Windows just works and Other OS improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it is a fact, if something does not just work because you run into a problem, then nothing just works, including Linux, just the facts, whether they are liked or not.

So much zero sum thinking here. Sometimes stuff does work, that's life. If Linux did the things I wanted and needed and were as trouble free as some of its proponents say, if Linux were an OS I could use, the "McDonald's" crowd would easily adopt it and quickly. Because why not? No malware, no failures, 100% perfect and all the software available for expensive, crappy full of malware and spyware Windows. One day one of such a thing I'd just make sure I had all may data, wipe Windows, install Linux and go from there. For me not even an issue, as long as all of the support for things I paid for and need and want are there. The OS just isn't that big of deal.

Windows 7 was great for 8 years ago. Today it's just really in step with consumer computing. And I know that some feel the desktop is the desktop but that's just not enough today I think. For me, 7 doesn't work with enough hardware and software that I have now that 7 is pointless for me personally.
Really? Weird, there are huge games and such using 7 just fine? Just because it doesn't auto update, or auto boot for updates, or spy on every keystroke, means it isn't great? It doesn't have the spyware/virus's that 8.1 and now 10 have, but it still works perfect for games. DX12, no, but then not really anything anyways.

Really? Weird, there are huge games and such using 7 just fine? Just because it doesn't auto update, or auto boot for updates, or spy on every keystroke, means it isn't great? It doesn't have the spyware/virus's that 8.1 and now 10 have, but it still works perfect for games. DX12, no, but then not really anything anyways.

If you're not using Windows 10 heavily then you'll miss things. For instance, Steam's 360 VR video streaming, Windows 10 x86 only. And this is Steam we're talking about. Whatever people are saying of DX 12, well, there are games that use it, a few good ones even. I use Windows 2 in 1s and tablets, I used those with Windows 7 and there's no way I'd use those under 7 these days. And things like high DPI support. It's a situation of death by a thousand cuts. Windows 7 is great for what Windows 7 was designed to do. If that's works for you then it does and I've never argued that. But please don't tell me that Windows 7 is clearly the better choice for the latest and greatest, it's just not.

Again, I just want to use my hardware for what I want and need. I didn't spend a lot of money on hardware in the last couple of years only to see "Windows 7 not supported." That's just how it's always been with Windows or anything else typically.

If you're not using Windows 10 heavily then you'll miss things. For instance, Steam's 360 VR video streaming, Windows 10 x86 only. And this is Steam we're talking about. Whatever people are saying of DX 12, well, there are games that use it, a few good ones even. I use Windows 2 in 1s and tablets, I used those with Windows 7 and there's no way I'd use those under 7 these days. And things like high DPI support. It's a situation of death by a thousand cuts. Windows 7 is great for what Windows 7 was designed to do. If that's works for you then it does and I've never argued that. But please don't tell me that Windows 7 is clearly the better choice for the latest and greatest, it's just not.

Again, I just want to use my hardware for what I want and need. I didn't spend a lot of money on hardware in the last couple of years only to see "Windows 7 not supported." That's just how it's always been with Windows or anything else typically.
I did not know the high end hardware did not support 7. Hope those Titan X and 1080ti owners can at least play a few games.
DX12 IIRC only showed a few % or even lost some in certain games. Nothing worth noting.

I did not know the high end hardware did not support 7. Hope those Titan X and 1080ti owners can at least play a few games.
DX12 IIRC only showed a few % or even lost some in certain games. Nothing worth noting.

If Windows 7 works for you and others then great. It doesn't support all the things I want anymore. I have games that run better or only under DX 12 and tablets and 2 in 1 devices that are pointless under 7. And a lot of other little things. We get into all of this arguments over this stuff but in a place like this, people know what they want and what works typically. Not really a big deal.

