Woman Gets Grant To Photograph Facebook Friends

HardOCP News

[H] News
Raise your hand if you knew there was grant money out there so you could travel the world taking pictures of your Facebook friends. :eek:

In the last eight months, I have raised almost $20, 000, completed over 100 portraits, photographed 163 Facebook “friends”, traveled to 11 states across the country and nearly 50 cities/towns. I have traveled by plane, train, subway, bus, car, bike and on foot. I continue to be surprised by the number of people, especially (the real life) total strangers, who have opened their homes to me, sharing their lives, their stories, their food, their gardens and their families while allowing my camera to document it.

She didn't get a grant. Where do you see that she received a "grant". As seems to happen here frequently, articles posted play fast and loose with the facts in order to grab attention.

She raised around $20,000, she wasn't given a grant (public or private). She solicited funds for this experiment/artistic endeavor/whatever you want to call it.

She didn't get a grant. Where do you see that she received a "grant". As seems to happen here frequently, articles posted play fast and loose with the facts in order to grab attention.

Examples?

BTW, from the article:

Hollander quit the first of three part-time jobs and applied for a grant to begin what would become the largest undertaking in her career is a photographer, The Facebook Portrait Project.

Good for her. She can run around being a parasite, catering to the needs of the narcissists.

Last line of the first paragraph in the "about" section:

" I quit one of my jobs, started writing grants and crowd fundraising and “Are you really my friend? The Facebook portrait project” was born."

She doesn't give details as to how much from each source that I can see.

WGAFF?:p
(Wonderfully Good Article about Facebook Friends, what?):D

Maybe she bought that book by the annoying Riddler wannabe guy who plagues late night infomercials... because the government is giving away BILLIONS OF FREE MONEY!!!!!

The only thing that could make this project worse would be if she took all your photographs using an iPad. Social Networking buzzword + documenting random people who are just like anyone else = Artistic Endeavour apparently.

Oh well... same as it always is. For ever one good artist, there's 100 of these leeches that do little to nothing. I travel and photograph my friends... it's call taking a trip. And I don't use grant money to do it.

as a novice photographer this endeavor sounds fun. I am not quitting my day job though....

The real crime here is she sucks as a photographer. If the "portraits" shown are her best examples of what she can do, she had better go back to her part time jobs. What is the deal with taking pictures with windows in the background and not using fill flash. Hell she probably doesn't even know what a light meter is. The poses her friends are in, remind me of the dead criminals photographed in the 19th century.

What a lucky camera she has. Mine always wants to take pictures, but I never give it permission to. I don't think it likes me very much.

Seriously, though, she should be forced to repay this shit with interest, and the person who approved the grant should be barred from ever working for government again, and forced to repay whatever the woman doesn't/can't.

I just hope the gov.'t didn't shell out a penny, but I wouldn't be surprised if some pork project went her way.

Any of you guys want to throw in so I can take some pictures of my Google+ friends?

It's a very complex assignment, and I could use the extra funds. I'm thinking about quitting my job to pursue this.

Who the fuck thinks this is a good idea?! Anyone? I doubt anyone HERE would think it would be a good idea. Maybe I'll go hit up the Apple forums. :p

Donate money for digging wells of clean water?

HAH WHAT A WASTE!

I am supporting a woman so that she can run around and photograph people on facebook!

In all fairness, I spent money upgrading my rig, so I guess I'm just as guilty, but... damn. Some thing people donate money to boggle my mind.

Back