Wolfenstein: The New Order

Wow, so I registered on here just to post about this game, after reading some of the senseless "trolling" going on in this thread.
Welcome to the [H] gaming forums, where it's apparently the cool thing to hate on every new game release on every platform. Just look at the Titanfall and Watch Dogs threads. I've only played Wolfenstein a couple hours so far (haven't had the time to play a lot of anything this week :(), but I already think that this game is really fun and that I'll get my money's worth out of this one.

As soon as I heard no MP. I was totally not interested.
Not to crap on your opinion, but it is exactly because of opinions like these that too many games that come out nowadays have half-assed, broken multiplayer tacked on to a release. But I can understand why someone would want multiplayer in a Wolfenstein due to its heritage.

Wow, so I registered on here just to post about this game, after reading some of the senseless "trolling" going on in this thread.
-snip-

I agree, even though this isn't my type of game I won't go out of my way to bash it. I think it has to do with the demographic getting older and more spoiled for certain games. People complain more as they get older that games just aren't fun. When I was 13 every game that got released was a AAA title to me and I loved it. Now our expectations have grown exponentially. If I go back and play Half-Life 2 I will see tons of faults and see just another generic corridor shooter. Which is probably why valve doesn't want to release HL3, they see the older generation fans whining day after day that games aren't "innovative" or "too linear" that if they were to release it right now it wouldn't get a positive response; which is why they have been working on pushing themselves away from the old style and throwing new things into the mix like Portal and DOTA. Maybe it's the fact that most of us have gotten jobs, we can afford all the games we want to play but not the time to play them. We play a game for 10 minutes or watch a 5 minute trailer and if we aren't immediately hooked then the game is garbage and we feel cheated. What happened to the good old days where you saved up 6 months of allowance you could buy that awesome looking game box on the shelf that you've been eyeballing at your local game store and play the fuck out of it and enjoyed it.

tl;dr: Older gamers are self entitled douches.

Last edited:

First off, I'll be upfront. I liked the game. It's not a "Game of the Year" but it isn't a bad game either.

From a story standpoint, it seems good, I'm about 1/4 of the way into the game.

Which reminds me, the guy who got the game and said he beat it like 3 hours after launch, that's either straight up lying or he pirated an unfinished copy. It would be literally impossible to beat the game in 3 hours. After 5 or so hours, being only 1/4 of the way in I'm guessing, playing at a normal pace, I would assume it is going to take me 20 hours to play the game, with ONE timeline. The game has a branching storyline, so replay value is there. Also lots of collectables and stuff to find.

It very much reminds me of old Wolfenstein 3D, trying to find hidden caches of Nazi gold, secret rooms, and documents etc. I wonder what the enigma codes unlock?

From a technical standpoint, it’s ok. It isn’t going to blow your socks off in the graphics department, but it isn’t a slouch either. There ARE some very nice special effects going on, and the models for everything have nice complexity. It looks as good as Dishonored, or say, Deus Ex (The new one) As for the game being locked at 60 FPS, who cares. It isn’t a multiplayer competitive game, so, nitpick much? It's not like at 60 FPS it feels laggy in ANY way.Texture pop-in? If it has this, it isn’t nearly as noticeable as RAGE was. I played the game, and if you are playing the game to PLAY it, instead of trying to nitpick and tear it apart, it wasn't noticeable from my eyes at least. It's funny to, because GTA 5 has terrible pop-in going on, and I never saw nearly as much complaining about that.

The gameplay itself is a "Run and Gun" shooter. It's very much an Arcade shooter. Which is great, because that is how the original was, which I loved. There are some more modern shooter "gimmicks". You can lean (In 4 directions actually) you can do a sliding move ala Max Payne, and you can Duel wield almost every gun in the game, which is actually fun.

The "perks" system is neat. No points, you level up perks based on your play style, so if you play stealthy, you get more stealthy perks. If you play crazy Rambo, you get more "Action" perks etc. There are 4 "skill" trees you can go through, which will automatically give you perks as you play, sort of like achievements. For example, I was doing a lot of stealth knife kills, and it unlocked a perk for me that let me use throwing knives.

