Worklog: Trashed 28 oct 2005

Truth be told, I can't be arsed reading all the text. So I will just ask.

Any fancy design incorporating the foot pedal from the trash can? ;)

I didn't see the answer to a previous question, and I'm curious too:

Where did you get the mesh for the space behind the flames?

please don't flame me if I just missed the answer...

Nuzzles said:
Truth be told, I can't be arsed reading all the text. So I will just ask.

Any fancy design incorporating the foot pedal from the trash can? ;)
truth be told... hehe, its ok. i dont have plans to keep the foot pedal due to the fact that i needed every inch of space to fit all hardware in the can. i am using full sized parts that were on hand instead of spending $$$ for small stuff, so, sadly no foot pedal!

Mohonri said:
I didn't see the answer to a previous question, and I'm curious too:

Where did you get the mesh for the space behind the flames?

please don't flame me if I just missed the answer...
the only flames here are on the trashcan! haha, no, i got the mesh from www.mnpctech.com great stuff there!

Very nice work and original idea. I wonder if it's possible to design the foot pedal as an off/on switch? I think that would be interesting to do on a later design if you or someone ever does another trashcan case....

lol See above. ;)

That wouldn't work too well I don't think though. Even at deskheight, you could accidently lean on it, and oh shit, your computer goes off. XD And if it was sometime on the floor, someone could step on it accidently. ;(

like I promised, the chassis has gotten re-done and it looks ten times better and is a lot more functional for my needs!

Here is a quick mock up of what you will see…

Picture254.jpg

But, I wanted more as I was doing this chassis. It needed something else to make it a HAL special! So I made some side walls and a rear PSU adapter plate for the PSU to mount to! It all came out really really awesome!
Picture255.jpg

Picture256.jpg

Picture258.jpg

Picture260.jpg

Picture264.jpg

PSU plate

Picture284.jpg

Picture285.jpg

Picture286.jpg

Picture288.jpg

Picture289.jpg

Picture291.jpg

I also went to work on the red plexi rods and sanded and flame polished them. You can see on the bottom of the rods that I did not finish polishing them and the rough and clear finish of them! I think they look great!

Picture257.jpg

Picture262.jpg

After this, I was putting everything together and I still did not like the layout! So, I took away 2 of the rods and instead moved the placement of the rods. Then it was what I wanted!

Picture268.jpg

While I was doing this, I realized that I could not cement the top of the rods and side walls because if I did that, I could not get the PSU in or out! So, I decided that I would make the two rods screw anchors so that I could take off the top MOBO plate as needed giving it a modular use as well! I did not have a tap set on hand, so I made my own by heating up the drilled holes and then screwing in the screw to make threads! It worked just fine!

Picture282.jpg

Picture283.jpg

So here it is with a bit of the tape and plastic still on it. It is ALMOST done! I have to wire some LEDs in and wire the modular power hub, but after that, its going into the case for final testing! I put the mobo tray on it to see how it looks. Awesome.

Picture300.jpg

Picture302.jpg

Picture303.jpg

Picture305.jpg

Dang, this is awesome, nice job. Haha, that's what my cast was like whenever I did showering/ or anything with tools when I broke my wrist on my skateboard, that sucked.

that picture (the one with the hand and the camera) had me rollin' for a good 3 minutes. :D great work!

excellent work, great idea, awesome attention to detail. i love the plexi work. those rods are HAWT!

/me watches thread.

whoa! i am really stunned. thanks. that is sooo cool... i have to run and tell my wife! haha.

Malignant Kid said:
Congrats man, you made the front page :D This is a kickass mod, I Love it!!!

Hal said:
whoa! i am really stunned. thanks. that is sooo cool... i have to run and tell my wife! haha.

Will she appreciate what that means, or will she just say "that's nice, dear" and pat you on the head?

Front page of [H]ome (hardocp.com, you're a limp gawd and don't check [H]ome at least once a day?:eek: ).

