• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Worth it to replace E8400 with Quad?

It's a hard decision. If I could get something priced like the Q8400/Q9400 but with a higher multiplier, I would probably do it in a heartbeat.

But looking at having a OC only in the 3.5Ghz range at best, and that's if my mainboard and RAM can handle running like that day in and day out, it sort of makes me wonder if I should just stick with what I have. More realistically, I would say I would be at around 3.3Ghz with a Q8400/Q9400.

Of course.. get the Quad now and skip out on the i5/i7 generation all together if the Q8400/Q9400 can handle the job... I do plan on a HD5850 this summer so will the two upgrades be a good pair for BC2 now and BF3 when it comes out.. it's all speculation on BF3.
 
I went to an e8400 @ 4ghz (never tried to get it past that) to a Q9550. Someone on here bought me it from MC and I paid them $205 shipped to me. I can't remember who did it, but really thankful they did that for me.


Anyways, my Q9550 is at 3.8ghz and I love it. It only cost me about $80+- for the upgrade after selling the e8400. Even at stock speeds the Q9550 handles fine.
 
I upgraded from an e8600 at 4.6 to a q9650 that does 4.25... the voltage required to maintain this speed on the quad is like 25% more than on the dual... I've been thinking of dropping my dual back in for the summer.
 
I'm in the same boat. Almost pulled the trigger on a Q9550, but the intelligent choice is to just go i7 920/930.

Except the nearest Microcenter is 5-6 hours away. :(
 
What did you end up doing? I'm kinda in the same boat. Might just try OC'ing my current CPU (sure is a good time to do that on air cooling with summer rolling around :p).
 
What did you end up doing? I'm kinda in the same boat. Might just try OC'ing my current CPU (sure is a good time to do that on air cooling with summer rolling around :p).

Depends on what you use your computer for. If you do any video encoding or editing go quad. Just for some gaming your overclocked dual should be fine.
 
I did the E8400 to a Q9550 upgrade, thanks to MicroCenter as well. I don't notice much of a difference in regular usage, but Handbrake encodes go MUCH faster. It is exactly as expected, though, so I can't complain. Now I just need to sell the E8400.
 
In for the sub.
I'm thinking in this direction, but an OC'ed quad might push the limits of my current PSU.
 
I'll be swapping my E8400 @ 4Ghz w/ the Q9550 I got from the Tigerdirect deal earlier this week. The only reason...BC2. Anyone else do this...dual to quad for BC2 and notice a hefty perf improvement? FWIW, I'm running a GTX 260 216 w/ 4GB of RAM.

Also, I've seen mention a couple times on the net and now in this thread of GPU usage not maxing on dual cores. Could this be compounding the problem? I'm going to go check now...
 
Back
Top