction back in the day. Of course, I had the time to blow to do that at the time. Now, though, the game is much more compatible with life. I can enjoy the story and play at my own pace and still actually see all the content.

It's almost as if it grew with us, the ones who started playing a good amount, and now, we can't devote as much time to it.

Vanilla was an actual MMO back then, not a disposable McMMO fest it became over the last 3 expansions. It's just a pick up and throw away game now, it used to be a hobby.

I was a rank 14 rogue in Vanilla. The majority of the people grinding rank were pretty cool guys, obviously we all had a lot of spare time (I was in college doing a liberal arts major which I could basically do the work for in a couple of hours each week) but people weren't always complete losers or idiots.

However not everyone was good at the game. Some of the rank 14s were people who literally were awful but could play the game 20 hours a day. Myself and a couple of friends only had to play 10 hours a day or so, we would just get in groups and run WSG all day. I was averaging about 600,000-700,000 honor per week from rank 13->14 and I would get anywhere from 70k-120k a day. One day I got over 200,000 honor when a friend played my account while I went to work.

It was possible. You just needed to know where to farm. (I chose EPL vs those pally type guys in the south-east corner. Plus, lots of excellent world pvp to be had there, so farming wasn't boring (all the time)
2. Gimmicky raid fights - requiring certain amount of tanks or healers to succeed... or certain class are absolutely useless in some fights. Which created a false sense of extreme difficulty
I didn't raid much until BWL, and that place, while i guess you could call the fights gimmicky, was absolutely badass. Fights #1 and #2 were excellent, having to have hunters kits mobs and shit to handle all the adds, and the second having to have the tanks juggle agro in a rotation. Nef was just a cool fight.
druids still didn't dps in cata and wotlk because their healing was too op to pass up, especially in arena. If they can do it all, i liked how they were a little less good at each roll
4. PVP was stupid dumb - without resilience classes with high burst damage are OP
Personally, i think resil ruined PVP. Gone were the days of putting your raid gear to use. Also, pvp became a grind PAST vanilla, with the stuipd ass honor grind. 70k honor for an item. Cool.
5. Attunement grinds (well this existed in BC but it was finally removed later on)
I did these once or twice, what's the big deal having to do a quest to get into the epic instances?
Eh, i don't care either way. Still, when i did my first Onyxia raid, the amount of ranged on the target was just badass.
7. Only 1 Tank was availableyou mean Warrior? yea they coulda made pally/druid better and it wouldn't have mattered
10. Grinding for pvp ranks - no skill.. just grind grind grindthe grind became worse after vanilla lol What's this about skill ?
11. Farm Farm Farm.. did i mention Farm? farm those resist gear, farm rep, JUST FARM.
all of wow is essentially farming, is it not? Except now people just farm heroic badges or some shit. I much preferred my world pvp outside LBRS/UBRS, etc.

Don't forget the little things.
Mailboxes
Guild perks
Dual specs
Flying
Reforging
Guild bank
Removal of physical reagents needed for little things
60 min buffs vs 10 minute buffs
Mass buffing. Buffing one at a time SUCKED
Fast mount at 40
Slow mount at 20
No more ammo for hunters
Warlock sumonning stones
Dungeon finder (no more spamming general chat for group)
Mass rez
Paladins and shamans on both sides
Bg queue anywhere
No more walking to instances. Remember getting to sm as alliance? This shits exactly what I'm talking about.

What's funny to me is that a lot of these i view as cons.

Dual Specs was cool, as was increased buff duration... but everything else you list on that is kinda lame, especially pallys and shamans on both sides. No more walking to instances means no more world pvp, the best thing in the game to do, imo.

Ahh, and it's worth saying again: where did the epic quests go? It was already lame that hunters and priests were the only ones to get them, but they should have done more shit like this. Hunter epic quest was the most fun and rewarding experience i ever had i think...

Last edited:
I did these once or twice, what's the big deal having to do a quest to get into the epic instances?

Most of the attunements required you to do a raid or something of that sort, that made it all the more epic.

Most of the attunements required you to do a raid or something of that sort, that made it all the more epic.

you had to do lbrs 10man and back then it wasn't a walk in the park.
I remember having to kite the last boss into the beast room while the group killed the adds, feign death and hope that it didn't resist (it always did, bastard)

You know, I didn't hate WoW back then, it was awesome, it was hard and you had to actually put some effort to get your reward.
BUT
I was 21 at the time and single, my life consisted in getting wasted on weekend, going to school and playing WoW.

If I did that today I'd probably have to sell my house, my girlfriend would break up with me and my boss would most likely fire me !
All in all, I'm glad it's more casual, I enjoyed WoTLK and Cata without having to put hours and hours into the game.

