Windows just works and Other OS improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it works for some. Be nice to get rid of the virus's and bloatware MS put in it.

Just run a bunch of 3rd party software to make it bearable and you are good! Classic shell and that other one, shutup 10, and any others.

Win10's shell and UI for me are an absolute non-issue.

I dislike the Telemetry as much, if not more than, anyone else, but I just run O&OSU10 and get on with my life, because frankly it does everything that's reasonably easy to do, and if I spent more time on it I would break many things and waste my own time more than I'm prepared to.

It's not perfect, but there's one very specific example of where it sucks - Telemetry.

Everything else is pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned.

Need to fix the title of the thread to "Windows 7 just works..." :D

And just for the record based on my own experience of using the Windows operating system since pre-1.0 days so very long ago: most - and I do mean the overwhelming majority aka > 95% - of the errors that people do have when running Windows isn't with Windows itself meaning the core base OS but instead with third party drivers and software and there's a reason for that:

Because Windows is closed proprietary OS and only Microsoft itself truly knows every tiny last bit of the source code the best that outside developers could ever do is work with the info that Microsoft presents to them in terms of the APIs and HAL specs and they're on their own after that for writing drivers for the hardware that some manufacturers make and also software that some software developers make.

For that reason alone I would have to agree that - in all these years - Windows still continues to work as well as it does based on the near infinite variety of hardware configurations possible considering the decades of hardware development that have occurred since the early 1980s and continuing.

That's not to say that I favor what Microsoft is doing now with turning Windows into nothing more than a rolling release that's been more fraught with problems since Windows 10 first appeared than other versions of the OS - most notably Windows 7 - have not experienced. I've said it many times before: change for the sake of change alone is not a good thing, ever.

<cue heatlesssun's entrance...> :D
Yes, Windows 7. The last of MS's great OS.
But then the title could of meant any version. :) So I pick 7.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Dude, if you have an issue, take it somewhere else, that is not the place for it. Also, there is nothing click baity about the title, it is what it is. If you are not interested, what the hell are you doing here? You will not derail this thread with your crap, period. Sad thing is, you could have just shared the Amiga part and that would be cool but no, you just cannot help yourself, eh?

As stated ManOfGod, I have no intention in participating in the Windows side of this discussion for the reasons mentioned.

Sent you a PM as these forums aren't the place for useless blubbering.

The only real reason for Guru Meditation's under AmigaOS was the complete lack of protected memory in one of the first preemptive multitasking operating systems made available to the consumer in the 80's.

Amigas were the first and still this to this day the only personal computers that have hardware-based multitasking from the ground up - every personal computer ever made and every operating system that's ever been made for those personal computers except for the Amigas have been software-based multitasking of various kinds and methods.

Amigas were, are, and will forevermore be the best personal computers ever made in my not entirely so humble opinion and I miss them and the fun times long long ago. I had an Amiga 500 way way back in 1985-ish along with the superb 1080S monitor and loved every second of owning and using it because things were actually fun back in those days.

And I do tend to agree on the attacks thing yet once more that's being pointed out - it's a bit silly, isn't it? :confused:

Amigas were the first and still this to this day the only personal computers that have hardware-based multitasking from the ground up - every personal computer ever made and every operating system that's ever been made for those personal computers except for the Amigas have been software-based multitasking of various kinds and methods.

Amigas were, are, and will forevermore be the best personal computers ever made in my not entirely so humble opinion and I miss them and the fun times long long ago. I had an Amiga 500 way way back in 1985-ish along with the superb 1080S monitor and loved every second of owning and using it because things were actually fun back in those days.

And I do tend to agree on the attacks thing yet once more that's being pointed out - it's a bit silly, isn't it? :confused:

No ones attacking anyone. I'm entitled to an opinion and as I stated I have no intention in discussing the merits of Windows in a thread such as this.

I love my Amiga's. I still to this day have a fully expanded A500 and A1200. Both running AmigaOS 3.1, both running 68030 accelerators overclocked to 40mhz, both running 128MB of fast ram with CF based HDD's and Indivision VGA/DVI scan doublers. Still to this day amazing machines.

No ones attacking anyone. I'm entitled to an opinion and as I stated I have no intention in discussing the merits of Windows in a thread such as this.

I love my Amiga's. I still to this day have a fully expanded A500 and A1200. Both running AmigaOS 3.1, both running 68030 accelerators overclocked to 40mhz, both running 128MB of fast ram with CF based HDD's and Indivision VGA/DVI scan doublers. Still to this day amazing machines.

