World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

actually they are hard as hell to hit with things above T7 and you overpen like a mofo on it while it just rains down HE on you distracting you while his buddy lines up a perfect broadside shot.. seen people doing it a bit more lately, it's friggin annoying.

yup i love the nurnberg, the ships a beast even in T6 though it's more balanced there then the konnigsberg is in T5 which is op as hell in that tier.

I have to say, Herme the Luv Cruiser is my favorite ship in the game :)

Walk softly and carry a big, um, stick LOL

The Orlan is very close. If you like kill satisfaction, these are your ships. On a good game I've killed 7 out of 12 ships with it.

Riddle me this, Batman...

I'm in a fully loaded Hatsahuru. All invisibility options, all upgrades, everything.

Other guy is in a Bensen. I have no idea his configuration, of course.

We are in the middle of a cap zone. No rocks, no nothing in the way.

I have no idea he's there.

I am at full speed, no rudder.

No planes around. No detection signals.

He pops up out of no where at 1.1k and blows me to smitherines. I did get to torp salvo's off, but I was so rushed I had to shoot from the hip and I under led.

How the hell does that happen? He had to have seen me for some time before hand to have killed me off that quick.

No, not really. He knew you were in that smoke probably from just general situational awareness, saw your ass sitting, and blew you up.

No, not really. He knew you were in that smoke probably from just general situational awareness, saw your ass sitting, and blew you up.

There was no smoke. Clear skies.

No smoke, no rocks, no mountains, no nothing.

I wish I had it on tape.

How do you record, anyway?

BTW... they didn't advertise it this time, but it IS a 2x Weekend.

Thanks for everyone who stopped by! I'll be going at it again for a few more hours later tonight and hopefully I can have remotely interesting/decent matches. I haven't had one good game in a full week now. Just rough as hell.

I think I'm giving up on ranked @ 4. It's simply a grind at this point, and not really enjoyable. I lose a turret, rudder or engine with every other hit I take. I think the last straw was this last game, they have 3 (1 BB, 2 cruiser), we have 2. All 3 are in sight and 10+ km away. I'm undetected, lay a smoke field, come to a stop in it, start firing and what do you know, I'm detected. I'm not sure why other dd's can fire from smoke with impunity, but I bounce in and out of detection all the time in it. Right damn in the middle of it. It's just stupid.

I know other kievs have made it higher, but they are probably A) better players, and B) maybe have higher skilled commanders. Last stand is essential at this point because of the accuracy of everyone else, and without AFT I don't have the range to fight effectively.

I got my Close Quarters Expert award and the appropriate flags for it, but it does not show as obtained in my achievements. Am I missing something ?

2BO7gcA.png

z8t5Muq.png

It was fun as hell teaming up with you, Dave! That Tier 5 madness was awesome :D

The first stream today was pretty terrible with an 8-8 result but the second stream was solid:
E1UcaDe.jpg

0i1UJoG.jpg

qKfjzsn.jpg

The results may not look like much but there was some kick ass teamwork in these matches. Thanks again, Dave, we'll definitely have to team up again!

Watching my nephew and brother play this, it looks so pay to win. I can't believe they want to charge $69 for what is essentially a 3d exterior model of a ship they had to pay no licensing fees for. And I don't get how it can be fun or challenging, when your enemy has a giant red icon floating above them. To each is own I guess, they love it.

Watching my nephew and brother play this, it looks so pay to win. I can't believe they want to charge $69 for what is essentially a 3d exterior model of a ship they had to pay no licensing fees for. And I don't get how it can be fun or challenging, when your enemy has a giant red icon floating above them. To each is own I guess, they love it.

Well it might not be for everyone, but it absolutely is fun & challenging and addicting as hell. And it's not pay2win, it's pay to advance a bit more quickly if you want. There is plenty of fun to be had without spending a dime.

Premium ships aren't better than comparable tier ships, they're for crew training and earning credits faster. The game is determined by tactics, you need to anticipate enemy movements and react accordingly, just being able to see an enemy does not mean you can hit them.

It was fun as hell teaming up with you, Dave! That Tier 5 madness was awesome :D

The first stream today was pretty terrible with an 8-8 result but the second stream was solid:

The results may not look like much but there was some kick ass teamwork in these matches. Thanks again, Dave, we'll definitely have to team up again!