You know, I didn't hate WoW back then, it was awesome, it was hard and you had to actually put some effort to get your reward.
BUT
I was 21 at the time and single, my life consisted in getting wasted on weekend, going to school and playing WoW.

If I did that today I'd probably have to sell my house, my girlfriend would break up with me and my boss would most likely fire me !
All in all, I'm glad it's more casual, I enjoyed WoTLK and Cata without having to put hours and hours into the game.
I so agree. hey, Im 50. I'm married, have a career etc. And the "glory days" nostalgia is silly for me. And any grinding this and grinding that of vanilla.. was WIMPY compared to the grinds of old EQ1! that shit was hard core grind!

but today.. I enjoy wow.. it helps I finally have some real life friends to play with as well. Im just about to ding 90... Ive enjoyed questing and instancing in Panderia

I have lots of fun with WoW. Been playing on and off since beta.

I usually play for a few months, experience the story and then quit till the expansions come out. Never raided but i find I really enjoy going through the raids solo that I can do with my hunter. Must have been epic doing the raids back in the day.

here's what i remembered playing vanilla wow:
Nope , you were just bad at it or were lazy. Blizzard was counting on people to use there professions and the AH. Instead they realized how many of you there were that didn't care to "earn" your gold and wanted things like dailies to hand it to you for easy quests.
2. Gimmicky raid fights - requiring certain amount of tanks or healers to succeed... or certain class are absolutely useless in some fights. Which created a false sense of extreme difficulty.
Gimmicky? Wow (no pun intended) I'm not even sure how to point out how wrong you are. If you didn't bring a little of everything then you just didn't understand raid make up. Sure some classes were absolutely required but if you were a smart raid leader you knew it was important to bring a bit of everything.
Only Priests and Warriors had defined roles so to a degree I agree with you here. But the game had just launched and it was being tweaked on a daily basis. So weak argument point there.
PVP required you to understand your class outside of the questing/dungeon/raiding role and all of them had burst damage , perhaps some more than others but again PVP in WoW has influenced just about every modern day MMO so they must have eventually done SOMETHING right.
Just about every MMO I've ever played had Attunement requirements , holding this against WoW is like holding "lag" against WoW when there are many other factors involved. There are barely any Attunements required now (I believe one now) so this is a non-issue.
I ran 40 man raids and it was very difficult except I also ran 70-80 man raids in EQ and without voice chat so WoW raiding was HUGELY easier than that. Blizzard was learning how to stack the raiding system and those 40 man raids are some of the most memorable parts of WoW in its 8 year history (MC , BWL and original Naxx) so your knock against it is really more a personal gripe than an actual disfunction.
7. Only 1 Tank was available
And that was all changed in BC then changed again in Wotlk and now its changed again in MoP. Again Blizzard was learning and some now (actually more than some) think that warriors are still the ultimate tank , they are and always will be the best at it. Frankly if I was raiding now I would still prefer one.
So your talking about BRS or UBRS , big deal. Now it takes like 20-30 minutes or less to rawr through a 5 man which most of them are forgettable and lame. I think your complaint is the exact reverse. The fact that it took time and had all kinds of cool events made it even better. Nothing has come close to beating UBRS.
I agree with you here. It sucked , bottom line. Blizzard has fixed it though , but of course you didn't stick around for that really.
10. Grinding for pvp ranks - no skill.. just grind grind grind
Is that a joke? PVP back in Vanilla WoW took real skill. There was not set place for it before BG's and when BG's came about there was the high PVP ranks that took ACTUAL skill and TONS of hard work to gain. Grand Marshal was not a title bestowed upon idiots who paid a better quality player to beef up there rank (hello 2200+ arena ratings on horrible players) and you had to fight for it each month since only a limited number of people could actually get the rank and often had to worry about others earning more honor and killing more to screw them out of the title that period. If you see a Grand Marshal in the game , you should fucking bow to them because that is someone who worked there ass off for months to get it. A TRUE WoW achievement if there ever was one. Your lack of respect on this gripe is really insulting. You may have not liked how WoW PVP was back then but calling pvp ranks no skill? Bullshit sir.

Vanilla wow was EPIC and AWESOME back in the day... but that was in 2004.. i would never want to go back to that ever again.

I think it the best time to play the game and compared to other MMO's it was fucking revolutionary. Every MMO I've played since then has copied features from WoW (of course this is common place among all gaming but the influence of WoW is huge) and has 10's of millions of fans even if you don't play anymore. I think your gripes are mostly fodder , all games have issues but Vanilla WoW was one of the great transitional periods in MMO gaming and will be fondly remembered for that reason alone. Its fine if you don't like what it has become but that's all I have to say on that.

