World Community Grid

Thanks, guys!

Im crunching under name "[xs]anubis", EXT64 im almost matching you in ppd ;)

(thats with you running in power saving and me in b*lls-to-the-walls mode)

Last edited:
So I noticed I got some "Beta Test" WCG WUs today. I also noticed in the name they say "avx". Intriguing. I would look into it but I am sure Coleslaw already is :p

Actually, I have been swamped the last two weeks and have had little time to look in great detail anywhere. Now that you have brought it up, I will have to put it on my first thing in the morning list...lol

Edit: I apparently snagged two today though.

We will be conducting a new beta test for a brand new application on WCG. This test will include features like intermediate uploads and trickle messages being sent to and from the host. For this first round of beta testing we will only be testing the application itself to make sure it works properly on all PC platforms. Intermediate uploads and trickle messaging from the client to the servers will be turned on and we will look at them. But will not do anything with the subsequent messages at this time.

This first Beta test will have over 3000 work units to be sent out with a quorum of 1. The results should take about 10-15 hours on an average computer.

Thanks,
-Uplinger

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,38239

According to WCG, our team has contributed 2000 years of CPU time. (Granted this is only time accumulated from members while they are on that team and not the members total contribution)

Apparently another BETA test went out last night. This one doesn't require wingmen.

I figured I would post a few decent results that came from the research thus far of WCG. These are results going beyond the papers that were written from the research finished.

Last year, we updated you on the progress our team has made in filtering the computational results from our time on World Community Grid and identifying promising candidate compounds to test in the lab. Since then, we have completed the filtering process and identified over 100 compounds that the simulations predicted should bind effectively to the target PDB:3MJY protein in the Leishmaniasis parasite. However, the only way to be certain is to move those compounds into in vitro testing. Due to limited funding, we focused on the 10 compounds with the highest predicted rating, and found that 4 of them do in fact show positive results in in vitro tests, with one showing an exceptionally promising result. This means that in vitro the compounds kill the parasites efficiently while not affecting human cells.
More here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=435

Thanks to World Community Grid volunteers who contributed to Say No to Schistosoma, we have selected compounds from the grid-based screening for further testing. We collaborated with various laboratories to perform further computer analysis of 24 compounds using several software tools. These tools help by providing information about numerous features of the compounds such as toxicology, absorption, interactions, pharmacokinetics, and more. Quantitative Structure-activity relationship (QSAR) models were used to further evaluate the results. For more about QSAR, see here and here.

From the analysis, three compounds were identified as the most promising substances. For the next steps, we are continuing with in-vitro testing of these compounds to determine whether they might be viable options for treating schistosomiasis.
More here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=427

The World Community Grid phase of the Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together project completed its computations a while ago. We have spent the interim period analyzing the results, retesting some of the calculations, modifying the underlying assumptions for the calculations, and testing compounds in the laboratory using in vitro and in vivo systems. We have recently made an exciting discovery using insights from the Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together project and additional calculations on our web portal for advanced computer-based drug discovery, DrugDiscovery@TACC. A small molecule has demonstrated high affinity at binding to and disabling the targeted dengue virus protease. A full description of this work is available online (see: U. Viswanathan, S. M. Tomlinson, J. M. Fonner, S. A. Mock, and S. J. Watowich, "Identification of a Novel Inhibitor of Dengue Virus Protease through Use of a Virtual Screening Drug Discovery Web Portal," J. Chemical Info. Mod, 54, 2816-2825, 2014). Furthermore, this compound shows signs of being able to effectively disable related flaviviruses, such as the West Nile virus. Importantly, our newly discovered drug lead also demonstrates no negative side effects such as adverse toxicity, carcinogenicity or mutagenicity risks, making it a promising antiviral drug candidate for dengue and potentially other flavivirues. We are working with medicinal chemists to synthesize variants of this exciting candidate molecule with the goal of improving its activity for planned pre-clinical and clinical trials.
More here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=439