Yeah that was a good time. Playing almost nothing but ranked for a couple weeks, I was more cautious than I should be, gotta get used to playing random again. That last match in the murmansk, I landed just over 100 hits, and didn't take 1. Little too far away from the action..lol.

E1UcaDe.jpg

0i1UJoG.jpg

qKfjzsn.jpg

That's a hell of a run !

It is not pay to win. Paying for higher tier ships does NOT give you a win advantage. It only allows you to compete in higher levels of play.

In reality, the most satisfying play can be found in T6 and below.

Don't understand the purpose of your post. You don't play the game, complain about the cost of a ship (guess you missed Star Citizen, Eve Online, last 5 years, etc) and imply it's pay to win without mentioning what that means from your perspective. It hardly sounds like you play games to begin with so a bit of clarification in regards to your thoughts might be interesting.

It's not "pay to win" it's "pay to advance faster". Generally buying ships puts you at a disadvantage because your captain doesn't have skills, ect. Also if you're a bad player you're probably going to be worse with a paid for ship...

In reality, the most satisfying play can be found in T6 and below.

Ain't that the truth.

Last edited:

not even close.. sure premium ships can give you a slight advantage depending on matchmaking. but the majority of the time i see people in premium ships get the short end of the straw with matchmaking.. so it's a wash. you're basically just paying for a free XP bonused silver production ship to make unlocking/buying ships easier. but they don't teach you how to actually play the ships your unlocking so it's what ever.

After 135 battles, Im done with Ranked. I have spent 44 battles trying to get from 5 to 4 in my kiev.
MM has been so bad. I have seen 2 matches today with 4v1 BBs. I cant put up with it anymore./

I just finished a match where all 3 of our north carolinas got beeched nose in on the same island. 7 green dead, 0 red dead.

Last edited:
Just because I watched the replay and reported this piece of shit, here's that attempted TK last night:

A7Rr9n9.jpg

Rr2PBn2.jpg

79k damage on me. Still did 150k, survived and won, lol.

To Tirpitz, or not to Tirpitz, that is the question at hand.

What do you say [H]? is it worth the $69 USD? ($58,750 Canadian dollars)

I think it's a great ship. Has drawbacks including a big one that's not terribly significant right now (weak AA) but will be when they make carriers relevant/super OP again. I've made a shit ton of credits from using the Tirp and it's one of my best ships all around (top 25 win rate, wee!) The Tirp/NC/Amagi balance dynamic is easily the most interesting in the game, as each has something two of the others lack.

But $70 is a considerable amount of money to spend on it. Mine was gifted to me despite my protests due to threats of gifting it until I accepted it but I won't try to pretend that I'd buy it at that cost.

I think it's a great ship. Has drawbacks including a big one that's not terribly significant right now (weak AA) but will be when they make carriers relevant/super OP again. I've made a shit ton of credits from using the Tirp and it's one of my best ships all around (top 25 win rate, wee!) The Tirp/NC/Amagi balance dynamic is easily the most interesting in the game, as each has something two of the others lack.

But $70 is a considerable amount of money to spend on it. Mine was gifted to me despite my protests due to threats of gifting it until I accepted it but I won't try to pretend that I'd buy it at that cost.

Thanks for the honest reply :)

The Wife wants to buy me something for Christmas, and really, I don't need anything, thought I'd add that one in there :p but maybe not!

After 135 battles, Im done with Ranked. I have spent 44 battles trying to get from 5 to 4 in my kiev.
MM has been so bad. I have seen 2 matches today with 4v1 BBs. I cant put up with it anymore./

I just finished a match where all 3 of our north carolinas got beeched nose in on the same island. 7 green dead, 0 red dead.

they need to figure out better ranked battles, right now seems like there are about 5 ships that have decent chances to advance and all the others inferior. Kiev was fringe already in 5-1 (which is a bit strange after doing so well in 10-6), after the nerf bat hits (HP, HE damage, fire chance all going down) it's going to be worthless in ranked.

