Wolfenstein: Youngblood

I thought there was a way of redeeming these Nvidia promo codes even if you didn't have the required cards?...something about having the seller activate it somehow on his Steam account and then transferring etc

That might work in special cases (unless I'm missing something) but generally you can't transfer a key on Steam unless it was purchased as a gift? Maybe you can now, but that's what my admittedly fuzzy memory of it was. Maybe you can activate it into your inventory now or something.

Well, I wasn’t interested in the game because of the embarrassing acting, but now just for the whiz-bang-visual aspect, plus the fact that it’s a *cough* Wolfenstein game, I may have to grab it and an RTX card. (But really the RTX card is for Quake II)

Yeah...

I think I shall do so next month. Birthday time :D

sounds like the RTX features in Youngblood are really impressive...new RTX showcase title?

Wolfenstein Youngblood - Ray Tracing/VRS/DLSS in id Tech 6 - A Next-Gen Features Showcase?

Soon as I find this game for cheap I'm going to play it again just so I can try out the Ray Tracing plus I didn't game the game a fair shake.

Don’t let RTX fool you, this game is garbage.

:D I'm actually grabbing a 2070 Super next week just for the hell of it. I plan to upgrade again before I play Cyberpunk, so this 2070S can go into one of the other PCs. (I trickle hardware throughout the house.) Probably into the living room PC. I'll spend more time with Quake II, Doom Eternal (when RTX support is ready) maybe Control, etc. but I'll probably grab this on sale and blast through it. It's still kinda Wolf(ish) and I can probably handle slumming it for a few hours just for the visuals. (like watching a crappy action movie or something) :D

:D I'm actually grabbing a 2070 Super next week just for the hell of it. I plan to upgrade again before I play Cyberpunk, so this 2070S can go into one of the other PCs. (I trickle hardware throughout the house.) Probably into the living room PC. I'll spend more time with Quake II, Doom Eternal (when RTX support is ready) maybe Control, etc. but I'll probably grab this on sale and blast through it. It's still kinda Wolf(ish) and I can probably handle slumming it for a few hours just for the visuals. (like watching a crappy action movie or something) :D

You know Cyperpunk is delayed untill Sep 16th many more months?

You know Cyperpunk is delayed untill Sep 16th many more months?

Yes, I'm aware of that. Which is why I plan to upgrade my card AGAIN before then. I just feel like playing around with some of the current RTX titles, and figured a 2070 Super would be good enough to muck about for now. I'll revisit that when Cyberpunk gets released. I'm also not worried about what Doom Eternal's RTX performance will be like because id Software knows what they're doing, and despite what appears to be a somewhat limited implementation, Youngblood looks pretty decent (visually and performance-wise) in the RTX videos. To be honest, in the meantime, I just want to give the Quake II RTX thing a play, and I'm looking forward to Atomic Heart if it ever actually sees the light of day.

is there any way to disable the voices and cut scenes on this game... it all looks okay until that starts to kick in, I don't see mods for the game, but maybe it's salvageable or is the gameplay also a turd salad?

is there any way to disable the voices and cut scenes on this game... it all looks okay until that starts to kick in, I don't see mods for the game, but maybe it's salvageable or is the gameplay also a turd salad?

Hehehe, that's the only part that has kept me from getting this. The cut scenes on TNO and TOB were great. TNC was a noticeable step down in that department, but I LOVED the shooting on TNC. Youngblood looks absolutely horrible for dialog, but the shooting still looks half-decent. I'd love the same thing. Being able to skip or disable.

Recently got this game, thanks to Black Friday sale.
Anyway, this games seems heavily multi-threaded. My 5950X (16-core, 32-thread) shows up to 70% utilization while playing single player campaign. What makes this game so multi-threaded?
Compared to this, Doom Eternal (presumably using the same engine) shows CPU utilization around 3~5% only.

Anyway, this games seems heavily multi-threaded. My 5950X (16-core, 32-thread) shows up to 70% utilization while playing single player campaign. What makes this game so multi-threaded?
Compared to this, Doom Eternal (presumably using the same engine) shows CPU utilization around 3~5% only.
Hmmm, I haven't tried it on my new 3900X, but it ran great on my old 4-core, eight-thread i7-3770.

Are you running it with RTX features? I wonder if there's more CPU overhead in this mode? RTX support isn't in Doom Eternal yet. That's one thing that springs to mind. Another is that id Software proper made Doom Eternal, and while their engine was used for Wolfenstein, Machine Games made the game. Who knows to what degree id consulted on it, so maybe it's just less efficient than DE. Some possibilities anyway.

Are you running it with RTX features? I wonder if there's more CPU overhead in this mode? RTX support isn't in Doom Eternal yet. That's one thing that springs to mind. Another is that id Software proper made Doom Eternal, and while their engine was used for Wolfenstein, Machine Games made the game. Who knows to what degree id consulted on it, so maybe it's just less efficient than DE. Some possibilities anyway.
Yes, ray tracing enabled with RTX 3090.
Today I saw CPU utilization as high as 82% (peak) while playing this game in single player campaign mode. Performance is outstanding. But wow.. 82% peak utilization on a 16-core (32-threads) for a single player game. This is mystery to me. Hehe

My 3080 is arriving next week, so I'm looking forward to replaying it with RTX enabled.

Maybe I have low standards, but I really enjoyed the game!

the game play itself is actually refined and quite good. The acting and story... kinda makes me embarrassed to be playing it honestly. But it’s definitely fun. It’s a really weird mix :D

Just got done playing my first hour with my new 3080 and the game looks great, but MY GOD does that card throw off some heat!

No exaggeration, the air coming out of my case feels like a space heater. LOL, it makes my 1080 Ti feel like an air conditioner!

Just got done playing my first hour with my new 3080 and the game looks great, but MY GOD does that card throw off some heat!

No exaggeration, the air coming out of my case feels like a space heater. LOL, it makes my 1080 Ti feel like an air conditioner!
Shows you how effective the cooling is. The hotter the air you feel coming out, the more heat is being transferred away from the chip etc.

Undervolt! You can get the same or better perf while lowering the heat or just lower the heat further with a couple percent loss.

The card out of the box hits the power limit and throttles clocks. https://hardforum.com/threads/rtx-3000-series-undervolt-discussion.2003050/

Last edited:

I went with a 3070 because of thermals and didn't want to upgrade my PSU.

Back