World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

Well, after a stressful weekend, I broke down and bought a tirpitz. The spread makes it feel like its the colorado all over again, but the low arc of the shots and tankiness of the ship makes up for it. Fifth game in, I finally had a good game.

ZODBHyk.jpg

UNgAemp.jpg

m5BKv7b.jpg

Almost 3k base experience. Still waiting on getting my first torpedo hit with it :(

Well, after a stressful weekend, I broke down and bought a tirpitz. The spread makes it feel like its the colorado all over again, but the low arc of the shots and tankiness of the ship makes up for it. Fifth game in, I finally had a good game.

ZODBHyk.jpg

UNgAemp.jpg

m5BKv7b.jpg

Almost 3k base experience. Still waiting on getting my first torpedo hit with it :(

Pretty much exactly why I uninstalled it. It was quickly becoming too grindy and P2W as I suppose you should expect. As you were eyeing the Tirpitz I was eyeing the the Murmansk.

I got to the base Phoenix and when I started fighting ships 3-4 Tiers ahead I realized the game wasn't worth my time. The only appeal it had was kind of as a relaxing, slow-paced, perhaps a bit brainless kind of game. Sort of like Solitaire is for some people.

But the matchmaking and exponential grind were all too apparent in trying to get you into those premium ships. I hear you can't even really maintain/pay for a high tier ship without a premium moneymaker anyway.

I see! good stuff, that's a lot of planes shot down :) I did notice that I shoot down more planes on my NC than I do on my NO, however, that could be because I also get attacked by planes more often on the NC.

I did notice that I can actually hit the citadelle on the Iowa with my NC, on the Colorado, I could not at all, most of my shots would just bounce. For the life of me, I CANNOT get a Cit on the Tirpitz! I have probably landed 150 hits on tirpitz's and not a single cit :(

Tirpitzs are impossible to set on fire too.

I use the main battery accuracy on my Cleveland, but I have the captain setup for AA. With the four point skill +20% range to AA and cannons under 155mm I have 17km range. :) I shot down 24 planes today.. two waves targeted me and that thing shreds planes with the AA useable skill. It was hilarious. The thing must have CIWS.

I put in a ticket to change me to NA, but I read a random post that they won't do it. I'll see if I can get them to do it anyways...

Holy hell, so that's what happens when someone not brain dead has one!!!

Pretty much exactly why I uninstalled it. It was quickly becoming too grindy and P2W as I suppose you should expect. As you were eyeing the Tirpitz I was eyeing the the Murmansk.

I got to the base Phoenix and when I started fighting ships 3-4 Tiers ahead I realized the game wasn't worth my time. The only appeal it had was kind of as a relaxing, slow-paced, perhaps a bit brainless kind of game. Sort of like Solitaire is for some people.

But the matchmaking and exponential grind were all too apparent in trying to get you into those premium ships. I hear you can't even really maintain/pay for a high tier ship without a premium moneymaker anyway.

Sounds like you need to either stick with the St. Loie or use only Battleships.

I see! good stuff, that's a lot of planes shot down :) I did notice that I shoot down more planes on my NC than I do on my NO, however, that could be because I also get attacked by planes more often on the NC.

I did notice that I can actually hit the citadelle on the Iowa with my NC, on the Colorado, I could not at all, most of my shots would just bounce. For the life of me, I CANNOT get a Cit on the Tirpitz! I have probably landed 150 hits on tirpitz's and not a single cit :(

My highest totals for shooting down planes come from the NC where it faces a wider range of carriers than the Iowa does. Those 27 planes shot down were from a Midway so that's both respectable and disheartening at the same time, considering he still has another 80+ planes in his hangar.

You can citadel an Iowa with any battleship so long as the angle is flat. Even the 203mm/8" cruiser cannons can do it if they're close enough to maintain maximum penetration. The Colorado should not have any real issue with a target as large as an Iowa in terms of getting citadels.

Also, the Tirpitz has a higher than average vulnerability to plunging fire from long range shots. Also, if the side of the ship is coming up out of the water (showing red) you're pretty much guaranteed a citadel if you hit there. I've lit a few up for 2-3 citadels while they've been in turns but really, the Tirpitz is not a hard ship to kill, it just takes time. The ship gets penetrated quite frequently and that damage adds up quickly. Here's an example and another from the same video.

My highest totals for shooting down planes come from the NC where it faces a wider range of carriers than the Iowa does. Those 27 planes shot down were from a Midway so that's both respectable and disheartening at the same time, considering he still has another 80+ planes in his hangar.