The well crafted characters and story really shine in my opinion. They absolutely nailed the William Joseph "B.J." Blazkowicz. The character is exactly how I imagined him to be in the old Wolf 3D days, a "grunt" US Army Ranger. The supporting cast is also well done. The voice acting is great also, from the villains, to the side characters, really well done. Speaking of characters. The enemies are pretty neat. Creative use of almost like a "steam punk tech" you would expect from crazy Nazi experimentation, makes for a nice variety of enemy types, all of which have special "weak points" you can target to make them easier to take down, rather than dumping a million bullets into them. And the regular Nazi's make great cannon fodder. Individually, I like that I don't have to dump 20 bullets into them to take them down. They feel "real", a few bullets, and they drop. So shooting them in droves with a machine gun is fun.

As for the plot, from what I see so far, it is good. I am interested in seeing what happens, I like the characters, and one particular choice early on in the game actually made me cringe a bit, because I was very fond of a particular character. The whole "What if Nazi Germany had won the war?" plot is extremely well done and interesting to see. Other nice things are while the plot is "serious" the game doesn’t take itself too seriously at time. It retains that funny humor from the original Wolf 3D days, or DOOM. Picking difficulty settings will make fun of you for going on easy, and remember those funny quotes when you went to quit the game like "Abandon all humanity and Wuss out?(Quit)" well, yeah that is still there.

Also, Blazko has some great one liners. Soldier:"So what have you been up too?" Blazko: "Oh you know, strangling, stabbing Nazis"

Or you go to kill this sleeping Nazi with a stealth kill, and Blazko is "Wake up! You're dead" Reminds me of all the funny one liners in the old Duke Nukem games.

And the internal monologues! So sometimes, you look at a painting or something, and in the middle of the action, Blazko goes on these internal monologues, which are insightful at times, or others, outright hilarious.

So that's my thoughts. If I had to list some complaints, it would be 2 things.

I find the leaning mechanic cumbersome to use.

I hate having to push a button to pick up the items, versus just walking over them.

Well, you sold me. Like I mentioned in another post, I don't have enough time right now, and my backlog is too long as it is. However, I can see buying this and enjoying it sometime in the near future. Hopefully another patch for this or that will be out, the price will be down a few $, and I'll be happy. If I didn't have at least ten other games I haven't played yet, I'd likely buy this now for full price.

I enjoyed Rage too for what it was.

It's funny that people will expect an id game not to be an id game. When were id games EVER super-deep experiences? NEVER. Not since day one. Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D? Doom, Quake, all Raven Software derivatives... They've always been action oriented games, and expecting any new game from them to be any different is just silly. On multiplayer... Wolf3D wasn't MP either. :p hehehe MP games are fun, and SP games are fun. One shouldn't be half-assedly bolted onto the other though. Q3A was an MP game done right as an example. I'm sure the new UT game will be too.

There are other companies for other types of games.

I agree, even though this isn't my type of game I won't go out of my way to bash it. I think it has to do with the demographic getting older and more spoiled for certain games. People complain more as they get older that games just aren't fun. When I was 13 every game that got released was a AAA title to me and I loved it. Now our expectations have grown exponentially. If I go back and play Half-Life 2 I will see tons of faults and see just another generic corridor shooter. Which is probably why valve doesn't want to release HL3, they see the older generation fans whining day after day that games aren't "innovative" or "too linear" that if they were to release it right now it wouldn't get a positive response; which is why they have been working on pushing themselves away from the old style and throwing new things into the mix like Portal and DOTA. Maybe it's the fact that most of us have gotten jobs, we can afford all the games we want to play but not the time to play them. We play a game for 10 minutes or watch a 5 minute trailer and if we aren't immediately hooked then the game is garbage and we feel cheated. What happened to the good old days where you saved up 6 months of allowance you could buy that awesome looking game box on the shelf that you've been eyeballing at your local game store and play the fuck out of it and enjoyed it.

Haha, but I AM an old gamer. I played the original Wolfenstein 3d, when it came out. I actually think thats why I appreciate this new one more so, because I really remember the old one and can see how they paid homage to it so much, with all the little touches here and there.

Oh that reminds me. You can still eat Dog Food. Hahaha, made me laugh. Also, when I got attacked for the first time by a dog, I immediately had a flashback to the dogs from the original Wolf 3D.

