• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

I loaded the game.
Loaded the latest NVidia beta drivers.
loaded the Flawlesswidescreen fix.
no technical issues. Surround works, SLi works.

The game is fun to play.
It's old school shooting.
The graphics are RAGE-like, and Singularity-like(Singularity was an Unreal, I think)
I haven't seen any texture pop-in, but there are some bland, granular textures.

It ain't Crysis. It's just as good graphically as Bioshock-Infinate.
The story is interesting.

Worth it? That an individual choice, but I'm enjoying the game for what it is.

Well, that sealed it. Going to grab this before the weekend.
 
Thats what I dont get. I haven't seen any texture pop-in. Is it just folks with older hardware?

I have a 780 GTX, and installed it on an OCZ SSD Drive, so maybe thats why I dont get it to much?

I play from my 2TB WD Black drive and texture pop-in galore. I can't look in a direction without seeing flicker or pop. It's pretty bad not going to lie, more or less the same as Rage in the graphics regard also lack of AA sucks. Faces and animation are good though, enemy models, clothing and armor looks nice, environments are nothing amazing. After playing for about 3 hours I can safely give this game a playable rating. If you like action shooters then this will be worth it.
 
I loaded the game.
Loaded the latest NVidia beta drivers.
loaded the Flawlesswidescreen fix.
no technical issues. Surround works, SLi works.

The game is fun to play.
It's old school shooting.
The graphics are RAGE-like, and Singularity-like(Singularity was an Unreal, I think)
I haven't seen any texture pop-in, but there are some bland, granular textures.

It ain't Crysis. It's just as good graphically as Bioshock-Infinate.
The story is interesting.

Worth it? That an individual choice, but I'm enjoying the game for what it is.

^^ This but I wouldn't recommend paying full price for it. I expect to see GMG deals and other discounts and price drops in the near future.

Singularity was an underrated gem incidentally.
 
I think the texture streaming just plain works better on NV hardware. I think I had a 460 or a 560 when Rage came out, and it was buttery smooth with zero texture pop-in. I also had a machine with a 6870 or something like that, and it did have some of those issues. (not as bad as some, but they were there)

I'm sure with textures taking up 26-45GB (Rage and Wolf resp...) an SSD helps quite a bit. I don't think it's absolutely necessary though. My game and HTPC machines both have traditional HDDs, and play Rage flawlessly. Both have NV cards though. (650ti in the HTPC and a 660ti in the game machine.) I expect Wolfenstein to work fairly similarly give or take a bit.

I thought maybe it could be somewhat system memory related too, but my game PC has 12GB and the HTPC only has 4GB, and no noticeable difference with Rage. (both are Vsynced and never seem to drop below 60)

I'm sticking with the NV is better with id engines theory. It's kind of been that way since the TNT days really.
 
I think the texture streaming just plain works better on NV hardware. I think I had a 460 or a 560 when Rage came out, and it was buttery smooth with zero texture pop-in. I also had a machine with a 6870 or something like that, and it did have some of those issues. (not as bad as some, but they were there)

I'm sure with textures taking up 26-45GB (Rage and Wolf resp...) an SSD helps quite a bit. I don't think it's absolutely necessary though. My game and HTPC machines both have traditional HDDs, and play Rage flawlessly. Both have NV cards though. (650ti in the HTPC and a 660ti in the game machine.) I expect Wolfenstein to work fairly similarly give or take a bit.

I thought maybe it could be somewhat system memory related too, but my game PC has 12GB and the HTPC only has 4GB, and no noticeable difference with Rage. (both are Vsynced and never seem to drop below 60)

I'm sticking with the NV is better with id engines theory. It's kind of been that way since the TNT days really.

I agree with you, but I bet someone will come on here claiming to own an Nvidia card and have texture pop-in.

The funny thing is, I think, a lot of time, it's the users system. Maybe your system isnt running well because of junk files, a mess of a registry, bad driver, not installing a clean driver setup etc.