You can citadel an Iowa with any battleship so long as the angle is flat. Even the 203mm/8" cruiser cannons can do it if they're close enough to maintain maximum penetration. The Colorado should not have any real issue with a target as large as an Iowa in terms of getting citadels.

Also, the Tirpitz has a higher than average vulnerability to plunging fire from long range shots. Also, if the side of the ship is coming up out of the water (showing red) you're pretty much guaranteed a citadel if you hit there. I've lit a few up for 2-3 citadels while they've been in turns but really, the Tirpitz is not a hard ship to kill, it just takes time. The ship gets penetrated quite frequently and that damage adds up quickly. Here's an example and another from the same video.

Most of my shots on Iowas with the Colorado did no damage, let alone a citadel.

Bad angle, then. The Colorado is fully capable of citadeling the Yamato, let alone an Iowa.

No one has had a match with damage scores that high outside of the training room. The highest damage in a match in the world so far was 451k on the EU server. And only one player in the world has achieved a base XP over 5800. If you're talking about modified XP, that's easy as hell to achieve, especially during special events with higher first win multipliers:

wksmzXL.jpg

And, again, it has little to do with the hits compared to the quality of hits and what you're hitting.

I just saw the video. I don't know all the parameters.

Tirpitzs are impossible to set on fire too.

I use the main battery accuracy on my Cleveland, but I have the captain setup for AA. With the four point skill +20% range to AA and cannons under 155mm I have 17km range. :) I shot down 24 planes today.. two waves targeted me and that thing shreds planes with the AA useable skill. It was hilarious. The thing must have CIWS.

I put in a ticket to change me to NA, but I read a random post that they won't do it. I'll see if I can get them to do it anyways...

Holy hell, so that's what happens when someone not brain dead has one!!!

Ah, Sea-Whiz. What a fucking gun. seen that thing fire many times at sea.

Man, as long as everyone else will stay out of it, Gladiator fights between two St. Louis are the most fun to be found in this game :)

Sunk 2 cruisers, BB and destroyer with my tier IV destroyer, only 1300XP. But it was epic battle... that map with a narrow passage between two islands on the right - and ofc destroyer camping the exit. Just before exit, I killed the engines, and his torps missed. Then before he could put full reverse, he got my salvo straight from 2km :)

Then two cruisers came from onee of small islands, just sailing one behind other, and they eaten another torpedo salvo. ALso managed to kill a battleship (but it was sunk, after it landed full salvo on me). One of most epic battles I had. Loving, when the enemy team plays like muppets. Usually I get teamed with muppets :p

This is the kind of score I'm talking about. I just don't see how it's done... I've had screens more impressive than this and only received just over 1000 in XP.

https://youtu.be/FgkkdrZ_lfU?t=14m58s

He had 1833 base exp. Mulitply that by premium bonus. Then multiply that by a flag bonus, and then a first win or weekend bonus. That's not hard to get.

107k dmg in a Warspite is pretty good for that tier. Also, he was likely shooting at higher tier targets to get that sort of base exp. You can do 100k damage shooting at Tier 4 as Tier 6 and end up with 1000 exp instead of 1800 exp.

I can +1 this. I have gotten a few cits against Iowa in my Pen, one was actually a death blow.

Problem is you gotta be way too close for comfort and at his broadside, which means you got one chance to get a few hits and GTFO before he unloads on you. A single turret salvo will sink me. The ice field map is the perfect spot for getting high tier BB's caught with their pants down and enough cover to not get raped.

He had 1833 base exp. Mulitply that by premium bonus. Then multiply that by a flag bonus, and then a first win or weekend bonus. That's not hard to get.

107k dmg in a Warspite is pretty good for that tier. Also, he was likely shooting at higher tier targets to get that sort of base exp. You can do 100k damage shooting at Tier 4 as Tier 6 and end up with 1000 exp instead of 1800 exp.

Got it. Why can't it ever happen to me :)

I can +1 this. I have gotten a few cits against Iowa in my Pen, one was actually a death blow.

Problem is you gotta be way too close for comfort and at his broadside, which means you got one chance to get a few hits and GTFO before he unloads on you. A single turret salvo will sink me. The ice field map is the perfect spot for getting high tier BB's caught with their pants down and enough cover to not get raped.

That's usually how I get killed fast in a battleship. I screw up and take what turns basically like a pregnant duck into a narrow pass, and then I get focused on. I'm pretty much dead in moments.

