Wolfenstein: Youngblood

If it's just me why do other people agree with me? Or did they just like my post for sport?

Well to be fair, I see some agreement on both sides of this. If it's not to your taste, that's cool, but I personally never found any issues with these games. I managed to get through them (multiple times in the case of TNO) and I always thought they felt good. Now, it's been a little while since I've played ANY of these, with many other games in between, but I don't remember feeling like there was no feedback to the kills. I used a good balance of stealth and knives as well as the energy weapons and pistols, and just from memory, it always felt just fine. Of course, I'd be up super close with pistols, and you know you hit them with the energy weapon because they melt pretty much instantly. Maybe I just never really noticed. Either way, these games play very nicely, and it would suck to have missed out on them.

So will this game be worth picking up? Mainly want it for the CoOp, so my Son and I can both play together in our office, with two computers.

Seems CoOp single player shooters are a thing of the past, used to be very popular like 15 or 20 years ago, I never understood why they went away, to me they are some of the best type of shooters.

So will WYB be fun for just the CoOp aspect?

Reactions: Skott
like this
Well to be fair, I see some agreement on both sides of this. If it's not to your taste, that's cool, but I personally never found any issues with these games. I managed to get through them (multiple times in the case of TNO) and I always thought they felt good. Now, it's been a little while since I've played ANY of these, with many other games in between, but I don't remember feeling like there was no feedback to the kills. I used a good balance of stealth and knives as well as the energy weapons and pistols, and just from memory, it always felt just fine. Of course, I'd be up super close with pistols, and you know you hit them with the energy weapon because they melt pretty much instantly. Maybe I just never really noticed. Either way, these games play very nicely, and it would suck to have missed out on them.
While we are being fair I did play trough both of them, so they aren't terrible games, considering I couldn't play trough Doom. But I really had to push myself to finish New Colossus, but that was more due to the awful story and terrible tasteless puns and jokes they put into it. I'm definitely skipping young blood and mostly due to character design choices. The girls are just plain ugly and annoying. And before I get accused as some sort of closeted sexist I had the same sentiment about Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, which had two white male protagonists.

I got the Old Blood free somehow on Steam it was from owning another game. Instead of the Old blood you have Young Blood.

While we are being fair I did play trough both of them, so they aren't terrible games, considering I couldn't play trough Doom. But I really had to push myself to finish New Colossus, but that was more due to the awful story and terrible tasteless puns and jokes they put into it. I'm definitely skipping young blood and mostly due to character design choices. The girls are just plain ugly and annoying. And before I get accused as some sort of closeted sexist I had the same sentiment about Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, which had two white male protagonists.

Fair enough :D I also don't think you have to worry about those accusations. You're in a safe place. :p New Colossus was weird for me. I loved the game play, but yes, the story was nothing compared to New Order, and I agree a good chunk of it was just pretty bad. However, I kept playing just for the environments and shooting. I'm guessing Young Blood will be similar. I in no way expect to be wowed by the story, or the characters this time around, but I do think it will have some pretty solid environments and shooting. I'm not in a hurry to get it though, so I'll wait, see what people say, and grab it for whatever price I feel is appropriate after knowing what I need to know. If it's just awful, I'll probably still get it eventually, just because I have every other id game that was ever made including expansions, spin-offs, closely related ip from somewhat related devs, etc. You could say I'm a fan, (though I freely admit, some of the games are much better than some of the others).

Edit: For me, id's games never were about the story. (or at least that wasn't the focus) It was always just a cool little side note on why you might be doing what you're doing. (some a bit cooler than others) Even though Machine Games can actually write (when they want to) I still play the games for the shooting. id's engines, mechanics, artistic style put me into the world in a visceral/action (if I'm permitted some game cliches :D ) sense like no other games short of the System Shock games. Something about their environments, weaponry, dark settings, etc. just tells certain parts of my brain to shut down, others to turn on, and all of a sudden I'm there, and really not caring much about why I'm doing what I'm doing, just that I'm enjoying doing it on some low level.

Sure some of the stories are at least somewhat interesting. Sure sometimes the multiplayer aspects are fun (Q3A), Doom 3 had a decent emergent story style (similar, but not on the same level as) a Shock game. However, what really makes these work is just the raw play and style. I'm sure everyone feels differently about different games and series. id's just work for me. Even the ones that don't stand out as prime examples of their properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

I stopped playing TNC was right around the Roswell mission. The level design, enemy design, how health worked, and really everything else just felt dull.

Raytracing support won’t be ready for Wolfenstein: Youngblood’s launch

MachineGames executive producer Jerk Gustafsson: “We’re working together with Nvidia on that,” he stated, “but raytracing won’t be available at launch. The engineers at Nvidia are still hard at work getting that solution to look as good as possible for the game, and the date is still to be determined. But from what we’ve seen so far, it’ll be good"

also the PC version will launch globally on July 25th, a day earlier then consoles...

