Wolfenstein: Youngblood

I played it for a bit last night and it was a blast! I hosted and got 1 good player to join me. After I finished the first mission some other guy joined my game and proceeded to act like a jackass so I kicked him. I'll probably just play the rest of the game solo with the AI bot.

'Find our dad and kill Nazis'. lol I like that. The trailer looks pretty decent. The game play though...?

Basically more of the same which is good for what it is. For a south of $30 asking price I think if people come into this with realistic expectations (emphasis) they could do a lot worse. I think that asking price affords a certain amount of "extra forgiveness."

Last edited:
Anyone with the Steam version, what degree of Bethesda account/launcher is necessary? I hear that the game does not just launch through the Bethesda launcher or need it at all (even a self-contained version like older Uplay games used to do), but you do need at least a Bethesda account + sync/attach your Steam to it, if you want to invite/play with others who have Bethesda launcher direct keys. Is this accurate? Or does it not use any Steam matchmaking or whatnot at all?

It's all Steam but match making is though Bethesada I noticed when matchmaking otherwise you can start a private match with your Steam friends.
I already had a Bethesda account so I didn't have to do anything to login.

Ahh okay, the account thing isn't a big deal - glad they didn't go for the whole sub-launcher. I might pick it up then.... I am concerned however about the "gold bars" real-money-currency. How does it work compared to what is achievable within the game (ie does it simply unlock things faster using that instead of game-derived currencies? Or are there any exclusives?)

The story is so bad you will forget about it. You pick up coins in the game and unlock stuff I didn't even notice the in game currency.

The story is so bad you will forget about it. You pick up coins in the game and unlock stuff I didn't even notice the in game currency.
I have to agree that the story isn't good. Actually the longer you play the more you'll notice that this is a half ass effort from Bethesda. I guess there's a reason why the game is only selling for $40.

I have to agree that the story isn't good. Actually the longer you play the more you'll notice that this is a half ass effort from Bethesda. I guess there's a reason why the game is only selling for $40.
30 on steam and people are still passing on it....im gonna skip this one till it hits the dollar bin.

After watching Pendragons link.....wow lol yea not even for a dollar. (i could never finish it anyway)

Last edited:
I think that Bethesda shot themselves in the foot by making the Steam version the "less accessible" one. THey've taken the "3rd party launcher" credo of ensuring that legit keyseller sites (ie GMG, Humble, etc) give the version that activates directly on the Bethesda launcher and worse, not allowing the "normal size" pre-launch discount (ie around 20%+ if your time it right) one expects from these sites. If they want to use Bethesda accounts to mix with Steam that's fine, but they've essentially made the Steam version of the game less likely to be on sale (ie only when it goes on sale on Steam directly, vs keysellers) which is offputting to many, as is the requirement to go direct to the Bethesda launcher if buying from elsewhere.

Some other issues I've heard are the "looter shooter" elements such as having to use a gun type that works on that enemy's armor, hitpoint bars and levels etc... .but that doesn't bother me in and of itself. I'm more concerned about the "Gold Bars" microtransaction currency, used to unlock boosters as well as costumes and other game elements - even for those who purchased the Deluxe edition. From what some reviewers have said that this system (as far as what you can buy) is different between PC and consoles, with PC being less egregious which is nice at least... but I still don't think they need to have such a system in place - especially if there are some game elements (ie cosmetics, gestures etc) that are either extremely difficult or impossible to unlock without paying. I'd feel a lot better if this wasn't the case, but I'll need to do more digging to see exactly how things are set up. After all, pretty much any game dev saying "Oh we didn't design with this monetization in mind. Its all extra/optional" are often proved to be liars, such as the differences in "Middle Earth: Shadow of War" between the time when it had buyable lootboxes/currency/boosters/microtransactions and the respun "Definitive Edition" that removed and rebalanced the whole game in light of said removal.

I'd still be open to giving the game a shot but there are a lot of elements described above that encourage me to wait.

Actually the longer you play the more you'll notice that this is a half ass effort from Bethesda. I guess there's a reason why the game is only selling for $40.

Well it more or less is a standalone expansion. I assume it ended up being bigger than anticipated so they spun it off as a smaller standalone game. Fair price for what it is, but sounds like the gameplay and story took a step back. I'm looking into it, but I'm really looking forward to Control personally.

