WIndows Interrupts Chrome and Firefox to Promote Edge

Both are lame but there's a distinction between OS levels ads, and browser level ads. When a users PC shipped with Windows 10 they're captive to the OS level shit and there's no easy or user friendly way of getting away from them.

Microsoft is also pathetically resorting to scare tactics to once again prey on unsophisticated and non-technical users "You want to be safer don't you?" -- F off.

MS is doing everything *except* the heavy lifting of building the amazing browser the ads claim. If they'd do that, the usage increase would happen organically.

The entire Metro era of suck has been plagued with half efforts, aborted initiatives and abandoned platforms. They've never really tried and given things a full effort but then are surprised nobody cares.
There is no lock in. We are talking about a popup. One that goes away once you have installed your alternative to Edge. Where as google services will bug you every time you go to their site with something other than Chrome. That one is an OS, one they keep trying to position as a service, and another is a large group of cloud services, including an OS, does not change that they are both trying to leverage you into their respective browsers.

Not saying MS is good here. Just saying that their competitor, Alphabet and Apple, are no better. Well they are better at making a mobile device OS, app store, and browser, but that is a whole other thread.

Last edited:
In Windows 10 you can disable IE, but note that all those nifty Steam shortcuts to games will no longer work.

Open Windows Settings and click Apps. In "Apps & Features" there is a link on the right side to click: "Programs and Features". From there you click on "Turn Windows features on or off". Now, have "Internet Explorer 11" unchecked, and reboot.

Pretty sure that would remove internet explorer and not edge

You have to use PowerShell running as admin and run remove-appxpackage (package name of edge)

They're in a weird spot with Edge. IE is really only still used because some antiquated plugins/sites still require it. Chrome is already quite well-established and to an end user, there is no reason to switch to Edge.

Asking a question you already know the answer to is a type of trolling, no offense. You're a bright guy with your ear to the ground around here, you've heard all the complaints.

Nobody would mind using Edge if Microsoft had given people a reason to. A big part of the problem was "first impression" -- it was absolutely awful for the first two years of its life, since it was a crappy store/mobile app masquerading as a desktop app - you couldn't even drag&drop to/from it. Someone opens a new tab and it freezes on them, guess what, that's a user lost forever because they're closing it and never looking back, no matter how much MS swears they improved it finally three years after the fact.

But its main problem is it doesn't really do anything better than entrenched leaders. Its still a pain in the ass to get plugins, and it still only works on Windows 10. Alienating Windows 7 and 8.x users was also a colossal fucking blunder, especially when Chrome and Firefox do not. MS's mid-2000's arrogance simply doesn't work in the current computing era.

I wasn't trolling. I use edge on a pretty regular basis. I never really had it crash on me and it loaded up fast. I use chrome when working on docs.google or going to new website's for research. Even engineers toolbox.com has been infected before. So I play as safe as I can when doing research. (Although Edge does fine here also. It's just not as robust on security sandboxes from the charts I looked at)

That said, I will agree with your points. They shouldn't have isolated Win 7/8 users. And the plug in support is horrid. Microsoft has made large strives to fix multi platform supposed with UWP. I wish they would make a UWP type platform for plug-ins with firefox/Chrome/Edge. Code it once and get it for all 3. I think that would solve a few problems. But I'm not exactly sure the API entry points. So it may not be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back