Fair enough :D I also don't think you have to worry about those accusations. You're in a safe place. :p New Colossus was weird for me. I loved the game play, but yes, the story was nothing compared to New Order, and I agree a good chunk of it was just pretty bad. However, I kept playing just for the environments and shooting.

Pretty much how I feel. TNO was good all around, but the story and gameplay of the second game simply weren't as good. The awkward health mechanic for the first half of the game annoyed me. Very similar to DE: Mankind Divided's horrible glitch system and being very limited for augmentations for the majority of the game. Both games fixed it but really, permanently neutered health/abilities for so long in the game was just a pain. Should've been remedied after the intros. I found myself getting stuck on map things a few times in TNC and the ending was abrupt. Otherwise it wasn't bad; more or less the same.

TNO wasn't 100% perfect but very close to what a model FPS should be. Story, missions, if upgrades they should be sensible and natural, mission based progression. None of that garbage type of design like Wildlands which is just a blob of terrian filled in with props and NPCs as an after thought with disjointed cutsenes that have no relevance to any kind of plot. Or you can go the Metro Exodus route if you want to open the game up more and alternate between sensibly open maps and more linear sections. I'd use other modern examples but outside of Far Cry (which just had two very mediocre entries) I can't think of any recent, modern SP FPS game I played. CoD, which had the thoroughly generic WWII and Infinity War which was actually decent and had a lot of potential. Otherwise I am drawing a blank at the moment. Even Wildlands isn't a proper FPS but some weird hybrid but I suppose it should count because it was semi-FPS.

As for Youngblood, the characters look absolutely annoying. Their designs and dialogue is just off putting. I am curious to see how the gameplay is but I am assuming it will be even weaker on the narrative side of things.

Pretty much how I feel. TNO was good all around, but the story and gameplay of the second game simply weren't as good. The awkward health mechanic for the first half of the game annoyed me. Very similar to DE: Mankind Divided's horrible glitch system and being very limited for augmentations for the majority of the game. Both games fixed it but really, permanently neutered health/abilities for so long in the game was just a pain. Should've been remedied after the intros. I found myself getting stuck on map things a few times in TNC and the ending was abrupt. Otherwise it wasn't bad; more or less the same.

TNO wasn't 100% perfect but very close to what a model FPS should be. Story, missions, if upgrades they should be sensible and natural, mission based progression. None of that garbage type of design like Wildlands which is just a blob of terrian filled in with props and NPCs as an after thought with disjointed cutsenes that have no relevance to any kind of plot. Or you can go the Metro Exodus route if you want to open the game up more and alternate between sensibly open maps and more linear sections. I'd use other modern examples but outside of Far Cry (which just had two very mediocre entries) I can't think of any recent, modern SP FPS game I played. CoD, which had the thoroughly generic WWII and Infinity War which was actually decent and had a lot of potential. Otherwise I am drawing a blank at the moment. Even Wildlands isn't a proper FPS but some weird hybrid but I suppose it should count because it was semi-FPS.

As for Youngblood, the characters look absolutely annoying. Their designs and dialogue is just off putting. I am curious to see how the gameplay is but I am assuming it will be even weaker on the narrative side of things.

I actually haven't watched any footage, so aside from a few screen shots, I don't really know about the characters in Young Blood. If they're really that annoying, that will be disappointing. Maybe I should check out a trailer or something.

Agree with the rest of your post.

***comes back from watching the latest trailer***

Yep... they're pretty annoying. Dialog seems... well, fairly TNCish. The shooting again looks pretty spot on though, so I'll pick this up. I'll hold off for a bit though. Not for the proverbial $5 sale, but I'd say so far it looks $25ish. "entertaining if a bit... <fill in the blank>"

Edited my target price. :D Didn't realize this was so cheap. Should be worth it for some shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't played anything Wolfenstein in quite some time. May give this a look.

Paris looks a lot like Dishonored's Dunwall, spectacularly so, in places – this is often a far prettier game than Wolfenstein II...there aren’t any friendly NPCs or magic powers, but there are secrets and shortcuts hidden everywhere...jump up to an innocuous-seeming balcony and there’s a good chance you’ll discover a whole new area – possibly containing lore, equipment, a tip that may help you on a mission, or a stealthier, more direct route to your current objective...it’s really quite excellent, and this encouragement of exploration helps Youngblood’s open areas succeed where Wolfenstein 2009’s failed...

the main new feature of Youngblood: co-op...the game has been designed for two people...so if you want to play Youngblood correctly, and have real fun with it, you’ll need a second player...take on Nazi-occupied Paris with a friend and Youngblood is one of the best shooters of the year...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wolfenstein-youngblood/review

Paris looks a lot like Dishonored's Dunwall, spectacularly so, in places – this is often a far prettier game than Wolfenstein II...there aren’t any friendly NPCs or magic powers, but there are secrets and shortcuts hidden everywhere...jump up to an innocuous-seeming balcony and there’s a good chance you’ll discover a whole new area – possibly containing lore, equipment, a tip that may help you on a mission, or a stealthier, more direct route to your current objective...it’s really quite excellent, and this encouragement of exploration helps Youngblood’s open areas succeed where Wolfenstein 2009’s failed...

the main new feature of Youngblood: co-op...the game has been designed for two people...so if you want to play Youngblood correctly, and have real fun with it, you’ll need a second player...take on Nazi-occupied Paris with a friend and Youngblood is one of the best shooters of the year...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wolfenstein-youngblood/review

That sounds pretty good to me.