I think it the best time to play the game and compared to other MMO's it was fucking revolutionary. Every MMO I've played since then has copied features from WoW (of course this is common place among all gaming but the influence of WoW is huge) and has 10's of millions of fans even if you don't play anymore. I think your gripes are mostly fodder , all games have issues but Vanilla WoW was one of the great transitional periods in MMO gaming and will be fondly remembered for that reason alone. Its fine if you don't like what it has become but that's all I have to say on that.

I think it is a good time to play, ESPECIALLY for people that haven't touched it since it's conception. You have 4 expansions PLUS a main game to play, that's a shit ton of content. Now for returning veterans...a lot has changed, some for the worse, some for the better. But what do people expect...it's an entirely different thing though if you've just grown tired of the game itself.

Also what the fuck is with the giant orange font? Was that necessary?

Agreed and I thought he came off the wrong way, but who cares.

Also I don't know about BOWING down to the people who got Rank 14 in WoW. Really? Bowing? :confused:

Why don't we just bow to my turds, because they're the biggest turds in Boston due to my fiber intake. :rolleyes:

you had to do lbrs 10man and back then it wasn't a walk in the park.
I remember having to kite the last boss into the beast room while the group killed the adds, feign death and hope that it didn't resist (it always did, bastard)

That was UBRS :D

And that type of stuff was freaking great. We had a couple people that could kite the boss into the Beast room without messing it up 100% of the time, they were very in demand!

Even though it is years later, I remember a lot of WoW because it took a lot of effort. I liked that fact that my various guild(s) succeeded because we put time and effort into progressing through the content and finding good players. The first time we killed Ragnaros, the guild leader was crying on Vent, hehehe...

Also there was some serious drama back then because gear was scarce and people would wait on a piece of loot for months only to have someone else get it instead :eek: We had and "out of combat resurrection" Paladin that showed up to EVERY raid even though his only task on the game was to not get involved in combat and then ninja- resurrect people who died on bosses (a critical skill for Molten Core progress!). He had a crap ton of raid gear and people would complain all the time about "He doesn't even do anything!!!" :p

Last edited:
Also I don't know about BOWING down to the people who got Rank 14 in WoW. Really? Bowing? :confused:

Why don't we just bow to my turds, because they're the biggest turds in Boston due to my fiber intake. :rolleyes:

I think that was a slight exaggerating, but I think further in his sentence he makes a good point.

If you think about some of the hardest achievements in gaming no one is going to care about a Barbie Beach Adventure achievement.

For the people who played WoW back then which was still quite a bit of people something like High Warlord etc was pretty respectable.

MAD props son!!! I think I'll have to up my fiber intake as well... no doubt i'm missing out on the epicness of massive turds!

TWe had and "out of combat resurrection" Paladin that showed up to EVERY raid even though his only task on the game was to not get involved in combat and then ninja- resurrect people who died on bosses (a critical skill for Molten Core progress!). He had a crap ton of raid gear and people would complain all the time about "He doesn't even do anything!!!" :p

Hah! I'd forgotten all about this! We had one as well =P

Vanilla was by far the best and there really isn't any rational argument against that. They've dumbed the game down and turned into a completely-transparent treadmill in both PvP and PvE.

Sorry but people who got Grand Marshal during vanilla WoW earned it , I helped a few friends achieve that rating (never had the stomach for months of honor grinding) and watched 1 of them have it stolen away because they didn't play for 2 days and got behind on honor. You obviously don't give a shit about the earning required in that rank so that is that.

Whatever people earn in WoW now can be easily sold to them as well , other than high ranking guilds , we can often see people who get caught "buying" rating or gear from top tier guilds or players. I think that kind of shit ruins the best part of a game , the challenge. I'd like to see how many Grand Marshal's "bought" that rating , I would bet that it is a small percentage.

The font/color was to capture your attention and others , it obviously worked.

Last edited:
There was a Tauren Warrior on Illidan in Vanilla who was farmed by Chinese to rank 14. It took them for-fucking-ever to get it because they were awful at the game, even when he was decked out in rank 13 armor he was a joke to kill (and I was a rogue).

Lets see...

1. Bad and lazy? yea... Because farming EPL was soooo fun. When BC came out, blizzard MANY options to make gold, doing dailies (shattered sun offensive etc.) If i wanted to make gold doing JC (my prof) sure thing! i made 200k prospecting and selling the cut gems.

