Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Performance Review @ [H]

Thanks for the review fellas! Hard to dethrone the King, usually 30-35% faster than Vega 64, now cut back to 10%. Strong showing by AMD, kudos to the driver team! Makes me feel good about my new Vega's on the way!
That was Vega 64, Vega 64 Liquid Cool is some what faster (y)

That was Vega 64, Vega 64 Liquid Cool is some what faster (y)

same can be said about AIB 1080Ti. right?.

I can say without question your crashes are because the newer drivers than 17.7.2 have major issues with our cards. That game was driving me crazy until i removed the driver check and played with the older driver. Async Compute seems to give my card a nice boost with zero crashes now.​

I agree.. and not only in that game with anything newer than 17.7.2 I found a repeatable behavior in certain games (worse of all Mass Effect Andromeda and DOOM) where alt+tab and return to game can cause a system-lock-up or game crash. to avoid it Windowed full screen should be used.

Since the game is native Vulkan, when can we see this native on Linux? All the hard work is already done... and as we have seen with DOOM (2016), id Vulkan engines run flawlessly on Linux (with very little effort).

Seriously, it takes so little effort to get DOOM (2016) working on Linux, it doesn't make sense they don't want to sell to Linux users. They would maybe spend half a day to release native, and the amount of native sales would grossly turn the venture profitable.

I haven't tried Wolf 2 on Linux just yet, but... again... the DOOM example... c'mon...
I agree, it's sad that they don't support Linux. They've got it into their heads that Linux users don't buy games which is of course a faulty assumption.

I don't think 4GB 1080 availability was very widespread...
if you mean in the market most of the 2013-2016 from AMD had 4GB, all the midrange, to "high end" maxwell and older generation were 4GB<

wasnt one of the best selling from nvidia the 970980/960 with 4GB or less in 2015?

Last edited:
if you mean in the market most of the 2013-2016 from AMD had 4GB, all the midrange, to "high end" maxwell and older generation were 4GB<

wasnt most of the best selling from nvidia the 970980/960 with 4GB or less in 2015?

Sorry, I misread what you posted above- I thought you meant a GTX1080 with 4GB VRAM :D

Are the Nvidia frame times truly jittery as fuck? Me thinks they need some driver work.

Also GPU Culling in this case in a fine grained mechanism that removes individual, invisible triangles. For instance, the back of a model. Beefier GPU's here probably have enough geometry throughput that it's just not a performance win.

yes there are new version, you need 17.11.1 /17.10.3 now to play wolfenstein with the update2
Oh those newer drivers guaranteed to crash your game(For RX580 cards)....Ill take the problem free high performance 17.7.2 lol....I NEVER had so many headaches in my life over new Garbage drivers. (and its not like im using a discontinued card!)

Oh those newer drivers guaranteed to crash your game(For RX580 cards)....Ill take the problem free high performance 17.7.2 lol....I NEVER had so many headaches in my life over new Garbage drivers. (and its not like im using a discontinued card!)
So far for me, no issues, playing a wide range of games from a vast time period. Knock on wood.

Are the Nvidia frame times truly jittery as fuck? Me thinks they need some driver work.

Also GPU Culling in this case in a fine grained mechanism that removes individual, invisible triangles. For instance, the back of a model. Beefier GPU's here probably have enough geometry throughput that it's just not a performance win.
I thought about commenting on that as well, but since Brent didn't mention it I gathered it didn't directly affect visual performance. But those frame time graphs looked terrible on Nvidias with AMDs looking a lot better.

So far for me, no issues, playing a wide range of games from a vast time period. Knock on wood.
I get it.....the problems dont effect Vega....But im gonna be pissed if the issue turns up in the next whql release

I get it.....the problems dont effect Vega....But im gonna be pissed if the issue turns up in the next whql release
Wait I am not sure whether Vega isn't affected or I am just lucky and not playing the same games. For instance I have played Wolfenstien here but never tried tabbing out like the other poster having lockup issues doing so.

3DADF4FB9E299F57B66F85EE2DF85E570681240C

I think my 580 handles this game just fine at Max settings with VSR@1440p. I have to have Vsync On or the tearing is really bad in this game!

I think my 580 handles this game just fine at Max settings with VSR@1440p. I have to have Vsync On or the tearing is really bad in this game!
Vsync ran poorly with my 100hz monitor. It kept dropping to 50hz every so often. With Vsync off it maintained 140-160fps. I think Vsync was broke for me, at least when I played 2weeks ago.

Something new, at least for me in this game.
  • Driver CHILL setting under the game profile has a min and max setting
  • I put it within my monitor FreeSynch range and it works perfectly in keeping frame rates in range with FreeSync working
  • Game is uber smooth now, zero tearing
Driver Frame limiter does not work in this game as a note

Something new, at least for me in this game.
  • Driver CHILL setting under the game profile has a min and max setting
  • I put it within my monitor FreeSynch range and it works perfectly in keeping frame rates in range with FreeSync working
  • Game is uber smooth now, zero tearing
Driver Frame limiter does not work in this game as a note
the game has its own frame limiter now, noticed when I started it up this morning.

the game has its own frame limiter now, noticed when I started it up this morning.
hmmm, will have to check that out. Earlier before using chill I used Vsync then later Vsync would cause it to crash. Now Chill keeps it perfectly between the frame rates I select, I could just set min and max at 60fps and it will hold 60fps unless the card can't maintain that speed. Never thought I would use Chill but in this game it allows perfect FreeSync.