Youngblood grabbed me and held tight, and while there aren’t many interesting new ideas in it that shake things up, there is also almost nothing the game does poorly...while I have plenty of nits to pick, the entire package left me smitten; the formula works...Youngblood is a meat-and-potatoes first-person shooter where all the systems work well, the enemies provide a brutal challenge, and a friend can come along with you through the whole thing...it seems like it was designed as a relatively inexpensive crowd-pleaser of an FPS, and I will admit that I was very entertained...

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/201...tein-youngblood-review-pc-switch-ps4-xbox-one

Not a big fan of the suit art-design, but meh I can get over that -- the setting looks awesome!

What still really concerns me are the floating health bars, bullet-spongey for "muhhh co-op experience", and the potential for microtransactions/lootbox bullshit. I am going to QuakeCon today, so hopefully they will have a playable build of some sort.

Not a big fan of the suit art-design, but meh I can get over that -- the setting looks awesome!

What still really concerns me are the floating health bars, bullet-spongey for "muhhh co-op experience", and the potential for microtransactions/lootbox bullshit. I am going to QuakeCon today, so hopefully they will have a playable build of some sort.

Let us know what you think.

Considering the asking price there's a certain level of "extra forgiveness" I'm willing to come at this with and especially when it's gotten a boost in its level design and "like Dishonored" keeps getting mentioned, at least in that regard. Arkane's involvement in that respect is a huge positive in my book.

Looks like you need to buy the deluxe edition for the buddy pass. I'm not sure I'll buy this game right away (big backlog reasons) but I'll likely grab the deluxe edition so I can coop with the wife.

My oldest daughter and I have been looking for something dark to play together. We typically play Borderlands, or take turns controlling something like SOMA. I think this might be just the thing, because we have more fun when it's co-op. She also hasn't played too many id games. She's played a little Q3A with me, (of course :D ) but I think she'll like this.

It's live they must of launched it a day early it was suppose to launch on Friday I though but whatever.

20190725133613_1.jpg

20190725135215_1.jpg

Calling it now worst story of the year it's interesting but it's just a bad story the title screen looks like crayon drawing in game looks awesome though to make up for it.

My wife wants nothing to do with gaming and would rather watch reality BS. Lucky bastard! (y)

Mine will play Super Mario World, and occasionally an early Castlevania game with me maybe once a year if I get her tipsy enough. :D Otherwise she won't touch them. Instead of reality stuff though, she watches British mysteries. (which I actually enjoy as well sometimes)

I think it's supposed to look "retro" since it's set in an alternate 1980s.

Definitely possible. I think most recent id games also have that kind of washed out look on the title screen. (or my brain is making it up, but it seems like many of them have) Great, now I have to go load them all up when I get home and check. :D

My wife wants nothing to do with gaming and would rather watch reality BS. Lucky bastard! (y)

Haha, we actually met on a Zelda forum years ago (like year 2000 or something) so I lucked out there. So I've been gaming with her since day 1.
She does watch stuff like house shows on hgtv and wedding shows on TLC which I sometimes have to sit through...

But we've always enjoyed coop shooters, we've beat pretty much every Halo and Gears game together so I think this game will be a nice fit for us.

Haha, we actually met on a Zelda forum years ago (like year 2000 or something) so I lucked out there. So I've been gaming with her since day 1.
She does watch stuff like house shows on hgtv and wedding shows on TLC which I sometimes have to sit through...

But we've always enjoyed coop shooters, we've beat pretty much every Halo and Gears game together so I think this game will be a nice fit for us.

Nice!

My wife actually thinks id games like Doom and Quake series are cool. She just won't touch them. She also likes Zelda, but won't play it.

NEW TO FORUM

As I have the PC version of WYB, I got my game downloaded today (Thursday, 7/25). My problem is that, while all of their pre-order advertising stated very clearly that the game was for both Co-op and Solo play, when I try the Play Game prompt, the ONLY choices for setup are for Co-op.

Play Game
Host Game -- Host a game and set your co-op join preferences
Quickmatch -- Join a co-op game via matchmaking
Join Game -- Join a co-op game

So how the heck am I supposed to start a SOLO game????? Anybody here know the answer?

UPDATE
So it turns out that Solo play is started by choosing Host a Game .... which to my mind is a stoooooopid way to suggest "I want to play a game with just me". "Host"? I have to _host_ a game to play solo? Then after choosing "Host A Game", I have to cycle through "Who Can Join?" to "Nobody (offline)"

Stupid, non-intuitive, misleading, confusing. They should have just put a "Solo" option under that first Play Game submenu.

Last edited:
Back