I do a lot of support for a PC program as part of my job, and 90% of the time, when something is messed up, it's something the user did.
 
I'm about 4 hours in and think the game is fantastic. It was meant to be a throwback shooter to the old days and it does that amazingly well. It is exactly what I expect from a Wolfenstein game.

As for tech issues. I've seen a couple minor texture glitches (random color change) but not often at all. Have not seen any texture pop in.
 
I watched a stream for around 40 minutes yesterday and didn't notice any texture pop-in issues.

*shrugs*
 
I agree with you, but I bet someone will come on here claiming to own an Nvidia card and have texture pop-in.

The funny thing is, I think, a lot of time, it's the users system. Maybe your system isnt running well because of junk files, a mess of a registry, bad driver, not installing a clean driver setup etc.

I do a lot of support for a PC program as part of my job, and 90% of the time, when something is messed up, it's something the user did.

Definitely. I've always had about as clean a PC as possible, so I don't see a lot of things that some people do problem-wise. Every once in a while some unexplained weirdness will occur, but not typically. (unless it's down to a driver rev or something like that) I even have a few design packages on my main system now for doing schematic capture and PCB layout that run some licensing software in the background and still don't have any problems. I was always worried about things like that causing trouble.

I don't really run a lot of utilities, I keep bare minimum AV software (and just lock things down network-wise and use care,) and things run pretty solidly throughout my house.

I've actually gotten a little lazy in my older age now. I used to do OS reinstalls periodically just to keep things running perfectly. I had a nice process down for that. Now I've probably gone for a year and a half on my main install. No problems, so I just let it sit. :D Windows 7 is probably a big part of that though too. It's pretty low maintenance.
 
I need to do a OS reinstall, but I'm way too lazy. Will probably help most of the problems I have on my machine.
 
I think the texture streaming just plain works better on NV hardware. I think I had a 460 or a 560 when Rage came out, and it was buttery smooth with zero texture pop-in. I also had a machine with a 6870 or something like that, and it did have some of those issues. (not as bad as some, but they were there)

I'm sure with textures taking up 26-45GB (Rage and Wolf resp...) an SSD helps quite a bit. I don't think it's absolutely necessary though. My game and HTPC machines both have traditional HDDs, and play Rage flawlessly. Both have NV cards though. (650ti in the HTPC and a 660ti in the game machine.) I expect Wolfenstein to work fairly similarly give or take a bit.

I thought maybe it could be somewhat system memory related too, but my game PC has 12GB and the HTPC only has 4GB, and no noticeable difference with Rage. (both are Vsynced and never seem to drop below 60)

I'm sticking with the NV is better with id engines theory. It's kind of been that way since the TNT days really.
Of course texture streaming works better on NVIDIA hardware, it was written on CUDA. I can find no information on whether or not the capability was added for OpenCL.
 
I agree with you, but I bet someone will come on here claiming to own an Nvidia card and have texture pop-in.

The funny thing is, I think, a lot of time, it's the users system. Maybe your system isnt running well because of junk files, a mess of a registry, bad driver, not installing a clean driver setup etc.

I do a lot of support for a PC program as part of my job, and 90% of the time, when something is messed up, it's something the user did.

No it's not user error, the engine is just badly programmed. The pop in exists on my system. Maybe playing at a lower setting fixes the situation but at custom ultra it's definitely visible.
 
About the only game that people will probably be excited about at this point is if it cooked you breakfast, lunch and dinner and sucked your dick while you play.

Does this magical game you speak of have an expected release date? I'm ready to pre-order NOW. It sounds like everything I've ever dreamed of.



On a serious note -- the lack of MP is the biggest killer for me. Doesn't even have to be vs, could be a co-op like borderlands 2. Playing it with a friend make the replay value go through the roof. Maybe it's because im getting old, but even with multiple story branches, I don't feel like playing the whole damn game over again.