And some more

After additional laboratory testing, we have discovered that the seven drug candidates are very effective at destroying neuroblastoma tumors in mice, even at very low dosages, with no immediately apparent side effects. These results have been published in the peer-reviewed journal Cancer Medicine, available online since January 2014.
More here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=341 and here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=413

We’re excited to announce that our collaborators at Scripps Florida have now optimized their NMR experiments and have been able to characterize the binding of promising ligands with the prospective allosteric sites on the HIV protease. These sites represent new footholds in the search for therapies that defeat viral drug resistance. The NMR experiment allows us to detect the location of the interactions between the candidate inhibitors and the protein, but unlike X-ray crystallography experiments, these interactions are measured in solution, which better represents the biological environment.
More here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=396

UGM has temporarily gone dry for the moment, and progress status has been removed from the "Research" summary section.

The researchers for the project are in the process of preparing and sending the next set of work for the project, but no ETA is available at this time on when the next set of work will be available to volunteers.

Fight Aids At Home Phase 2 has begun and can now be selected in your preferences. https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=447

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,38451

For those not keeping up with the BETA work, it behaves a bit different than most other projects as there is a trickle up affect to these to help push the work units faster. What happens is that as your work progresses, bits are uploaded as it checkpoints so that if for some reason your system doesn't meet deadline, the entire CPU work isn't wasted. Part of it still progresses and you get credit based on what reported. I'm sure there will be some hiccups still to iron out and more details for those with questions still to come as the project is just now going live.

Also, related yet not, someone is working on getting the BEDAM (which FAHB is using) to work on GPU's using OpenMM. http://www.compmolbiophysbc.org/project-updates/the2015openmmagbnpbedammini-summit

Last edited:
Now that it is getting cool out again and we turned our heat on I can throw some spare cycles back into DC. I've never tried WCG before so I'll give it a shot.

Now that it is getting cool out again and we turned our heat on I can throw some spare cycles back into DC.
Ha, because of DC, I have not yet had to turn the home heat on! :D

(ooh, but electric heating is an expensive way to go :confused:)

Now that it is getting cool out again and we turned our heat on I can throw some spare cycles back into DC. I've never tried WCG before so I'll give it a shot.

Just let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Setup an account here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/viewRegister.do?recruiterId=338542

Download BOINC next here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php You should not need the one with virtualbox included unless you want to attach to a few projects that use it later.

If you need help attaching to WCG once the software is installed, there is a how to guide for BOINC here with pics of each step: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1768558 WCG uses the user name instead of the email address that other BOINC projects do.

I know in years past, WCG was trying out GPU based work units, anything current? My workstation is back on DC duty.

From what I can tell WCG is CPU only (at least with the current projects).
I ran PrimeGrid for a while, I have near 400k credit on there. Using my GPU would about double my power consumption though and I stopped DC for most of the summer so the AC bill wouldn't be too high.

Unfortunately I had already signed up before finding this thread so I can't use the recruitment link :(

WCG does not have any projects currently using GPU's. From what the rumors say in the forums is that there isn't one in the lineup for the near future. The only project that had GPU at WCG was Help Conquer Cancer and it finished 2 years of work in 6 months. So, in the mean time many of us attach to another project for GPU work like GPUGrid or FAH. PrimeGrid is a solid project if you don't mind searching for primes. It is well ran and has a constant flow of work.

Did the FA@H-P1 WUs take this long? Am looking at the better part of 16hrs/wu for these P2's on a E5-2640 V3 that's running around 2.76Ghz.

No, the phase 1 work units were much smaller and were chopped down even further for the Android machines. The Phase 2 are longer as you have experienced.

Wow I just got a ton of beta units. I don't think I've ever seen my systems running such a high percentage of them relative to regular units.

Well, that makes sense. All of my computers were 50%+ beta (2P 2695, 2P 2660, 1P 2650, laptop, 4P 6380, Baytrail NUC, etc.) except my quad core intel, which is the only one that runs windows. Only problem is with these being long WUs with short timeouts, the 4P 6380 in its current low clock state (to save power) might not meet the deadlines.