That is what happens when Nvidia does not even truly support Direct X12 despite their claims to the contrary. Eventually, they will have hardware that fully supports it but, not at this time. (Their existing hardware is more like DX11 with DX12 stuff tacked on at the end.) You also know exactly what he meant but hey, lets pretend otherwise.

That is what happens when Nvidia does not even truly support Direct X12 despite their claims to the contrary. Eventually, they will have hardware that fully supports it but, not at this time. (Their existing hardware is more like DX11 with DX12 stuff tacked on at the end.) You also know exactly what he meant but hey, lets pretend otherwise.
You mean the new cpu's not being able to run or whatever on 7? That has been fixed I thought? You see, people have to resort to fixing MS's mistakes and then some. Seems like the 3rd party software for 10 is just growing as they try and take our control away.

You mean the new cpu's not being able to run or whatever on 7? That has been fixed I thought? You see, people have to resort to fixing MS's mistakes and then some. Seems like the 3rd party software for 10 is just growing as they try and take our control away.

LOL, you did not even say what I said or even responded to it so, why did you even quote the post. Oh, and who said anything about the newest cpu's running on an ancient OS anyways? Not me.

Ah well, I have no issues with my Windows 10 just working or so far, any of the systems I have serviced with it directly either. That is the OS itself anyways. It just works dude, you do not have to agree and obviously, you do not. Crazy thing is, I said Windows just works, period.

Guess who most likely mentioned Windows 10 in specifically first. Hint: It was not me.

LOL, you did not even say what I said or even responded to it so, why did you even quote the post. Oh, and who said anything about the newest stuff running on an ancient OS anyways? Not me.
Of course not, because it runs fine. :)

Of course not, because it runs fine. :)

Installing the latest update on my Lumia 950. :) Windows Mobile just works, as long as I stay off the insider path. (The hardware, on the other hand, had not but then again, that is why I have a new one now.) Just wish MS had not killed it off but, there is nothing I can do about it now or could have done about it anyways. Not a fan of Android at all but, at least it just works as well and has what I need on it.

This isn't just about those kinds of issues. I mentioned earlier, even Steam's own 360 VR streaming currently is Windows 10 x64 only. Windows 7 is 8 years old, it's simply going to die off like 8 year tech that isn't called Windows normally does in the consumer space.

This isn't just about those kinds of issues. I mentioned earlier, even Steam's own 360 VR streaming currently is Windows 10 x64 only. Windows 7 is 8 years old, it's simply going to die off like 8 year tech that isn't called Windows normally does in the consumer space.

Not a VR person and I do not plan too. (Motion sickness is the worst.) It is good to see the latest and greatest also supporting the latest and the greatest fully. Guess Gabe does not think Windows is the devil anymore, or something to that effect. And it just works? (Do you have any issues with the newest Steam VR stuff and if you do, it is just a cutting edge thing or a new update issue that needs to be supported?)

No, the reason it's 10 only is because they made it that way. :)
It would run just fine if they ran it on 7. Nice try. :)

Not a VR person and I do not plan too. (Motion sickness is the worst.) It is good to see the latest and greatest also supporting the latest and the greatest fully. Guess Gabe does not think Windows is the devil anymore, or something to that effect. And it just works? (Do you have any issues with the newest Steam VR stuff and if you do, it is just a cutting edge thing or a new update issue that needs to be supported?)
I actually think doing the VR games that involve heights like windlands, has made my fear of heights just a bit less. I can play the game way longer than when I started.
My kids think I am crazy when I laugh at their 2D games. :)

No, the reason it's 10 only is because they made it that way. :)
It would run just fine if they ran it on 7. Nice try. :)

Ok. But it doesn't and that was Valve's decision, not mine. You've not done this, this has nothing to do with anything you've posted that I know of, but I get called a paid Microsoft shill constantly, but I'm not, I work for what I little I have. All I want to do get all out of the latest and greatest stuff when I buy it. Is that so hard to understand? If you think Windows 7 is that route fine, I simply have and use too many things that will not work well with it Windows 7. And when I point out a brand new example from Steam of all places, well it could. Ok, it could and I don't care because it does with what I'm using.