Rammed and sank a Yamato today with my North Carolina today. Straight up pulled a "WITNESS ME!" before the ram :D

That's usually how I get killed fast in a battleship. I screw up and take what turns basically like a pregnant duck into a narrow pass, and then I get focused on. I'm pretty much dead in moments.

Not paying enough attention and then realizing I have committed to a path through some tiny area... FML. :mad:

Rammed and sank a Yamato today with my North Carolina today. Straight up pulled a "WITNESS ME!" before the ram :D

I love doing that when I have like one pixel of life left :) It's even sweeter when killing that one ship changes the balance in the sector and we end up winning LOL

Lmao, I love shouting WITNESS! in the chat before doing something ridiculously dangerous. I imagine that when/if I play DDs again I'll be saying that a lot more often.

So reminds me of new Mad Max: " I am the man who grabs the Sun... WHILE RIDING TO VALHALLA! WITNESS ME, BLOOD BAG! WITNESS!" :D gotta script this to macro button on keyboard :)

This witness me is funny. I have never seen it in chat. Just stupid shit like "poi" (wtf is that?) and of course all of the budding young admirals all calling each other names and telling me to go to sleep cause 10 grade will be hard on me tomorrow.

This witness me is funny. I have never seen it in chat. Just stupid shit like "poi" (wtf is that?) and of course all of the budding young admirals all calling each other names and telling me to go to sleep cause 10 grade will be hard on me tomorrow.

Are you trolling about what "poi" means? It is "Point of Interest". Also can be used to designate a "Point of Intersection". Typically in WoWS it means someone check it out.

poi is some Japanese anime/webgame that has girls that personify different warships. It's weird.

Are you trolling about what "poi" means? It is "Point of Interest". Also can be used to designate a "Point of Intersection". Typically in WoWS it means someone check it out.

Wow. This went way over your head then. As above, it's in reference to a Japanese webgame Kantai Collection.

poi is some Japanese anime/webgame that has girls that personify different warships. It's weird.

Wow. This went way over your head then. As above, it's in reference to a Japanese webgame Kantai Collection.

I never heard of this. I thought it was weird when I was searching for tips or whatever on the forums that every poster had like some sort of naval anime girl avatar.

I just saw a youtube video showing this anime and all I can say is lmfao. Weird doesn't even begin to describe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah16JK_PotA

I never heard of this. I thought it was weird when I was searching for tips or whatever on the forums that every poster had like some sort of naval anime girl avatar.

I just saw a youtube video showing this anime and all I can say is lmfao. Weird doesn't even begin to describe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah16JK_PotA

Yeah. When in game chat gets flooded by 'poi' it's not in reference to point of interest. It's just meme spam.

I have (or had, taking an official break) 5 reports per day. Any abusers of the chat box got reported. May do nothing but make me feel better, but still...

Finally got around to going over the North Carolina. It's a bit brief since I was so goddamn annoyed at losing all my best replays of it when patch 4.1 hit.

Business, great video. I don't seem to have the same problem with the guns, but then the NC is my highest tier BB. I'm about 50k from the Iowa. Having a rough patch in the NC - I seem to do ok, but my team seems to completely fall apart. Bad MM luck I guess.

I was also in a higher tier game recently that makes me question if it is worth it to get the Iowa. Both sides had a Midway, we also had 2 Montana's, a Baltimore, and assorted others. I was running with the Montana's and the Baltimore. The other teams Midway decided to delete our group - first wave, one Montana gone. Second wave, second Montana gone. For some reason he went after the Baltimore next. I was the forth to die. Just like that. Can't turn fast enough, AA doesn't do crap (fully spec'd in AA BTW), just die. Really, really sucks. If this is what I will see more with a Tier IX ship, color me unimpressed. Am I missing something?

-S

I have (or had, taking an official break) 5 reports per day. Any abusers of the chat box got reported. May do nothing but make me feel better, but still...

Only 5 per day with the new voice chat system? I could do that in an hour.

I'd rather have a real chat system instead of that text speak shit.

who from here did I play with yesterday :D ?

I basically only ran my St. Louis and rained hellfire on everyone last night. Man, I can really do some damage with that thing, and I don't care what you're in. It's the most fun ship I've seen so far.

I had one game where I took out both their destroyers, both their battleships, and a cruiser and was working on the second cruiser when some asshole capped us out. Stick and move. Stick and move. It was fabulous LOL

I guess it did because I have never seen the spamming of poi, but I have seen people refer to Points of Interest in numerous games.

Back