You know, it is a damn shame you cannot stop the attacks and bashing, which you are constantly doing and then denying. If you could just leave that out and actually have a discussion of the Amiga part, that would be enjoyable. Alas, you have yet to do that and have proven you do not desire too. Oh, and the MOAB bomb was the opinion directed at Isis but, it was still an attack.

You know, it is a damn shame you cannot stop the attacks and bashing, which you are constantly doing and then denying. If you could just leave that out and actually have a discussion of the Amiga part, that would be enjoyable. Alas, you have yet to do that and have proven you do not desire too. Oh, and the MOAB bomb was the opinion directed at Isis but, it was still an attack.

As stated, I have already sent you a PM. There was no attacking in my post, I am not obliged as a [H] user to be post in a manner that portrays Microsoft in a constant positive light. If you have an issue with my postings feel free to reply to my PM.

This thread is not the place for playing the victim.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled program and getting this back on track. Windows just works, which is fantastic too me considering how the days back in the 90's were. We have come a long way baby. :)

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled program and getting this back on track. Windows just works, which is fantastic too me considering how the days back in the 90's were. We have come a long way baby. :)
I would almost rather use the Amiga OS or a OS from the 90's instead of Win 10.

It is too bad that all apps and games don't work on Linux. That is the only reason to use Windows. It's more default than want to use.

I would almost rather use the Amiga OS or a OS from the 90's instead of Win 10.

It is too bad that all apps and games don't work on Linux. That is the only reason to use Windows. It's more default than want to use.

Not me but, I did love my Amiga.

I agree with the OP. Everything feels solid right now and progressed.

OSX - OSX doesn't really ever change. It was solid for a long time and Apple does a good job of keeping it that way. You expect a solid experience and you get one. People will complain about how exclusive and walled OSX is, but there is a draw to that. For productivity, my Macbook Pro is my go to. It always gets packed on my trips because it's the whole package for me. I run a Windows VM on it and I have everything I need.

Linux - Linux is always getting better but there are some key things that I think need to change. They need to come up with a few standards that span across distros. Watch the "Linux Sucks" presentations on youtube to get a taste. For an every day OS though its leaps and bounds better than it was even 5 years ago. If you stick with a distro like Ubuntu or Mint and don't mess too much outside of its natural ecosystem, you will have a great experience on almost any hardware. A lot of people still hold onto the memories of a few years back when you were lucky to find a distro that would have a driver for your wireless card.

Windows - I like Windows 10 a lot. Sure it has its cons, but the pros outweigh them for me. I had some issues with it after doing an in place upgrade from Windows 7, but every fresh 10 install I've done has just worked. In terms of stability, I think its Microsoft's best OS.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what you mean, it is terrible how my 3 Windows 10 computers and Surface Pro 3 are crashing everyday, it is just so frustrating. /s :rolleyes:
Oh, i read it and saw the /s. For a minute I was like, so that is just normal.

Just a bump to remind everyone, Windows just works, and it does. :) (Windows Mobile does too except that the new CEO killed it off, idiot. :( )

Just a bump to remind everyone, Windows just works, and it does. :) (Windows Mobile does too except that the new CEO killed it off, idiot. :( )
Of course he is an idiot. Look at how crappy he made 10 so far. They need somebody with a few brain cells to make Windows great again!

Of course he is an idiot. Look at how crappy he made 10 so far. They need somebody with a few brain cells to make Windows great again!

It's not 2009 anymore. Sure, Microsoft could make a "proper" Windows 7 replacement and concentrate on the desktop and add all kinds of stuff that might make folks in places like this happy while the rest of the world really doesn't care so much about desktops in an area that Microsoft dominates. And if you look at one area that would be of concern to Microsoft, like Chromebooks, well the reception to creating something similar doesn't get a lot or praise around here because "Oh no, Microsoft is trying to turn Windows in a walled garden and take 30% of the top of all software sales."

Bottom line, with something as old and prolific as Windows there's really no way to make everyone happy and I don't think the a return of the good old days of the desktop is particularly or interesting outside of nerd circles. Not saying things can't be better, just nothing short of miraculous matters as much as some think IMHO. If people were really crying out for the ultimate desktop OS wouldn't we all be using Linux by now? There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it according to its supporters and it's much better than Windows. Except when it's not.