Nope, Windows is not flawed but, then again, it does not really matter one way or the other. :D Oh, and I had the exact same issue on an Windows 7 computer yesterday which meant the issue was on the server end. Linux is hardly error or problem free so but hey, why acknowledge facts when you can just ignore them.

Edit: And I am certain you had, have or will have problems even with you Linux installation sooner or later. Nothing is 100% perfect when it comes to man made stuff.

So, Microsft just wasted couple of hours of my time while I troubleshoot their problem? Nice.

Oh, and to reiterate right from the start, Windows and the Other Operating Systems just work. Sure, there are problems just like any other man made tech but, if something just working means there is no problems at all, then that means that nothing at all just works, and that means NOTHING! ;)

You're repeating that mantra like a religious person in distress. What's bothering you? You Windows folks are so poor that you even had to steal the mantra just works from Apple lol. Couldn't make even that up yourself. Of course in the case of OSX it's actually true unlike Windows.

So, Microsft just wasted couple of hours of my time while I troubleshoot their problem? Nice.

Dude, problems happen, do you bitch every single time some minor little issue occurs? Clearly, you do, this is the internet after all. Whatever floats your boat..... :D

Dude, problems happen, do you bitch every single time some minor little issue occurs? Clearly, you do, this is the internet after all. Whatever floats your boat..... :D

You do realise that while the two of you are quick to throw around the phrase 'personal insult' like some form of protective shield, the only person here really on the defensive is yourself?

Last edited:
You do realise that while the two of you are quick to throw around the phrase 'personal insult' like some form of protective shield, the only person here really on the defensive is yourself?

Standard response from you, especially when there is no evidence of the post you quoted and in which you did not respond to. But hey, this is my thread, if you do not like it, you can always move along. If not, you can just continue being you. :D

Ok. But it doesn't and that was Valve's decision, not mine. You've not done this, this has nothing to do with anything you've posted that I know of, but I get called a paid Microsoft shill constantly, but I'm not, I work for what I little I have. All I want to do get all out of the latest and greatest stuff when I buy it. Is that so hard to understand? If you think Windows 7 is that route fine, I simply have and use too many things that will not work well with it Windows 7. And when I point out a brand new example from Steam of all places, well it could. Ok, it could and I don't care because it does with what I'm using.
I am stating I have run 7 and 10, and there is 0 difference for gaming and browsing. I also don't have to run 3rd party software to rid the OS of virus's/spyware or make it work how I like it.(play games/browse mostly)

Standard response from you, especially when there is no evidence of the post you quoted and in which you did not respond to. But hey, this is my thread, if you do not like it, you can always move along. If not, you can just continue being you. :D

The 'post I quoted'? WTF are you on about?

Here you are trying to claim you aren't on the defensive and in the same sentence you attack me by claiming that I can just "continue being me!" How odd?!

I hear that. If he bitched every time there was a problem with windows, he would be going non stop. :)
The 'post I quoted'? WTF are you on about?

Here you are trying to claim you aren't on the defensive and in the same sentence you attack me by claiming that I can just "continue being me!" How odd?!
Give them a break! It's a tough job defending MS!(impossible really?)

I hear that. If he bitched every time there was a problem with windows, he would be going non stop. :)

Give them a break! It's a tough job defending MS!(impossible really?)

You guys keep trying really hard to steer this thread off the rails and as yet, have not been successful. :D Windows just works, that is the plain and simple truth, facts are facts but hey, common sense is the new hate speech. :D My machines have not in any crashed, spied on me or caused me undo angst but hey, I also have already dialed in my overclock and am done until the next bios update for my Ryzen machines. :)

Welp, I am installing the apps on my Lumia 950 that just works, since it is a new one. Also waiting on the updates to my Honor 6X, that I have not yet received but read that it has and is being released. I just want a glance screen, which I understand Android 7 has.

