Windows XP Activation Problem

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
Ok my friend had bought an Everex x5000T Laptop with Vista on it. However, he didn't like Vista so I offered to install XP on it. I used a fresh never before used XP VLK key and an XP VLK CD from my school to install XP on the laptop. I activated it myself, no problems duing activation and that was that.

Now its been 30 days later and some problems have occurred. Everytime its the same thing: He tries to logon and a message box says he needs to activated XP. He clicks "OK" to activate XP, the Windows Product Activation tells hims that XP is already activated and takes back to logon screen where it tells him again that XP needs to be activated. Then it does the same thing again as stated above.

This is a legitimate copy of XP that I obtained from my school that has not been used at all. I tried booting into safe mode but even there XP asks says it should be activated.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Basically, how can I fix this problem where XP says it needs to activated but the Windows Product Activation says that XP is already activated?

Thanks for any help.

Is your friend enrolled at the school that provided the VLK?

If not, then to fix the problem, the friend needs to buy a legit version of the OS.
If yes, then contact the schools IT folks.

That's an unhelpful but quite accurate and legitimate comment. The VLK Windows on that machine is most certainly not a legitimately licensed install!

That said, though, I wouldn't be bothered fiddling around trying to 'fix' it. Back up data, wipe the machine clean ensuring that the drive partition is deleted and then recreated, and then install again fresh. If the problem recurs then it's DEFINITELY time for your friend to go get a legal licensed copy, in practical terms as well as moral/legal ones!

First a VLK for xp does not need to be activated. If you activated it then it wasn't a vlk.

Second I really can't go into this anymore as I consider this as pirate software from how you have defined it.

Best bet is to reinstall with a legit version.

Thanks for the help, people. No worries about it. I contacted the It department at my school and they had provided us OEM XP CDs, not VLK like I originally thought.

Anyway, got frustrated, told my friend to buy a copy of XP for himself and reformated the laptop and installed Linux on it. He's enjoying Ubuntu for now until he gets off his ass and buys a copy of XP.

Again, thanks for the help people. Please lock this thread if needed.

Back