I think that Bethesda shot themselves in the foot by making the Steam version the "less accessible" one. THey've taken the "3rd party launcher" credo of ensuring that legit keyseller sites (ie GMG, Humble, etc) give the version that activates directly on the Bethesda launcher and worse, not allowing the "normal size" pre-launch discount (ie around 20%+ if your time it right) one expects from these sites. If they want to use Bethesda accounts to mix with Steam that's fine, but they've essentially made the Steam version of the game less likely to be on sale (ie only when it goes on sale on Steam directly, vs keysellers) which is offputting to many, as is the requirement to go direct to the Bethesda launcher if buying from elsewhere.

Pretty much what Ubisoft does with Uplay then. Not a trend I like but I suspect will become more common.

Spoilers ahead. Check out the part at 3:30. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think they topped the stupidity from The New Colossus.

Youtube deleted American Krogan's account, so here it is on BitChute:

Last edited:
Spoilers ahead. Check out the part at 3:30. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think they topped the stupidity from The New Colossus.

Haven't watched the video you linked yet, but I can't say I'd be at all surprised by any "stupid-topping" :D I could kind of tell this was headed that way. I still think it could provide some mindless fun. It's kind of funny. The more they "want you to think" in their funny half-assed way, the more I want to shut my brain off, and enjoy the baser elements. :p

Edit: Ok... Just watched... Fuck. This might be the first id product I don't buy. I actually don't think I can deal with that in order to play the shooting parts. It wasn't "B" bad, it was "who the fuck thought this was ok?" bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we finally get back to buying worthy games after all these woke editions fail miserably....One can hope!

I was trying to press on, because I have honestly enjoyed every id game from Commander Keen to Quake IV, to RAGE and even TNC (though that was on the edge in some places). I'm not for the "woke" angle either, but that's not even what put me off in that video. The acting just actually made me cringe in my seat. I would be embarrassed if someone walked in on me playing it at 3:30 in that video above. It's that bad. I've been able to put up with some fairly trashy game scenarios, and sometimes even defend them in certain capacities, but that's honestly just crap. Oh well... This could be the first game I pick up to round out my collection when it hits the proverbial bin. I'm not normally like that, but...

I suppose it's also possible that I'm over-reacting to a cherry picked example. Who knows. I don't think I'll grab it for a bit though. See what happens.

Looks like you need to buy the deluxe edition for the buddy pass. I'm not sure I'll buy this game right away (big backlog reasons) but I'll likely grab the deluxe edition so I can coop with the wife.

Thats what I did,we finished it a few hours ago.She really enjoyed the game wants to replay again in a few weeks together. It was a lot of fun for her. Beautiful graphics,runs like butter on Mein Leben at 1440p. CRINGEY dialog? Yes,but its historical revisionism was really what I was most surprised with and dissapointed by.I hated TNC,but this she bought for us to play. Machine Games ruined this with ultra sjw politics and cringey level 9000 dialog.

Last edited:
I can say I probably won't play this game till the end enemies are too much bulletsponges even on casual.
I'll see if I can get a refund played 111 minutes lol.

Seen this Review on Steam that pretty much sums up the experience.

icon_thumbsDown_v6.png
icon_review_steam.png
Not Recommended
2.7 hrs on record

POSTED: JULY 30
Wolfenstein Youngblood has the following features:
-A story that makes no sense at all
-Extremely annoying characters
-Around 3 or so unique missions, the rest being a hub-world that you grind for hours
-Six very small maps that you need to run through and cleanse over and over again, for mundane fetch quests
-Enemies respawning as soon as you turn your back
-A damage system that forces you to use specific weapons without the system making any sense
-Level-gated enemies that are impossible to defeat until you grind enough so your weapons magically start dealing more damage
-A stealth system that is so bare-bones you wouldn't believe it
-Microtransactions
-Unplayable singleplayer due to some of the worst friendly AI in the history of gaming

Overall, very little content, no variety, frustrating gameplay mechanics and other creative decisions. It's lazy, cynical and shameless. The game is a mess. And the more you think about it, the more you start to realize that Younblood falls in line with Bethesda's modern approach to game production. It's obvious just how much of an influence Bethesda had on the development of this game. Fallout 76, Rage 2 and now this. It isn't just a coincidence that three different games from three different developers just happened to come out very similar.