I do not agree but, they are a few things they could have done much better when it came to the initial and rolling release of Windows 10. It is getting better though. No, the real mistake came with Windows 8, although I personally liked it. It was faster and smoother than Windows 7 but, I was running an AMD FX Processor so that could have something to do with it. Also, the stupid FUD surrounding it, like MS was trying to kill off the desktop, really did damage Windows as well. The real problem with Windows 8 was that sink or swim attitude when they released it, there was no training material at all.

At least when Windows 95 and the start menu was released, they at least showed people how to use it. No, the reason I think he is an idiot was when he basically killed off Windows Mobile platform

No, the reason I think he is an idiot was when he basically killed off Windows Mobile platform

Not the decision I like but it was the financially correct thing to do. Microsoft could have thrown a lot more money at it and been in a better market position but at a great cost. But he's created a lot of uncertainty in that I don't think Microsoft is going walk away from phones entirely but I'm guessing that Windows mobile as a standalone OS is dead and that future Windows phones will run something like 10 S or Pro. Essentially one OS for everything which would really have been awesome 10 years ago if say Windows Vista could have run desktop apps and run on a phone with mobile apps.

It's not 2009 anymore. Sure, Microsoft could make a "proper" Windows 7 replacement and concentrate on the desktop and add all kinds of stuff that might make folks in places like this happy while the rest of the world really doesn't care so much about desktops in an area that Microsoft dominates. And if you look at one area that would be of concern to Microsoft, like Chromebooks, well the reception to creating something similar doesn't get a lot or praise around here because "Oh no, Microsoft is trying to turn Windows in a walled garden and take 30% of the top of all software sales."

Bottom line, with something as old and prolific as Windows there's really no way to make everyone happy and I don't think the a return of the good old days of the desktop is particularly or interesting outside of nerd circles. Not saying things can't be better, just nothing short of miraculous matters as much as some think IMHO. If people were really crying out for the ultimate desktop OS wouldn't we all be using Linux by now? There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it according to its supporters and it's much better than Windows. Except when it's not.
When you give an "upgraded" OS away for free, and not a whole lot of people bite, so you go to using virus's/malware to get people "upgraded", then there is something wrong.
If they would offer the user options, all would of been nice. People are still PAYING for Win 7 licenses? To me that speaks volumes.

When you give an "upgraded" OS away for free, and not a whole lot of people bite, so you go to using virus's/malware to get people "upgraded", then there is something wrong.
If they would offer the user options, all would of been nice. People are still PAYING for Win 7 licenses? To me that speaks volumes.

Well, "not a whole lot" of people is still more than anything not called Windows. Controlling updates, Aero Glass, tabbed filer explorers, etc, sure that stuff gets people in places like this pumped but at the end of the day average people don't really care and if they have a PC that does what they need it do they're happy. Could Windows 10 be doing better, sure. Lot's better, probably not, that's just the nature of the desktop. But it's not a failure and as enterprises start gearing up for it like we are, it's going to see strong growth starting next year because enterprises don't wait till the last minute and they pretty much have to being ready to start mass deployments next year to be ready for the 7 cut off in 2020. And while I think Microsoft will extend it, they aren't going to do the XP thing again and I think for all of the problems that people talk about Windows 10 here, they don't exist in the enterprise where there is much more control over things.

For years people have complained about Windows being insecure and getting infected by viruses, trojans, and malware. With a vast majority of PCs running the Windows OS it's not surprising as that OS is the most "target rich" one in play. Unpatched systems were said to be a contributor to the problem. Microsoft has tried addressing the problem of systems not be updated in a timely manner with Windows 10 with "forced" updating. Since they assume most "vanilla" users of PCs would opt for the lower cost, fewer bells and whistles approach, Windows 10 Home is fairly well locked down. For those that need more "control" Windows 10 Professional offers the user a somewhat greater latitude. Large institutions have the greatest degree of "control" with the Enterprise edition.

The AU version began a process of locking down the "control" factor and the pendulum seems to have swung to far toward the "lack of control" side. In response, some easing has begun to show up in the Professional and Enterprise editions. Home not so much, but I don't find that surprising as that genre has always had the least ability for a User to modify it. I imagine that it will take some time for Microsoft to reach a balance that is more to the liking of the Enterprise and Professional edition users. The Home users will probably have to be thankful for any easing they see especially in regard to updating.