If you think you'll love the Tirpitz to death and play a few hundred games it could be worth it. I am personally looking forward to the NC. Halfway there. I actually like the Colorado. I used free XP to upgrade it nearly all the way though.

I am more inclined to spend $15 for a unique low tier ship.

I do have in my head the vision of glorious victories with the Tirpitz by getting close and firing torps into the enemy.... But I don't think I've actually ever seen that happen. Tough in a BB...

Last edited:
If you think you'll love the Tirpitz to death and play a few hundred games it could be worth it. I am personally looking forward to the NC. Halfway there. I actually like the Colorado. I used free XP to upgrade it nearly all the way though.

I am more inclined to spend $15 for a unique low tier ship.

I do have in my head the vision of glorious victories with the Tirpitz by getting close and firing torps into the enemy.... But I don't think I've actually ever seen that happen. Tough in a BB...

i've seen it happen one or two times against russian DD's that try to get into torp range of a tirpitz and then get wrecked by a wall of torps from the tirpitz. pretty funny to watch.

To Tirpitz, or not to Tirpitz, that is the question at hand.

What do you say [H]? is it worth the $69 USD? ($58,750 Canadian dollars)

only if it goes on sale, the ships fun and quite good but not worth 70 bucks. my guess is the closer it gets to christmas all the premium ships may or may not get a big discount. but we'll see. if it does i may end up buying it.

only if it goes on sale, the ships fun and quite good but not worth 70 bucks. my guess is the closer it gets to christmas all the premium ships may or may not get a big discount. but we'll see. if it does i may end up buying it.

Are you an engineer? There are some lines of work where people learn to use "may" "might" "should" usually due to unknown variables and not wanted my to get slaughtered by idiot management later.

Yeah it's tempting. I love torps, but not $70 tempting... Maybe $40. I'm think I'd like to see the German BB lineup first though.

Have an interesting Yamato vid today with that attempted TK. Great example of why, despite being clearly outgunned, you don't throw your ships away and why
you%2Bplay%2Bto%2Bwin%2Bthe%2Bgame.png

Seriously. It amazes me that people throw Iowas away.

A little OT, but...

There's an old Navy movie making the rounds on Cable this month called "The Bedford Incident". I think it's one of the best old Navy Movies ever made, and it's definitely worth a DVR or, if it's available, a Netflix...

The ending is a real surprise :)

You sure as hell can't beat the cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058962/

Have an interesting Yamato vid today with that attempted TK. Great example of why, despite being clearly outgunned, you don't throw your ships away and why
you%2Bplay%2Bto%2Bwin%2Bthe%2Bgame.png

Seriously. It amazes me that people throw Iowas away.

Yea, that Iowa that went up the middle was straight up retarded and got what was coming to him.

$70 to me is a nice dinner for two at Cheesecake factory + possible tip.

On a fucking 3D model in a game?! lolno...

Back on topic. For next ranked season, since I hit rank 10 this season do I automatically start at rank 10? Hit 10 with Fuso and realized that I only got a Nagato and a Myoko which I doubt get me far.

$70 to me is a nice dinner for two at Cheesecake factory + possible tip.

On a fucking 3D model in a game?! lolno...

Back on topic. For next ranked season, since I hit rank 10 this season do I automatically start at rank 10? Hit 10 with Fuso and realized that I only got a Nagato and a Myoko which I doubt get me far.

IF you look at that way.. the "3d model in a game.."

With that $70, how many hours of enjoyment would I get? Dinner out for 2 is 1-2 hours of "enjoyment", I'm pretty sure I could get a good 50-60 hours of fun out of the tirpitz in the next year. in which case, bang for the buck is not actually that bad.

Still not buying it, just saying.

IF you look at that way.. the "3d model in a game.."

With that $70, how many hours of enjoyment would I get? Dinner out for 2 is 1-2 hours of "enjoyment", I'm pretty sure I could get a good 50-60 hours of fun out of the tirpitz in the next year. in which case, bang for the buck is not actually that bad.

Still not buying it, just saying.

I take it you don't have a Cheesecake Factory near you, do you?

Buffalo wings appetizer + some Chicken Picatta is delicious.

In a different view, with $40 - $60 more I can buy a 500gb ssd if I want something more permanent.

Back