World of Warcraft Player Swallows Authenticator

HardOCP News

[H] News
Trust me, I don’t even want to know how this guy managed to pull this one off. The official story is linked above and quoted below but I can’t help think there is more to this story. Thanks to Anonymous for the linkage!

"I was sitting in my chair and biting into my authenticator while thinking about several RP related story arcs that I have planned," wrote Preliatus "I swivvel [sic] around in my chair and presume to fall off it and shoot the authenticator into my mouth and down my throat."

presume to fall?

shot it into his mouth and then down his throat?

this dude is a quote machine

His physical being has been WoW authenticated. Resistance is futile.

Zarathustra[H];1036465783 said:
What on earth is an authenticator?

Never mind, just looked it up.

What, user names and passwords aren't good enough for WoW players?

Zarathustra[H];1036465794 said:

Account hacking became a real problem (as far as I know, still is). People would have their accounts hacked and all their stuff sold or their characters deleted. Also, people's credit card numbers are tied to their WoW accounts.

The authenticator works just like the SecurID pads at workplaces and government computer facilities.

Zarathustra[H];1036465794 said:

Not anymore. Account hacking in WoW has gotten so prevalent, you basically have to have an authenticator at this point. My account has never been hacked, but I went ahead and started using the free authenticator app on Android just to be safe. I've had a few friends that are tech savvy and have good online habits get their accounts hacked, so better safe than sorry IMO.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1036465799 said:
Account hacking became a real problem (as far as I know, still is). People would have their accounts hacked and all their stuff sold or their characters deleted. Also, people's credit card numbers are tied to their WoW accounts.

OH NOES! I lost my game account... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile usernames and passwords are sufficient for most major banks...

Priorities much? It's just a silly game, not - you know - the money that pays your mortgage... :p

Not anymore. Account hacking in WoW has gotten so prevalent, you basically have to have an authenticator at this point. My account has never been hacked, but I went ahead and started using the free authenticator app on Android just to be safe. I've had a few friends that are tech savvy and have good online habits get their accounts hacked, so better safe than sorry IMO.

Sounds like they don't have a very secure system, adding an authenticator won't solve that.

Some SSL encryption would likely be a more cost effective choice...

Zarathustra[H];1036465826 said:
Sounds like they don't have a very secure system, adding an authenticator won't solve that.

There is a free app for Iphone and Android, so a good number of people (at this point that probably means "most people") don't even have to pay for one from Blizzard.

There is a free app for Iphone and Android, so a good number of people (at this point that probably means "most people") don't even have to pay for one from Blizzard.

I remember when they were being resold on ebay for $100...

What I find interesting is that this guy was able to take down the friggin' horse pill sized authenticar without any issues. Methinks this isn't the first time he has taken large size objects down his throat...Just saying :D

He's going to need someone to follow him around with a baggy for a few days. :D

WoW accounts are pretty valuable on the "Black Market" if you will, remember that's not just your account, but with real ID people can see the E-mail address of others whom they can then try to hack if they so choose. Also there is address info, etc all on these accounts.

My account has been hacked twice now. Once they get your E-mail address which works as the username they will eventually figure out your password. My wife never got hacked, but after my run ins with it we both got authenticators.

Yeah, back when my wife and I were still playing, she got hacked while we were both logged in. She got booted out of the game and her bankertoon logged in. Changed her password and ordered authenticators within 5 minutes. Had the GM hacked and they sold everything in the guild bank and then disbanded the guild. Real PITA stuff. For a frippin' game and virtual gold.

I do wish my bank did offer some type of SecureID, hell if they hacked my WoW account for the couple hundred they can Ebay the gold for, I know they'd love to have my bank/CC info.

lol, first off shallowing it is bad enough, but to then go to the blizzard forum to ask what you should do? I would say chopping off your testicles to make sure that you can't have any children would be the first thing. although for somebody like that, i doubt there is much risk of that.

So it's pretty much a dongle? He swallowed his own dongle? :confused:
Dongles, dongles never change, their pretty poor security and a giant pain in the ass for legitimate customers.

If it's like my Entropia Universe one, it's a device + card that holds a long list of random numbers. Swipe once, get a number, log into your account. Unhackable if you don't get a hold of the device + card unless they intercept your number which is much harder than current methods.

Planning a Role Playing story and can't even stay in his chair while swivelling? I'm a nerdy WOW player but damn. Too fat to even be able to stay put in a chair, and with a gullet massive enough that an authenticator (yes it's a dongle DeathPrincess) slides right down.

Yeah, Blizzard is only about a hundred times as concerned about account security than the average bank. It's like they haven't bothered to buy any congressmen lately or something.

(apologies to the Europeans who have been using public key encryption for all their financial transactions for over a decade now)

Zarathustra[H];1036465814 said:
OH NOES! I lost my game account... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile usernames and passwords are sufficient for most major banks...

Priorities much? It's just a silly game, not - you know - the money that pays your mortgage... :p

It's sad that a "silly game" company cares more for your account security than a bank would.

Dongles, dongles never change, their pretty poor security and a giant pain in the ass for legitimate customers.

you aren't forced to use it. If you want to, then you buy the device or go get a free program according to some where. but you aren't forced to use it by them. so it isn't hurting anyone. You just use it if you don't want your account to be as hackable.

Push a button. Type in a few numbers. It's way too much effort for a little peace of mind right?

Zarathustra[H];1036465826 said:

It has nothing to do with the game itself. People get key loggers installed on their computers that are specifically designed to steal WoW and other MMO's. It doesn't matter if you log into the game or the website....they are seeing what your typing.

The authenticator (at least the original stand alone one) is a simple device that has a large predifined list of 6 digit numbers. You attach the device to your account and now anytime you login to either the game or the website you have to type the number in the sequence. Its simple, but incredibly effective.

Stealing wow accounts is not illegal and is probably viewed as a victimless crime, and most people won't give a shit. Stealing bank accounts and SSN's is a federal offense and the government will hunt you down for that. So yes,chinese gold farmers stealing WoW accounts is much more likely then stealing bank accounts.

It's sad that a "silly game" company cares more for your account security than a bank would.

I wouldn't really call it that. Banks have the feds on their side, and well.. no one really wants to have them after you.

WoW nerds only have themselves, and blizzard. So it's natural blizzard would have a few security measures in place.

Back