• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows XP updates since SP3?

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,273
From time to time I have to do a reinstall of XP and I have SP1 - SP3 saved, but once I get SP3 installed there are usually a lot of other updates that will come up from Windows update. Since Microsoft is dropping support for XP is there a place I can get all of those updates...i.e. for offline installations? Are they available in one large download or do they all have to be individually downloaded.

And yes, I know, upgrade. Well, I have some specific software that will not run on anything newer than XP so on a few computers I must keep XP. :D
 
AFAIK, continued updates past the extended support day will stop. Existing ones will still be there for download.
 
AFAIK, continued updates past the extended support day will stop. Existing ones will still be there for download.

OK, thanks to both of you for the info. I guess I assumed that MS would stop all updates...i.e. if you did a re-install of XP then it would not download the existing updates.

Thanks again!
 
Would be nice if they did a final rollup patch with everything.
I know, but it won't happen. They've only done one rollup, post-SP1, for 7 and it was only enterprise targeted hotfixes. If they won't support the OS that most businesses are moving to, they most certainly won't do one for the OS they want you to get away from.
 
go and grab wsusoffline, run it to get all the updates locally,then you can use it for all your builds/rebuilds.
 
I wish I still had a computer that ran XP. It must be worth a lot at the ancient relics collectors market already.
 
I wish I still had a computer that ran XP. It must be worth a lot at the ancient relics collectors market already.

I have a shitty HP desktop with the original Win98 install on it.. What ya offering? ;)
 
I wish I still had a computer that ran XP. It must be worth a lot at the ancient relics collectors market already.

You underestimate the grip old os's have on some companies. We have an EDM machine that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, It just got USB support and off of windows 3.1 and onto XP. It's this years model...

At another company we have two mail machines, the kind you feed a list of addresses and they label thousands of pieces of mail quickly. This machine is 15 years old, runs windows 98, and runs perfectly fine. We can't just upgrade to win 7, we need to replace the entire machine. Guess how much a replacement costs? $35,000.

These are just a few examples where Old OS's will not die. Looked at the cash register at your local retailers? A lot still run on DOS, scary huh?
 
You underestimate the grip old os's have on some companies. We have an EDM machine that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, It just got USB support and off of windows 3.1 and onto XP. It's this years model...

At another company we have two mail machines, the kind you feed a list of addresses and they label thousands of pieces of mail quickly. This machine is 15 years old, runs windows 98, and runs perfectly fine. We can't just upgrade to win 7, we need to replace the entire machine. Guess how much a replacement costs? $35,000.

These are just a few examples where Old OS's will not die. Looked at the cash register at your local retailers? A lot still run on DOS, scary huh?

I have a lot of customers who still run XP it was a tongue-in-cheek writing. But your story sounds pretty amazing. What reason would any manufacturer have to run XP in a brand new machine that costs 100k+? Someone there is really behind his tasks lol.

Mail sorting machines can run on ancient OS if they're used for a single task and not connected to outside world, that's no problem. But any machine that has internet connectivity or USB is a serious liability running on 98 or XP. 35k is pocket change for a business critical tool by the way. If you're not a mail service you should probably dump those machines anyway and use a mailing service that will convert your messages into snail mail for you. Far more efficient than buying your own equipment and staff to do a job that's not your core business.

I have many customers who are delivering automation systems to different factories and facilities. They say that all current systems have moved to wifi or bluetooth. There are some legacy systems still being outphased that need XP and serial ports for servicing but the amount is declining rapidly.

The bottom line is that if a company is stuck on legacy technology it means they're also not doing research and improving their business, that's usually a slow but sure way to bankrupcy.
 
Back
Top