Worst nightmare....

lt_wentoncha

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

Ok, I'm going nuts, literally off the walls here. I got this about a month and a half ago:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8355497&st=H31000U&type=product&id=1177112455081

I got it to get the drive, and I never opened it until now as I'm starting my build now, and when I looked at the HDD I noticed it had no label. Strange, I thought, then when I looked at the S/N sticker (you know, the remove and you lose your warranty one) and it looked bubbled.

Then it dawned on me...

SWITCHEROO!

I don't know what to do. Try to exchange it at BB? Try to get warranty service? I'm so f*cking pissed right now, I shell out my money to get this, and some stupid cheap sonofabitch did this. He was so meticulous, I didn't even notice anything was amiss on the labels. This week has just been a very bad week for me, I mean, nothing is going right, and now this! FYI I got this at Westminster, CA BB. Damn Vietnamese people! I'm so ashamed of my race (I know it was a Vietnamese person, because we're dishonest and shady and the Fry's in Fountain Valley always has this problem).

I don't know what to do, I can't really sleep right now, I can't even focus on my build. I'm moving in seven days and I can't freaking focus on this build so I can get it out of my mind and stop worrying about this.

Mods, sorry, but when you're out $300 smackers...I don't know, sorry, just sorry.

Damnit, I can't stop thinking about this! Sorry everyone, this is just helping me calm down. It's freaking 1:36 in the morning and I'm just in freaking shock...

I missed the return date by 4 days. 4 damn days. Damnit, why didn't I check this earlier? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ok, I've decided what to do: the truth.

I'm going to BB tomorrow, and explain the simple fact that I bought this a little over 34 days ago, couldn't use it until I finished my build (true) and popped it open to find out why (fake switched HDD).

Wait I'm a bit confused, so you're saying that the 1TB drive in that MyBook was fake? That it's just a DUD?

And man, don't assume that Viets were behind this. Other races are just as shady as we are. :)

Anyway don't forget that to show them (BB) the receipt. I'm sure they'll be reasonable-ish.

Wait I'm a bit confused, so you're saying that the 1TB drive in that MyBook was fake? That it's just a DUD?

And man, don't assume that Viets were behind this. Other races are just as shady as we are. :)

Anyway don't forget that to show them (BB) the receipt. I'm sure they'll be reasonable-ish.
It wasn't a dud, someone had meticulously replaced the 1TB drive that's supposed to be in there with something else. I'll take a picture when I can. It's 3:43am and I still can't sleep, I'm still fuming!

Yes yes, apologies on my part. But I have a sneaking suspicion it was one of our own...but I digress, I just hope BB is cool about this.

As usual, I'm confused. You bought a 1TB, 7,200RPM, 32MB cache external drive. If you didn't get that, you have a bitch. For all I know, they could be putting refurb drives in those cases. Go get a Hitachi drive tool, and see what you have. Opening the case probably voided any warranty, and BB ain't gonna like it either.
Good Luck!

The drive won't power because it isn't even a SATA drive. The enclosure can be opened leaving the S/N label in tact. Removing the HDD from the enclosure after it's opened requires the voiding of the warranty sticker.

The Bad Drive (it's not even connected to the enclosure)
badja3.jpg

The Good Drive (one of two drives I got that actually delivered!)
gooddriveut6.jpg

The jacked up S/N
snsv6.jpg

Well, here's to it working it later when I go to BB.

The drive won't power because it isn't even a SATA drive.
SATA or not, if it doesn't work, it's no good. Let's hope BB understands your situation.

Good Luck!

dude that sucks, people are greedy, makes me wonder how many times they did that, bb should work with you, if they don't start stinking the place up, had a problem with dumbass squad, sent our laptop in to get the fan replaced because it died, what do they do reformat the drive and did the factory reset on it, my wife was fuming, luckly that day a regional manager was in the store, we were reimbursed are whole warrenty back :p

Back