I'll throw my bit in here:

I love Windows 10. I LOVE Windows 10. I LOVE WINDOWS 10!!!!!! Ok, Satya, where's my check now? ;)

On a more serious note:
I have never upgraded a major version OS (any flavor) without having some issues with programs or hardware unless it was a limited use machine. But for the most part, since XP sp2, MS Windows OS "just works." No hunting for work-arounds, or special scripts, or alternate configs. Windows 10 has been one of the easiest to install an get running of any Windows versions for me.

I must say, the right-click power menu introduced in Win 8.1 is very addictive. We are quite behind the upgrade schedule at work (just now phasing out Vista machines for 7), and I am constantly right-clicking on the start menu, getting frustrated that I can't do anything with that action!

You guys keep trying really hard to steer this thread off the rails and as yet, have not been successful. :D Windows just works, that is the plain and simple truth, facts are facts but hey, common sense is the new hate speech. :D My machines have not in any crashed, spied on me or caused me undo angst but hey, I also have already dialed in my overclock and am done until the next bios update for my Ryzen machines. :)

Welp, I am installing the apps on my Lumia 950 that just works, since it is a new one. Also waiting on the updates to my Honor 6X, that I have not yet received but read that it has and is being released. I just want a glance screen, which I understand Android 7 has.
Tried hard? naw. I agree windows works. 7 is the best MS has to offer. 8.1 is a decent runner up with 10 lagging behind. I don't hate MS.

I sadly don't need a new cpu/mb. I would love to play with a new AMD cpu.

I'll throw my bit in here:

I love Windows 10. I LOVE Windows 10. I LOVE WINDOWS 10!!!!!! Ok, Satya, where's my check now? ;)

On a more serious note:
I have never upgraded a major version OS (any flavor) without having some issues with programs or hardware unless it was a limited use machine. But for the most part, since XP sp2, MS Windows OS "just works." No hunting for work-arounds, or special scripts, or alternate configs. Windows 10 has been one of the easiest to install an get running of any Windows versions for me.

I must say, the right-click power menu introduced in Win 8.1 is very addictive. We are quite behind the upgrade schedule at work (just now phasing out Vista machines for 7), and I am constantly right-clicking on the start menu, getting frustrated that I can't do anything with that action!

Yeah, I end up doing that right click menu bit on Windows 7 quite a bit as well. :D

I am stating I have run 7 and 10, and there is 0 difference for gaming and browsing. I also don't have to run 3rd party software to rid the OS of virus's/spyware or make it work how I like it.(play games/browse mostly)

If I were to wipe Windows 10 from my sig rig and install Windows 7, a good bit of what I use now simply wouldn't work or be available. And as time moves on, Windows 7 is simply going to see less and less support. You may not use any of this stuff and refuse to use anything that's not compatible with 7 and that's your call but it doesn't change the reality of what's out there.

The inept WU in Windows10 caused me grief last night too. I took a work laptop home to update it to have it ready for this morning. Sits there at 0% downloading for 10-15 minutes. That wasn't even the start of it. I love how a plugged in Windows 10 laptop in the middle of downloading updates (that I FORCED) goes to sleep because I wasn't using it. Really? Seriously? The fucking OS went to sleep while doing a task I TOLD IT TO DO. After waking it back up I had to reboot the god damn thing before it would even resume the download which was at 95%. That's just a horrible user experience. Windows 7 never did that shit to me. Windows 7 updates certainly weren't perfect and it had it's own problems but things were far better than what we have with Windows 10.

