Windows Mobile On The iPhone

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that a Norwegian guy has come up with a way to get Windows Mobile working on his iPhone. The guy says the software is in beta but works very well. I can almost hear what you guys are thinking right now…“why?” None the less, it is still funny seeing Windows Mobile running on an iPhone.

I suddenly want one! :eek: (The dual-boot, specifically.)
Can we triple-boot Linux on there as well? :p

Why would you want to do that?

As a strictly touch-screen interface, Windows Mobile sucks at life.

Still have issues with it locking up, needing to be reset once a week, not super user-friendly, sucks battery life. That's even with 6.1. And that's on every version of Treo that runs WM, as well as some other devices like HTC.

I got to love her comment asking if they don't have girlfriends in his country.

Anyway this is pretty interesting. Would like to see how it plays out.

I use a Sprint Mogule (PPC6800) with WM 6.1. Without the slide out keyboard, it can be a pain to use. The on screen keyboard is pretty much impossible to use without a stylus. The interface was designed to use a stylus, where the iPhone OS was designed to use multitouch. WM has a ways to go before it could be considered user friendly. But, it syncs with Exchange like no other.

Still have issues with it locking up, needing to be reset once a week, not super user-friendly, sucks battery life. That's even with 6.1. And that's on every version of Treo that runs WM, as well as some other devices like HTC.

I'm going to guess you haven't used an iPhone. I have to reboot mine every few days as well when it hangs. I don't even have many apps or other data on it.

I'd be curious as to how you can reset a hard lockup since you can't pull the iphone battery :)

The main problem I see with this is that it will be just like any other windows mobile phone minus features.

Sounds to me like your phone just sucks, I have had my WM phone for over a year now. never needs reset like that. Battery lasts almost two weeks unless i use the holy fuck out of the phone.

But i blame Samsung for making a good phone though

Now if they could change the Windows Mobile default interface into a Windows Mobile HTC Touch Diamond interface, I'm so there.

I want an HTC Touch Diamond but AT&T isn't picking it up yet and I don't want to shell out $700 for it. But if I get this iPhone and convert it into a Touch Diamond, I'll be happy :D

That's awesome! I love the Windows Mobile OS. It works great on my BlackJack II, and I usually go about 5 days to a week between charges.

ROFL about the girlfriend question!! Perfect response : "They program too..."

I think she was trying to pick him up

Sounds to me like your phone just sucks, I have had my WM phone for over a year now. never needs reset like that. Battery lasts almost two weeks unless i use the holy fuck out of the phone.

But i blame Samsung for making a good phone though

Seconded here for my Moto Q9c. To be fair, I don't do all the business stuff with my phone which may be why I don't have any problems. I talk, text, browse the web, watch Youtube, play music and video on WMP, and play games on it.

I got to love her comment asking if they don't have girlfriends in his country.
That was a good response, much better than my, "Shut the fuck up you insinuating herped-up ♥♥♥♥. I get girls AND I can code!" *punches reporter in the face*

Hehe, maybe it's me but I def thought the reporter was trying to poke fun at him, and she reminded me of all the fuckin tools that made fun of the dude with the 36 WoW accounts.

Now if they could change the Windows Mobile default interface into a Windows Mobile HTC Touch Diamond interface, I'm so there.

I want an HTC Touch Diamond but AT&T isn't picking it up yet and I don't want to shell out $700 for it. But if I get this iPhone and convert it into a Touch Diamond, I'll be happy :D

That's the phone I'm waiting for also. I heard there is an andriod version in the works also.

I'd be curious as to how you can reset a hard lockup since you can't pull the iphone battery :)

Hold down the power and home buttons for a couple seconds to reset from a lockup. Had to do this a couple times with the prior shitty 2.0 firmware.

I'm going to guess you haven't used an iPhone. I have to reboot mine every few days as well when it hangs. I don't even have many apps or other data on it.
Wouldn't surprise me to be honest, but no- I have not used the iPhone over multiple weeks at a time to really judge how often you've got to reset it. Thought it was just a one-time glitch the time it happened to me.

If you'd go back and re-read it... This is on MANY models of phones. Not just my personal one. It's universal.
And there isn't any way that a touch-screen Windows Mobile phone is going to last much longer than a day (maybe two) if you're actually using it for business use. This includes text, email, phone calls, and web browsing.
I'd concur of it lasting a week- if you don't use it for what it's actually designed to be used for.

Ok, so could it be done? WinCE has supported ARM forever, so if you had the drivers for the iPhone's hardware, you could compile a WinCE core that might run on it. But thats the trick of it. You would need the hardware drivers to accomplish the task. And there is a little more, but I'm not going to go into detail of that here.

His comment about open source is way off. You need to license the WinCE OS, and I dont see Microsoft turning that into an open source product any time soon. Maybe the build and the drivers could be, but not the core that you would need to make the actual image.

Then there would be getting it out there... So IF someone had the drivers and the knowledge to attach them all up into a core build, what would be released is more like how XBMC is done.

That sounds really strange, you try doing a restore on it? The only time I ever had hangs was back when the 2.0 software was on it. That thing was a disaster.

Hold down the power and home buttons for a couple seconds to reset from a lockup. Had to do this a couple times with the prior shitty 2.0 firmware.

It's the same concept with a WM phone, but sometimes not even that works, to the point you have to remove the battery.