Great work Hal, great red and black you've got going so far.

uzor said:
Will she appreciate what that means, or will she just say "that's nice, dear" and pat you on the head?

dude, my wife helps me mod sometimes! she loves it. (can we say marraige for life! haha) serioiusly, she helps with the overall look. if something looks off she tells me and i revise, she is like my editor! haha.

that picture is now my background, cracks me up everytime i minimize all my windows lol :D :D :D :D

Sweet mod. Beautiful work. :cool:

I know I'll be checking back on this case mod project many more times!

I have a small update that is a big one for me! So far I have been having trouble trying to figure out how I was going to mount the DVD drive inside the chassis. Since I wanted it to stand on end it was going to be a tough job to fit inside the case period. I had to make sure it would not interfere with the vid card or the CPU, so, I had to place it very high in the chassis.

Picture324.jpg

Picture328.jpg

So, to fit with the whole chassis theme, I took some red plexi and a clear rod. And put them together to make a bracket type mount. Now, I think I will make another rod to add to the security and strength of this mount. So, the pics only show one in the middle, but there will be two posts holding the DVD up. The top piece still needs to be bent more inwards and flat.

Picture329.jpg

Picture330.jpg

Picture331.jpg

Picture333.jpg

Picture338.jpg

Picture344.jpg

Picture345.jpg

Picture346.jpg

Picture349.jpg

I also got some feets done! Well, almost done. What I did, was take some clear plexi rod, cut it up into rough proper length, drill holes, heat, then screw in nut for the stainless foot, then attach the foot. Clean up the top for mounting and then a bit of flame polish. Good to go!

Picture313.jpg

Picture314.jpg

Picture315.jpg

Picture316.jpg

Picture317.jpg

Picture319.jpg

Picture322.jpg

Oh, one more thing…I finished the wiring for the RCA power plate.

Picture310.jpg

Hal...

BITCHEN execution!
Wonderful work!

I becam VERY excited when I saw that you found HOK rattle cans!!!
Where are you located? I went to my local Wal-Mart and they did not have it, so I'm wondering if this is a test market roll out.

I'll request, if you could get me the SKU numbers off of the cans or the packing boxes.

I did not see the items for sale off of the HOK site, nor did I see them offered from the Wal-Mart online site.

BUT... if you could send me or post up those UPC codes, that would be great!
Also, and technical info regarding the "types" on the cans (specific names, numbers, etc.) that would be great as well!

I've always hoped that HOK would out out such a product, and I love what I see!

Keep up the great work!
:)

Tech-Daddy said:
Hal...

BITCHEN execution!
Wonderful work!

I becam VERY excited when I saw that you found HOK rattle cans!!!
Where are you located? I went to my local Wal-Mart and they did not have it, so I'm wondering if this is a test market roll out.

I'll request, if you could get me the SKU numbers off of the cans or the packing boxes.

I did not see the items for sale off of the HOK site, nor did I see them offered from the Wal-Mart online site.

BUT... if you could send me or post up those UPC codes, that would be great!
Also, and technical info regarding the "types" on the cans (specific names, numbers, etc.) that would be great as well!

I've always hoped that HOK would out out such a product, and I love what I see!

Keep up the great work!
:)

sure no problem! give me some time, i have to dig up the box, and i will post the info that you asked for! thanks for the feedback!

This is unbelievable. I have an immense amount of respect for people that can do stuff like this. Keep up the good work.

Tech-Daddy said:
Bro... are you in Mississippi?
nope, sorry. i was there the day after the hurricane to help out (im in the army) but i have not been ther since the 20th of September.

I have a small update for everyone!

I finished bending the dvd plexi holder and put the other support colum on it.

Picture366.jpg

Picture356.jpg

Picture357.jpg

Picture365.jpg

Picture380.jpg

I cut a few holes in the side for the placement of the analog displays. Now these are the rough cuts sanded/filed down. I decided to also try to use some MNPCTECH U-channel molding for the finished edges. I just cut a quick strip to test fit and to see if it would look nice. So don’t bang me too hard on the sloppy seam! It will be seamless when done.

Picture369.jpg

Picture370.jpg

Picture376.jpg

Picture373.jpg

Quick shot of the almost finished chassis top

Picture368.jpg

Well, Hal

I remember checking this out on the first post and have been watching ever since, very nice idea and job you have come along with, keep it up.

Back