Windows Stuttering/Freezing

Timm

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
Alright so my computer was having some issues with "mini freezes". At first I thought my mouse was biting the dust because it would stop moving for a fraction of a second and then catch up to where it should be which was EXTREMELY annoying. Then I was playing some music and whenever the mouse froze in place the music would stutter. So I told myself it was about time to reinstall my OS and start out fresh.
Well I reinstalled windows (Windows 7) and it was doing the same thing. Sometimes it's not as bad and other times it is god awful. It tends to do it a little more than normal when I have firefox open but even when I'm just watching a movie it happens.
I've been keeping a close eye on my processes and resource usage but my cpu usage has never been over 35% when this happens and my ram usage is usually below 25% because I've been running less to try and avoid the freezing.
So here are my specs

CPU: Q6600
GPU: 4850X2 GB (running 3 monitors @ 1080p)
RAM: 4GB GSkill
Mobo: GA-EP45-UD3R
HDD: 640GB WD (WD6401AALS) and 180GB Samsung
PSU: 750W

My system was running fine up until 4 months ago maybe and between then and now the new additions to my build are the GPU and a new internal WiFi card. The only thing that gets put on the 180gig drive is my OS and programs. My guess is that my problem is stemming from that drive because it came out of my brothers old HP computer and is the only thing in my case that isn't new. I'm not very familiar with hdd issues though and I don't know if it could cause these problems. I'm going to transfer some stuff and free up another drive so I can test my theory but just thought I would post my problem here to see if someone knew what was going on.
Like I said a fresh install of Windows and it was still persisting, so that's why I'm thinking its hardware.

Thanks guys,
Timm

PS Let me know if you need anymore info

I'm working on transferring everything and should be able to reinstall my os on another drive soon.

It was and is a harddrive issue for me. Odd I've got the same problem and tried the same workaround, by doing a fresh install first! Anyway, mine might be caused at least in part by my PSU dying. I never caught it since I game with headphones and it started out during my COD4 matches.. for a while I thought it was internet issues. Few nights later ... i heard my HD spin down and click repeatedly and then come right back to life.. are you hearing anything like that?

Yup I installed my os on the WD drive and all is well. Guess I have an excuse to get a new os hdd now :)

Okay I guess I didn't fix it :/
The only thing that has changed since I fixed the computer is the location. I live in a dorm and I was working on my computer in an area where the internet signal is stronger, and when I moved it back into my room (which is pretty much a dead zone) the problem started back up.
My WiFi card is the newest addition to my rig, but is it possible for it to cause these problems?
Also would the weak signal strength create any problems?
I just think its weird that once it was back in my room the problem started up again.

Anything in the event manager?

Brand of PSU?

I don't believe a weak wireless would have anything to do with it.

I'm thinking like Danny, sure sounds like a HD problem.

I had a ethernet card do this to me, but this was heck... back in win98 days! That's the last I remember something network based freezing up a pc every few seconds.

The PSU brand is Ultimate, and I lied earlier its actually 700W :)
and by Event Manager do you mean Task Manager?
Or is Event Manager a totally different program?

What's the model number of the Ultimate 700W PSU? I have a bad feeling that it's a "generic" PSU, but I don't believe, based on what you've told us thus far, that it's a PSU issue. (If you've had it for more than two years beforehand, however, you may want to consider upgrading it at some point in the future.)

Since you brought up the possibility of the wireless card being suspect, what is the brand and model of the card? Is it a PCI/PCI-E card or does it use the USB port? Have you tried updating it with the latest drivers/firmware? Are you able to move the antenna to a different location?

I meant Event Viewer, sorry.

Here's a little tutorial for Vista but I'm not familiar w7.

It may or may not have anything relevant to your current problem but it's a great tool that you should familiarize yourself with.

The PSU is theRS700-AAAAA3. It came with the Cosmos Black Label Case when I bought it. The PSU has only been used since May, so not long at all.

Also when I was down at the desk I only had 2 of my monitors hooked up, and then hooked all 3 up once I was in my room. I thought that maybe it was the GPU but after hooking up only 2 monitors again, the problem still persists. Right now I have firefox up with 5 tabs open, Media Player (so I can tell when the comp stutters), utorrent, and Trillian (instant messaging software). When it takes more than a second or two to load a page in firefox the problem seems to get a tad worse.

The WiFi card is ENLWI-N.

How much/often do you use utorrent? Where is the actual router (that you're connected to) located? (Does the router use Wireless-N or Wireless-G?)

I have utorrent running 24/7 but this isn't new. I thought that it might be causing my problem but when I closed Utorrent the problem still persisted.
The router is down the hall from me (maybe 65 feet away) and it is Wireless-G.
I've noticed that when I disconnect from the WiFi that I don't really have the problem.

I've noticed that when I disconnect from the WiFi that I don't really have the problem.

Then why wouldn't you think that was the problem? :confused:

No way to run a solid line for troubleshooting or try another card?

Then why wouldn't you think that was the problem? :confused:

No way to run a solid line for troubleshooting or try another card?

Well that is a pretty new find. I noticed that after 4:00 this morning, but I also didn't see how the card could make the entire computer freeze for a second.
I don't have an extra card lying around and I'm trying to get a friends usb adapter to work on my comp but that isn't going over very well.

Ok so this time I left utorrent open and just stopped the torrent I had running, and the stutters were less frequent but still there. Would this still point towards the WiFi Card?

Back