Don't buy it. Even at a sale.

Last edited:
Well that's disappointing to hear. I had somewhat high hopes for this game. I just want a fun campaign to playthrough without any needles grinding.

It's just clunky maybe if it was finessed I would keep playing it but it's just shroudy. I killed the 1st boss on casual or Normal not sure if there is a easier way.
The level after it just sucked bulletsponge characters just as hard "hard as in not fun" as the last Boss.
The muzzle flashing from gunfire just hinders your aim you can't see what your shooting at.
Borderlands 3 will cover this game up :D

Update:

Got my refund pending

Last edited:
Well, funny enough, I started RAGE 2 tonight, and am having a blast so far. It’s better than I was expecting, up to now anyway. I timed it just right it would seem to get my id-fix at a time when I thought I’d be playing Wolfenstein.

7:08 Hope we see more games with these characters LOL no problem with the graphics gameplay is just clunky and bulletsponge to the point I don't even what to play it.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Well, funny enough, I started RAGE 2 tonight, and am having a blast so far. It’s better than I was expecting, up to now anyway. I timed it just right it would seem to get my id-fix at a time when I thought I’d be playing Wolfenstein.
It's the law of RAGE games: everyone craps on it, but then you're sickened by the way you're enjoying it.

Last edited:

Pretty fun game. Seems like the general census is that it is better than this.

Pretty fun game. Seems like the general census is that it is better than this.

I’m sure I’d love the shooting of Wolf. I’m just considering for the first time in id history whether that is worth the story aspects.

Having a blast with RAGE 2 though.

Rage 2 just didn't keep my interest (it suffered for Just Cause 4 and vice versa) and this is even less so. I'm glad I didn't pay more than $25 for this.

This game isn't even worth any money, honestly. It's incredible how they are almost purposely just killing the Wolfenstein name. They could have recovered off the last game. This game just took everything in the worst direction possible.

This game isn't even worth any money, honestly. It's incredible how they are almost purposely just killing the Wolfenstein name. They could have recovered off the last game. This game just took everything in the worst direction possible.

I wonder how much of the game's design and gameplay decisions were forced on the developers by Bethesda. The half-assed RPG mechanics and co-op system feel like something a short-sighted publisher would demand.

I hate games that force you to play co-op or where it was designed around co-op...let me have an enjoyable experience playing solo if I want...

I hate games that force you to play co-op or where it was designed around co-op...let me have an enjoyable experience playing solo if I want...

Sadly this seems to be a big trend for AAA games. Examples, Far Cry 5 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. Both work pretty well as SP games but clearly are pushing for you to play co-op due to mission structure, how they refer to the player or have other things that are obviously intended for co-op.

Played it. Finished it. Didn't get all of the collectables. Gameplay was like the previous game. Cringe worthy dialog. Cursed and screamed at the screen several times for stupid AI. Every now and then during firefights, AI sister decides to stand still and lock up. If I can drag myself close enough to her, it seems to kick the AI and she responds again.

Was the game worth 40 bucks? No, its a 25 buck game. But I did have fun with it. There is a viscous grind fest to upgrading your weapons to be able to take out the enemy, so be warned.

I liked the game a lot more than I was expecting. It isn't perfect and the changes it brought to the series weren't good overall but it was still fun.

Got this code with a graphic card purchase. I have no idea if it is transferable or if it will work for anyone here. I already own the game.
Who ever wants to try, have at it. Redeem on the Bethesda Launcher.

Screenshot_2019-09-17 Redeem (2).png

If anyone used the code above, please let everyone else know.

As far as I know the code is just tied to the type of card, so you would need to have a video card from the RTX lineup installed when redeeming the code (2060 and above).

acairman For future reference I would mention having a code available for free and then send it to the first person who sends you a PM, otherwise any random person or bot can take the code since this subforum is publicly accessible.

I thought there was a way of redeeming these Nvidia promo codes even if you didn't have the required cards?...something about having the seller activate it somehow on his Steam account and then transferring etc

Back