Have you read up on the FAH2 work units? They do a trickle up effect similar to CPDN. So, as they reach certain points in the calculation, they will check in. If you don't complete on time, you still get credit for what got turned in. Then new work units are issued based on where you left off at last check in before deadline.

However, being beta, it may not work out great. Since this is a new way of doing things for WCG there is certainly a learning curve to it.

Ah yeah, I remember you mentioning that. It would be nice if that feature worked.

I had issues during BETA where these work units weren't getting the server abort if they missed the deadline so they continued to run when new work units were sent out...thus wasting resources and no I didn't get the extra run time added to badge levels either...so... certainly not desirable yet.

Since starting FAAH-P2 on the 6th, I've received the following badges:

fahb_0.jpg
-- Bronze
fahb_1.jpg
-- Silver
fahb_2.jpg
-- Gold
fahb_3.jpg
-- Ruby
fahb_4.jpg
-- Emerald
fahb_5.jpg
-- Sapphire

Total run time for FAAH-P2 is 2y:121d:23:04:04 as of the last update.

Just ticked over 75 years combined for WCG overall.

Since starting FAAH-P2 on the 6th, I've received the following badges:

fahb_0.jpg
-- Bronze
fahb_1.jpg
-- Silver
fahb_2.jpg
-- Gold
fahb_3.jpg
-- Ruby
fahb_4.jpg
-- Emerald
fahb_5.jpg
-- Sapphire

Total run time for FAAH-P2 is 2y:121d:23:04:04 as of the last update.

Just ticked over 75 years combined for WCG overall.

So you were the one operating the vacuum... :D

New drug development partners

In a previous update, one of the problems we mentioned is that many pharmaceutical companies are not interested in developing drugs for neuroblastoma, because the potential market is relatively small. That’s why we are especially excited to announce that recently, two organizations that support drug development in Japan - the National Institute of Biomedical Innovation (NIBIO) and the Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ) - have shown interest in our project of TrkB antagonists as candidate anti-cancer drugs. In addition, the Association Hubert Gouin: Enfance & Cancer, which supports researchers who develop new drugs against high-risk neuroblastoma, is also interested in our TrkB antagonists project. We hope to secure their support for our project in the near future.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=455

I was hoping that we would be part of the X-mas Race this year. However, it does not seem that we got signed up.

What kind of HDD setup are you using and how many CEP2 work units in total will you be running at one time? You will find that CEP2 is very IO intensive, so the limitation on your output will most likely be the IO. Also, how much RAM is in this system? CEP2 minimum requirements (which are actually more than the work needs typically) is 1GB per work unit. If you are relying on virtual memory to compensate for memory, you will have to make sure your setup is designed with already heavy IO in mind.

So with this said, I don't think they have developed a way to stagger the work units via the BOINC client. I have read people making batch files to effectively do this http://efmer.com/forum/index.php?topic=920.0 , but I have no idea if it is worth doing. usually RAMdrives or SSD's or even RAID setups are used to reduce the IO issue.

Then what I would suggest is to manually stagger it but limiting number of cores boinc is assigned. Start a couple work units, then bump up the cores a couple at a time until you get the magic number. After that, they should finish at different times and thus not have too much of an issue after that.

Apparently an MCM beta went out today. I got a couple but wasn't available to set the buckets out to gobble many up.

I updated the link for signing up on the first post to automatically sign up new members to our team when they create their accounts. I'm hoping this helps with the confusion of multiple teams and I plan on using that link whenever posting in challenge threads and such too.

Looks like a CEP2 beta went out. Lots of people reporting the batch as bad. So, set your buckets out to try and catch what you can. Odds are they will fix the issue and re-release them.

BETA resends are still out in the wild. All of them fail. However, they are expecting to have the batch resubmitted for testing. So, keep your buckets out and ready...

Shouldn't be long

"Soon" - We've already received the corrected batches from Harvard and are working on our end to prepare them to run in beta.

Seippel

Back