To top it off the laptop didn't even have all the updates. Got up this morning, turned on that laptop (it shutdown after those updates finished because it rebooted and sat at the Bitlocker screen which was expected behavior) and still had more updates. WTF? What happened to rolling release? :rolleyes:

Then I got to work and checked one more time. STILL MORE FUCKING UPDATES. The best part I had to reboot the laptop again after that update. Third reboot just to update the damn OS. That reboot was required for a fucking MOUSE DRIVER. Why in the name of all that is holy do I have to reboot for a fucking ALPS Mouse driver? Only Windows Update could be that inept at what it does.

On Windows 10 at work I have had so many machines corrupt their SoftwareDistribution folder that I've lost count. I almost never had that problem on Windows 7. It was very rare. Sad part is it isn't even as easy to fix as it was with Windows 7. With 7 I could just stop BITS and WU service, delete the cache folder, start the services again and update the machine. It was quick. It was simple. It was easy. It was 3 command lines at a command prompt and then two mouse clicks to open Windows Update and click Update Now.

You can't do that now. You have to go to safe mode in order to properly delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. Getting into Safe Mode now is a convoluted pile of extra bullshit steps. Whoever at MS decided to change it so F8 no longer brings up the Safe Mode menu is a fucking moron and needs to be removed from the gene pool. I mean it has to be easier to hold Shift while rebooting and getting a menu system and picking the right option! Easier right?

I can give you multiple examples of other update mechanisms that have never given me an issue (ymmv).

pacman
eopkg (used in Solus)
yaort
apt

Those just fucking work. I have an Arch install I haven't touched in 6 months. I could boot that now and be fully updated in probably 10 minutes. Best part is I don't even have to reboot. Oh and if the download cache actually does get corrupted (it can happen) for some reason? A single command line fixes it in just a few seconds and allows you to resume updating. No reboots. No Safe Mode. No bullshit. The package manager just says OK, I'm fixed. Let's update!

Try that with Windows. Oh wait I did last night. The laptop I was working on was built in January. Took me 3 reboots and a lot of bullshit to get it updated. And that doesn't even include the Creator's Update which it hasn't gotten yet. :rolleyes:

The inept WU in Windows10 caused me grief last night too. I took a work laptop home to update it to have it ready for this morning. Sits there at 0% downloading for 10-15 minutes. That wasn't even the start of it. I love how a plugged in Windows 10 laptop in the middle of downloading updates (that I FORCED) goes to sleep because I wasn't using it. Really? Seriously? The fucking OS went to sleep while doing a task I TOLD IT TO DO. After waking it back up I had to reboot the god damn thing before it would even resume the download which was at 95%. That's just a horrible user experience. Windows 7 never did that shit to me. Windows 7 updates certainly weren't perfect and it had it's own problems but things were far better than what we have with Windows 10.

To top it off the laptop didn't even have all the updates. Got up this morning, turned on that laptop (it shutdown after those updates finished because it rebooted and sat at the Bitlocker screen which was expected behavior) and still had more updates. WTF? What happened to rolling release? :rolleyes:

Then I got to work and checked one more time. STILL MORE FUCKING UPDATES. The best part I had to reboot the laptop again after that update. Third reboot just to update the damn OS. That reboot was required for a fucking MOUSE DRIVER. Why in the name of all that is holy do I have to reboot for a fucking ALPS Mouse driver? Only Windows Update could be that inept at what it does.

On Windows 10 at work I have had so many machines corrupt their SoftwareDistribution folder that I've lost count. I almost never had that problem on Windows 7. It was very rare. Sad part is it isn't even as easy to fix as it was with Windows 7. With 7 I could just stop BITS and WU service, delete the cache folder, start the services again and update the machine. It was quick. It was simple. It was easy. It was 3 command lines at a command prompt and then two mouse clicks to open Windows Update and click Update Now.

You can't do that now. You have to go to safe mode in order to properly delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. Getting into Safe Mode now is a convoluted pile of extra bullshit steps. Whoever at MS decided to change it so F8 no longer brings up the Safe Mode menu is a fucking moron and needs to be removed from the gene pool. I mean it has to be easier to hold Shift while rebooting and getting a menu system and picking the right option! Easier right?