This game can look uber stunning at times! Very fun game, about ready to go through another play through.

The graphics quality is just stunning for the kind of performance you can get out of modest hardware, it's quite crazy how optimized idTech 6 engine is.

Probably the same people we'd see racing to Wal-Mart in a Viper. Seriously, it ought to be an obvious waste to even use a 1080TI for 1080p on anything. 1440p/4k or nothing for them. That's what they're made for.
Not if you like playing at >144 Hz.

This. It can take a lot of horsepower to run some games at 144 FPS. I'll take 1920*1080 @ 144 over 4K at 60 any day. To each their own. I'd own a 1080 Ti to power my 144hz monitor if I could afford it.

This. It can take a lot of horsepower to run some games at 144 FPS. I'll take 1920*1080 @ 144 over 4K at 60 any day. To each their own. I'd own a 1080 Ti to power my 144hz monitor if I could afford it.

The sacrifice of colors isn’t always worth it on a 144hz monitor.

Let's compromise: I'll take 3440x1440 @ 120Hz w/IPS panel instead ;)

You have an AMD FX 9590 and a 144hz monitor? I would recommend a more capable gaming cpu first for high frame rates, a.k.a Intel. That cpu is too limited for anything over 60hz, for example my FX 9590 with DDR3 2400 ram at 2300 something (unstable at 2400mhz) 4.9ghz in GTAV, SLI 1070's was limited to around 70fps, didn't matter the resolution. Ryzen took that over 100 fps, Intel would probably do better in that scenario as in 7700K etc.

So the new patch alomg with latest drivers makes WTC faster on Vega than 1080Ti at all the resolutions. There is also a way to turn on 8k textures. I have maybe played 90 min so far. I guess its time to finish this game when i get home this afternoon.

So the new patch alomg with latest drivers makes WTC faster on Vega than 1080Ti at all the resolutions. There is also a way to turn on 8k textures. I have maybe played 90 min so far. I guess its time to finish this game when i get home this afternoon.
My testing so far with 17.11.2 havent had any crashes....They got it right this time!
4C0A1FF6C98758984CD0980EF31EDCBBDCDBAF36

I do play at 144 Hz but at 1440p. Sure the TI usually tops 90-120 for demanding games in ultra but bring it back even one or two settings and I'm over 144fps for most things.

"Not if you like playing at >144 Hz."

A 1080Ti won't necessarily give enough to get you to 1080p/144hz, you become more CPU dependent for that. At that point it can become complicated to include various cpu/ram/mobo config's to achieve 144 or even 165hz.

Last edited:

The way that the 1080/1080TI's are designed, they actually kick it up a notch in 1440p/4k. Something in the firmware doesn't fully kick in at 1080p. 1440p/4k and the throttle fully opens. I can't say for 1070ti or less. but I can for them since I own both and have tested on a 1080p/120hz monitor. My 4c/8t w/ the TI and 6c/12t w/ 1080 SLI and I get best results at 1440p or higher. The Vega 64's are known at this point for owning it in 1080p but the NV X80's take over for past 1080p.

Right tool for the right job.

Last edited:
Let's compromise: I'll take 3440x1440 @ 120Hz w/IPS panel instead ;)

I've actually been keeping an eye on these kinds of panels as a possible replacement for my 27" 1440p 144hz g-sync. I've noticed that I can't really tell the difference between 120-144hz. My TI seems close to a perfect match with it but I think a compromise of 120hz g-sync in a 21:9 w/ a similar resolution would be even better at 32-34".

Last edited:
The way that the 1080/1080TI's are designed, they actually kick it up a notch in 1440p/4k. Something in the firmware doesn't fully kick in at 1080p. 1440p/4k and the throttle fully opens. I can't say for 1070ti or less. but I can for them since I own both and have tested on a 1080p/120hz monitor. My 4c/8t w/ the TI and 6c/12t w/ 1080 SLI and I get best results at 1440p or higher. The Vega 64's are known at this point for owning it in 1080p but the NV X80's take over for past 1080p.

Right tool for the right job.

Lol!

Wow , a 580 slaps a 1060 badly in this one. 60 Hz is perfectly fine especially in this game. Vulcan always feels super smooth in comparison to DX11-12. I guess frametime makes it a noticeable difference. The alt / tab crash is a OS related issue. I have had it a few times.
Running CMD as admin and sfc /scannow along with a clean intall of the drivers fixes it.

This game runs very nicely in Nvidia Surround, 5760 x 1200 at 100-140 FPS using a single 1080 Ti powering all three screens. (and using FlawlessWidescreen)
I have the game set to Uber, FXAA.
It's too bad it has no SLi (yet) but one Ti pushes the game nicely.................and it's really fun.

Old school Wolfenstein with just a dash of HL2................

Back