If you'd go back and re-read it... This is on MANY models of phones. Not just my personal one. It's universal.
And there isn't any way that a touch-screen Windows Mobile phone is going to last much longer than a day (maybe two) if you're actually using it for business use. This includes text, email, phone calls, and web browsing.
I'd concur of it lasting a week- if you don't use it for what it's actually designed to be used for.

No you said your many models of Treo's which suck hardware-wise anyway. Then you mentioned in an off-hand matter that some HTC's might be affected. But you don't really know, do you? So I'm gonna go with user-error in your case. WM6 is no angel, but it's no pig either.

I have to agree, I can make it through the day on my HTC 6800 on a charge, but that's about it. If I start streaming shit with orb or listening to music on 1.fm, it gets shorter.

But as for needing to reset it daily, you must be off your rocker. I go weeks at a time without reseting mine. Of course, It could all depend on what you have installed on your phone. Maybe Microsoft should control WM like Apple does with the iPhone where only Apple approved software can be used in it. Oh wait.. openness is the big lure to WM. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too eh?

It could also be a driver doing it as well. Who knows... but I guess it's all Microsoft's fault right?

It's the same concept with a WM phone, but sometimes not even that works, to the point you have to remove the battery.
Exactly. I guess you could just wait until the iPhone battery runs dry.
Even handier is a hard-reset button to push with the Stylus of a WM phone ;)

No you said your many models of Treo's which suck hardware-wise anyway. Then you mentioned in an off-hand matter that some HTC's might be affected. But you don't really know, do you? So I'm gonna go with user-error in your case. WM6 is no angel, but it's no pig either.
All WM Treos. Treo OS Treos are fine.
The Mogul and Touch for HTC.

Same results on all of them.

But as for needing to reset it daily, you must be off your rocker. I go weeks at a time without reseting mine. Of course, It could all depend on what you have installed on your phone.
I never said daily... Daily is a good preventative measure, I'd say though.
But mine is at least weekly.

I don't blame Microsoft entirely, but in general the sucky phones here in the US that can't run WM effectively. But since the phones don't seem inclined to change, I'd more rather see Microsoft change Windows Mobile, and also come up with a decent UI that isn't so "deep".

Maybe Ill beable to use my iPhone for more than a conversation piece now

A: Is that an iPhone you have?
B: Ya, its ok.
A: OK, it looks sweet can I see it?
B: Ya, knock yourself out
A: This is cool, o look, the internet looks cool, but I think your phone is acting up, the internets all slow
B: Nope, its actually moving pretty fast.
A. O. Hey look, (GAME NAME HERE), sweet! (CLICKS GAME) Whats with the apple logo?
B: O, thats the reset feature they put in every app. Keeps you from having the phone on for too long without a problem, this kinda evens the field.
A: O, ok. Why does it take a minute to open your contacts menu? Youve only got 30 numbers?
B.....
A: How come your texts lag like Crysis on my old Dell?
B.....
A: You mean you cant even do picture mail? No videos? Youtube looks like ass, Whyd you pay so much for this thing?
B:.... So, did you know that [H] is hosting a free video card giveaway? Lets go check that!
A:... ??

Thats kinda how every single conversation about my phone goes, and I always end the same way, dont get an iphone yet, still too many problems

Still have issues with it locking up, needing to be reset once a week, ... sucks battery life.
Sounds like my iPhone 3G. I have Exchange push enabled for email and a Gmail account pulling every 15 minutes, and I'm lucky if I get two days out of it.

The most annoying thing is hitting some things, like SMS, will cause it to pause on a blank screen for five or so seconds.

The internet browsing is a million times better than any other phone out there, but there are still screwy things. Like hitting back causes a page to be completely reloaded, which is slow.

Or how the signal will drop out and/or change between Edge and 3G while just sitting there.

<3 my tilt with a custom WM 6.1 OS on it. Very fast and the battery life isn't bad. The HTC Touch Pro is very tempting and should be coming to AT&T soon :) And for one I am actually pretty satisfied with AT&T. Tons of people don't like 'em, and I will admit I liked them more before Cingular purchased 'em, but still I like AT&T better than some other phone companies out there (especially anything CDMA).
Jason

Where did you hear this? I've never heard of a case where doing a hard reset on the iPhone by holding the home and power buttons doesn't work. Lord knows it would be a big story if people had to wait for their whole charge to drain, especially since the battery is sealed in the phone.

Totally Fake.. There would be no way the touch screen would work without the iPod/iPhone OS loading drivers for it to even select what OS to boot into. The touch screen requires the proper .kext driver file to even work.

Totally Fake.. There would be no way the touch screen would work without the iPod/iPhone OS loading drivers for it to even select what OS to boot into. The touch screen requires the proper .kext driver file to even work.

There is also a driver needed to display stuff, not just on the iPhone but also for PCs. Boot loaders have drivers too, yet I don't know anyone that screams "fake" every time grub (which has ethernet drivers + dhcp) starts up ;)

you clearly havent been exposed to the "can it run linux" community.

I use a Sprint Mogule (PPC6800) with WM 6.1. Without the slide out keyboard, it can be a pain to use. The on screen keyboard is pretty much impossible to use without a stylus. The interface was designed to use a stylus, where the iPhone OS was designed to use multitouch. WM has a ways to go before it could be considered user friendly. But, it syncs with Exchange like no other.

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46278

Back