Worklog: Trashed 28 oct 2005

Good looking build, but looking at your gauges a possible problem came to mind. The internal chassis has a bottom bracket, right? You plan on being able to remove the chassis, right? Won't the bottom bracket hit the gauges and possibly the mesh that will be attached to the outter wall?

I hope I'm wrong. Keep up the sexy work dude.

What exactly is the RCA power plate going to be used for? How did you wire it?

Great job...this really is awsome!

ALL- going to be a good update monday. i say monday, because i want to get a few more pics and do a good write-up. so monday morning i will be posting MANY pics and updates! thanks all for the support!

Like I promised I have an update for you all.

As you know, I have been working on the dvdrom bracket and holder for the chassis. Well, things kind of went downhill with this. The problem is that for some reason the plexi that I was using for the legs were completely shattering when I applied the liquid cement. No matter what I did, as soon as the acrylic cement dried, cracks formed all throughout the whole piece where the cement touched. Even though it held, it looked like a soup sandwich! So, I had to think of a different way of constructing the bracket. So, sadly the neat-o curved plexi rod holders are gone. But I have made one that works and looks good.

I had to construct an actual bottom piece for the plexi bracket to sit on and this actually fits on top of the plexi rods:

As you can see, if you look closely, the rods were all cracked

Picture380.jpg

Onto the new one:

Picture382.jpg

Picture386.jpg

Picture388.jpg

Picture389.jpg

Next; since the drive was going to be at an angle in the case, the opening in the cowling had to be larger than the drive to allow it to fully open and function. The drive must also fit flush with the front of the cowling so a faceplate (heated piece of plexi) can be attached to cover the opening and give a really nice clean look.

Picture402.jpg

Picture410.jpg

Picture421.jpg

Picture420.jpg

Picture408.jpg

Picture409.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Picture401.jpg

Picture404.jpg

After this was done, I moved on to a fan controller. I needed something to control all my fans in the case and I really did not have too much space to spare. Soooooo, I found a place and a right sized controller and went to town! I chose the top right of the case… you can see it will look quite nice in the case!

Picture391.jpg

Picture392.jpg

Picture393.jpg

Picture396.jpg

Picture399.jpg

Picture419.jpg

More work needs to be done to clean up the holes and stuff, but this is where it is going.

Next onto the part that I like the most!!! Now, through this whole mod, I have been having a hell of a time trying to figure out how I was going to mount the top of the can to the middle part. (As in the lid of the trashcan to the actual trashcan.) I did not want some stupid flip-top or external latches or hinges. So off to homedepot! I found some small cabinet latches that would do just the thing! And boy did they!!! The latches were PERFECT for the job. They did all I could have hoped for and more! Ill let the pictures do the talking!

Picture431.jpg

Picture423.jpg

Picture426.jpg

Picture427.jpg

Picture433.jpg

Picture435.jpg

Picture436.jpg

Picture437.jpg

Picture450.jpg

Picture445.jpg

Picture447.jpg

Picture441.jpg

Picture443.jpg

One more last thing, got the hard drive mount figured out and set. And a full shot of the inside as it looks from the top and outside.

Picture412.jpg

Picture414.jpg

Picture416.jpg

Picture417.jpg

Picture418.jpg

did anyone see the little suprise in the post above? well i will tell you! i got my cast off! yeah!!!!!

thanks everyone for watching so far! going to be a bit quicker now, that i have most of the large stuff done! the case is going off to the powdercoater this week! so a sweet update will be coming , hopefully, soon! take care!

Out.

Wow. Just wow.

Nice work so far man. I really honestly cannot wait to see how this turns out.

The [H] has been pumpin' out some incredibly good worklogs lately.

Great idea with the kitchen latches. Loads better than the idea I was going to suggest:rolleyes: Great job dude! Keep it up

Hal said:
ALL- going to be a good update monday. i say monday, because i want to get a few more pics and do a good write-up. so monday morning i will be posting MANY pics and updates! thanks all for the support!

you wern't kidding about the MANY pics! Good work dude, very original. :cool:

Shadowspawn said:
Good looking build, but looking at your gauges a possible problem came to mind. The internal chassis has a bottom bracket, right? You plan on being able to remove the chassis, right? Won't the bottom bracket hit the gauges and possibly the mesh that will be attached to the outter wall?

I hope I'm wrong. Keep up the sexy work dude.
nope all will be ok! the bottom bracket clears the gauges. also, the gauges are in the side where they will not touch anything if the chassis is pulled free, or the cowling for that matter.

Son1990 said:
What exactly is the RCA power plate going to be used for? How did you wire it?

Great job...this really is awsome!
the power plate will be used to power various LEDs and such. small things that i can just plug in or out. just something usefull without having to re-wire everytime i want a change.

dude that thing ROCKS! amazing work bro, im loving it! looks like u got a nice collection of assorted gear there too..

keep it up man, im lovin this project!

Small update.... the case has a date with the powdercoater and the dish is CANDY APPLE RED

Kudos to you. This is some great creativity & craftsmanship. You got my respect :)

Another front page bump!! This mod is very fun to watch progress. Glad yer arm is back. ;)

Two thumbs way up!

It looks like a cool mod! If only the flames could move, like those old disco lights.

Almost makes me want to do a Dalek mod. (ref: Dr Who)

But it would've been funny if he left the foot pedal still useable to allow him access to the internal parts.

It also reminds me of a stainless steel mod that was done here a few years ago. The one that looked like an old wall steam radiator. I wish that one was posted again.

Kudos dude!

awesome awesome mod dude! :D
I love how you're turning a trash can into a completely awesome case for a PC!!

Just dropped the case off to the coater! about 2 weeks time, it will be back in action! wooooooo!

Two weeks! I bet those are going to be the two longest weeks of your life.

I know they will be for everyone you've got hooked :D

Steppanwolf

you dont even know! as i was driving back from the coater i was all excited and wanted to see it! haha.

i have a real good buddy that does my coating, and he fits me in between contracts and other industrial projects, so i get a real good deal, i mean REAL GOOD deal. but the downside is a longer wait for the finished item. sometimes its like 2 weeks, sometimes it can take up to a month!!!!!!! oh god, i hope its not longer than 2 weeks! auggghhhhhh!!!

I really hope its not a month, we can't wait that long!
HAL, don't leave us waiting, put on a Shadow puppet show or something!

Steppanwolf said:
Two weeks! I bet those are going to be the two longest weeks of your life.

I know they will be for everyone you've got hooked :D

Steppanwolf

I think I might cry its so true

Hal said:
Just dropped the case off to the coater! about 2 weeks time, it will be back in action! wooooooo!
Exactly two weeks is today, but who knows if they were able to keep on schedule with their other projects.

I can't bothered to find it now but he did mention that it might take longer than 2 weeks that was just an estimate

haha, you guys rock! i know two weeks are here. eairly next week i am going to pick up the case! woooooo! i cant wait! update in the near future!

Some amazing work going on in this thread.

I'm interested to see how it turns out.

that is some really nice workmanship. Especially working without a shop. (at least i'm guessing since there's lots of pictures of you working on that carpeted floor.)

Keep up the good work. I look forward to an update.

I can't wait to see the finished product dude. You did some incredibly craftmanship just cutting the holes into the case and whatnot, so I can't wait to see what it looks like coated in candy apple red =D.

Should look sexalicious (new word, urban dictionary might have it already though)

Back