Microsoft is between a rock and a hard spot as I see it. They are condemned for having had an insecure OS since "Christ was a corporal" and they are condemned now for taking steps to try to reduce that level of insecurity.

Personally, I routinely update my Windows and Linux PCs just as I do my Apple products. The forced update regimen doesn't bother me since I'm retired and my PCs are for my use and enjoyment and not work. On my Linux and Windows machines I check for updates several times a day. The checks on the Windows PCs are primarily on the antivirus/trojan/malware applications and on those running Linux it is for Required/Security Updates/ Other Updates to use Solus as an example. These checks turn up updates multiple times a day on the Windows machine and on Linux updates are available 4 to 6 days a week. I'm sure my routines are even close to being in the "normal" range :D

WU doesn't just work, just yesterday it stopped working for no good reason.

WU doesn't just work, just yesterday it stopped working for no good reason.

Then by your definition, nothing just works, including the Linux Desktop or Macs. In fact, nothing at all computer related or man made just works, according to your definition. Therefore, you definition is flawed.

Then by your definition, nothing just works, including the Linux Desktop or Macs. In fact, nothing at all computer related or man made just works, according to your definition. Therefore, you definition is flawed.
a2a2e22344a7c3dac541d55f4622f326.jpg

Get your head checked man. Either someone pays you to spew that shit or you're religiously obsessed with Windows.

Get your head checked man. Either someone pays you to spew that shit or you're religiously obsessed with Windows.

So in your mind one has to hate Windows otherwise they're religiously obsessed? Can't people just like something that works for them?

So in your mind one has to hate Windows otherwise they're religiously obsessed? Can't people just like something that works for them?
Windows 7 rocks and is the best MS has put out. I wish they could make one to surpass it.
I love windows 7!

No, Windows is flawed. Updater in Elementary has never stopped working.

No, Windows is flawed. Updater in Elementary has never stopped working.

Nope, Windows is not flawed but, then again, it does not really matter one way or the other. :D Oh, and I had the exact same issue on an Windows 7 computer yesterday which meant the issue was on the server end. Linux is hardly error or problem free so but hey, why acknowledge facts when you can just ignore them.

Edit: And I am certain you had, have or will have problems even with you Linux installation sooner or later. Nothing is 100% perfect when it comes to man made stuff.

Last edited:
Windows 7 rocks and is the best MS has put out. I wish they could make one to surpass it.
I love windows 7!

Windows 7 was great for 8 years ago. Today it's just really in step with consumer computing. And I know that some feel the desktop is the desktop but that's just not enough today I think. For me, 7 doesn't work with enough hardware and software that I have now that 7 is pointless for me personally.

Oh, and to reiterate right from the start, Windows and the Other Operating Systems just work. Sure, there are problems just like any other man made tech but, if something just working means there is no problems at all, then that means that nothing at all just works, and that means NOTHING! ;)

So let me get this straight, this thread was created so that ManOfGod and Heatlesssun could force their opinion that Windows 10 is awesome and anyone that opposes that opinion gets accused of 'striking a nerve' or told "it's completely normal"?

Because that's how this thread seems to be panning out. :)

So let me get this straight, this thread was created so that ManOfGod and Heatlesssun could force their opinion that Windows 10 is awesome and anyone that opposes that opinion gets accused of 'striking a nerve' or told "it's completely normal"?

Because that's how this thread seems to be panning out. :)

So, I assume you are out of here, thanks, appreciate it. :) On a different note, I just received a new Lumia 950 to replace the broken one that was under warranty and I was not expecting it back so quickly. :D I love getting unexpected packages in the mail and I have to so, I love the Windows Mobile platform, which in and of itself, just works and is well integrated. However, it does little good since the OS is now dead because of MS themselves. Therefore, no new apps and what is left is going to slowly go away. :(

On a different note, I am thinking of making my Lumia 650 an Clock in my bedroom and alarm clock with an App I have found. I will probably buy it and just plug my 2.1 speakers into the phone, I just need to find a way to put the phone so that it works the way I want it too. I do not like Android all that much but, at least it works as well and I have not had to restart my phone at all so far. Things load faster on it too. (Honor 6X)

But it is a fact, if something does not just work because you run into a problem, then nothing just works, including Linux, just the facts, whether they are liked or not. However Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS and Windows Mobile does just work. :) Most problems that are blamed on the OS usually are not an OS issue, including the 4.11 kernal problem discussed in the Linux thread, it was an Nvidia driver issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back