I can't wait to play it but it's a $30 game at most to me, I have plenty of other stuff that's more important than gaming. (owning a home will do that to you)
 
(owning a home will do that to you)

Indeed it will. Between things to do around the house, my second job-hobby (designing analog modular synthesizer circuits which is a HUGE time sink,) wife and kids, my game time is very small bursts here and there.
 
I'm sticking with the NV is better with id engines theory. It's kind of been that way since the TNT days really.

It's because their engines use GL, and some strange optimizations with GL at that.

So nVidia has long held DX and GL to both be "primary" APIs on their cards and done a great job optimizing them. They basically run at completely equal speed and have for a long time, and all features work in either. AMD (and ATi before them) have not had as much focus on their GL drivers. They are there, but they aren't necessarily as fast as their DX drivers. Games with dual stack implementations (like Earth 2150) would run faster in DX mode than GL mode on AMD hardware, though the same speed on nVidia hardware.

That causes issues with iD Tech games, since OpenGL is their one and only API. So they've never been that good on AMD/ATi hardware.

This is made worse in Rage with the texture streaming shit. It is just not that easy to make work really well on a PC for various reasons. Hence AMD's slower OpenGL is an even bigger issue than it might otherwise be.
 
Recent AMD cards actually have dedicated silicon to facilitate MegaTexture-like implementations. Whether it's used in Wolfenstein I don't know.
 
It's because their engines use GL, and some strange optimizations with GL at that.

So nVidia has long held DX and GL to both be "primary" APIs on their cards and done a great job optimizing them. They basically run at completely equal speed and have for a long time, and all features work in either. AMD (and ATi before them) have not had as much focus on their GL drivers. They are there, but they aren't necessarily as fast as their DX drivers. Games with dual stack implementations (like Earth 2150) would run faster in DX mode than GL mode on AMD hardware, though the same speed on nVidia hardware.

That causes issues with iD Tech games, since OpenGL is their one and only API. So they've never been that good on AMD/ATi hardware.

This is made worse in Rage with the texture streaming shit. It is just not that easy to make work really well on a PC for various reasons. Hence AMD's slower OpenGL is an even bigger issue than it might otherwise be.

Definitely. I see this quite a bit with emulators that use multiple APIs for their various plugins. What's funny is that AMD sells professional GL cards. I haven't used them extensively (though I have had the odd AMD workstation card in work machines) but I would think that (provided they don't suck) they could get some of that expertise to work on their game-oriented drivers. -shrugs-
 
GTX770 here running from an SSD and have no issues at all. Could the game be better? Yes. But to say its worthless is wrong IMO. Its fun to play! The only thing that bothers me is the quality of the audio. The guns sound pretty bad, but besides that i would recommend it when it goes on sale.
 
No it's not user error, the engine is just badly programmed. The pop in exists on my system. Maybe playing at a lower setting fixes the situation but at custom ultra it's definitely visible.

I don't have texture pop-in at all with everything maxed out.

Maybe you need to not run it off of your platter drive and run it from your Samsung 830's
 
This game is SO MUCH FUN!!! Yes there are minor texture popup issues but seriously, who cares?? It's not cutting edge or perfect, what game is?

It's fun for any old-skool gamer like myself that grew up playing the original Wolfenstein.
 
I watched TB's video (he runs dual Titans) and I saw noticeable texture popping even on his rig. So yeah, it's still a problem.
 
The game gives a good illusion of old school shooter but in reality plays like call of duty. You move slow as snails, enemies have hitscan weapons and when you combine these two you can't dodge bullets and can't take much hits so it becomes a cover shooter. Weapons are boring and dual wield doesn't make them any less dull. Nonsensical unlocks because cod. Ammo and armour doesn't autopickup so you need to click click click... after every battle, gets old really fast.

Atleast there is a new Serious Sam game coming so we will have a new proper shooter.
 
Ok, so I've spent about 3 hours with the game so far.