I can give you multiple examples of other update mechanisms that have never given me an issue (ymmv).

pacman
eopkg (used in Solus)
yaort
apt

Those just fucking work. I have an Arch install I haven't touched in 6 months. I could boot that now and be fully updated in probably 10 minutes. Best part is I don't even have to reboot. Oh and if the download cache actually does get corrupted (it can happen) for some reason? A single command line fixes it in just a few seconds and allows you to resume updating. No reboots. No Safe Mode. No bullshit. The package manager just says OK, I'm fixed. Let's update!

Try that with Windows.

How much FUD and crap do you have here? If you have a number of machines having issues that are the same across the board, I would start looking into what is going on with your network or what is installed on these machines that is causing an issue. (Sorry but, Windows 10 update is not messed up and even if there were an issue, having the same issue across the board when most others are not typically points to something else.)

As far as cleaning out the Software distribution folder, it is exactly the same, you do not have to boot into safemode to get it done. Also, how is that F8 recovery menu working out for you in Linux. It is not that hard to hold the shift key, press restart, select startup settings, then select what you want to do. The F8 menu is gone because the machines no longer boot with Legacy mode, which the F8 menu is part of.

Of course, folks will claim I am just defending but then again, it is pretty easy to defend when incorrect information is given. Also, no reboots, no safe mode, no BS in Windows 10 either to clean out the software distribution folder. I am strictly guessing here but, did you actually not try to install the CU update with a flash drive? Since you took that machine home and it had the same issues as at the office, I would seriously start looking into what you have going on that is causing the issue. (Hint: Blaming Windows 10 does not resolve the problem, if you really want it resolved.)

As far as Windows 7 goes, how about trying to install SP1 on a corrupted installation after cloning it to another hard drive. Oh, and trying to do a repair install over the top in the Administrator account without having the exact same level of installation media that is on the machine itself. Oh, and you cannot remove SP1 if you need to because it is corrupted and, oh crap, looks like the machine has to be redone from scratch. Dude, you cannot BS someone like me, I have been in it a while and although I have not seen it all, I have seen quite a bit.

If I were to wipe Windows 10 from my sig rig and install Windows 7, a good bit of what I use now simply wouldn't work or be available. And as time moves on, Windows 7 is simply going to see less and less support. You may not use any of this stuff and refuse to use anything that's not compatible with 7 and that's your call but it doesn't change the reality of what's out there.
Like what exactly? Cortana?(never used it)
The little corner thing that pops up?

... I love how a plugged in Windows 10 laptop in the middle of downloading updates (that I FORCED) goes to sleep because I wasn't using it. Really? Seriously? The fucking OS went to sleep while doing a task I TOLD IT TO DO...

In the "System" settings did you have the "Power & Sleep" settings for when the laptop is plugged in to "Never" sleep or turn off or was it set to some wait period? If set to "Never" it shouldn't have shutdown. If not set to "Never" it was doing what it was instructed to do.

I recently replaced my Solus Budgie install with Solus Mate and forgot to dive into the power settings and I experienced similar activity that you described with it going to "sleep" and having a locked screen. I marked it up to User error. :D

Last edited:
Like what exactly? Cortana?(never used it)
The little corner thing that pops up?

Cortana, Windows Hello, support for tablets and 2 in 1s, a good number of store apps like Netflix and Hulu (yes there are web versions but the Netflix app now supports offline downloads), some DX 12 only games like Forza Horizon 3 which is pretty awesome, mGPU scaling in ROTR. Better multiple monitor and high DPI monitor support.

If you don't use any of this stuff then sure, 7. I do and 7 is pointless for me personally at this moment.

Cortana, Windows Hello, support for tablets and 2 in 1s, a good number of store apps like Netflix and Hulu (yes there are web versions but the Netflix app now supports offline downloads), some DX 12 only games like Forza Horizon 3 which is pretty awesome, mGPU scaling in ROTR. Better multiple monitor and high DPI monitor support.