2. Raid fights in WOTLK and BC were 100x better than vanilla wow. Players are held accountable - MOVE OUT OF FIRE, CLICK ON YOUR TEAR DROP (my favorite fight), Raids fights in WOTLK and BC were much more memorable and this is my opinion but im sure the 9 million ppl that STILL play this game would agree with me.

3. Classes were still pigeon hole till BC came out. When you're expected to come to raid with ONE spec and that spec only.. not sure how's that a weak argument? /shrug

4. PVP improved in later expansion (BC, WOTLK), was there still class imbalance? yes ofc. Resilience was introduce to combat burst damage, Arena became more about skill (yes class comp came into play a lot as well)

5. Attunements was a unnecessary road block for guilds. It shouldn't be about "are you attuned to raid with us?" Not everyone wants to re-run instances or old raids to attune someone. People quit or take breaks all the time, its such a unnecessary hassle to keep attuning new guildies.

6. This is purely my opinion.

7. Blizzard philosophy was that all classes capable of tanking are viable. I dont know about you, but i rather have 4 tanks to choose from than 1. Whether you think 1 tank is the best, the end goal is you have MORE tanks available.

8. This is purely my opinion.

9. Not sure what you mean when you said "you didnt stick around" /shrug

10. and LOL@vanilla wow pvp took skill. I'm no gladiator but it doesn't take one to know to get glad - it took a combination of skill, flavor of month, and class composition. Spending hours grinding BG's does not mean you're skilled. Making something extremely difficult to get doesn't equate to skill.

We had and "out of combat resurrection" Paladin that showed up to EVERY raid even though his only task on the game was to not get involved in combat...

This was my job. Surprisingly, it was more fun than spamming cleanse or maintaining the pitifully short 5 minute buffs. /nostalgia

Lets see...

1. Bad and lazy? yea... Because farming EPL was soooo fun. When BC came out, blizzard MANY options to make gold, doing dailies (shattered sun offensive etc.) If i wanted to make gold doing JC (my prof) sure thing! i made 200k prospecting and selling the cut gems.

It was more than just farming EPL , you could use your professions to make high level gear for a small fee and you could also do a few hours of farming for basic materials and do some the harder stuff when you had time. It was completely and entirely possible to make money just fine in WoW but it wasn't handed to you the way it is now. You obviously prefer an easier method and that's fine but to dismiss the possibility that you simply couldn't , I completely disagree with you on that point.

2. Raid fights in WOTLK and BC were 100x better than vanilla wow. Players are held accountable - MOVE OUT OF FIRE, CLICK ON YOUR TEAR DROP (my favorite fight), Raids fights in WOTLK and BC were much more memorable and this is my opinion but im sure the 9 million ppl that STILL play this game would agree with me.

This is your personal opinion. I raided old Vanilla and loved it , it was challenging with more people no question but the problem was getting 40 people to be online 3-4 days a week for 4+ hours of raiding (and that's being generous) but the content was great. I love killing Rag for the first time and downing Nef. It felt entirely epic and amazing and considering Blizzard actually brought back both of those raids in Cata I would say that the fan base (most of it) felt the same. Old world raids were fun , challenging and truly classic. TBC was great too but Wotlk raiding was a joke , it wasn't challenging in comparison and after Wotlk things just went downhill raiding wise and lots of big raiding guilds completely quit the game.

3. Classes were still pigeon hole till BC came out. When you're expected to come to raid with ONE spec and that spec only.. not sure how's that a weak argument? /shrug

Its a weak argument because it was just how the game was. Dual specs took care of it once they came out but you are talking about a mechanic of many MMO's of the time when WoW was Vanilla, not many of that generation of MMO allowed you to pick out dual specs and switch in between whenever you felt like it. Class balancing and using that as a weakness against WoW in general is just pointless , all MMO's have problems with class balancing period.

4. PVP improved in later expansion (BC, WOTLK), was there still class imbalance? yes ofc. Resilience was introduce to combat burst damage, Arena became more about skill (yes class comp came into play a lot as well)

Resilience ruined PVP and required a new set of gear to be achieved. I figured you would , of all the people here , be bitching about how requiring different sets of gear and MORE FARMING (which you made the point to state that Vanilla WoW was a farm fest). Arena's are a mess and most of the competitive community around them have left because of PVP balancing issues and how Resilience has continually changed over time (patch 5.0 has again changed the nature of PVP stat requirements and the Monk class healer can pretty much dominate with any make up in Arena's during the beta). PVP has improved only in the form of BG's and rated BG's , otherwise Arena's and Resilience requirements and new gear sets have only made it more of a hassle to pvp.

