• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows Vista: Beta 2

For the peple with MSDN access, does the Microsoft virtual CD tool for Windows XP not work under Vista?
 
Tetrahedron said:
I got the same type of error for hitman: blood money... missing d3d9***.dll

I had the same problem with Hitman but you can just use the DX9.0c install that comes with Hitman. It wont harm anything and that fixed my problem. My DxDiag still reports DX10.
 
I am sure this has to do with the beta nVidia drivers but has anyone experienced rendering issues inside games with an nVidia card on Vista Beta 2?

I am seeing textures flicker and shaders acting all wierd in Hitman. And in HL2 games there are redraw issues against the skyboxes.
 
Oh well. App compatibility mode didn't help. It still crashes to the desktop when I try to run CSS or HL2. I tried adjusting the settings for HL2.exe by browsing to it as well as adjusting the settings on the steam shortcut @ the desktop.

Screen flashes a few times and poof back to the desktop. I'm not sure why some people can run the game but I can't. My system is fine under XP Home so I know there's nothing wrong with the computer.

I guess this is the sort of wierdness you get out of a beta. lol
 
I installed vista yesterday for the first time I found all the graphics a little overwhelming, the icons are to big and I really dislike the font icons and after 30min of use I get migraines ! Nice interface !

ATI's drivers are really crap, you can't apply any settings though CCC so you might as well just uninstall it and there’s no opengl support, otherwise the whole interface was quite smooth and responsive just a shame its making my eyes go funny . :eek:
 
Shocky said:
I installed vista yesterday for the first time I found all the graphics a little overwhelming, the icons are to big and I really dislike the font icons and after 30min of use I get migraines ! Nice interface !

ATI's drivers are really crap, you can't apply any settings though CCC so you might as well just uninstall it and there’s no opengl support, otherwise the whole interface was quite smooth and responsive just a shame its making my eyes go funny . :eek:
eyes go funny? Must be that cleartype. I don't know which is worse, having it on or having it off. The font they chose looks a little odd with cleartype turned off. It looks a bit blurry with cleartype turned on. I have to look for that cleartype tuner utility. That might help.
 
DigiChaos said:
I am sure this has to do with the beta nVidia drivers but has anyone experienced rendering issues inside games with an nVidia card on Vista Beta 2?
Yep, the 87.98 drivers from Vista Beta 2 and 88.61 (dated 5/24) from nvidia's ftp site have bad rendering issues. Don't bother with 88.61 since it's even more broken than 87.98.

I probably won't mess with any more betas after this one. RC1 should be a lot better.
 
tesfaye said:
eyes go funny? Must be that cleartype. I don't know which is worse, having it on or having it off. The font they chose looks a little odd with cleartype turned off. It looks a bit blurry with cleartype turned on. I have to look for that cleartype tuner utility. That might help.

Yes, you know when your eyes go blury when you got a migraine? Thats what I get with vista..

I'll have to try messing with the fonts or something cuz I really can't use it like this.
 
Tetrahedron said:
I am liking beta 2 very much... though I cant get certain programs installed, mainly daemon-tools and alcohol 120%.. yes i know its beta and everything so I am not mad or anything.

I did the upgrade install. It FORCED me to uninstall it before continuing. I was useing it to mount the image as I have to DVD burner. So I copyed it to the hard drive and ran the upgrade from there. Worked fine.

I did find that any drivers that were missing, I could use the XP drivers with no problems. Vista even downloaded the modem and printer drivers for me as an "update".
 
StinkyMojo said:
What requirements do you need to be part of MSDN?

I don't think there's any restrictions as long as you pay the money they want.

EDIT: Banko beat me to it.
 
is there a website out there that has a list of available software that works with the vista beta's and where to download the 64 bit drivers?
 
Headbust said:
is there a website out there that has a list of available software that works with the vista beta's and where to download the 64 bit drivers?
www.ntcompatible.com
http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista <--Better list in my opinion.

As far as x64 goes, if it's not on the DVD then you need to check the manufacturer. If those two options return zero results then you are out of luck. Microsoft has really stringent requirements for Vista 64 bit when it comes to writing compatible software for that version of the OS so don't expect to see too many drivers being released. In my experience with beta testing MS OSs, most manufacturers don't release drivers for beta releases and usually don't support devices that are more than one to two years old when the OS is finally released.

And finally, I've found that even though a list or reviewer says that X peice of software works it's not always a guarantee.
 
Back
Top