If you don't use any of this stuff then sure, 7. I do and 7 is pointless for me personally at this moment.
Hulu/netflix works fine on 7. DX12 only games? haha. Enjoy a few fps lower or better.
Cortana/windows hello? Nope, never heard of hello. I use my tablet that is android based, works fine.

So, I am missing nothing. Thanks for clarifying! :)

Hulu/netflix works fine on 7. DX12 only games? haha. Enjoy a few fps lower or better.
Cortana/windows hello? Nope, never heard of hello. I use my tablet that is android based, works fine.

Come on! You're missing the endless fun of googleing fixes for the broken stuff! It's fun past time!

How much FUD and crap do you have here? If you have a number of machines having issues that are the same across the board, I would start looking into what is going on with your network or what is installed on these machines that is causing an issue. (Sorry but, Windows 10 update is not messed up and even if there were an issue, having the same issue across the board when most others are not typically points to something else.)

As far as cleaning out the Software distribution folder, it is exactly the same, you do not have to boot into safemode to get it done. Also, how is that F8 recovery menu working out for you in Linux. It is not that hard to hold the shift key, press restart, select startup settings, then select what you want to do. The F8 menu is gone because the machines no longer boot with Legacy mode, which the F8 menu is part of.

Of course, folks will claim I am just defending but then again, it is pretty easy to defend when incorrect information is given. Also, no reboots, no safe mode, no BS in Windows 10 either to clean out the software distribution folder. I am strictly guessing here but, did you actually not try to install the CU update with a flash drive? Since you took that machine home and it had the same issues as at the office, I would seriously start looking into what you have going on that is causing the issue. (Hint: Blaming Windows 10 does not resolve the problem, if you really want it resolved.)

As far as Windows 7 goes, how about trying to install SP1 on a corrupted installation after cloning it to another hard drive. Oh, and trying to do a repair install over the top in the Administrator account without having the exact same level of installation media that is on the machine itself. Oh, and you cannot remove SP1 if you need to because it is corrupted and, oh crap, looks like the machine has to be redone from scratch. Dude, you cannot BS someone like me, I have been in it a while and although I have not seen it all, I have seen quite a bit.

I don't need a safe mode or F8 for Linux. I just use clr-boot-manager to boot from the previous kernel and i'm running again if it's a kernel issue. If it's software package issue I just reinstall the old cached package. Done.

If you'd kindly give me the exact steps for deleting SoftwareDistribution I'd love to see them. As the old ones for BITS and WU stop the services but you still can't delete that folder. Trust me I tried. That's why I even know about this. I had to Google how to get into fucking Safe Mode for Windows 10 because that was the recommended solution for fixing the WU folder issue.

And it's all Windows 10's update bullshit. It's not the network because it happens at work at on my home network. It's not the build because the build process for our laptops recently changed completely and I'm still seeing this. Personally, I think it is the sleeping while downloading updates. I think that's a bug and it corrupts the folder.

In the "System" settings did you have the "Power & Sleep" settings for when the laptop is plugged in to "Never" sleep or turn off or was it set to some wait period? If set to "Never" it shouldn't have shutdown. If not set to "Never" it was doing what it was instructed to do.

I recently my Solus Budgie install with Solus Mate and forgot to dive into the power settings and I experienced similar activity that you described with it going to "sleep" and having a locked screen. I marked it up to User error. :D

With the Windows 10 laptops it's 30 minutes. However, as we know it's only 30 minutes if idle. The system was NOT idle. It was doing a task I told it to do. Windows update will wake a sleeping system at night when it does it automatically but it goes to sleep when updating manually? Makes zero sense.

I don't need a safe mode or F8 for Linux. I just use clr-boot-manager to boot from the previous kernel and i'm running again if it's a kernel issue. If it's software package issue I just reinstall the old cached package. Done.