Last edited:

LMAO yeah I totally agree, I don't know what it is about today but it seems like everybody and their mother goes out of their way to bash and nitpick a game and making it out to be the worst game ever made. Whatever happened to sitting down and enjoying a game for exactly what it is... a game and then formulating your own opinion instead of basing it off of others? My second cousin twice removed friend of a friend on this one internet forum said that this game was made by this one developer he doesn't like that helped make this game 7 years ago and so it must be a shitty game! Give me a break, this forum and pretty much the rest of the internet has become full of cynical assholes and complainers.

About the only game that people will probably be excited about at this point is if it cooked you breakfast, lunch and dinner and sucked your dick while you play.

I think a lot of the "every game is bad" mentality stems from the fact that gaming, as an overall hobby, has gotten cheaper than ever. When you have good free-to-plays with zero cost of entry and really good $5, $10 and $20 indies, it pushes expectations for $60 games into the stratosphere. Or the troposphere. Or whatever.

A $60 game is expected to deliver a six times greater experience than a $10 game, and that has to be a massively difficult feat to accomplish. Add to that basic expectation the hype that surrounds AAA games in the months and years leading up to release and you have what is essentially a no-win scenario.

The realistic expectation is that $50 gets you polish, decently better graphics, good acting and solid sound design (almost universally lacking in low-cost games) at the expense of innovation in gameplay. If that's what Wolfenstein is, then it's falling about in line of where you can sensibly expect it to.

I think a lot of the "every game is bad" mentality stems from the fact that gaming, as an overall hobby, has gotten cheaper than ever. When you have good free-to-plays with zero cost of entry and really good $5, $10 and $20 indies, it pushes expectations for $60 games into the stratosphere. Or the troposphere. Or whatever.

Seems heliosphere is what you're looking for... :D

pfft, after all those great A+ games from 2013 you cant get away with shit like this pretending to be a A+ game anymore, and as for people saying the game looks like crap without even playing it: the same goes when you see dog poo, you dont have to also stick your finger in it to know what it is.

homage my fucking ass homage.

pfft, after all those great A+ games from 2013 you cant get away with shit like this pretending to be a A+ game anymore, and as for people saying the game looks like crap without even playing it: the same goes when you see dog poo, you dont have to also stick your finger in it to know what it is.

Who says it's an A+ game? What's wrong with B games? I paid just as much for a game in 2003 as I do now. And if you don't want to pay $50-$60 then just wait 2-3 months like I did when I was a kid (actually it was probably more like 6+ months before you saw a $50 game for under $30) and pick it up in the bargain bin or hell "steam sales" which has brought AAA title games down so cheap for lazy people that honestly there's no reason to complain. Again, it's the expecations that cause these issues. I am done with hype, I don't hype up for anything because everything just seems like a dissapointment when I read everyone bashing the game like Watchdogs. Then when I finally get my hands on it, "Oh hey, this game really isn't that bad, what is everyones problem?"

So just out of curiosity how would you guys rate this next to Singularity? I actually ended up really enjoying that game. For all it's flaws it was very memorable and had a cool storyline. In todays market it was not quite indie for me value wise like a $30-40 game.

Sterling seems to indicate that this is kind of bland in the way of story. If thats the case I don't have much interest in playing.

Bad troll is bad? And all those A+ games in 2013? Like what?

I cant think of one memorable shooter from 2013.

So just out of curiosity how would you guys rate this next to Singularity? I actually ended up really enjoying that game. For all it's flaws it was very memorable and had a cool storyline. In todays market it was not quite indie for me value wise like a $30-40 game.

Sterling seems to indicate that this is kind of bland in the way of story. If thats the case I don't have much interest in playing.

The story is what it is. We arent talking "Last of Us" here exactly, but it IS a good story, and well presented so far as I have gotten. Besides, Sterling bitches about every game.

Total Bisquit reviewed Wolf New Order, and frankly, his is a pretty honest review, though he doesnt talk a lot about the story.

as in contrary to "1 Day n00bie" that creates a new user to defend this crap?

I'm watching the total biscuit review. I don't know the game looks really really ugly. I play a lot of old games so I might be ok with it.

I don't know all the reviews are weird. It's getting a lot of 8-/10 and like total biscuit the details of the reviews are just saying "meh". Meh is not an 8/10 for me.

Regardless I'm not gonna blow $60 on this...or..well $10.