5. Attunements was a unnecessary road block for guilds. It shouldn't be about "are you attuned to raid with us?" Not everyone wants to re-run instances or old raids to attune someone. People quit or take breaks all the time, its such a unnecessary hassle to keep attuning new guildies.

Attunements were a small issue in WoW , you did your attunement and it was a one time deal. It is not that big of a deal honestly and they are gone now anyway (minus one). If you were in a decent raiding guild you didn't even worry about it because you had plenty of help to do it. If you wanted to pug your way through it then I could understand the gripe. But as a whole this was really a small issue compared to other problems in WoW during that time.

6. This is purely my opinion.

7. Blizzard philosophy was that all classes capable of tanking are viable. I dont know about you, but i rather have 4 tanks to choose from than 1. Whether you think 1 tank is the best, the end goal is you have MORE tanks available.

People bitched about having only 1 viable option and Blizzard gave you 3 more options over time. Roles in Vanilla WoW were more defined and people understood that. If you ran a 40 man raiding guild you always had about 2-3 warrior tanks who were geared for whatever you needed. Those that didn't need to tank put on DPS gear and came regardless. The make up of the 40 man raid in Vanilla WoW was more based on your raid leaders personal opinion and the gradual changes Blizzard made to classes over time and how there damage output/utility came into play.

8. This is purely my opinion.

9. Not sure what you mean when you said "you didnt stick around" /shrug

I was under the impression you quit during Vanilla WoW , if that is incorrect than pay no mind.

10. and LOL@vanilla wow pvp took skill. I'm no gladiator but it doesn't take one to know to get glad - it took a combination of skill, flavor of month, and class composition. Spending hours grinding BG's does not mean you're skilled. Making something extremely difficult to get doesn't equate to skill.

Right , did you ever grind to Grand Marshal/High Warlord? If it was so mindless and no skill required please show me your rank 14? You are entitled to think what you want but if you sucked at PVP unless you paid someone to get you rank 14 it was not easy , it was weeks/months of grinding and if you fell behind on gaining honor you lost out on the title during that ranking period. There should be hundreds of thousands if not millions of rank 14 players running around WoW if it required no "skill" at all since the player base is mostly casual and therefore bad.

Its obvious my Vanilla WoW experience was somewhat different than yours and likely better based on your impressions of it. I enjoyed the challenges and the early growing pains of WoW. But is it really a better game now? Well fare epics , achievements that truly don't mean shit and people just buy whatever they can't seem to get through services of better players/guilds. Vanilla WoW was and will remain the best time for WoW , it was complicated and lacked balanced and it sure had its problems but some of the fondest memories were during those early years before TBC.

I think I've stated my position enough and I'm not going to convince you of anything so I'll just get back to discussing PoM from now on.

I loved Vanilla but there was some things that were just plain bad about it. Warriors, even though we were basically the only tanks, still had VERY few tools to work with. Here is what we didn't have in Vanilla:

-There was no Heroic Throw. You used 'Shoot' to pull things.
-You couldn't charge while in defensive stance.
-Taunt had a 5 yard range or thereabouts.
-You couldn't actually mark targets for the longest time, that feature came only after AQ40 was released. People did MC/BWL/ZG and all the 5 mans without ever marking anything. It was basically "You polymorph the left mob, I'll shackle right, tank will grab center"
-AoE aggro was basically non-existant, you had to tab + sunder all the mobs one at a time if you wanted aggro on everything
-You had no clue how much aggro you actually had on things until months later when threat meters started to come out. Even after they came out they were clunky and didn't work properly half the time.
-Shield Wall was a 30 minute cooldown.
-Many bosses were immune to taunt but still required tank swaps. Like Vaelastrasz in BWL.

Looking back it was a giant pain in the ass but you got used to it over time and so did party members. Once you were able to charge in defensive stance and "heroic throw" and such a few expansions later did I realize how much better tanking is now.

Last edited:
I loved Vanilla but there was some things that were just plain bad about it. Warriors, even though we were basically the only tanks, still had VERY few tools to work with. Here is what we didn't have in Vanilla:

-There was no Heroic Throw. You used 'Shoot' to pull things.
-You couldn't charge while in defensive stance.
-Taunt had a 5 yard range or thereabouts.
-AoE aggro was basically non-existant, you had to tab + sunder all the mobs one at a time if you wanted aggro on everything
-You had no clue how much aggro you actually had on things until months later when threat meters started to come out.
-Shield Wall was a 30 minute cooldown.

Looking back it was a giant pain in the ass but you got used to it over time and so did party members. Once you were able to charge in defensive stance and "heroic throw" and such a few expansions later did I realize how much better tanking is now.

Did you stack 5 Sunder Armors on this post? That is sure to hold everyone's attention.

Back