If you'd kindly give me the exact steps for deleting SoftwareDistribution I'd love to see them. As the old ones for BITS and WU stop the services but you still can't delete that folder. Trust me I tried. That's why I even know about this. I had to Google how to get into fucking Safe Mode for Windows 10 because that was the recommended solution for fixing the WU folder issue.

And it's all Windows 10's update bullshit. It's not the network because it happens at work at on my home network. It's not the build because the build process for our laptops recently changed completely and I'm still seeing this. Personally, I think it is the sleeping while downloading updates. I think that's a bug and it corrupts the folder.

With the Windows 10 laptops it's 30 minutes. However, as we know it's only 30 minutes if idle. The system was NOT idle. It was doing a task I told it to do. Windows update will wake a sleeping system at night when it does it automatically but it goes to sleep when updating manually? Makes zero sense.

Well, I just did it on my machine that I am typing this on without going into safemode and it works. Perhaps the Windows update service is restarting well the files are being deleted? I have had that happen on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7 in the past.

Hulu/netflix works fine on 7.

Like I said, there are the web sites. I'm going on a couple of long road trips this summer and I'll be using the Netflix app with downloaded content. The Netflix web site is kind of pointless on 10 with the app.

DX12 only games? haha. Enjoy a few fps lower or better.

ROTR and Sniper Elite 4 scale nearly 100% under DX 12 mGPU, considerably more than a few FPS. And like a number of people here, there is a Forza Horizon 3 thread in this forum, I like that game. Ok, you have an Android tablet. That doesn't make Windows 7 work well on a Surface device.

If you're not missing anything from 10, fine. I'm not missing anything from 7. 7 just doesn't support a good deal of what I'm using now.

This is why I adjust the default Power settings to "Never" for when my laptops are plugged in. My definition of "idle" may be different than the OS definition. If I forget and the OS "reminds" me I take that to heart and adjust my understanding and settings to meet my needs. In this case, it seems the OS definition of "idle" hinges on the need for manual input by the User on a periodic basis. No mouse movement, tap, or keyboard use within a User specified period of time and it is considered to be "idle". I got caught by this in March and modified the settings on my Windows 10 laptop to account for my naps, absentmindedness, and laziness to avoid future recurrences. :D That's on me not the OS no matter which OS it is. Now if I could just remember to unplug my Windows 10 laptop when the battery is charged and I won't be using it in the next few days I won't get the "Hey! IDIOT! Do you want to save your battery or NOT???" notification when I do fire it back up and life would not be as stressful for me. :D

This is why I adjust the default Power settings to "Never" for when my laptops are plugged in. My definition of "idle" may be different than the OS definition. If I forget and the OS "reminds" me I take that to heart and adjust my understanding and settings to meet my needs. In this case, it seems the OS definition of "idle" hinges on the need for manual input by the User on a periodic basis. No mouse movement, tap, or keyboard use within a User specified period of time and it is considered to be "idle". I got caught by this in March and modified the settings on my Windows 10 laptop to account for my naps, absentmindedness, and laziness to avoid future recurrences. :D That's on me not the OS no matter which OS it is. Now if I could just remember to unplug my Windows 10 laptop when the battery is charged and I won't be using it in the next few days I won't get the "Hey! IDIOT! Do you want to save your battery or NOT???" notification when I do fire it back up and life would not be as stressful for me. :D

And I get that. I could easily change it but I'm not the one who is going to use the laptop. If it's a user who is downtown at the client site alot they probably want it to sleep often to save battery life.

The thing is I shouldn't have to change it. The OS shouldn't be doing that in the first place. It's not idle. It's downloading it's own updates that *I* told it to do. And if I'm right and that the system going to sleep while downloading is causing the SoftwareDistribution folder to corrupt then that's on MS and they need to fix their OS that supposedly "just works".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back