The Bad:
The Rage engine. It didn't look current in 2011, and it certainly doesn't look current now. On the whole, Wolfenstein seems to make minor improvements, but it's not Metro: Last Light. Would have loved to have seen this with Unreal Engine 4 - the art direction actually seems pretty good to me.

Here's what made the game playable for me:
In your Steam launch options:
+com_skipIntroVideo 1

In game, bring up the console (Ctrl + Alt + ~)
bind o "r_multisamples 4"
bind p "vt_maxAniso 16"

Unfortunately, these settings don't seem to stick, so you have to bind them and then mash the two buttons when you load a level or respawn. It sounds like a pain, but it works and I don't even think about it anymore.

Why the programmers couldn't have taken an additional 6 hours to stuff AA and AF into the graphics settings is beyond me.

The Good:
If you can live with some of the technical issues (sucks, I know :(), there's actually a downright decent shooter underneath. The gunplay has a fun, satisfying feel to it. Unlike something like Dishonored, you don't get punished for switching it up between stealth and guns-blazing, and both approaches can be equally fun to boot. Some of the gameplay elements are surprisingly fresh, and playing through the first level of Wolf 3D is awesome.
 
Atleast there is a new Serious Sam game coming so we will have a new proper shooter.

I think I'm like 2/3 of the way through Serious Sam 3. WAY too much of a good thing. The endless waves of monsters has a retro charm to it... for the first hour. After that I was perpetually exhausted and begging for it to be over. I'm slowly chewing my way towards the end. Hopefully before the end of the year :rolleyes:
 
I watched TB's video (he runs dual Titans) and I saw noticeable texture popping even on his rig. So yeah, it's still a problem.

from numerous forums I have been reading. I guess it's because they are hitting the vram limit.

It could explain why some people with the same video cards aren't having the issue. Maybe some people are running the game with multi-monitors exceeding vram limits.

Now I am not saying thats the issue, but it seems from what people are saying it is the reason for the texture popping.
 
So any of you guys who were early Wolfenstein adopters with the early pre-order receive or have access to the new Doom Beta?

So many games have drawn in my attention, this, word on new Doom Beta and Watchdogs coming out on 27th for us Aussies. Yum.
 
So any of you guys who were early Wolfenstein adopters with the early pre-order receive or have access to the new Doom Beta?

So many games have drawn in my attention, this, word on new Doom Beta and Watchdogs coming out on 27th for us Aussies. Yum.

I got a code for the Doom4 beta.
The actual beta won't be out for a while.
The web page doesn't even let you register for the beta yet.
 
Any information on crossfire support?

If AMD treats this game like Rage, you might see it in a year. In fact, I don't know if there is even Crossfire support for Rage today.

I am using my NVidia PC to play this game. I'm not even going to attempt it on my Crossfired PC.
 
I don't have texture pop-in at all with everything maxed out.

Maybe you need to not run it off of your platter drive and run it from your Samsung 830's

50GB game on my SSDs? I don't think so. They should've straighten that out in development.
 
Lack of AA and AF is jarring. No texture pop in issues. Would've preferred higher fps as well. Haven't played a 60 fps shooter in ages. Worth the 40 I paid for it.
 
What drivers was he using? NVIDIA has Wolfenstein-specific drivers in beta.

Didn't say. He posted the video May 19th, and I'm not sure where these new drivers are but on nVidia's page the latest beta release was on April 7th.
 
Lack of AA and AF is jarring. No texture pop in issues. Would've preferred higher fps as well. Haven't played a 60 fps shooter in ages. Worth the 40 I paid for it.

See my reply above for how to add AF and AA. It's not ideal, but it works.
 
Has anyone found a really good tweak guide for this game yet? Everything I've found has lines to add or modify with either no or very little explanation of what the heck they do. I've got an i7 with a GTX 780 and I'd like to max this thing out (minus AA).
 
Back
Top