Haha, but I AM an old gamer. I played the original Wolfenstein 3d, when it came out. I actually think thats why I appreciate this new one more so, because I really remember the old one and can see how they paid homage to it so much, with all the little touches here and there.

Oh that reminds me. You can still eat Dog Food. Hahaha, made me laugh. Also, when I got attacked for the first time by a dog, I immediately had a flashback to the dogs from the original Wolf 3D.

Ha Ive got ya on that. Ive been hooked on video games since they invented video games. You cant be much older a gamer than I am. I remember playing Castle Wolfenstein on my Commodore 64 back in 1983. Like a previous poster mentioned, I remember saving up allowance for over a month to buy Dragonfire for the Atari 2600 back in 1982! IIRC it was $25. LOL

Id actually argue that the older generation are not hard to please at all. Us older guys came up with the most basic and simple games ever and never dreamed of the quality of games out now. I remember Impossible Mission was the first game I ever heard speech in. I was blown away and would never in a million years believe that there would be Hollywood actors voicing roles in games one day. The younger crowd never had to play basketball games on the Atari 2600 which was incapable of producing a round shape so everything was square. Id argue if its a generational thing, then it would be more likely the younger crowd thats spoiled now and never satisfied with the new stuff coming out.

However I dont think its an age thing. I think its just a PC gamer thing. We're generally never happy with anything and every game that comes out is going to get a whole lot of hate because its not "perfect" in every way.

I bitched about this game in the [H] review but only because it seems to be broken. Texture pop-in, mediocre graphics on an outdated engine, some weird VRAM cap on video settings and a 7GB day one patch isnt something you should see on a AAA title like this. Thats what I think have a lot of people pissed off. Not so much the usual "I hate everything" mentality you see on gaming forums.

The story is what it is. We arent talking "Last of Us" here exactly, but it IS a good story, and well presented so far as I have gotten. Besides, Sterling bitches about every game.

Total Bisquit reviewed Wolf New Order, and frankly, his is a pretty honest review, though he doesnt talk a lot about the story.

Thanks for your honest opinion.

as in contrary to "1 Day n00bie" that creates a new user to defend this crap?

The guy, much like me, simply feels that the game isn't half bad and sees the downside of bad-mouthing a game you haven't even tried.

This is just like RAGE, which wasn't an all star game, had it's technical issues, but all in all was fun to play, in my opinion.

I'm watching the total biscuit review. I don't know the game looks really really ugly. I play a lot of old games so I might be ok with it.

I don't know all the reviews are weird. It's getting a lot of 8-/10 and like total biscuit the details of the reviews are just saying "meh". Meh is not an 8/10 for me.

Regardless I'm not gonna blow $60 on this...or..well $10.

Fair enough. I wouldnt say the reviews are "meh" though, just that the game is OK.

The game is average. Its not GOTY, its not bad, just "good"

I do feel if you are truly a fan of old school shooters like the Original Wolf 3D or DOOM, it makes the game more fun because you can see where they made intentional design choices to bring back sort of an "Old School" shooter.

For me $60 is a drop in the bucket income wise, so it doesn't bother me. I spend more a week on smokes or eating out than that. If income is an issue, i can see holding off till it is cheaper. But to say it isn't even worth $10 is kind of ridiculous. It's a good game, good re playability, and long single player campaign. The level designs are unique and varied, the story is branching, it isnt purely a corridor shooter, you have multiple paths, play styles, and side missions.objectives to go after.

This!

I played the section before the opening credits for 1.5 hours just to try to see everything/find the secrets. It's pretty awesome.

If anything this thread is making me want it more... It may have just moved up a couple spots in the queue...

It's a flawed game but has good things going for it. If it gets support it can improve.

Anyone try to force AA on this game? Is it worthwhile doing?

I played a little bit and the performance was pretty lousy for me on medium settings. i got a amd 7930 and 4930k

Got around to playing it. Yeap, not that bad. Yes there are plenty of texture glitches and pop in which sucks but it's still a fun game. Mass Effect had the same issues but I looked past that because it was an incredible game.

HAHA, I just found an easter egg that makes the game 100 times more awesome.

You can play the original Wolfenstein 3D game inside this game.

HAHA, I just found an easter egg that makes the game 100 times more awesome.

You can play the original Wolfenstein 3D game inside this game.

