Would this setup be better than my current laptop?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
My laptop is about 4 years old and has a Intel i7 10750h CPU (6 core 12 thread at a max of 4.8ghz), 16gb of 2933mhz DDR4, Nvidia RTX2060 w/ 6gb dedicated memory. I am wanting to upgrade to a desktop. I have a pretty tight budget at the moment. I am currently using a 27" 1080p 144hz 1ms display. I would like to play AAA games at 1080p high settings or better. Currently the only game I have to play at lower settings is Starfield which I can play at medium settings and get about 45fps average. Lately my Laptop has been running pretty hot and thermal throttling most of the time and nothing I have done has helped it out.

What I am thinking of getting:
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 ($98)
B550 Mini ITX Motherboard ($100)
500 watt non modular PSU ($40)
Thermal Take Tower 100 Mini ITX Case ($100)
16gb DDR4 PC3200 Ram ($35)
Intel Arc 750 GPU ($190)
My current 2tb NVME SSD ($0)

I am looking at about $600 for everything on Amazon, I modified the stuff used in ETA Prime's Video that he says can do 1440p high settings in most AAA games. I am splurging a little the case and getting a cheaper CPU balanced out by a more expensive Mini ITX MB.

[edit] I ran some of the same benchmarks (3D Mark) as ETA Prime did in his video and the results say a lot. The results are almost 30% to 100% of an improvement.

Last edited:
Bad idea. I would not buy a new AM4 desktop build at this point, especially since that Ryzen 5 5500 is just a lesser-performing Zen 3 APU (the Ryzen 5 5500G, in this case) with its integrated GPU permanently disabled, and that all Zen 3 APUs have only half the amount of L3 cache than their non-APU counterparts.

Couple that with a budget GPU, and you’d have a system that’s not much better than a sideways-grade from your current laptop while consuming significantly more power than your laptop.

The only single thing I would change would be that CPU. I’d stretch the budget out a little more if possible or save longer. You’d be happier in the end. Also I’d go for a GPU with some more… stability. Don’t base your Gpu choice purely on price. Intel gpu’s aren’t ready for mainstream. They cause headaches and are more for tinkering. If you want reliability and affordability consider a AMD card that will not break the bank.

Bad idea. I would not buy a new AM4 desktop build at this point, especially since that Ryzen 5 5500 is just a lesser-performing Zen 3 APU (the Ryzen 5 5500G, in this case) with its integrated GPU permanently disabled, and that all Zen 3 APUs have only half the amount of L3 cache than their non-APU counterparts.

Couple that with a budget GPU, and you’d have a system that’s not much better than a sideways-grade from your current laptop while consuming significantly more power than your laptop.
I agree in that this is not the best possible solution, but It is about all I can do on this budget. I am on a fixed income of not much and I am really limited as to what I can do. Even if it is a side grade at best at least I can upgrade it a part at a time unlike the laptop.
The only single thing I would change would be that CPU. I’d stretch the budget out a little more if possible or save longer. You’d be happier in the end. Also I’d go for a GPU with some more… stability. Don’t base your Gpu choice purely on price. Intel gpu’s aren’t ready for mainstream. They cause headaches and are more for tinkering. If you want reliability and affordability consider a AMD card that will not break the bank.
I just want to get up and going for a cheap as possible. That is why I went with the 5500. Please remember this is not the final specs I am hoping for. At a later date I will upgrade just about everything.
I also agree with you on the GPU, Intel GPUs need to mature a little more to be considered as reliable. I can't afford at this time to get a RTX 4060, what AMD card would you suggest with a budget of $250 at most? I have not followed AMD Video cards as of late and don't know what is available?

Also I am going to get a better CPU Cooler, a twin tower dual 120mm fan cooler, there only about $30ish and I think would be worth splurging on.

[edit] How about this XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 CORE Gaming Graphics Card for $229 or should I go with a 7600 version for $269 That is absolutly pushing my budget to the max right now.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back