Ive heard of this, plz share details! It will be so nostalgic to do that! Literally was the first game I ever played as a kid and totally was hooked on games since that day!

This is just like RAGE, which wasn't an all star game, had it's technical issues, but all in all was fun to play, in my opinion.

People are already drawing parallels to Rage?! Good to know, will wait until it hits a humblebundle so I don't waste more than a $1 on a potential turd. :cool:

I never played RAGE, but I'm not impressed with the graphics. I still like the game. Is this the engine Carmack spent his time working on? This would have looked last gen, last gen.

I never played RAGE, but I'm not impressed with the graphics. I still like the game. Is this the engine Carmack spent his time working on? This would have looked last gen, last gen.

Ya it is. iDTech 5, iD's latest and greatest "masterpiece". Sadly, iD has been bad at engine technology for some time now. iDTech 5 is just the most glaring. Among its many problems the biggest is the texturing. The whole "megatexture" thing may sound cool in theory, but in practice procedural, shader based, enhancements end up looking way more realistic on a given budget and take less space. Oh and you can have a build chain that doesn't need server class hardware to make a map (iDTech 5's tools need like 192GB of RAM for that).

It's not a horrible engine, but it doesn't hold up well against its contemporaries. In theory its textures could be amazing, and everything unique, but that would require a ton of space and an amount of artist time that is just unfeasible to have with a reasonable budget.

It's also married to OpenGL which is why it has been giving Radeon owners more fits since AMD doesn't have OpenGL drivers quite as good as their DX drivers.

People are already drawing parallels to Rage?! Good to know, will wait until it hits a humblebundle so I don't waste more than a $1 on a potential turd. :cool:

Considering this plays nothing like RAGE, I would say that guy is full of turds to be honest.

Also, people act like the graphics are SOOOOO bad. Please. They aren't any worse then any other shooter that has come out recently. Sure as hell looks better then the Call of Duty crap they keep shoveling out. Looks better then Call of Duty Ghost for sure. BF4 quality, no, but still plenty good for what it is. When did people become such graphics whores, instead of playing games because they are fun.

The game just doesn't look that good. The textures are terrible and the lack of PC oriented options are very telling. Like the last Wolfenstein game, this one is stricken with consolitis. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Among its many problems the biggest is the texturing.

There is texture pop-in when isolated in a small room lol. It's easy to see just by doing a quick 180 in one of the early missions where B has to take out a AA gun.

Also, people act like the graphics are SOOOOO bad. Please. They aren't any worse then any other shooter that has come out recently. Sure as hell looks better then the Call of Duty crap they keep shoveling out. Looks better then Call of Duty Ghost for sure. BF4 quality, no, but still plenty good for what it is. When did people become such graphics whores, instead of playing games because they are fun.

Around the time they made a hardforum account usually.

Anybody running this at 1080p with a 7870, and if so, what settings and performance are you getting?

This will sound silly but perhaps it would be a good 360 rental. I am leery about running openGL games on Radeon video cards. Also, I heard good things about how Rage ran on 360 hardware (good optimization).

I loaded the game.
Loaded the latest NVidia beta drivers.
loaded the Flawlesswidescreen fix.
no technical issues. Surround works, SLi works.

The game is fun to play.
It's old school shooting.
The graphics are RAGE-like, and Singularity-like(Singularity was an Unreal, I think)
I haven't seen any texture pop-in, but there are some bland, granular textures.

It ain't Crysis. It's just as good graphically as Bioshock-Infinate.
The story is interesting.

Worth it? That an individual choice, but I'm enjoying the game for what it is.

I loaded the game.
Loaded the latest NVidia beta drivers.
loaded the Flawlesswidescreen fix.
no technical issues. Surround works, SLi works.

The game is fun to play.
It's old school shooting.
The graphics are RAGE-like, and Singularity-like(Singularity was an Unreal, I think)
I haven't seen any texture pop-in, but there are some bland, granular textures.

It ain't Crysis. It's just as good graphically as Bioshock-Infinate.
The story is interesting.

Worth it? That an individual choice, but I'm enjoying the game for what it is.

Thats what I dont get. I haven't seen any texture pop-in. Is it just folks with older hardware?

I have a 780 GTX, and installed it on an OCZ SSD Drive, so maybe thats why I dont get it to much?

Back